• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind one offs if they were one offs in Smash as well. It's funny how in other fighting games people are willing to accept characters coming and going or the entire roster getting redone. But Smash? Nah-ah. Everyone has to be there forever.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wouldn't mind one offs if they were one offs in Smash as well. It's funny how in other fighting games people are willing to accept characters coming and going or the entire roster getting redone. But Smash. Nah-ah. Everyone has to be there forever.
What, do people not get upset when their main gets cut in other fighting games? I have a really hard time believing that.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind one offs if they were one offs in Smash as well. It's funny how in other fighting games people are willing to accept characters coming and going or the entire roster getting redone. But Smash. Nah-ah. Everyone has to be there forever.
But that's how other games should be as well. Just because most fighting games don't bring everyone back, doesn't mean Smash doesn't need to. The idea of creating something with the purpose of throwing it away is stupid.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wow what a difference. My guess is that there were a lot more important characters to think about at that time. Now that pretty much all the most popular Nintendo characters are here, people now want things like Skull Kid.

Meanwhile I'm over here like "We got all the popular characters, so let's put in some obscure ones and expand people's awareness of some lesser known series like what happened with Fire Emblem in Melee."
Also worth mentioning that Brawl speculation was pretty split between Smashboards and Brawl Central, and a somewhat even split at that. Unfortunately Brawl Central is long gone, so for research purposes we can't really get the full image of character support from back then, we have to rely on our hazy and nostalgic memory.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Funnily enough, K. Rool had less replies than Skull Kid's "wouldn't he be cool?" thread. While Geno's support thread had 17,633.

Megaman had 14,522 replies. Isaac had 2262 replies.
People think K. Rool was always a top contender, but they're forgetting that at one point Diddy still needed to get in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wouldn't mind one offs if they were one offs in Smash as well. It's funny how in other fighting games people are willing to accept characters coming and going or the entire roster getting redone. But Smash? Nah-ah. Everyone has to be there forever.
Well, people didn't accept almost the entire roster getting booted from Soul Calibur V.

It's probably to do with Smash's identity as a mascot fighter, and one for Nintendo at that.

Nintendo has so many franchises, series and characters that everyone has subtly different opinions about who is important and who isn't.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Also worth mentioning that Brawl speculation was pretty split between Smashboards and Brawl Central, and a somewhat even split at that. Unfortunately Brawl Central is long gone, so for research purposes we can't really get the full image of character support from back then, we have to rely on our hazy and nostalgic memory.
You could look at internet archives for how it was at that point. I know it exists, but I haven't used those archives myself.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Smash is a celebration of Nintendo/gaming before it's a fighting game, tho, the comparison isn't exactly fair.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
But that's how other games should be as well. Just because most fighting games don't bring everyone back, doesn't mean Smash doesn't need to. The idea of creating something with the purpose of throwing it away is stupid.
Why do you think other fighting games get rid of veterans to begin with? It's because they want to make new fighters. That's why. And prioritizing veterans means less time to work on new things and it makes balancing things harder if your character roster keeps getting bigger and bigger each game.
Personally I'd rather developers prioritize new things than old.
Smash is a celebration of Nintendo/gaming before it's a fighting game, tho, the comparison isn't exactly fair.
Smash is a celebration of Smash. A lot of these characters people love and don't want to see cut is simply because they were in Smash and not because they were beloved otherwise.

Do you think that if Ice Climbers were never in Smash that people would be requesting for them today?

The truth is Smash could be an even better celebration of Nintendo if they cut fighters. There are too many Nintendo characters and Nintendo series for a single game to cover. But if each new Smash covered different characters and series of Nintendo history, then you could really call that a celebration.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
And none of that stops Chrom from being the single best possible addition this time around for me.
At least he's my new punching bag so it's a perfect way to set up a match for us :joyful:

I like this game I saw people on /v/ playing. Basically cross or mark the characters of which games you have actually played. I will include both template and mine.

View attachment 158216 ----------View attachment 158217
Rather odd considering I cannot open both attachments

So since I can't open, I'll just go ahead and put down which ones I've yet to touch

Dark Samus, Ness, Roy, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Lucas, Olimar, Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, Bayonetta, Inklings, Simon, Richter

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai tends to put in sidekicks before villains.
Thus, the ballot probably was villain heavy.
And therefore, we get Ridley, King K. Rool... and Skull Kid?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wow what a difference. My guess is that there were a lot more important characters to think about at that time. Now that pretty much all the most popular Nintendo characters are here, people now want things like Skull Kid.

Meanwhile I'm over here like "We got all the popular characters, so let's put in some obscure ones and expand people's awareness of some lesser known series like what happened with Fire Emblem in Melee."
This is what I like. When obvious choices get in, people can now notice character possibilities that have been right there all along.

It's not the size of the character roster, it's what you do with it. Consider Mortal Kombat Armageddon, which temporarily killed the series partially due to the fact that no one kept their own unique Fatalities, in favor of that flimsy Make-Your-Own-Fatality feature.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic must have a stage based on Sonic Forces.
Green Hill is too cliché.
If there was a 3rd Sonic stage based on Forces or whatever else, I think we would of already seen it. I think Green Hill and Windy Hill is it for Sonic stages. Sonic's already the only 3rd party in Ultimate to currently have more then one stage.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
You know what’s really fun? Not ******** about characters added in Smash. If you don’t like them, don’t play them. They’re not added for you anyways.

D

Deleted member

Man, and I thought my hate for Daisy was petty. You guys just keep proving me wrong and wrong again

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Confession time… this is a character i would be so happy to get in smash but i know will never get in.
Haseo.full.267945.jpg

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Why do you think other fighting games get rid of veterans to begin with? It's because they want to make new fighters. That's why. And prioritizing veterans means less time to work on new things and it makes balancing things harder if your character roster keeps getting bigger and bigger each game.
I can see where you're coming from. Honestly, I'd be pretty disappointed if Sakurai started from scratch with the next Smash game and brought back every character once again, but didn't have enough time to add many newcomers beyond clones and Echoes.

Ultimate is the best of both worlds, giving us both old and new alike. Unfortunately, the sad truth is that repeating this success is going to be extremely difficult. There wouldn't be time to make new stages or characters because all of the development time would be spent on bringing back all the old material.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know what’s really fun? Not ******** about characters added in Smash. If you don’t like them, don’t play them. They’re not added for you anyways.
A character added to a character based game isn't added to enhance my experience? Que?
I don't hate the inclusion any character by the way, I am the one advocating for even more Pokemon after all, I just don't know what you mean.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
While people are allowed to critique choices Sakurai makes, I don't think it's particularly nice to critique others for characters they like that managed to get in, regardless of what franchise has what already, or your thoughts on those characters.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I really hate to bring up personal arguments like this, but seeing as you're a DK / Yoshi main, it's probably a lot easier for someone like you to take that perspective then, say, a Pokemon Trainer / Mewtwo main such as myself. I know this is just purely subjective, but I don't think any newcomer will be able to excite me as much as getting Squirtle and Ivysaur back.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
A character added to a character based game isn't added to enhance my experience? Que?
I don't hate the inclusion any character by the way, I am the one advocating for even more Pokemon after all, I just don't know what you mean.
Like people complaining about Chrom or Dark Samus or any of the other echo fighters, just cause they’re angry about their addition, it doesn’t mean anything cause someone else wanted them in so they should let those people be happy that a character they wanted got in and use their time to complain about things that actually matter and not just about a video game.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I like this game I saw people on /v/ playing. Basically cross or mark the characters of which games you have actually played. I will include both template and mine.

View attachment 158216 ----------View attachment 158217
On the series that I have played so far:

:ultmario: :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina:- Since Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario Parties 1-5, Mario Golf 64, Mario Tennis 64, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy.
:ultdk::ultdiddy:- None for Donkey Kong. But for Diddy Kong, since Diddy Kong Racing 64.
:ultlink: :ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink::ultsheik: - Since Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.
:ultsamus: - Since Metroid Prime 2.
:ultyoshi: - Since Yoshi's Island 64.
:ultkirby: - Since Kirby's Power Paintbrush.
:ultfox: :ultfalco::ultwolf:- Since Starfox Adventures and Starfox 64 3DS.
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer: :ultpichu::ultlucario::ultgreninja:- Since Pokemon Blue, Gold, Sapphire, Diamond, Black, X and Sun.
:ultfalcon: - Since F-Zero GX.
:ultness::ultlucas: - N/A
:ultmarth::ultike::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultcorrin::ultrobin - Pretty much all of them.
:ultwario: - Since Warioware Smooth Moves.
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena: - Since Kid Icarus Uprising.
:ultolimar: - Since Pikmin 1.
:ultlittlemac: - Since Punch Out! Wii.
:ultsonic: - Since Sonic the Hedgehog on the Game Gear.
:ultshulk: - Since Xenoblade Chronicles 1.
:ultryu: - Since Capcom Vs SNK 2 and Street Fighter IV.
:ultmegaman: - Since Megaman 1 (on the Virtual Console for 3DS.)
:ultcloud: - Since Final Fantasy VII.
:ultbayonetta: - Since Bayonetta 1.
:ultvillager: - Since Animal Crossing DS.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Since Wii Fit on the Wii.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
A lot of these characters people love and don't want to see cut is simply because they were in Smash and not because they were beloved otherwise.
I feel like "a lot" is a stretch. Ice Climbers, maybe. But Duck Hunt, Sheik, Shulk, Robin? Nah, cutting them sounds like an awful idea. How can you possibly celebrate Nintendo by arbitrarily removing pieces of their history?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Fire Emblem has always been polarizing. Even the most acclaimed games in the fandom right now, FE7/9, were hated back when they first came out by the original grassroots ROM community; because they weren't FE4. I won't hide my criticisms of Awakening/Fates, but I don't see myself as petty enough not to call out of fans both old & new; the same goes for you Pokemon Gen 1 lovers & haters.
This is an definitely true. My first FE game was Radiant Dawn which I am given to understand was also an extremely polarizing entree. The Fire Emblem community is definitely a difficult one to please more often then not.

He actually is

Bad enough they made yet ANOTHER clone from Fire Emblem plus he’s a clone of a clone
Chrom basically comes down to a Marth-type character for the latest generation of Fire Emblem games just as many view Lyn from the GBA games. None of the three are particular complex or interesting but it mostly just a catalyst for the story and the other characters to rally around. Marth isn't really that interesting or complex of a character either when you get down to his core motivations.

It's probably to do with Smash's identity as a mascot fighter, and one for Nintendo at that.

Nintendo has so many franchises, series and characters that everyone has subtly different opinions about who is important and who isn't.
This is pretty much the core of everything, what is iconic and meaningful differs generally from one person to the others, which is why almost everyone can post an entire different roster if they were the ones making the decisions. There are always characters that people can't know or care enough to know as most people do not have the time to play every game that Nintendo puts out.

For example, I do not understand Waluigi appeal outside of the memes surrounding him. It's understandable though, I've very rarely played any of the sport spin off games he's featured in, Mario Party games, and never really had much interest in him in things like Mario Kart. I'm also aware though that's a issue with me specifically and not of the character's actual importance to anyone else. Doing that at least keeps me from ragging on things I don't understand.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be fair, not everything can be solved by not playing with the character. No one has a choice in not fighting against Bayo or Cloud. If that's who you get matched with, that's who you have to fight, regardless of how much you might hate them.

I really hate to bring up personal arguments like this, but seeing as you're a DK / Yoshi main, it's probably a lot easier for someone like you to take that perspective then, say, a Pokemon Trainer / Mewtwo main such as myself. I know this is just purely subjective, but I don't think any newcomer will be able to excite me as much as getting Squirtle and Ivysaur back.
In a way, Squirtle and Ivysaur were new content rather than old. Would you say your reaction would be the same if they were never cut in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom