• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

KMDP

Smash Legend
I still wanna really know what the scale of Skull Kid's popularity in Brawl was.

I know Skull Kid's popularity in Smash 4 would be enough for Sakurai to consider the character, but still, I would like to get further clarification from people who know of Brawl's biggest support bases just so I know that I have the right information. :/
I looked in the Character Threads of Smashboards' Brawl forum.

"Skull kid in BRawl" - 7 Replies
"Skull kid discussion" - 3 Replies
"The Official Skull Kid Thread" - 4 Replies
"Skull Kid for Brawl" - 7 Replies
"OFFICIAL* Skull Kid in Brawl supporters thread" - 12 Replies
"The Official Skull Kid for Brawl Thread!!" - 9 Replies
"Skull Kid for 'Brawl" - 2 Replies
"Skull Kid for Brawl" - 1 Reply
"Brawl Picks #3: Vaati vs Skull Kid" - 142 Replies
"How cool would it be if Skull Kid was in SSBB?" - 1110 Replies

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Didn't Sakurai say Robin was nearly too late for Smash 4 despite being from a game released the same year as he started the project plan? Cause that argument doesn't work well for Skull Kid, let alone anyone
Yeah he said if Awakening released just six months later Robin and Lucina probably wouldn't have been in Smash 4. However Awakening released in Japan just a month before Smash 4's project plan, whereas Majora's Mask 3D released 10 months before Ultimate's, so it was certainly well enough in time to possibly influence Ultimate's roster.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
...You know, I wonder what could happened if Sheik was never in Melee and thus fans would make their own rule that Zelda one-offs aren’t allowed.

D

Deleted member

There sure were a lot of official threads, huh?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Because people are way too fixated on this concept of "slots" and that every fighter takes the same time and effort to create.
Or because there's a limited amount of space, and each time we add new character "spaces", it takes up more space on the screen. There's a reason why Sakurai added the ability to put echoes in the same space as the original character.

Separate note, rant:
I'm also getting irritated with people characterizing people who disagree with them. Just because people don't like clones doesn't mean they think that equal time is needed to create them. I typically don't like clones, but I understand that they're developed a lot faster.

That would be like me saying "They don't care about having unique characters, they just want their character's face on the screen, even if he has the same moves as someone else." That wouldn't be a fair or accurate statement.

I think Sakurai has done a good job with differentiating the clones, but I'd still rather see Dixie Kong as a new character. I'd rather see Ganondorf implemented with a completely unique moveset. I'd rather see Daisy have her own unique moveset. I don't care if Dixie gets in as a clone, but I think most people would still prefer her as a unique fighter.

Edit: I think I come off as more angry in my posts than I intend to lol. I'm not upset about this, and I'm not trying to start an argument, I just wanted to initially rant about something. I just believe both sides have valid points. Still love you guys :)

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion

Wow what a difference. My guess is that there were a lot more important characters to think about at that time. Now that pretty much all the most popular Nintendo characters are here, people now want things like Skull Kid.

Meanwhile I'm over here like "We got all the popular characters, so let's put in some obscure ones and expand people's awareness of some lesser known series like what happened with Fire Emblem in Melee."

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think Skull Kid, if included, would be more of a "Simon Belmont" pick then a "Ridley or K.Rool" pick. While the latter two were extremely popular within the Smash Fandom, Skull Kid and Simon are widely recognized within the gaming community as a whole and would be safe picks even without making it into the top 10 or whatever of the ballot. It really helps that Skull Kid has an incredibly recognizable design - even my mom remembers what he looks like (although for the longest time she somehow thought his name was Pikmin). That mask is just hard to forget.

I don't think popularity is at all an issue with him, especially since his most intense competition, Midna, is already confirmed as an assist. I'm still not confident he's happening but I could very easily see it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wasn't Eevee literally the first one they showed at E3?
Yes. But I'm not one of the people who thinks that makes her not an option.

A character being in the background and switching out to another is much more odd to me, than a Pokeball or Assist Trophy just not being able to be summoned.

Not to mention we have characters who are both Bosses and ATs.

The idea that a summon cannot be playable is really an arbitrary rule which speculators stick without merit.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I doubt Gardevoir and Gothitelle are that highly requested, anyway. Not to mention, Pokemon being the most difficult franchise to guess accurately, who knows if TPC will even allow a popularity vote. If they do, my vote is on popular + relevant, and for that, I think Eevee is our bet. If not Team Rocket.
Too bad Eevee's disconfirmed. Maybe they'll pull a Crogunk...

D

Deleted member

Or because there's a limited amount of space, and each time we add new character "spaces", it takes up more space on the screen. There's a reason why Sakurai added the ability to put echoes in the same space as the original character.
Sakurai: "**** man, we put in so many character we can't fit in their roster slots, oh well, guess I'm gonna have to cut Dixie and Isaac to make space for more fire emblem characters, it's just how it is"

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Sakurai: "**** man, we put in so many character we can't fit in their roster slots, oh well, guess I'm gonna have to cut Dixie and Isaac to make space for more fire emblem characters, it's just how it is"
What kind of goat sacrificing voodoo is this?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Speaking of Boom Knuckles.

ShayMay actually pointed out an issue with his design in his video "Sonic Spitball Part 2" that I agree with.

Whether you like the Super Buff look or not, his large torso draws attention away from his namesake. Regular Knuckles' hands are huge, they are obviously a major part of his design. Boom Knuckles is just "Generic Strong Dude".

Next you'll be saying that we're going to get Shrek.
He really was, but atleast he was still funny
I specifically said that I'd combine characters that are too similar lol. I'd consider remaking her moveset based off the sports games. Also, I dislike Waluigi, but I recognize that he's a popular choice. And there's nobody that he'd be an echo of (imo).

TMNTSSB4 TMNTSSB4 I did say 99% of the people here would hate my decisions lol. But I don't know the canonical differences between Toon Link and Young Link. I just think 3 links is too many.

With Bayo, I don't care about her tier. I just don't think she is a good fit for Smash Bros.

@Blue7113 Good point! I barely consider Sonic and Megaman to be 3rd party, and I'd just love to see Dr Robotnik and Dr Wiley. I don't know why I said Sephiroth, I wouldn't mind if Cloud was removed tbh lol
Don’t get me wrong, the overall decision list are good, but it seems weird to have them be alts outside of their body differences
He actually is

Bad enough they made yet ANOTHER clone from Fire Emblem plus he’s a clone of a clone
On the bright side...Viridi

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

"I wonder what Skull Kid wants for dinner"

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
He probably did that so people that complain about clones will shut the **** up for once.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wow what a difference. My guess is that there were a lot more important characters to think about at that time. Now that pretty much all the most popular Nintendo characters are here, people now want things like Skull Kid.

Meanwhile I'm over here like "We got all the popular characters, so let's put in some obscure ones and expand people's awareness of some lesser known series like what happened with Fire Emblem in Melee."
Funnily enough, K. Rool had less replies than Skull Kid's "wouldn't he be cool?" thread. While Geno's support thread had 17,633.

Megaman had 14,522 replies. Isaac had 2262 replies.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yes. But I'm not one of the people who thinks that makes her not an option.

A character being in the background and switching out to another is much more odd to me, than a Pokeball or Assist Trophy just not being able to be summoned.

Not to mention we have characters who are both Bosses and ATs.

The idea that a summon cannot be playable is really an arbitrary rule which speculators stick without merit.
I think it's not a matter of they can't, it's just that if they were already planning on adding a character, they probably wouldn't make them into an assist in the first place. If Sakurai decided to make Waluigi, for instance, into DLC he probably could, but making him into a trophy again probably means he isn't putting him into the base roster. Just ask Little Mac, who's assist trophy got removed in the transition into Smash 4.

It could also be argued that the point of pokeballs and assist trophies is to represent characters who just couldn't quite make it into the roster.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
The person you replied to asked what the point of putting clones as skins was. I was replying saying that one of the reasons is that it helps the CSS screen from taking up too much space on the screen, which is probably why Sakurai added that option, as it helps save space. I don't see how what you just said even addresses the point I was making. I never said anything about adding more characters. But the fact that the CSS is already so big is why I could possibly suggest turning some of the more similar clones into skins.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I like this game I saw people on /v/ playing. Basically cross or mark the characters of which games you have actually played. I will include both template and mine.
1534446611842.png
----------
1534446611842 2.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The person you replied to asked what the point of putting clones as skins was. I was replying saying that one of the reasons is that it helps the CSS screen from taking up too much space on the screen, which is probably why Sakurai added that option, as it helps save space. I don't see how what you just said even addresses the point I was making. I never said anything about adding more characters. But the fact that the CSS is already so big is why I could possibly suggest turning some of the more similar clones into skins.
"Hey, boss, you ever thought of, like, reducing each slot's size?"
Sakurai, as he's turning characters with their own unique features into simple costumes that don't represent them properly: "What!? I can't hear you!"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He actually is

Bad enough they made yet ANOTHER clone from Fire Emblem plus he’s a clone of a clone
And none of that stops Chrom from being the single best possible addition this time around for me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Screw Geno.
Screw Isaac.
Screw Skull Kid.
The TRUE Smash Ultimate newcomer has arrived, and his name is Woody.
tumblr_o1op6eFgSA1r7sijxo1_400.gif

WIIIIIIIIIIIILD WOODY!!!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Maybe Golden Sun can finally finish that ****ing cliffhanger

Koopaul

Smash Champion
"Hey, boss, you ever thought of, like, reducing each slot's size?"
Sakurai, as he's turning characters with their own unique features into simple costumes that don't represent them properly: "What!? I can't hear you!"
You can only reduse the icon size so much before they get so tiny you can't see who is who. I'm already looking the 103 stage select screen and I can't make out anything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You can only reduse the icon size so much before they get so tiny you can't see who is who. I'm already looking the 103 stage select screen and I can't make out anything.
If you honestly think we'll even get close to 100 characters you should just get your expectations in check.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I like this game I saw people on /v/ playing. Basically cross or mark the characters of which games you have actually played. I will include both template and mine.
I'm not going to go into the whole effort of editing it, but I will go ahead and bring up some interesting ones.

:ultwiifittrainer:My mom bought into the whole Wii Fit craze while I was in middle school. Actually had fun with it and worked up a sweat as well. Can't say if it really had any impact on my health though.
:ultmegaman:I wasn't born yet during the NES era, but hype for Smash 4 convinced me to go buy Mega Man 2 on Virtual Console. I did beat it, but only because of save states.
:ultmarth:I played Shadow Dragon...and got bored of it really quickly despite loving the GBA games. Probably because of a mix of boring characters and drab colors.
:ultike:I found a copy of Radiant Dawn at Gamestop and managed to get it for around 60$. I can see why that game is divisive but I personally loved it. Still haven't found a reasonably priced copy of Path of Radiance though.

As for who I haven't played...
:ultshulk:I've played both Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2, but I haven't ever actually played the original. I liked X, but didn't really enjoy 2 that much, so I'm not really putting much consideration into going back to the play the original.
:ultsonic:I've considered buying a Sonic game once or twice, but I never actually did it. I might give Mania a try one of these days.
:ultdarksamus:I actually own the Metroid Prime Trilogy, but I got frustrated with backtracking in the first game and never got around to playing the sequels. I hear Echoes actually fixes some of Prime 1's problems, so I might give that game another chance.
:ultroy:I'm an active member of the FE fandom, a big fan of FE7, and I like to play as Roy in Smash...but I've never actually played FE6. Or any of the Japanese FE games, for that matter. I do know quite a bit about them through fandom osmosis however.
:ultkrool:Big fan of Tropical Freeze, but I've never actually played the original DK trilogy. I still respect this character's inclusion in Smash and I'll probably give DKC2 a try one of these days. I personally wouldn't mind if he appeared as the antagonist again in a future DKC game either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom