• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Heroes vs Villains theme?

This is still a thing to this day?

I don't think Sakurai would just add a character just for the sake of it being a villain.

Surely there's a bigger criteria for adding new playable characters
No, you just add characters because they fill some arbitrary quota. It's why we're getting Gothitelle because we "need" a Gen 5 Pokemon rep.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Maybe you're not seeing the fact that, first, we get ridley, a villain, then that helps create an intro theme along other rivals to a trailer revealing yet another more rival, King K, to hint that we MIGHT be getting a reurring theme as time is passing. Sure, it's too early to say there is a pattern with just 2 villains, but if we keep getting more, people will eventually have to accept it. Also, so what if they are highly requested? they STILL make sense for such kind of theme, otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to announce villain after villain character. They could mix it up a bit if it wasn't really a recurring theme. IF we get another villain next, we can't be in denial about the theme. As for now, it's just AN IDEA that some of us we think MIGHT be happening. It might, it might not, but we can't be close minded about the possibility. That's why the theme is just part of speculation at the moment.
Nah it's just something to get ourselves going nuts.

If anything, the "theme" we are getting is heavily requested characters from the ballot. And that's working so far as all of the newcomers are very popular choices and heavily requested

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Nah it's just something to get ourselves going nuts.

If anything, the "theme" we are getting is heavily requested characters from the ballot. And that's working so far as all of the newcomers are very popular choices and heavily requested
Then let's just call it a theme of highly requested both heroes and rival characters from the ballot. Because so far, that's what we've been getting. It's a fact. Then again… that is kinda what we have in Smash after all… good guys… bad guys…if anything this theme has been going on since Melee, and right now it just feels stronger because of the amount of bad guys we are getting this time.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
-5 games, 2 of which are forgotten and one game loathed so much the franchise died
-A significantly larger lineup of games going to at least 2014 if you want to ignore the pachinko machines
WOW THESE ARE LITERALLY THE SAME HAHA ECKS DEE
I'm not in the mood to start a flame war right now, so I'll just leave it at this: We'll just have to see what the fans want, and whatever happens happens.

That's that.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Maybe you're not seeing the fact that, first, we get ridley, a villain, then that helps create an intro theme along other rivals to a trailer revealing yet another more rival, King K, to hint that we MIGHT be getting a reurring theme as time is passing. Sure, it's too early to say there is a pattern with just 2 villains, but if we keep getting more, people will eventually have to accept it. Also, so what if they are highly requested? they STILL make sense for such kind of theme, otherwise they wouldn't feel the need to announce villain after villain character. They could mix it up a bit if it wasn't really a recurring theme. IF we get another villain next, we can't be in denial about the theme. As for now, it's just AN IDEA that some of us we think MIGHT be happening. It might, it might not, but we can't be close minded about the possibility. That's why the theme is just part of speculation at the moment.
Eeeeh

You really think that during the early development of Ultimate Sakurai would just decide that a heroes vs villains theme will be present before even deciding what eventual newcomers in ultimate would be added?

Echos are another story due to them being created along the way

This 'theme' will just be a coincidence if skull kid were to be the next character for example.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
CastleVania is a dead franchise, and they got two reps

Crash has just been revived and is being pushed as one of the most requested 3rd parties to make an appearance in Smash via base roster or DLC

Banjo is also a legendary character that many beloved and is heavily pushed to appear in Smash

You were saying?
See my previous post

I can argue "Well Shovel Knight was one of the most requested third parties for a newcomer" because just like you, I don't have concrete evidence

Banjo isn't 'legendary', I feel like I'd see a significantly higher amount of Banjo inspired indie games then, similar to the amount of MetroidVanias

SirCamp

Smash Ace
We really need to stop looking for patterns where there likely aren't any. Even if we get a record number of villains in this particular roster of newcomers, that doesn't mean there was any intent behind that other than an attempt to add the best newcomers they could add. If there were a theme I imagine they would make it obvious. There is no reason to have a theme unless that theme is going to play into either gameplay (perhaps a storyline) or marketing or both. And at this point it doesn't seem to apply to the latter, so unless we find out that the supposed spirits mode has a heroes vs villains theme I wouldn't put any stock in that theory.

Not everything has a hidden meaning.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
If we need something like Heroes vs. Villains, i think better an Adventure Mode like Subspace Emissary.
Don't you agree?

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Eeeeh

You really think that during the early development of Ultimate Sakurai would just decide that a heroes vs villains theme will be present before even deciding what eventual newcomers in ultimate would be added?

Echos are another story due to them being created along the way

This 'theme' will just be a coincidence if skull kid were to be the next character for example.
eeehh did i ever said WHEN Sakurai decided that? … No I didn't. Yet it wouldn't surprise me. If it was decided since 2015, I'm pretty sure he's had plenty of time to decide what "theme" is he going for the next game if he also decided the newcomers by then as some people are saying here. Again, lol, no matter how many bad guys we get, people will keep denying it, it's funny to see really… I wonder what's the amount of bad guys we need to get for people to actually kinda be open to the "idea". Cause that's what i'm talking about anyways… just an idea.

KMDP

Smash Legend
She did, but unfortunately that was her only time going all Ozzy on Pit and has an actual height compared to Medusa or Hades (both are physically seen being super tall (Pandora also has a normal height aswell, but Amazons are always perfect))
Well, we know that Palutena usually goes around at "normal human size", and Medusa, in the original Kid Icarus is shown to be the same height (give or take), but is of a giant size in Uprising (and it's animated shorts).

We know that Thanatos can change size because of his animated short (where he takes a giant form).

I would guess that all the KI Gods have three sizes: a size relative to normal humans, a giant size and the super giant size; they are, however, limited to scaling (they remain the same height relative to each other when they take that form; Viridi in giant form is still shorter than Palutena in giant form, for instance). Obviously, this is headcanon... *shrug*

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How many "newcomers we wanted" left in Smash Bros Ultimate?
You mean big picks from earlier games?

Weeeeeeeeelllllllllll...

There's Krystal from the Brawl days who is an Assist Trophy
Ashley who is the prefered WarioWare option, also assist trophy
There's Waluigi who dumb people want in for the memes and smart people want in for his magnificent moustache, also assist trophy

There's Zoroark who is a Pokeball

As for what's left, there is Geno, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Michca (Radiant Dawn protag, probably spelt it wrong), Rundas (Metroid Prime 3, don't ask), Skull Kid and Sceptile (when we thought there was a pattern)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Did I just see that a franchise with a hit anime on one of the biggest streaming services in the world is a dead franchise?

I wish I lived in the reality of Smash Speculation.

That world is ****ing crazy.

D

Deleted member

Banjo's popularity is certainly blown out of proportion by his fanbase. His games weren't as influential as people claim them to be and they aren't remembered outside of the people who grew up with it.
Well, we know that Palutena usually goes around at "normal human size", and Medusa, in the original Kid Icarus is shown to be the same height (give or take), but is of a giant size in Uprising (and it's animated shorts).

We know that Thanatos can change size because of his animated short (where he takes a giant form).

I would guess that all the KI Gods have three sizes: a size relative to normal humans, a giant size and the super giant size; they are, however, limited to scaling (they remain the same height relative to each other when they take that form; Viridi in giant form is still shorter than Palutena in giant form, for instance). Obviously, this is headcanon... *shrug*
Why are we discussing sizes in a post-Ridley era?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I mean, saying that Banjo would be a ****ing boring choice isn't being trollish, it's my opinion, because I sure as **** can't get excited about a franchise I have zero affinity with being added in Smash
We could all literally say that about any character we don't care about or that we have zero affinity with being added in Smash, yeah. I will say it right now about Bandanna Dee. It's my opinion anyways lol

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Wait that's a pun?

Oh my god.

Like, "Punches In" as in "Arrives to the job"?

Is that it?

Four whole years spent watching that trailer so many times and I never got that!?
There's another layer to that pun.

Punch "Out".
Punches "In".

Yeah.

D

Deleted member

Did I just see that a franchise with a hit anime on one of the biggest streaming services in the world is a dead franchise?

I wish I lived in the reality of Smash Speculation.

That world is ****ing crazy.
Their last game was in 2014 though it was already rotting before that since they were Lords of Shadows games. The Netflix series was what revived interest in the franchise but Konami didn't even have enough trust in it for something more than a 4-episode season and hasn't move a finger on the franchise since then.
I mean, saying that Banjo would be a ****ing boring choice isn't being trollish, it's my opinion, because I sure as **** can't get excited about a franchise I have zero affinity with being added in Smash
I'm talking about Zampari

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Banjo's popularity is certainly blown out of proportion by his fanbase. His games weren't as influential as people claim them to be and they aren't remembered outside of the people who grew up with it.
Yeah i think i heard someone say this about Isaac too… *shrugs* are we really back to talking about characters "deserving" to be in Smash? cause if so, I'm out.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
That's perfectly fine. Not sure why you appear to be getting so angry because people like a character you don't though. Sure seems like there's more to it than just not caring for the series/character.

Regardless though, remember that this game isn't all about you. There are going to be character you don't care about. That is inevitable. I can't imagine it hasn't already happened in fact. There are plenty of characters people talk about that I have zero affinity for. Doesn't mean they shouldn't get added, I just wouldn't be excited for them. Some even that I think are actively poor fits for what Smash Bros (at least to me) appears to be trying to do. Again, it's not about me and it's not my choice. So no sense getting worked up over it.

Except Goku. We can all agree that Goku shouldn't be in this game right? ;)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
We could all literally say that about any character we don't care about or that we have zero affinity with being added in Smash, yeah. I will say it right now about Bandanna Dee. It's my opinion anyways lol
Ok. But I'm not going to whine about you not getting hyped for something you don't care about. I'd go "He isn't just a goomba with a hat!" but any Banjo fans would go "There are people who really liked those games" which is equal imo. Going "LOL CASTLEVANIA DIDN'T HAVE A GAME SINCE 2014 THIS IS THE SAME AS A TINY FRANCHISE THAT HASN'T HAD A GAME FOR NEARLY A DECADE" is ****ing dumb though

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Their last game was in 2014 though it was already rotting before that since they were Lords of Shadows games. The Netflix series was what revived interest in the franchise but Konami didn't even have enough trust in it for something more than a 4-episode season and hasn't move a finger on the franchise since then.

I'm talking about Zampari
I can guarantee everyone who liked your post thinks otherwise lol

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Netflix also had a say in release schedules and how many episodes are alloted per series and season.

Konami didn't just march into Netflix and go ''GIVE US 4 EPISODES NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS."

D

Deleted member

But more Xander Mobus tho.
So you're saying we should add Innes and Arvis?
Yeah i think i heard someone say this about Isaac too… *shrugs* are we really back to talking about characters "deserving" to be in Smash? cause if so, I'm out.
I'm not talking about "deserving" or not, I'm saying Banjo fans act like it's the Jesus of platformers when Mario 64 completely overshadows it in the N64 era and nothing after it took inspiration from it until Not Banjo Kazooie with the lizard and bat came out.
I can guarantee everyone who liked your post thinks otherwise lol
They fell into my like trap. Just according to plan.

Translator's note: plan means keikaku

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Guys please stop giving trolls attention.
Pfffft..

This is a forum about a popular nintendo video game.

No one trolls around here. We are all civilized people who respect others' opinions, right?

eeehh

Again, lol, no matter how many bad guys we get, people will keep denying it, it's funny to see really… I wonder what's the amount of bad guys we need to get for people to actually kinda be open to the "idea". .
eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh

If we get a newcomer roster consisting 50% of antagonists, i'll admit I was wrong

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I'm not saying that Banjo-Kazooie has a 100% chance, I'm saying that he doesn't have a 0% chance., and I wish people here would get off their high horses and at least try to acknowledge that fact. There are more than plenty of people who blow his chances out of proportion, but I'm sure as hell not one of them, especially considering we're talking Microsoft here. I'm not expecting him in, either, but I would consider it a pleasant surprise.

As for the people who say "He can't be in because he has a bunch of stinker games!": You could male the same argument about Sonic, but there was an immense enough amount of fan demand to get Brawl delayed just so he'd make the cut, and he got in 2 more times to boot.

As for the people who say "Castlevania isn't a dead franchise, we have the anime!": That's all well and good, but... where the hell are the games?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Ok. But I'm not going to whine about you not getting hyped for something you don't care about.
Neither am I dude, neither am I.
It's just funny to me that some people (not you) are trying to debunk whichever character i'm hyped about, or you're hyped about, or whoever is hyped about, just because they aren't hyped about it. I don't care if they aren't hyped about it, but to get back into the "deserving or not deserving" deal with characters for Smash is just stupid and i thought we were all past that paaages ago. (again, this isn't about you, i'm talking about others getting into that mindset again here, apparently.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom