• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I was nothing but calm and said “just my opinion.” -.-

What more do you want?
*sighs*

I specifically asked for their appeal to be explained to me, because I’m not stupid contrary to yalls belief’ and you just wanna act like I’mbeing an *******.

Maybe.....just MAYBE you could do me the service of explaining to me why the characters are cool like I asked instead of jumping down my throat for having a different opinion than you.

But of course you won’t because you gotta get those dank likes from other people who can’t read.
Not my job to educate you. Google exists, look it up

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Here's a list of stages in Smash 4 Wii U that weren't available in 8-player Smash (non Omega form) but still got into Ultimate:

Boxing Ring
Coliseum
Delfino Plaza
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Mushroom Kingdom U
Pilotwings
Pirate Ship
Port Town Aero Drive
Skyloft
Wily Castle
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island

Like I said, makes no sense why Woolly World is out...
Here's the bigger question WTF was Pac-land brought back

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pft yeah, that's as stupid as making Dr. Mario more than all of the echoes despite just being Mario in a lab coat.
That was all the way back in Melee though were they were looking for easy clones to pad out the roster. These days Echo fighters seem to be more about fanservice than about roster padding.

I like to argue that the real reason characters like Dark Pit and Daisy are getting special treatment is because they have different personalities, not different abilities. It's so that they can give them a completely unique set of taunts and victory animations to show who they really are. But Dry Bowser and Meta Ridley are literally just Bowser and Ridley - there's no reason for them to be more than just skins except if they really wanted to give Meta Ridley missiles or something.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Jungle Hijinx is great but I think the whole background and foreground thing probably made it impossible to work with for stage morphing. Not sure about OGA tho which I also think is dope.
Ok, I'll give that one a point (though they could probably force the hazard switch off for it on Stage Morph)

D

Deleted member

Here's a list of stages in Smash 4 Wii U that weren't available in 8-player Smash (non Omega form) but still got into Ultimate:

Boxing Ring
Coliseum
Delfino Plaza
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Mushroom Kingdom U
Pilotwings
Pirate Ship
Port Town Aero Drive
Skyloft
Wily Castle
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island

Because it's a bad stage

Also, every stage in Smash 4 is 8-Player compatible through modding. I haven't tested it myself so I can't confirm if there are performance drops, but all you have to do is change the max players to 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Don't remind me that Woolly World is cut for no apparent reason.

And no, I don't buy that particle effects excuse. The Switch can work around that...
Probably stage morph.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Boxing Ring
Coliseum
Delfino Plaza
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Mushroom Kingdom U
Pilotwings
Pirate Ship
Port Town Aero Drive
Skyloft
Wily Castle
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island

I don't mind its absence as it was a fairly bad stage to play on, personally.

As for why it was cut...morphing issues, maybe? I suspect Hijinx got the cut because morphing people in the background would be very complicated. Could see a similar scenario being the case here.

Last edited:

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice

Boxing Ring
Coliseum
Delfino Plaza
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Mushroom Kingdom U
Pilotwings
Pirate Ship
Port Town Aero Drive
Skyloft
Wily Castle
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island

hm i wonder if theres any photo/data of all them stages that shows if any stage are smaller then yarn morph 2?
does something like that exist?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Dry Bowser should just be a costume.

The fact it's not kind of makes me want DLC costumes for characters
Exactly. Dry Bowser has all the same abilities and personality as regular Bowser. He could have all the same animations and it would be perfectly fine. There is no reason to make him an echo.

Even Alph has a better reason to be an echo because he doesn't fly in the S.S. Dolphin.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
He was never in castle siege. It was a generic red enemy general since the beginning.
To be fair, while it's not the character, the generic general's design is a lot more similar to the Black Knight then it is any other enemy general across the series thanks to the color scheme (trading the silver trim for gold), helm shape, red cape, and the like. You definitely would be forgiven for mistaking the two at a passing glance.

I wonder why they haven't shown Dillon yet?

Taking him out completely? Upgraded to character?
Ideally the latter, I still think he'd be a fun character.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Apparently Dillon's latest game didn't do so good

The creators are hoping for a way to get more exposure to the character

And have talked about the possibility of making a Rolling Western RPG game
Could be interesting. Honestly I have nothing against Dillon as a character, in fact I think his design is pretty cool, but nothing about his games really appeal to me. Love me some RPGs though... lol

Hopefully they don't just discard him like so many other series for not living up to expectations. Like, I doubt we'll get another Chibi-Robo game at this point, which is unfortunate. Hopefully they continue to iterate on Ever Oasis as well. That game looked interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got a message that verge said "A pre-Sony character who has recently come back from the grave is coming to Smash"
Did he say that and who could it be?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And yet Pac-Land made it in...
I think I might like Pac-Land more than Woolly World. They're both terrible, I just find Pac-Land less terrible.

Both are better than Paper Mario's Bowser Castle though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That was all the way back in Melee though were they were looking for easy clones to pad out the roster. These days Echo fighters seem to be more about fanservice than about roster padding.

I like to argue that the real reason characters like Dark Pit and Daisy are getting special treatment is because they have different personalities, not different abilities. It's so that they can give them a completely unique set of taunts and victory animations to show who they really are. But Dry Bowser and Meta Ridley are literally just Bowser and Ridley - there's no reason for them to be more than just skins except if they really wanted to give Meta Ridley missiles or something.
Yeah I get why each of the character choice are the way they are, Sakurai's explained his reasoning after every character pick, but when you put all of that together as a whole, the logic behind it all's just really inconsistent.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Here's the bigger biggest x2 question why was Pac-Land made into a stage in The first place
Judging by all the attack animations Pac-Man has, and even victory poses based on Pac-Land, I'm going to assume Sakurai loves the hell out of that game... despite being awful

Pac-Man's taunt has been changed in Ultimate to include the fairies from Pac-Land instead of the Ghosts!

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Saving things as a future selling point is a stupid idea that assumes you'd succeed anyway regardless of your finished product. Also, I'm quite sure that's just not the developer saying during the interview "support this game and maybe we'll include your favorites in the next! nudge nudge, wink wink!"
Nah it makes a lot of sense. You can't put everything you want to put into the first game so you have to scrap ideas and save them for later. Blowing their load would be a horrible idea regardless. The game would still be in development for many years if they wanted to represent every game to a satisfying degree. That is not feasible in development. It's something you build towards.

And besides that, I could hardly call Awakening and Fates "bonuses" when they consist of more than 2/3s of the game's cast, including DLC.
Almost like they were the focus games or something. And the extras are Celica and Lyn.

Now that just sounds like excuses.
FE is a stat based game, that's why characters with entirely different universes fight exactly the same, even with said different stats?
That makes no sense, and it's a poor way to generalize a large portion of the FE cast.
Nah it's very faithful to the games.
It's class based with stats and available skills giving characters different areas of expertise and use. A cavalier has cavalier animations, not a different one for each character, what sets them apart is what stats they have, the skills they have and the weapon they're trained in. The same holds true for other classes. The only "unique" characters are ones that are important more often than not and even then some fall into generic classes like Micaiah in Radiant Dawn.

blackghost

Smash Champion
pac-land is the sharknado or the room of stages. its so awful that its good. played on that stage more times than i care to share. its always fun, frustrating, and entertaining. i can see how pac-land is fun from personal experience.

i need someone to explain how that brawl flower stage or 75 meters is back. maybe they had good experiences on those stages.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What is Hanenbow without stage hazards? The entire thing itself may as well be a hazard.

D

Deleted member

True, that was a mistake.

Likewise Hanenbow, 75m, Mario Bros, and Skyworld to be frank.
Maybe they'll at least allow you to warp to the other side of the stage on Mario Bros. sense you can do that on Balloon Fight.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And I like Woolly World (the stage). Subjective opinions on stages aren't reasons for exclusion and I don't think Sakurai takes that to heart...
The man doesn't do anything for Yoshi after almost 20 years, you'd think he'd suddenly show mercy now?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Excuse me that's like the best stage ever made
Ok BUT at least agree 75m and Mario Bros. are the worst stages to ever exist and should have been abandoned long ago.

Hanenbow and Skyworld just make me salty because Wolf's up-B basically screwed him over on both at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom