• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I would overrep Sonic, DK, and Zelda.

Sonic would have Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy, Metal Sonic, and Shadow.

DK would have Funky, Dixie, Cranky, Tiny, and Lanky.

Zelda would have Skull Kid, Fierce Deity, Ghirahim, Midna, Impa, and Wolf Link

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fun way to show character interest I saw on gamefaqs.
This person does not want to play Dedede and Jigglypuff?
Who does this person think he is?

Reggie has a Skull Kid on his desk in this Diablo video

Have fun with this meaningless information.
Here comes the Skull Kid supporters using this as "Skull Kid in Smash boiiiis!".

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This person does not want to play Dedede and Jigglypuff?
Who does this person think he is?

Here comes the Skull Kid supporters using this as "Skull Kid in Smash boiiiis!".
This was basically the first thing I saw when I clicked on the tweet after posting the video in this thread.

Mod Edit: please do not embed pictures with censored words in them. You are welcome to link then with a language warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just want Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and Banjo to be confirmed so all the fans can be happy. But then again, the Smash fan base will never be satisfied.
Speak for yourself. I don't want 3 of those 4.

Just because someone gripes doesn't mean its because they still want more, it could be because they didn't get what they wanted at all. Believe or not, there are people who don't want obscure characters like Geno, Isaac, or Banjo.

And before anybody starts lecturing me about how Banjo is this super uber popular character that everrrrybody knows: I didn't know who he was and I'm an 21 year-old adult who has been gaming his whole life. Heck if you put Banjo next to Crash and asked me which is which it would take me a hot minute to be able to recognize who was who.

I got all the vets back, mostly Pichu, and Daisy got in so I don't have much room to complain myself, but acting like these magical four characters should cure all room for others to voice their disdain is just dumb. Like "nah where we are now? People can complain that's fine. MY PRECIOUS FOUR WISHLIST CHARACTERS GET IN? Anybody who complains is just never satisfied reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

I wouldn't take this post too seriously. I'm just ranting mostly. I had a point wanted to make and my brain stopped like 6 times while typing this up so I prolly don't make much sense. :T

KMDP

Smash Legend
I would overrep Sonic, DK, and Zelda.

Sonic would have Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy, Metal Sonic, and Shadow.

DK would have Funky, Dixie, Cranky, Tiny, and Lanky.

Zelda would have Skull Kid, Fierce Deity, Ghirahim, Midna, Impa, and Wolf Link
Hmm...

Zelda: Vaati, Impa [Sheik Echo], Tetra, Lana
Pokémon: Dragonite, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, Chandelure, Genesect
Fire Emblem: Hector, Camilla/Charlotte [Hector echo], Ephraim, Azura [Ephraim echo], Black Knight [Ike Echo]
Metal Gear: Raiden (Cyborg)
Sonic: Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow [Sonic Echo], Eggman
Final Fantasy: Tifa Lockhart, Sephiroth, Zack Fair [Cloud Echo], Warrior of Light, Terra Branford
Golden Sun: Isaac, Felix [Isaac Echo]

This was basically the first thing I saw when I clicked on the tweet after posting the video in this thread.
I would just like to point out that the yellow of the Yellow chair is the same colour as Isaac's scarf (almost exactly).

And the pillows and couch are very evocative of Felix.

Unlike the previous office, you can spin the August Direct's office to mean multiple things.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It would have to be on par with Final Fantasy 7 in terms of success for people to accept an 8th Fire Emblem character. Since that level is success is obviously not going to happen, the reception to a character from Three Houses is going to be extremely polarizing. And that's assuming the game itself doesn't end up being polarizing.
It's a post-Awakening Fire Emblem game it's going to be polarizing no matter what Intelligence System does. It's either going to be too similar to Awakening or Fates which will irritate old school FE fans or it will be too different will will irritate the Post-Awakening FE fans.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Speak for yourself. I don't want 3 of those 4.

Just because someone gripes doesn't mean its because they still want more, it could be because they didn't get what they wanted at all. Believe or not, there are people who don't want obscure characters like Geno, Isaac, or Banjo.

And before anybody starts lecturing me about how Banjo is this super uber popular character that everrrrybody knows: I didn't know who he was and I'm an 21 year-old adult who has been gaming his whole life. Heck if you put Banjo next to Crash and asked me which is which it would take me a hot minute to be able to recognize who was who.

I got all the vets back, mostly Pichu, and Daisy got in so I don't have much room to complain myself, but acting like these magical four characters should cure all room for others to voice their disdain is just dumb. Like "nah where we are now? People can complain that's fine. MY PRECIOUS FOUR WISHLIST CHARACTERS GET IN? Anybody who complains is just never satisfied reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

I wouldn't take this post too seriously. I'm just ranting mostly. I had a point wanted to make and my brain stopped like 6 times while typing this up so I prolly don't make much sense. :T
I mean it’s not all about you. Most fans want them anyway. You have to admit the Smash fan base is never satisfied. Who’s the one you do want?

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
You know what I don't get? Black Knight as Ike's echo. I can't imagine him doing Aether or Ike's side B. I understand wanting the character in, but as Ike's echo? Nah.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pit is just so basic and unlike Mario doesn't really pack much of a punch
Don’t Talk Mess About The Angelic and Illiterate Hero
12A9E622-16D3-45F1-8E57-819390354AFF.png
F001EFE9-FA35-400B-A834-603C8C8F51F7.jpeg
"Boom!Sonic is only a good design off the strength of the already strong Sonic Design. The scarf and all that sports tape is just extra, needless clutter.
Extra...Needless...did you just disrespect the only Sonic who actually loves Amy and can turn into a human?
Palutena is just super sluggish.
575DA697-EA4B-4110-9BAD-830F547C7307.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what I don't get? Black Knight as Ike's echo. I can't imagine him doing Aether or Ike's side B. I understand wanting the character in, but as Ike's echo? Nah.
Side B is the one of Ike's Specials I can see him doing, actually.
Though unless they somehow make his armor more slim(which would defeat the point), he really wouldn't work as an Echo simply due to the armor.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I mean it’s not all about you. Most fans want them anyway. Who’s the one you do want?
My point actually was "its not all about you."

Prove "most fans" want all 4 of them. You literally can't. Even if every person on Smashboards came into this thread and said "Yeah, I want those 4," that still does not mean "most fans" want them all.

Anyway, the characters I want don't have a chance anymore so it doesn't matter.

All I'm trying to say is that "If *these specific characters* get in no one should complain" is an unreasonable statement because not everybody wants the same characters. I do agree people shouldn't be so adamant about their complaining but I also recognize that people have every right to.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, so... this is what I'd change.

Black Knight can keep most of Ike's moves (like his basic attacks and Counter).

Change out Eruption for something similar to Chrom's version of Flare Blade, but give it Shield Breaking properties and call it "Luna".
Change out Aether for Roy's Blazer, just without the fire (So "r", har har). Or change it for "Warp" (a Teleport).
Change out Quick Draw for a slowed down "Dancing Blade", renamed "Eclipse", which also eats through shields.

Is it too many changes? *shrug* But Black Knight can be an Ike Echo just fine.
Extra...Needless...did you just disrespect the only Sonic who actually loves Amy and can turn into a human?
I did! What'chu gonna do 'bout it, huh?

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
My point actually was "its not all about you."

Prove "most fans" want all 4 of them. You literally can't. Even if every person on Smashboards came into this thread and said "Yeah, I want those 4," that still does not mean "most fans" want them all.

Anyway, the characters I want don't have a chance anymore so it doesn't matter.

All I'm trying to say is that "If *these specific characters* get in no one should complain" is an unreasonable statement because not everybody wants the same characters. I do agree people shouldn't be so adamant about their complaining but I also recognize that people have every right to.
I understand not everyone will be satisfied. Just those are the top 4 favorites so a lot of people should be. I meant, out of those four which one do you want?

Pakky

Smash Hero

"Skull Kid is going to be considered Newcomer"

Can we all stop assuming Skull Kid is going to be in the game, please? We don't (and can't) know that yet.

Well, Gardevoir is a popular Pokémon. Gothitelle, on the other hand...

You misspelled "Guilmon", Pakky.

Boom!Sonic is only a good design off the strength of the already strong Sonic Design. The scarf and all that sports tape is just extra, needless clutter.
AHHH man!!!

Thanks!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There are really only two things I would be disappointed by in Smash if they happened, either a non-Echo Isabelle gets added or a Fire Emblem character that isn’t Lyn wouldn’t make me upset, just disappointed.

Otherwise everything is fair game to me.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah they basically have to deal with the worst from every single franchises fanbase that smash has :/
And even a step further- the fans that are almost obsessively toxic to other people because their characters didn't make it in.

Or are they real fans to begin with? /s

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh man, who's ready for Skull Kid in Ultimate? It's happening

KMDP

Smash Legend

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, I fixed the quote problem, I accidentally deleted a "[".

But, you're right, Boom!Sonic should go in the trash. :troll:
Only the games and not the glorious show with Knuckles the “Buff Arms Yet Still Can’t Do Leg Day Feminist” Echidna

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Elite 4, gym leaders , evil team bosses and totem Pokémon are all bosses surely
Since you're mostly just facing Pokemon owned by trainers, they're not really what I would call boss bouts. Just about any trainer can own something like a Gyarados, so it's not like it's unique to Gym Leaders or Elite Four members.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Oh man, if I were the Smash director, 99% of the fans here would hate me and stop playing Smash Bros lol.

Assuming I was only the directer of a new game, and all of the previous games still existed:

First thing I'd do is take characters that seem too similar to their counterparts and make them skinswaps - :4marth::4lucina:, :4pit::4darkpit:, :4mario::4drmario:,:ultpeach::ultdaisy:, :younglinkmelee::4tlink: (So that's 5 cuts to the roster size)

Then, I'd make sure that each original (SSB64) franchise gets representation: So :4falcon: gets Black Shadow, :4ness::4lucas: gets Porky

I'd add Dixie Kong, Geno, and Waluigi due to popularity

Instead of trying to add a bunch more 3rd party franchises, I'd expand existing ones. I'd add Dr Eggman, Dr Wiley, Sephiroth

For my most unpopular part, I would make some cuts: :4mii:, :4bayonetta:

For stages, I would actually cut many. I'd try to keep all of the popular ones (Fountain, Corneria, Battlefield, Final D, Kirby Tree stage etc) but I'd get rid of the scrolling stages (maybe have like 1), all of the ginormous stages, and stages with really annoying hazards.

For the stages I add, I would add some fun ones that wouldn't be viable for competitive, but I'd make an effort to add at least 5 new stages that are "basic" (for Comp) but that make up for it with amazing visuals and music.

For Modes:

I would add a story mode that has In game engine cutscenes to save on time, but it would be pretty lenghty and similar to Subspace in epicness

I would try to give players a lot more control of items, and with items like assist trophies and pokemon, allow players to decide what characters/items can spawn from these.

I think that's it.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Oh man, if I were the Smash director, 99% of the fans here would hate me and stop playing Smash Bros lol.

Assuming I was only the directer of a new game, and all of the previous games still existed:

First thing I'd do is take characters that seem too similar to their counterparts and make them skinswaps - :4marth::4lucina:, :4pit::4darkpit:, :4mario::4drmario:,:ultpeach::ultdaisy:, :younglinkmelee::4tlink: (So that's 5 cuts to the roster size)

Then, I'd make sure that each original (SSB64) franchise gets representation: So :4falcon: gets Black Shadow, :4ness::4lucas: gets Porky

I'd add Dixie Kong, Geno, and Waluigi due to popularity

Instead of trying to add a bunch more 3rd party franchises, I'd expand existing ones. I'd add Dr Eggman, Dr Wiley, Sephiroth

For stages, I would actually cut many. I'd try to keep all of the popular ones (Fountain, Corneria, Battlefield, Final D, Kirby Tree stage etc) but I'd get rid of the scrolling stages (maybe have like 1), all of the ginormous stages, and stages with really annoying hazards.

For the stages I add, I would add some fun ones that wouldn't be viable for competitive, but I'd make an effort to add at least 5 new stages that are "basic" (for Comp) but that make up for it with amazing visuals and music.

For Modes:

I would add a story mode that has In game engine cutscenes to save on time, but it would be pretty lenghty and similar to Subspace in epicness

I would try to give players a lot more control of items, and with items like assist trophies and pokemon, allow players to decide what characters/items can spawn from these.

I think that's it.
Why would you expand on existing third party series? It’s a Nintendo fighting game. The rest is good though

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Toon Link as an alt for Young Link...rather Tink kills off Yink

And Bayo could just be nerfed to bottom tier...or at best high tier

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Why would you expand on existing third party series? It’s a Nintendo fighting game. The rest is good though
I can understand that because Sonic, Mega Man, and Final Fantasy were huge series that mean a lot to Nintendo's history.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Only the games and not the glorious show with Knuckles the “Buff Arms Yet Still Can’t Do Leg Day Feminist” Echidna
Speaking of Boom Knuckles.

ShayMay actually pointed out an issue with his design in his video "Sonic Spitball Part 2" that I agree with.

Whether you like the Super Buff look or not, his large torso draws attention away from his namesake. Regular Knuckles' hands are huge, they are obviously a major part of his design. Boom Knuckles is just "Generic Strong Dude".
I'm a believer. Not a trace, of doubt in my mind. I'm in l... oops, that part makes less sense
Next you'll be saying that we're going to get Shrek.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I understand not everyone will be satisfied. Just those are the top 4 favorites so a lot of people should be. I meant, out of those four which one do you want?
Bandana Dee. He's the only one I feel should be in. The others, minus Crash, just feel like random obscure characters from the Nintendo 64 era.

I know this is just an opinion. I actually have asked why people want Isaac or Geno because I just don't see the appeal and I was just ignored.

So, to me those two are about as relevant as Fossil Fighter or the ghost chicks from Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. I've played Golden Sun and from what remember Isaac who a generic anime RPG protagonist. Him being considered one of the "Top 4 most wanted Smash characters" is basically blasphemy to me. I don't know anything about Geno but from what I assume hes another side character in super Mario RPG. Hes appeared in one game. For reference, Daisy has appeared in one main game and people said she has no chance. Geno, who appeared in one-side game as another buddy you can use, for some reason is considered a "Top 4 most wanted Smash character." Even if Sakurai likes him it just seems like blasphemy to me.

Crash is an icon from what I'm told at least so I actually can see an argument for him. The other two just do not compute in my head, but if anybody feels like explaining their appeal to me I'm not opposed to reading it. I'm not blindly hating on the characters or anything. I just didn't grow up with them and I know next to nothing about them. My mind can be changed.

With that being said claiming "these 4 characters are THE most wanted Smash characters *period*" is complete and utter bull**** and I've already said why. Prove. It. Give some evidence. Are you including the younger fanbase AT ALL? Casuals? Do you see the problem here?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Um....you are conflating a lot of information.

Ivysaur is clearly in it because of the trinity with Pokemon Trainer. Wii Fit is one of the top selling games on the Wii. Robin is an obvious choice if you like the gameplay of Fire Emblem and are tired of the boring, contemporary leads.

I'm not saying Gothitelle is not going to be in the game (though, even if she is, Id argue that the 'leak' is still a guess, given all that is wrong with how it is written).

Someone in Japan: I'm told Gothitelle is quite popular there. Is this at all true?
My overall point is that they're characters that didn't have that many people asking for them. The reasoning were different between each (everyone just said Chrom because he was the biggest character on the boxart/that Gematsu leak) but I'm using them as a sample of the general unpredictability, even if they seem obvious in hindsight.

That said, Sakurai could very well do something like take all of Japan's Magnemite meme votes seriously... (neveraskmeforanythingeveragain)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom