• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Meta Ridley is also on Ridley's site profile, in one of the pictures. They wouldn't do that if he was an echo fighter.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, it's still a great game..Hyrule Warriors did something similar with only having OoT, TP, and SS along with OCs and MM as DLC..at least FE Warriors had 5..even if it was just Lyn & Celica for two of them..should have expanded that with Ike and Roy as DLC instead of saving them for the next game..
Yeah but HW also had everyone be completely unique and had DLC to represent everyone else.

So far, Fire Emblem Warriors seems like it's far worse as a fan-service package, especially considering Hyrule Warriors came out years before.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I wonder why they haven't shown Dillon yet?

Taking him out completely? Upgraded to character?
As much as I would like Ray or Isaac, Having Dillon be a character would be pretty interesting. (Dillon still is going as a series.)

But honestly, we could apply that to Saki too.

In the end, we could say that they could get upgraded. But we don't know.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"So yeah let's ignore 80% of the franchise and uhh, just get the first game, and the 2 recent games."
"Lets focus on the original game and the ones people have actually played plus two extras, let's also not blow our load so we actually have a big selling point for future stuff"

The difference is that in Hyrule's case, no one was a clone.
Characters being clones in most cases makes sense to a degree because FE is class based, what matters is the stats. Ryoma and Owain have similar movesets but Owain has a magic stat equal to his strength stat so you can put stuff on him to get him to target Res instead of Defense. That is what FE is about.

That said I do have a few issues with some, namely Celica as a Marth clone and having the same archer moveset four times. At least have Takumi and Sakura retain the same moveset and then change Anna and Niles a bit because they aren't Hoshidan royalty.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
srsly why is that yoshi stage cut for???
probably because the second form is too small and scattered for 8 players. but then again, the third phase of Paper Mario's stage is coming back so maybe it's just for no reason

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently Dillon's latest game didn't do so good

The creators are hoping for a way to get more exposure to the character

And have talked about the possibility of making a Rolling Western RPG game

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
This

What potential boss characters could be weilding a gun?

That's something I'm curious about. The only idea I have is something in Metroid, but I can't think of anything
maybe the Shogun mech from Star Fox 64, AKA the “Cocky Little Freaks!” Boss on sector Y.
3C901879-94DC-4C1B-B9D6-A71458CAC57F.png

The guns aren’t an exact match, but the gun would be a good fit if Sakurai updates his design. Seem like a random boss idea but its the only one I can think of that uses a gun.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly, it's still a great game..Hyrule Warriors did something similar with only having OoT, TP, and SS along with OCs and MM as DLC..at least FE Warriors had 5..even if it was just Lyn & Celica for two of them..should have expanded that with Ike and Roy as DLC instead of saving them for the next game..
Yeah, but here's the thing with that. Most Zelda games share characters between them or all the most popular characters come from 1 or 2 games with the others being rather deep cuts. They had the chance to go full fan service blowout with Fire Emblem across 13 different games and they only chose to bring two characters from anything that wasn't FE1, Awakening, or Fates. And neither of them were Ike. The single most popular character in Fire Emblem wasn't included.

I mean **** dawg, I wanted to play as The Black Knight, Eliwood, Roy, Hector, Ephraim, Elincia, Hector, Greil, etc. but they limited themselves to hell. The game was an incredible disappointment for me. No, Lyn and Celica doesn't make up for the fact they neglected 75% of the other FE games.
In all fairness, it would have been really difficult for them to fully represent more than just a couple games. They could barely even represent three even when they took shortcuts. Not really points in its favor for longtime FE fans but at least there's an actual reason its roster was so much of a mess. I'm personally still salty that Camilla was the only playable wyvern rider at release. I was so certain they'd at least put Minerva in the base game.My personal favorite theory is that his Meta Ridley skin just wasn't polished enough yet to put in the demo build, so instead they put in the black alt as a placeholder. If he was an echo fighter, I feel like they would have said so during the initial reveal.
Have you seen the Warriors Orochi Games? There's literally hundreds of characters in each one of those games. The excuse that it would've been difficult for them to reach out to other games because there is so many is a poor excuse. Warriors Orochi pulls from Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Legends of Troy, Blade Storm, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, and a couple more that I can't even think of right now. Pulling from more than just 3 being too much to ask is just incorrect considering Omega's tendency for fanservice. There was really no excuse to leave all those characters out except for them trying to get the game out as fast as possible, which honestly just made the game feel cheap to me. Fire Emblem Warriors is "Missed Opportunities and Disappointment The Game"

Anywho, the reason I actually want Black Knight and, more so, Hector in Smash is because of how much they neglected the old fans in Warriors. Now we got to depend on a completely different franchise to get our fanservice from.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Apparently Dillon's latest game didn't do so good

The creators are hoping for a way to get more exposure to the character

And have talked about the possibility of making a Rolling Western RPG game
Honestly, being on the 3DS and NOT being a retail product hurt it's chances of success with its localization with PAL and US countries.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
oh never thought of that.... good point
Woolly World in Smash 4 wasn't available for 8 player Smash for that very reason. Is it confirmed that ALL stages in Ultimate have to be available in 8-Player Smash? Cause if that's the case, several stages from Smash 4 to Ultimate don't make the cut...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Honestly, being on the 3DS and NOT being a retail product hurt it's chances of success with its localization with PAL and US countries.
I was hoping for a retail release. I was so disappointed when I found out only Japan got it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
two extras, let's also not blow our load so we actually have a big selling point for future stuff
Saving things as a future selling point is a stupid idea that assumes you'd succeed anyway regardless of your finished product. Also, I'm quite sure that's just not the developer saying during the interview "support this game and maybe we'll include your favorites in the next! nudge nudge, wink wink!"

And besides that, I could hardly call Awakening and Fates "bonuses" when they consist of more than 2/3s of the game's cast, including DLC.

Characters being clones in most cases makes sense to a degree because FE is class based, what matters is the stats. Ryoma and Owain have similar movesets but Owain has a magic stat equal to his strength stat so you can put stuff on him to get him to target Res instead of Defense. That is what FE is about.
Now that just sounds like excuses.
FE is a stat based game, that's why characters with entirely different universes fight exactly the same, even with said different stats?
That makes no sense, and it's a poor way to generalize a large portion of the FE cast.

D

Deleted member

Woolly World in Smash 4 wasn't available for 8 player Smash for that very reason. Is it confirmed that ALL stages in Ultimate have to be available in 8-Player Smash? Cause if that's the case, several stages from Smash 4 to Ultimate don't make the cut...
According to the direct, all stages will now be usable in 8-Player Smash.

How that's supposed to work with that unplayable Bowser form on the Paper Mario stage is beyond me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People need to chill with the whole Echo fighter.

Like Meta Ridley,Dry Bowser? Come on people
Pft yeah, that's as stupid as making Dr. Mario more unqiue than all of the echoes despite just being Mario in a lab coat.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I was hoping for a retail release. I was so disappointed when I found out only Japan got it.
It's a shame, since I heard that the gameplay is much more refined than the last one.

But I didnt have time. Just wanted to buy physical games for my 3DS and switch. >.>

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
also good point... along with mute city from melee.

and note poke floats are not in for a ... reason... just think the battlefield and omega form.... fighting on a pile of pokemon flesh all shaped into a stage like that...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
stuff like that should be alts , but thats just my opinion
Echo fighters was both an official branding of the term “clone” and official recognization that clone characters do exist in order to legitimize padding the roster due to a lack of development time to create actual unique non-clone characters. And people ate it up.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dry Bowser should just be a costume.

The fact it's not kind of makes me want DLC costumes for characters

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Dude, Jingle Hijinxs was great!

And Orbital Gate Assault at least deserves props for being gorgeous.
Jungle Hijinx is great but I think the whole background and foreground thing probably made it impossible to work with for stage morphing. Not sure about OGA tho which I also think is dope.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Forget Bandana Dee, give me Caeda with the Wing Spear. :p

Saving things as a future selling point is a stupid idea that assumes you'd succeed anyway regardless of your finished product. Also, I'm quite sure that's just not the developer saying during the interview "support this game and maybe we'll include your favorites in the next! nudge nudge, wink wink!"

And besides that, I could hardly call Awakening and Fates "bonuses" when they consist of more than 2/3s of the game's cast, including DLC.

Now that just sounds like excuses.
FE is a stat based game, that's why characters with entirely different universes fight exactly the same, even with said different stats?
That makes no sense, and it's a poor way to generalize a large portion of the FE cast.
Awakening honestly hit the sweet spot. The focus was on three games, and together those three games got eighteen characters at base. Awakening getting six was perfect. Shadow Dragon getting only three while Fates got nine was the issue. Awakening was perfectly represented, Shadow Dragon was grievously under-represented, and Fates was totally over-represented. It should have been six each.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Have you seen the Warriors Orochi Games? There's literally hundreds of characters in each one of those games. The excuse that it would've been difficult for them to reach out to other games because there is so many is a poor excuse. Warriors Orochi pulls from Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Legends of Troy, Blade Storm, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, and a couple more that I can't even think of right now. Pulling from more than just 3 being too much to ask is just incorrect considering Omega's tendency for fanservice. There was really no excuse to leave all those characters out except for them trying to get the game out as fast as possible, which honestly just made the game feel cheap to me. Fire Emblem Warriors is "Missed Opportunities and Disappointment The Game"

Anywho, the reason I actually want Black Knight and, more so, Hector in Smash is because of how much they neglected the old fans in Warriors. Now we got to depend on a completely different franchise to get our fanservice from.
Warriors Orochi is a crossover between their own franchises, the bulk of which are in the same genre and others in genres not far off from a Musou, they can reuse a lot of assets to help develop the game.
For a series that doesn't have that luxury? Always expect a small roster. Zelda started with like 13 or so. Berserk didn't crack double digits. Gundam had 19 in the first game before getting a huge increase for the second one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Echo fighters was both an official branding of the term “clone” and official recognization that clone characters do exist in order to legitimize padding the roster due to a lack of development time to create actual unique non-clone characters. And people ate it up.
Which is especially weird when you look at Dark Samus who's had every facet of her effects and animations changed except the most important part, the moves themselves. Surely she of all echoes could've had the least bit time to be made into a small semiclone ala the Melee ones or Dr. Mario at least.

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
Dry Bowser should just be a costume.

The fact it's not kind of makes me want DLC costumes for characters
if project m can do it they can too

i also think evrey one forgot about the koopalings and alph , so they panic by saying ECHO FIGHTER , people should be noted about alt characters like the koops and alph

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Here's a list of stages in Smash 4 Wii U that weren't available in 8-player Smash (non Omega form) but still got into Ultimate:

Boxing Ring
Coliseum
Delfino Plaza
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Mushroom Kingdom U
Pilotwings
Pirate Ship
Port Town Aero Drive
Skyloft
Wily Castle
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island

Like I said, makes no sense why Woolly World is out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom