• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Mario Bros would be better if it had Balloon Fighter's gimmick of no blast zones on the side but then how would anyone be KO'd? Even without the hazards it is a mess to move around.
You can still die off the sides on Balloon Fight. Basically if you're in hitstun when you cross the side of the stage, you die, otherwise you warp to the other side of the screen.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think you're all exaggerating Woolly World's playability. "Oooo, a transformation stage. This is the biggest piece of **** EVER!!!"
There's a difference between "transforming" like Delfino Plaza and actually transforming in the ****show that is Castle Siege and falling off because Sakurai thought "yeah the inside of a volcano is definitely fire emblem material"

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
That was Miiverse.

Whose exclusion is WAY more obvious than Woolly World...
Uh... we don't even know for sure that Woolly World isn't in the game. It's possible the final count is 103, but not for certain, especially with how the 3DS' Mute City is titled Mute City SNES despite it being the only Mute City stage we know of thus far.​

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think you're all exaggerating Woolly World's playability. "Oooo, a transformation stage. This is the biggest piece of **** EVER!!!"
I have no horse in this race at all but something tells me the reason you're defending it so hard is simply because it's Yoshi.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Also I would like to point it out again since it might get overlooked again.

Did yall noticed that Sakurai slowly show echo fighters from 1:1 echo fighter to echo fighters with unique animations?

Daisy and Richter were shown as 1:1 echo fighter (not counting victory pose, intros, taunts, etc) and so far, they are still 1:1 as far as we know.

then last two echo fighters were Dark Samus and Chrom which had their own unique animations which is even more than what Daisy could have gotten. So that made me suspecting that Sakurai could progressively show off echo fighters with more unique animations later on during Smash Hype. Ken was "leaked" to be in Smash Bros so it's more likely that Ken could get more changes than Dark Samus and Chrom. So it might bodied well for Dixie, Isabelle (if she's not unique) and few more characters where they could get more unique stuffs than Daisy or so.

D

Deleted member

It's less that the stage transforms and more than the entire stage (when it moves up) is composed of weight dependent platforms. Combine that with an awkward layout and the stage is really difficult to navigate for some characters. Most of the time when I play there (when it comes up on Random), the game just stops when we're in the sky, and no one does anything until it resets.

Also the grounding animation is really misleading. I think the ground's back but NOPE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I have no horse in this race at all but something tells me the reason you're defending it so hard is simply because it's Yoshi.
It's not my favorite by ANY stretch of the imagination (in fact, my favorite is a non-Yoshi stage), but when people put it in the same level as PAC-LAND I'm like "Are you serious?"

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I miss Mute City from Melee. I remember trying to destroy all the vehicles with the hammer with my bros.

Really stoked to see Brinstar Depths with grab-able ledges.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
There's a difference between "transforming" like Delfino Plaza and actually transforming in the ****show that is Castle Siege and falling off because Sakurai thought "yeah the inside of a volcano is definitely fire emblem material"
Excuse you, Castle Siege is awesome.

And there have been volcano type areas in Fire Emblem ever since FE2, thank you.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Excuse you, Castle Siege is awesome.

And there have been volcano type areas in Fire Emblem ever since FE2, thank you.
Excuse me, I'm not dumb and that's like your opinion man, thank you.
wait why are we being formal

I just find it weird about Castle Siege, it looks more like the place you fight Groudon rather than an actual level in FE.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Ok i dont know if someone made this theory before I joined or when i've been away but… Remember the Rivals pictures from the King K Rool trailer? Samus vs Ridley was one of them… Mario and megaman died in that reveal… Maybe the remaining character deaths will happen during fights against rivals themed from star fox, kirby, and the legend of zelda? Probably not and that was just to hint the theme of rivals/villains and that was it…but i thought it was fun to view those picts with such perspective.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ok i dont know if someone made this theory before I joined or when i've been away but… Remember the Rivals pictures from the King K Rool trailer? Samus vs Ridley was one of them… Mario and megaman died in that reveal… Maybe the remaining character deaths will happen during fights against rivals themed from star fox, kirby, and the legend of zelda? Probably not and that was just to hint the theme of rivals/villains and that was it…but i thought it was fun to give view those picts with such perspective.
But DK isn't dead and Bowser didn't kill Mario

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The issue with FE stages is that NONE OF THEM ARE REAL. (Except Arena Ferox, but come on, that's just Coliseum remixed)
They're just supposed to represent the """"""theme""""" of FE

It's like if the only thing we got to represent Zelda were three Temples.

Also, none of them are legal, but that's a personal issue.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me, I'm not dumb and that's like your opinion man, thank you.
wait why are we being formal

I just find it weird about Castle Siege, it looks more like the place you fight Groudon rather than an actual level in FE.
Excuse me, I'm sorry if I came across as abrasive and I appreciate you being formal, thank you.

And yeah, I wish it wasn't so generic either. I'd like another unique FE stage in general, tbh.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah I get why each of the character choice are the way they are, Sakurai's explained his reasoning after every character pick, but when you put all of that together as a whole, the logic behind it all's just really inconsistent.
That's because...
1. Sakurai's design philosophies change over time. He was a different man when he made Melee than he is now, so of course his logic won't all add up.
2. Decisions are often made on a case-by-case basis. People often call Sakurai a hypocrit for putting Lucina in Sm4sh but not Chrom, but that was because they already had Lucina in as a costume.
I'd love to have a talk with the fans of the worst stage ever:

I love it because it's awful. Trying to fight my opponent and that stage at the same time is a blast. I'd probably be less forgiving of it if it stayed like that permanently though.
There's plenty of fire and lava stages in FE. They're almost as much of a staple as the dreaded boat maps.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
As much as I hate Pac-Land i agree so much. 75m is probably the worst stage in the whole history of Smash Bros. I love that's it's a carbon copy of the original but it just doesn't work
I actually like 75m I don't mind a little chaos once in a while. But Pac-Land can Pac-up and leave.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I have a wierd thought.... what if there was a newcomer that's just a original "made-for-smash" character? Not from like Subspace or anything, but like a brand new character made specifically for the game...

Even then, what would they look like?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think athat both 75 mm and Wolly world would be very fun stages if the platforms were biggerspecially 75 mm! those platfors are so small that you cant barely run on them.

if wooly world sky platforms were bigger as to actual give enough space to 2 character be on them and not die horrible... the weight mechanich would be way more tolerable.

I want jungle Hyjinx to come back... even if is only the back stage... or the back stage and the front stage get merged in a horizontal stage.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I have a wierd thought.... what if there was a newcomer that's just a original "made-for-smash" character? Not from like Subspace or anything, but like a brand new character made specifically for the game...

I'm not opposed to the idea, but it'd have to be done right.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Which is especially weird when you look at Dark Samus who's had every facet of her effects and animations changed except the most important part, the moves themselves. Surely she of all echoes could've had the least bit time to be made into a small semiclone ala the Melee ones or Dr. Mario at least.
As a fan and supporter of Dark Samus and owner of the SSB4 era DS support thread, I’m ok with her as an Echo of Samus as that makes sense. I actually love her visuals. And do appreciate the team trying to make her attacks visually different from Samus. I would of proffered the Charge Shot acting more like Mewtwo’s Shadow Ball however. And I would of replaced the missiles with the homing balls of Phazon that she used in the Assist Trophy. Finally, it would be awesome if she used some sort of poison affect for her Phazon which would slowly damage opponents by trading damage output. Though there is no indiciation of that being an actual thing from what we can see.

Last edited:

A human form of the Master Hand? A jacked-up version of the Sandbag? Sakurai himself in the game?

Just joking obviously but that's an intersting thought.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

They'd have to be something hip an stylish, so they'd probably be in an anime style. You'd also want them to stand out in some way, so give them a crazy hair color, like blue. Oh, and they'd need some method of combat, so give them a sword. As for his name...uh, let's just call him Mike and call it a day.

Last edited:

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
question but what is that giant brain thing in brinstar? since the stage is remade... it dosnt look like mother brain... so what is it?

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
question but what is that giant brain thing in brinstar? since the stage is remade... it dosnt look like mother brain... so what is it?
It is supposed to be Mother Brain. Melee had a...weird artstyle.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hm...

Anyone more familiar with Imran? I know he's an insider as he was aware of the lack of multiple reveals at Nintendo's E3, but I'm curious what his full history is.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
To be fair I don't see why it was excluded that was one of my favorite stages. Wooly World is gone, but we still have Pac-Land?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom