• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm glad I no longer see this guy being pushed for smash as often and as much as back then with Sm4sh, lol. But that's just me.
Groose.png

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Possible Reason for Skull Kid: BALLOT

- Sakurai could have chosen from the top 30. And this is after culling off non-videogame characters.
Skull Kid could have made this threshold.

Reasons for Picking Skull Kid from the Top Thirty

- The Zelda Franchise has not gotten a newcomer since melee.
- The Zelda Franchise has 6 characters, but only 3 are original designs.
- Villains may be a sub-theme for the Adventure mode.
- Not many other Zelda character contenders.
- Open moveset

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yep that's the one. Does it resembles Shadow? Or it just a simple black recolor. I genuinely ask because I have about 1% knowledge about Sonic.
It resembles Shadow in no meaningful way whatsoever. It’s more of a deep, dark blue.

Shadow is jet black with Red accents on the quills(which curve upward on all but the top-most quill.

Attachments

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
His Return to Dreamland pause description implies his popularity got him in. It helped a LOT, but people really liked him in Revenge of the King. Either way, it's INCREDIBLY misleading of you to use Bandana Dee as a comparison for Brawl support, if anything, that's downplaying your point entirely
I kinda melded in Dee when N3ON was talking about very popular characters like "Geno and Isaac and Dee", and I naturally thought about Brawl's popular characters since that was the time support was crazy. I mentioned Dee in that group of popular Brawl characters without realizing it. That is a mistake on my part. :p

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
It resembles Shadow in no meaningful way whatsoever. It’s more of a deep, dark blue.

Shadow is jet black with Red accents on the quills(which curve upward on all but the top-most quill.

Minute 9:10, player 4. That looks very black to me, rather than dark blue, but what do I know. It could still not mean Shadow's exclusion that's for sure.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Shutting down other's speculation is not speculation as well imo. You're free to disagree, but to consistently try to tell them 100% that they are wrong for speculating that it COULD be something, that's wrong, and that's my point I tried to make.
And in fact I do disagree.
While I don't think in the slightest that being rude about someone else's speculation is productive at all, pointing out something to the contrary of what someone said is definitely still a major part of a speculative conversation.

The whole point of what we're talking about here is rating, based on things we see and know, how likely it is that Sakurai and team have decided to develop a character into a fighter or some other aspect of the game. If someone were to propose something that they would think supports the character's chances, people are definitely allowed to look at that position and either agree or disagree with it. That's not only how speculative discourse works, that's how presenting evidence in general goes.

To say that totally 100% disagreeing with someone's speculation is not itself speculation misses the point of speculation itself.
Even more so when people try to take that personally and fire back as if they're crazy for disagreeing.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Not much imo. Shadow is purely black with red parts. That right there is just a very dark blue… I, at least, don't consider it to be anything like shadow.
Agreed, the closest character you can call any of Sonic's alts is Silver and I highly doubt people would want Silver over Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, Blaze or Eggman.

As much as the comics and his later appearences have fixed his debut in some peoples minds.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
About skull kids chance in smash 5 and non believers (hints aside!)

1. Guys dont forget skull kid appeals to young and old people. Most of the older zelda fans played majoras mask on 64. Most of the younger zelda fans played majoras mask on 3ds.

2. Zelda got no newcomer since brawl (or even since melee, toon link replaced young link as a clone). We are talking about zelda... i dont have to say much more on this point.

3. If smash5 has heroes vs villians theme (looks like it) than skull kids inclusion as a playable character would fit perfect.

4. Roster was finalized in december 2015. Majoras mask release date was in february 2015. Everthing fits here together too.

TL;DR:

1. Skull kid appeals to young and old
2. It would be nice if zelda gets newcomer
3. We need more villians theme in smash 5
4. Release date of MM3ds and final roster plan both 2015.

It all makes sense!

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Minute 9:10, player 4. That looks very black to me, rather than dark blue, but what do I know. It could still not mean Shadow's exclusion that's for sure.
Well, it does look much more grayscale in that picture. Can’t argue that. I personally wouldn’t take it as a hint, but then again, I also took an interest in the chairs....so....I’m no hint guru either. Haha

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think Hilda's chances are bigger than what people are thinking.

I can use Dark Samus as an example, before echoes were a thing, she wasn't that popular, people were asking for Ridley, Rundas, Sylux... yet, Dark Samus got in, why people start assuming she was in? because Samus was missing her "Dark Samus" alt, which is curious, because Zelda also doesn't have a Hilda alt.
Then we have the thing that Hilda could be consider a villain (even if her motives where good), and this Smash seems to be more oriented to villains (with Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus and all the rumours of Skull Kid).

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Looks more of a grey/light grey color than black though

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I can use Dark Samus as an example, before echoes were a thing, she wasn't that popular, people were asking for Ridley, Rundas, Sylux... yet, Dark Samus got in, why people start assuming she was in? because Samus was missing her "Dark Samus" alt, which is curious, because Zelda also doesn't have a Hilda alt.
Then we have the thing that Hilda could be consider a villain (even if her motives where good), and this Smash seems to be more oriented to villains (with Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus and all the rumours of Skull Kid).
I mean Dark Samus WAS popular as that's how, y'know, she got in

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Disclaimer: I'm not Japanese

According to a Japanese 2016 popularity poll, Gothitelle hovers around the 480 mark. No clue how accurate this poll is assumed to be, and it does predate Gen VII (Volcanion was also excluded from the poll).
I appreciate you responding to me, but I have no idea what that means. 480 out of what? And which Japanese poll?

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Except Dark Samus was popular enough to warrant the inclusion, Sakurai even said after he revealed Chrom & Dark Samus both were highly requested.

I wouldn't be against Hilda being around though since Zelda's design in this game would line up with Hilda being a possible echo.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

1. Guys dont forget skull kid appeals to young and old people. Most of the older zelda fans played majoras mask on 64. Most of the younger zelda fans played majoras mask on 3ds.

2. Zelda got no newcomer since brawl. We are talking about zelda... i dont have to say much more on this point.

3. If smash5 has heroes vs villians theme (looks like it) than skull kids inclusion as a playable character would fit perfect.

4. Roster was finalized in december 2015. Majoras mask release date was in february 2015. Everthing fits here together too.

TL;DR:

It all makes sense!
Trust me, as someone who thought Ashley had a ton of evidence in her favor, especially her prominence in 2015, those clues could mean absolutely nothing.

Do I think he's in the game as a character? Actually...Yea I do. I think the most evidence Skull Kid has going for him is his Assist being missing after 2 waves of disconfirmations.

KMDP

Smash Legend

2. Zelda got no newcomer since brawl. We are talking about zelda... i dont have to say much more on this point.

TL;DR:

It all makes sense!
Some things I want to point out about your post.

The only thing in Smash Ultimate that has had a "Heroes and Villains" theme is the first section of K. Rool's trailer.

Ridley and K. Rool were among the number one requests for Newcomers, the fact that they are also Villains is tangential to the former, more important, point.
(:ultridley::ultkrool:: "We are Number 1!")

If they were going to use Skull Kid to promote Majora's Mask 3D, they would have released him during Smash 4's DLC, not included him as a Newcomer in Ultimate.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

It's just dark, not Shadow colored. If his shoes were like Shadow's, then it would be a different story.
(I almost had an aneurysm when he said "la Wii" why did I have to watch that)

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Except Dark Samus was popular enough to warrant the inclusion, Sakurai even said after he revealed Chrom & Dark Samus both were highly requested.

I wouldn't be against Hilda being around though since Zelda's design in this game would line up with Hilda being a possible echo.
Oh no...what if Skull Kid didn’t show up....and instead we got

Attachments

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

I'd be totally down for a Hilda echo, but there is a couple important distinctions between her and and Dark Samus. For one, Samus had a Dark Samus alt in Smash 4 that they went through the trouble of removing. Zelda never had a Hilda alt in the first place, so the lack of one isn't nearly as suspicious. And while Metroid fans were split between some of the characters your listed, I remember quite a bit of campaigning for her from Metroid fans who made their peace with Ridley, so she probably got a decent ballot score. Sakurai even said she was popular in the recent direct. I barely remember anyone asking for Hilda.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Didn't Sakurai say Robin was nearly too late for Smash 4 despite being from a game released the same year as he started the project plan? Cause that argument doesn't work well for Skull Kid, let alone anyone
Yeah he basically said if Awakening came out any later than it did, it wouldn't have made it into Smash 4.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What if every playable character could be an assist trophy?

Spirit mode is the way to unleash them from their prison and forced servitude.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As far as I can tell, no one really hates Gothitelle, which I guess accounts for a lot of the perception gap.
Theres over 900 Pokemon characters that could be added; love and hate being closer than indifference, I don't see how this argument accounts for anything.

My overall point is that they're characters that didn't have that many people asking for them. The reasoning were different between each (everyone just said Chrom because he was the biggest character on the boxart/that Gematsu leak) but I'm using them as a sample of the general unpredictability, even if they seem obvious in hindsight.

That said, Sakurai could very well do something like take all of Japan's Magnemite meme votes seriously... (neveraskmeforanythingeveragain)
I doubt Gardevoir and Gothitelle are that highly requested, anyway. Not to mention, Pokemon being the most difficult franchise to guess accurately, who knows if TPC will even allow a popularity vote. If they do, my vote is on popular + relevant, and for that, I think Eevee is our bet. If not Team Rocket.

Chrom's not boring though.
I cannot disagree harder. Boring blue haired swordsman is not a meme without merit.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

I've always wanted to play as the Moon from Majoras Mask.

Spirit Mode may finally let me live this dream. Literally Mooning people.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Um... I feel like I missed something, but I'm out of data so I cant check back through all these pages. Was the Skull Kid CSS debunked yet? Also, has there been something else since then? (Why is Shadow being talked about?)

T-Hell

Smash Lord
It's just dark, not Shadow colored. If his shoes were like Shadow's, then it would be a different story.
(I almost had an aneurysm when he said "la Wii" why did I have to watch that)
Well he is spanish so excuse that lmao.

Remmy-ro

Smash Cadet

But Zelda never had a Hilda alt in the first place. If it was the same case for Samus, Dark Samus wouldn't have seemed like such a lock

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

There's one thing we might need to consider is the possibility of her dark attire being hinted towards Hilda. Other than that, it's very possible Hilda could be playable this time around to throw something off of us

Meanwhile has anyone ever bought up the fact Zelda and Rosalina just high-fived one another?

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Um... I feel like I missed something, but I'm out of data so I cant check back through all these pages. Was the Skull Kid CSS debunked yet? Also, has there been something else since then? (Why is Shadow being talked about?)
Someone brought up how Ike and Samus lost their alts that referenced Chrom & Dark Samus and were saying since Sonic had his dark navy one still, that Shadow might not show up.

KMDP

Smash Legend

*grabs a spritz bottle* Don't you go getting ideas.
---
What if... instead of Hilda as a Zelda Echo? We get Vaati as the Zelda Echo?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Any time I see this I want to screech at the top of my lungs.
And that is your opinion. The opinion of many is the sentiment which makes you want to scream in the first place. That is how I feel when users try to justify how many Fire Emblem characters we have. I'm not gonna sit here and complain, but theres no qualifying reason that a franchise that nearly died has this much playability, with three characters from a single game, that are unlikely to appear again in a canon game.

To each her own.

TheGoobster

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3334-2994-8794
Yeah, it was.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You mean the one with the snake around his neck? Portrait's too stretched, left hand is a perfect match with other pics of the kid and the Isabelle pic showed some font inconsistentcy iirc. Oh, and the ****ING SNAKE AROUND HIS NECK

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Someone brought up how Ike and Samus lost their alts that referenced Chrom & Dark Samus and were saying since Sonic had his dark navy one still, that Shadow might not show up.
Sega wont allow Sonic to truly change color. Only the accessories actually get much editing.

I dont think it is a valid comparison. The color palettes for Chrom and Dark Samus made the Ike and Samus look almost identical to their counterparts. Sonic and Shadow will always look different, regardless.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm honestly half expecting a Hilda Echo. She's popular enough and it would just be too easy to make her an echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom