• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know. That's my point. It's iconic Zelda imagery and collectables to foreshadow the Zelda content in Diablo III
Reggie: "We're going to have Diablo III on the Switch, and as a selling point we'll be including Legend of Zelda content in the game."
Smash Fans: "OMG THERE'S SKULL KID ON REGGIE'S DESK! SKULL KID IS IN SMASH!"
Reggie: *sighs*

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
What are two stages you're excited to morph between? For me, I think Fountain of Dreams and New Pork City's Omega form will take the cake.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Out of curiousity, how many of you predicted Skull Kid to be in this game before the Ultimate direct?

I know I did a long time ago. :seuss:
Nope. I was on the track that Midna was getting in first because we now have no Twilight Princess representation among Zelda characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As someone who supports these "clues", I don't think they are truly giving this much attention for Skull Kid. I mean, he's just Skull Kid, he's no Banjo, Geno or even Isaac. I don't see why they would make a big deal on Skull Kid.
I can't believe I'm able to use the same argument to support Skull Kid as I did just now to say he's not getting hinted at for Smash, but Majora's Mask is one of the most iconic images of the Zelda franchise. That creepy purple mask is instantly recognized by millions, even those who haven't played the game

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I think Skull Kid is awesome, but I didn’t know who he was until this year. I’ve heard much more about Impa, I always thought she was the top Zelda ballot character.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I can't believe I'm able to use the same argument to support Skull Kid as I did just now to say he's not getting hinted at for Smash, but Majora's Mask is one of the most iconic images of the Zelda franchise. That creepy purple mask is instantly recognized by millions, even those who haven't played the game
I got a good laugh over the fact you've said that twice for different arguments hahahahahaha

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I love Skull Kid, I have a statue of him, but frankly he's never (or at least not for a long time) really been the same league popularity-wise as the other candidates that generally get thrown about these days. Should he make it in, I'm thinking part of his inclusion may be due to Sakurai realizing it's ridiculous that Zelda hasn't gotten an original moveset since 2001. That's my theory.

KMDP

Smash Legend
There's another Zelda character who uses Purple as a major part of their design who hasn't been seen yet in Smash. let me dream

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai notices Zelda fans complaining about too many FE clones, so he puts another Link to the game to make up for it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope he would become at least an assist. Hes so underrated imo, I hope Sakurai likes him also.
Yeah, even a regular trophy would be an improvement. Maybe the guys at Retro can find a place for him in their next DKC project.

There's another Zelda character who uses Purple as a major part of their design who hasn't been seen yet in Smash. let me dream
Chase that dream!

It's Vaati, right?

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I have two polls that /v/ made of characters they wanted, the first one just shows the top 10 and the other is the whole list.
These are not reliable or anything, and is /v/ so... expect everything.
Images are pretty big so here they come inside this spoiler:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I have two polls that /v/ made of characters they wanted, the first one just shows the top 10 and the other is the whole list.

At least the top ones make absolute sense.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So if you were the game director, which series would be overrepped?
For me, Donkey Kong and Pokémon.
Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and Kirby, but with some tweaks which I think still make sense:

Overrepped Series by YoshiandToad.png

Dr. Mario swapped for Captain Toad the more recent Mario puzzle game protagonist, Rosalina swapped for Waluigi because...well I just prefer him.
Pichu swapped for Eevee(with Umbreon and Espeon repping Gen 2 in the moveset) and Puff swapped for Meowth(with Aloan Meowth alt repping Sun and Moon)
Link: Botw, Zelda: ALBW, Ganondorf: OoT, Toon Link: WW, Impa: HW, Tingle: His own games but used the WW one for a 3D model, Vaati: MC/FSA, Ghirahim: SS, Midna: TP and Skull Kid: MM. Lots of representation of the different games.
Kirby: Dee completes the quad, Gooey was once upon a time player 2, Marx is a very popular villain, Dark Matter seems to be THE villain, Daroach is a popular antagonist, Fluff doesn't get enough luff and Adeleine has been missing for so long let's just revive her too.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It's criminal that just like K. Rool, the other Kongs haven't been used in ages. Unless I'm missing something, Tiny is the last Kong to be used outside of the main core we have now, which was back in 2008's Mario Super Sluggers. I don't think Lanky has been used since Barrel Blast in 2006. Chunky is dead like Kiddy Kong lol.

It's a shame because Lanky especially could have interesting uses. It's like they don't want to use a lot of Rare's characters despite them making Donkey Kong what it is today. There's DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky. Come on bring the other Kongs back too please.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I love Skull Kid, I have a statue of him, but frankly he's never (or at least not for a long time) really been the same league popularity-wise as the other candidates that generally get thrown about these days. Should he make it in, I'm thinking part of his inclusion may be due to Sakurai realizing it's ridiculous that Zelda hasn't gotten an original moveset since 2001. That's my theory.
It's more like Sakurai wants to give the fans what they want, and now he is finally being open to older dormant Nintendo characters for Ultimate's project plan, contrast to the relevance factor he had for Smash 4. It would be less about Zelda not getting an original character for a long time, but Sakurai finding moveset potential in Skull Kid. And given that Majora's Mask is a critically acclaimed Zelda title that still is referenced in video game pop culture to this day, on a more sizable scale than SMRPG, Skull Kid would have probably been seen as a newcomer with notable merits to Sakurai. That is what I believe what caused Skull Kid's inclusion to happen.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Out of curiousity, how many of you predicted Skull Kid to be in this game before the Ultimate direct?

I know I did a long time ago. :seuss:
I felt he had a chance, but I wasn't sure how big it was before the whole "adding fan favorites" phase of Ultimate though.
With that said, would you suddenly feel validated if he got in? It's not like they're gonna confirm if these "hints" are actually hints or not ever, so would you actually be right? Or is it all just coincidence?
Pretty much this. Leaks/rumors/hint speculation are fun to pass the time, but in the end all that matters is what characters are in the game when I fire it up the first time.

Are Verg/Loz legitimate leakers? Don't really care.
Are the chairs a vital clue? Maybe.

These things basically mean nothing in regards to the final game. Three months from now I'm going to be playing Ultimate, and I won't give a second thought to leakers or obscure hints. Really doesn't matter one way or the other.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Actually, I've been meaning to post this since I made it two days ago, but this thread's been moving way too quickly. :laugh:

I decided to make a Smash Roster, organizing it as though it was a proper 1v1 fighting game.
UltimateFightingRoster.png
This is what I came up with, had to add a few guys (Dixie, BD, Shadow and Agumon) to make it a rectangle

Feel free to listen to a Soul Calibur Character select theme (like this one) while looking at it.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I was also looking at those recently.
It's interesting that top 4 is Banjo, Skull Kid, Geno, and Isaac
I normally wouldn't have expected Banjo but I mean if he's gonna get in a Smash game it'd be this one

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's more like Sakurai wants to give the fans what they want, and now he is finally being open to older dormant Nintendo characters for Ultimate's project plan, contrast to the relevance factor he had for Smash 4. It would be less about Zelda not getting an original character for a long time, but Sakurai finding moveset potential in Skull Kid. And given that Majora's Mask is a critically acclaimed Zelda title that still is referenced in video game pop culture to this day, on a more sizable scale than SMRPG, Skull Kid would have probably been seen as a newcomer with notable merits to Sakurai. That is what I believe what will cause Skull Kid's inclusion.
Right, but if it was all about just giving fans what they want, don't you think he'd go with the most popular attainable characters and then work his way down instead of choosing someone from the middle of the pack like Skull Kid? It's not like it's Geno and Isaac and Dee, and then one small step below them, Skull Kid; there was quite a disparity prior to the very recent.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's more like Sakurai wants to give the fans what they want, and now he is finally being open to older dormant Nintendo characters for Ultimate's project plan, contrast to the relevance factor he had for Smash 4. It would be less about Zelda not getting an original character for a long time, but Sakurai finding moveset potential in Skull Kid. And given that Majora's Mask is a critically acclaimed Zelda title that still is referenced in video game pop culture to this day, on a more sizable scale than SMRPG, Skull Kid would have probably been seen as a newcomer with notable merits to Sakurai. That is what I believe what caused Skull Kid's inclusion to happen.
Finally someone that gets it. And Skull kid has more than enough for a moveset, Sakurai won't have problem with that, i'm 100% sure.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's criminal that just like K. Rool, the other Kongs haven't been used in ages. Unless I'm missing something, Tiny is the last Kong to be used outside of the main core we have now, which was back in 2008's Mario Super Sluggers. I don't think Lanky has been used since Barrel Blast in 2006. Chunky is dead like Kiddy Kong lol.

It's a shame because Lanky especially could have interesting uses. It's like they don't want to use a lot of Rare's characters despite them making Donkey Kong what it is today. There's DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky. Come on bring the other Kongs back too please.
On the other hand, for the love Palutena, please let Candy Kong stay dead. I never want to see that monstrosity again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait, is Skull Kid in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom