• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Skull Kid's theme could be pranks. He debuffs his opponents.

Perhaps turning B special into a useless special.
Using his flute to briefly control his opponents jumps and movements like a Pied Piper luring rats.

A Down B that targets an area where you can send hurtling moon rocks at with another press.
This way you can sing your opponents right into flaming debris.

lionoskipus

Smash Rookie
Even if skull kid got into smash, I can’t see any moves he would use besides his final smash, and that’s already an assist trophy

Iridium

Smash Hero
At this point, my usage of characters might be:
S: :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ulttoonlink::ultmarth::ultpit:
A: :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultsonic::ultwolf::ultdarkpit::ultfox::ultfalco::ultroy::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultsheik:
B: :ultrobin:ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultzelda::ultzss::ultsamus::ultridley::ultpokemontrainer::ultsnake::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultyounglink::ultlucina:
C: :ultolimar::ultpichu::ultfalcon::ultness::ultvillager::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultbowser::ultmario::ultluigi::ultmiifighters::ultgnw:
D: :ultkrool::ultdk::ultdoc::ultpacman::ultrob::ultkirby::ultjigglypuff::ultrosalina::ultlucas::ultkingdedede:
E: :ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultinkling::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultbowserjr:

S: Mains
A/B: Secondaries (top & low)
C: Maybe
D: Eh.
E: Near Impossible/No.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Waaaaaa...

I'm talking about Vaati.
That moment when you realize Ganondorf, Skull Kid and Vaati all made three appearances each throughout the Zelda series.

Still quite a shame Vaati was never included in Hyrule Warriors (or any Capcom Zelda character for whatever reason...)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Actually, I've been meaning to post this since I made it two days ago, but this thread's been moving way too quickly. :laugh:

I decided to make a Smash Roster, organizing it as though it was a proper 1v1 fighting game.
This is what I came up with, had to add a few guys (Dixie, BD and Agumon) to make it a rectangle

Feel free to listen to a Soul Calibur Character select theme (like this one) while looking at it.
Proper fighting games look confusing.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
It's criminal that just like K. Rool, the other Kongs haven't been used in ages. Unless I'm missing something, Tiny is the last Kong to be used outside of the main core we have now, which was back in 2008's Mario Super Sluggers. I don't think Lanky has been used since Barrel Blast in 2006. Chunky is dead like Kiddy Kong lol.

It's a shame because Lanky especially could have interesting uses. It's like they don't want to use a lot of Rare's characters despite them making Donkey Kong what it is today. There's DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky. Come on bring the other Kongs back too please.
Wait until K. Rool comes back in the next DKC, the Rare-creations bandwagon will only explode from there.

Introducing NEW LANKY MODE, which will be the hardcore difficulty setting where you play as Lanky Kong and can only take one hit due to him constantly Orangstanding!

Calling it right now, and you've seen it there only and absolutely nowhere else.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Finally someone that gets it. And Skull kid has more than enough for a moveset, Sakurai won't have problem with that, i'm 100% sure.
But none of that really makes Skull Kid stand out... he's not the only character with moveset potential. He's not the only character from a highly acclaimed Nintendo game, given how many of them there are. Hell, he wasn't even the only candidate from a highly-acclaimed Zelda game.

Unless you narrow the parameters, in what area does Skull Kid excel more than any other candidate?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Skull Kid is popular and would be an interesting newcomer. Nobody denies that. What people are saying is people are looking too deep into Nintendo "hinting" at him being in Smash. Not everything is related to Smash. Even if he makes it in the game it doesn't mean they were hinting at him. We'll probably never know if they are. So there's no point in defending so called hints to the death.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I love Skull Kid, I have a statue of him, but frankly he's never (or at least not for a long time) really been the same league popularity-wise as the other candidates that generally get thrown about these days. Should he make it in, I'm thinking part of his inclusion may be due to Sakurai realizing it's ridiculous that Zelda hasn't gotten an original moveset since 2001. That's my theory.
I feel like Skull Kid has always been one of those characters who has only been brought up sporadically, but when he is brought up there are a lot of people who go "Oh yeah, he'd be really cool", hence the rise in support now that he's looking likely. Like, he's not been a lot of people's absolutely most wanted, so they haven't actively supported him, but there's still a pretty sizeable amount of people who'd be happy with him, especially if you look outside the core speculation community. It's always been that way as far as I remember.

With that said, I certainly wouldn't classify him alongside Ridley or K. Rool, or like you said even the tier below them, he's more like Simon in that regard.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
That moment when you realize Ganondorf, Skull Kid and Vaati all made three appearances each throughout the Zelda series.

Still quite a shame Vaati was never included in Hyrule Warriors (or any Capcom Zelda character for whatever reason...)
Vaati is criminally underused, as far as Zelda villains go.

Same with Majora, a Majora origin story would be neat for a Zelda game.
Proper fighting games look confusing.
Soul Calibur uses the same shape of Character Select Screen, the characters are all in the centre, with the characters you pick on the side.

Obviously, Smash has way more characters than any normal Fighting game. :laugh:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Well. I saw an updated japanese poll the other game, and goemon was on it. So that was good. Hopefully konami will let him have a trophy atleast. As for skull kid, love hin, but not as playable.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As far as potential for unique movesets for the Zelda lineup Skull Kid I felt was always one of the better choices along with the likes of Midna. Along with Midna, Skull Kid is still massively popular amoung Zelda fans and is well known for his personality.

The Majora's Mask as is, is reasonably iconic and recognizable on its own.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like Skull Kid has always been one of those characters who has only been brought up sporadically, but when he is brought up there are a lot of people who go "Oh yeah, he'd be really cool", hence the rise in support now that he's looking likely. Like, he's not been a lot of people's absolutely most wanted, so they haven't actively supported him, but there's still a pretty sizeable amount of people who'd be happy with him, especially if you look outside the core speculation community. It's always been that way as far as I remember.

With that said, I certainly wouldn't classify him alongside Ridley or K. Rool, he's more like Simon in that regard.
I agree, but people simply being amenable to his inclusion doesn't translate to active support or measurable popularity.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I was also looking at those recently.
It's interesting that top 4 is Banjo, Skull Kid, Geno, and Isaac
I normally wouldn't have expected Banjo but I mean if he's gonna get in a Smash game it'd be this one
He is very popular and after K. Rool, another character created by Rare, got in, people expect Banjo and Kazooie even more.
Honestly I don't know of anybody that would dislike that idea.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'ma gonna play director now. And make most people mad...

Reduce to Alt Costumes with cosmetic differences in attacks: :ultdoc::ultfalco::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultlucas::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultyounglink::ultwolf::ultchrom:

Cut::ultjigglypuff::ultganondorf::ultsheik:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Right, but if it was all about just giving fans what they want, don't you think he'd go with the most popular attainable characters and then work his way down instead of choosing someone from the middle of the pack like Skull Kid? It's not like it's Geno and Isaac and Dee, and then one small step below them, Skull Kid; there was quite a disparity prior to the very recent.

Technically, it depends on where the character is popular. Ridley is nowhere near as popular in Japan as he is overseas. Check any Japanese poll, you won't see Ridley on it, yet he did get it due to oversees demand. Same with K. Rool. He's fairy popular here, and people definitely want him, but he's vastly more popular in Japan ironically (being an overseas character lol).

Skull Kid has been popular for years. Perhaps not on the level of Geno, Isaac, Banjo, etc., but Sakurai even acknowledged his popularity here, even in Smash 4:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...l-Kid-Joins-Super-Smash-Bros-As-Assist-Trophy

That being said, we have no official Ballot Results, merely unofficial polls. Its very very possible Skull Kid placed high on the Ballot along with everyone else and sold plenty of Mii Costumes.

There is a massive case for Skull Kid because of this, especially since Zelda hasn't had a rep since Brawl and he is the next most Iconic character not in the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait until K. Rool comes back in the next DKC, the Rare-creations bandwagon will only explode from there.

Introducing NEW LANKY MODE, which will be the hardcore difficulty setting where you play as Lanky Kong and can only take one hit due to him constantly Orangstanding!

Calling it right now, and you've seen it there only and absolutely nowhere else.
On the flipside, he can swim indefinitely. Without scuba gear.

It's criminal that just like K. Rool, the other Kongs haven't been used in ages. Unless I'm missing something, Tiny is the last Kong to be used outside of the main core we have now, which was back in 2008's Mario Super Sluggers. I don't think Lanky has been used since Barrel Blast in 2006. Chunky is dead like Kiddy Kong lol.

It's a shame because Lanky especially could have interesting uses. It's like they don't want to use a lot of Rare's characters despite them making Donkey Kong what it is today. There's DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky. Come on bring the other Kongs back too please.
That's exactly right, and I fully agree, 100%. I'm of the impression that Retro Studios have been gradually bringing back Kongs for their games (DKCR started out with the core trio of DK, Diddy and Cranky, then Dixie and Funky came next for TF), until the family can be properly reestablished. At least K. Rool's successful reveal is apparently opening the bigwigs' eyes over the fans' love for him, and considering usage for him in the future.

Also, it's unfair Chunky ends up being in the bin, when he's a much better character than his kid brother.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Right, but if it was all about just giving fans what they want, don't you think he'd go with the most popular attainable characters and then work his way down instead of choosing someone from the middle of the pack like Skull Kid? It's not like it's Geno and Isaac and Dee, and then one small step below them, Skull Kid; there was quite a disparity prior to the very recent.
In that scenario of being "100% about fans", yeah. Skull Kid would not be in the middle of the pack though. In terms of demand back in Brawl, the demand was far greater than Dee and Isaac, being behind Geno and eventually surpassing his popularity when Smash 4 came around with this poll sent to Sakurai. But again, I brought up multiple possible factors towards his inclusion, so Skull Kid's addition would probably not be primarily added just for demand... :p

Wait, is Skull Kid in the game?
We are just discussing a hypothetical scenario.

Blue is ridiculously optimistic about any of his core predictions. So much the lunatic made a bet with actual money on it
Not terribly optimistic after the E3 reveal changing speculation, but I am still a bit hopeful that I will get some predictions right. :p

Last edited:

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Curious, are people moving away from Pokemon getting a new rep in Smash or has there been more pepole on the bandwagon

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
What do you guys expect will be shown for Smash Ultimate at Gamescom?
Has it been confirmed that it will be shown there or Nintendo at all? I've not been paying attention lately…

Even if skull kid got into smash, I can’t see any moves he would use besides his final smash, and that’s already an assist trophy
Check Hyrule Warriors moveset for Skull kid + Sakurai manages to make movesets accordingly to the character's theme no problem, and SK has plenty to pick from. For Final Smash, just check his final battle in the original game, Sakurai can use anything from it. Also, someone mentioned something very valid, about Rathalos being both a boss and AT, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if Skull kid mixes the moon with something about his final forms.
TL;DR: Sakurai has plenty to pick a moveset for him, lol

osby

Smash Obsessed
He is very popular and after K. Rool, another character created by Rare, got in, people expect Banjo and Kazooie even more.
If they are considerably more interesting than Duck Hunt, I wouldn't oppose.:laugh:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would *LOVE* it. I think B&K just ended up falling off my radar after Smash 4. I hope he gets in though.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's a post-Awakening Fire Emblem game it's going to be polarizing no matter what Intelligence System does. It's either going to be too similar to Awakening or Fates which will irritate old school FE fans or it will be too different will will irritate the Post-Awakening FE fans.
Fire Emblem has always been polarizing. Even the most acclaimed games in the fandom right now, FE7/9, were hated back when they first came out by the original grassroots ROM community; because they weren't FE4. I won't hide my criticisms of Awakening/Fates, but I don't see myself as petty enough not to call out of fans both old & new; the same goes for you Pokemon Gen 1 lovers & haters.

I don't think people need to "accept" an 8th Fire Emblem character. It's pretty clear Sakurai has never particularly cared about representation and Ultimate seems to be doing nothing to show that he does. Granted I doubt a Three Houses character would be first on the DLC list, but if there is something interesting there it's a good bet he won't pass it up. Ex. The new battle animations with the large armies would make for a fun cinematic Final Smash.

Also FYI Sakurai is a big Fire Emblem fan. Re-read the Iwata Asks for Shadow Dragon. He arguably has the best inter-company relationship with Intelligent Systems; going to them multiple times for character advise and being allowed to use two of their characters before their games even released. Unlike with Kirby, he has shown no restraint when it comes to this particular franchise.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'ma gonna play director now. And make most people mad...

Reduce to Alt Costumes with cosmetic differences in attacks: :ultdoc::ultfalco::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultlucas::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultyounglink::ultwolf::ultchrom:

Cut::ultjigglypuff::ultganondorf::ultsheik:
That's one hell of a step back. What's the point in doing that if they're already fleshed out enough to be echoes? And cutting Jiggs, Ganondorf, and Sheik is just a straight bad idea.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Banjo & Kazooie have been a popular request since Melee they are honestly on the same level as Ridley and K Rool when it comes to those characters that are long overdue, imo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Technically, it depends on where the character is popular. Ridley is nowhere near as popular in Japan as he is overseas. Check any Japanese poll, you won't see Ridley on it, yet he did get it due to oversees demand. Same with K. Rool. He's fairy popular here, and people definitely want him, but he's vastly more popular in Japan ironically (being an overseas character lol).
But Skull Kid didn't show up super highly in any region. In Japan Midna and I think still Tingle are more popular. Skull Kid's popular, don't get me wrong, but if popularity were the sole factor at play here, why not go for a more popular character than someone in the middle?

Skull Kid has been popular for years. Perhaps not on the level of Geno, Isaac, Banjo, etc., but Sakurai even acknowledged his popularity here, even in Smash 4:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...l-Kid-Joins-Super-Smash-Bros-As-Assist-Trophy
Wait, no he didn't. He says he's not a fighter... but that's not an endorsement of popularity. Plus an often overlooked aspect of that caption is that Skull Kid was the first new AT shown through PotD, hence the clarification. I remember when Dr. Wright was one of the first ATs shown on the DOJO, and people thought he was playable. Dr. Wright. It happens.

That being said, we have no official Ballot Results, merely unofficial polls. Its very very possible Skull Kid placed high on the Ballot along with everyone else and sold plenty of Mii Costumes.
It's possible, though every single fan ballot from that time would not indicate as much.

There is a massive case for Skull Kid because of this, especially since Zelda hasn't had a rep since Brawl and he is the next most Iconic character not in the game.
Ehhhhhhh

He's one of them.

But him getting in, in part due to popularity, but in part to bolster the Zelda series is my point.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
When I saw 'purple Zelda character' I saw 'purple Zelda' and thought Hilda.

They described Zelda as 'Link Between Worlds' design even though it seems a bit closer to the Link to the Past design. I wonder if there's some reason they think that?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I really want to hear a ridiculously over the top Smash Ultimate remix of Banjo Kazooie/Tooie music tbh

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Didn’t stop ROB, Duck Hunt, Ganondorf(who doesn’t even use a move from his games), Peach, Mario(the Mario characters really only did a few things each), the Kongs(did like 3 things).

A lot of the characters in Smash were just creatively expanded upon.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I never got the idea of making clones into alt costumes. It only decreases variety and adds nothing.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Curious, are people moving away from Pokemon getting a new rep in Smash or has there been more pepole on the bandwagon
As far as I know, there has been no more evidence, and people are just repeating the same arguments and discussions about the leaks we've already talked about for hundreds of pages (no joke, it's been hundred of them by now, lol). So… nothing new really. I would rather move on from that until we actually get substantial news about it. Last night there was just drama because of it, so it's not worth it imo.

Skull Kid is popular and would be an interesting newcomer. Nobody denies that. What people are saying is people are looking too deep into Nintendo "hinting" at him being in Smash. Not everything is related to Smash. Even if he makes it in the game it doesn't mean they were hinting at him. We'll probably never know if they are. So there's no point in defending so called hints to the death.
Of course, but if it ends being true in the end, people wanting so bad to take the fun from speculating on things like this should also be considered a waste of time. Let people enjoy, is what I would say.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In that scenario of being "100% about fans", yeah. Skull Kid would not be in the middle of the pack though. In terms of demand back in Brawl, the demand was far greater than Dee and Isaac, being behind Geno and eventually surpassing his popularity when Smash 4 came around with this poll sent to Sakurai. But again, I brought up multiple possible factors towards his inclusion, so Skull Kid's addition would probably not be primarily added just for demand... :p

We are just discussing a hypothetical scenario.

Not terribly optimistic after the E3 reveal changing speculation, but I am still a bit hopeful that I will get some predictions right. :p
Blue, Bandana Dee was literally just the first opponent in Megaton Punch back then, he didn't get popular until Super Star Ultra, which was AFTER Brawl's release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom