• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I looked at the Simon Belmont for Smash 4 thread and it only got to 7 pages. The Bomberman thread for Smash 4 got to 21 pages.
This site isn't the smash universe.

While is true than certain predictions may come true and popularity spread (Ridley and K.Rool) specially if youtubers tend to include and talk a lot of this characters, there is still plenty of other people and communities. In a smash 4 Nintendo Life poll, Krool came 10th, while Simon came out 9th, and lots of polling show him about the levels of krystal, chrom and dark samus support, sometimes even more.

even if all shows that Sakurai only needed a little excuse like "some popularity" to put Simon in.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I just want Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and Banjo to be confirmed so all the fans can be happy. But then again, the Smash fan base will never be satisfied.
I honestly think, that if Geno, Isaac, Banjo, and even Rayman were put into this game, 95% of the vocal fanbase would probably be content with Smash's roster.

A lot, and I mean A LOT of the salt was eliminated when they did the "Everyone is Here" Trailer. Massive quantities were disbursed when Ridley and K. Rool, the 2 biggest requests, were put in as well.

If these few made it in the base or as DLC, it would surely quiet down nearly all of the fanbase around the world.

Yes, there will always be more requests (Bomberman, Ashley,and Waluigi have gained a surprising amount of backlash), but these are not nearly as high as the ones I mentioned.

Those 4 are probably the highest requested 1st and 3rd party characters Smash still has. And they've been requested for a stupid amount of years now (since before Brawl was released). None of the other characters either deconfirmed or on the list are nearly as requested (thought, you can make cases for Bandana Dee and Skull Kid now due to popularity traction)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This site isn't the smash universe.

While is true than certain predictions may come true and popularity spread (Ridley and K.Rool) specially if youtubers tend to include and talk a lot of this characters, there is still plenty of other people and communities. In a smash 4 Nintendo Life poll, Krool came 10th, while Simon came out 9th, and lots of polling show him about the levels of krystal, chrom and dark samus support, sometimes even more.

even if all shows that Sakurai only needed a little excuse like "some popularity" to put Simon in.
All of the popularity Simon had came from Vergeben. Once E3 happened, many of Vergeben's claims ended up happening, and Bomberman was deconfirmed, Simon gained a ton of supporters.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I honestly think, that if Geno, Isaac, Banjo, and even Rayman were put into this game, 95% of the vocal fanbase would probably be content with Smash's roster.

A lot, and I mean A LOT of the salt was eliminated when they did the "Everyone is Here" Trailer. Massive quantities were disbursed when Ridley and K. Rool, the 2 biggest requests, were put in as well.

If these few made it in the base or as DLC, it would surely quiet down nearly all of the fanbase around the world.

Yes, there will always be more requests (Bomberman, Ashley,and Waluigi have gained a surprising amount of backlash), but these are nearly as high as the ones I mentioned.

Those 4 are probably the highest requested 1st and 3rd party characters Smash still has. And they've been requested for a stupid amount of years now (since before Brawl was released). None of the other characters either deconfirmed or on the list are nearly as requested (thought, you can make cases for Bandana Dee and Skull Kid now due to popularity traction)
Give me Geno and I'll pretty much be satisfied.

Give me Banjo and I'll still kinda want Geno, but I'll be mostly satisfied.

Like... please

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Of the newcomers who are you most looking forward to trying out? Do you see yourself maining that newcomer? Are you wanting to try that character because your like them or because their play style looks appealing?

I'm most eager to try out K Rool. Wanted him for a long time and a heavy character with a counter and decent projectiles? Sounds like it could be fun. Probably won't main though because generally faster characters work better for me. Ridley is a close second.
Ridley and the Inklings are who I'm looking forward to the most. I'm also heavily interested in K. Rool.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All of the popularity Simon had came from Vergeben. Once E3 happened, many of Vergeben's claims ended up happening, and Bomberman was deconfirmed, Simon gained a ton of supporters.
"All of the popularity"?

Yeah, it's not like his games in Nintendo consoles practically created a genre. Like Metroidvania, who?

Enchess

Smash Lord
And even then, given that Richter's an echo fighter, his situation isn't really comparable to the 4 unique newcomers we have so far, which are all big deals in terms of fan-hype.
Yeah, idk why people keep ignoring echo situation.

But also it needs to be said, Richter is a big deal in terms of fan-hype for Castlevania fans. Most of them didn't really want Simon, but knew he's always gonna be first added. Richter addition makes sense because hes not taking a slot since he's an echo, he allows the Castlevania rep everyone knows to be the official rep, and he gives the Castlevania fans who really wanted a rep but didn't want Simon the most well-loved Belmont as a bonus

I don't like third party additions, but as a Castlevania fan I have to defend Richter since he's not really a baffling addition at all (he's pretty unpredictable though)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
"All of the popularity"?

Yeah, it's not like his games in Nintendo consoles practically created a genre. Like Metroidvania, who?
He was previously seen as an unlikely addition due to Snake getting cut and the situation Konami was in. People still wanted Simon in, but they were a minority. Vergeben made Simon seem like a more likely addition to the roster and Simon became more of a popular request as a result.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I know Simon Belmont has been requested since Melee, which I assumed is the reason he's in.
How do you know that? Barely any third parties were considered for Melee (although there were requests to include Snake and Sonic). The modern Smash speculation didn't start until Brawl and until now Simon wasn't a fan favorite. He was likely added to please Castlevania fans.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
CHALLENGE

What do you think the roster will be made of (minus echos)? In case if you don't know what i'm talking about, here's an example.

50% Ballot Choices
25% Previously Considered Characters
15% Promotional Pick (Gen 7 Rep)
10% New Franchise 2nd Rep (Elma)
If I had to guess: 5 Unique Newcomers

1 Promotional Character: 7th Gen Pokemon/Pokemon in General
2 More Strict Ballot Characters: Isaac and Bandana Dee (The 2 relatively highest voted characters in polls in recent years still left behind K. Rool, especially if you heed SSB4Dojo's datasheet). If it HAD to be another 3rd party character: Banjo and Kazooie or Rayman in place of one of these, they are pretty up there too.
1 Previously Considered Character: Geno (Heavily considered by Sakurai/Is Sakurai's Favorite Character). Still immensely popular with fans.
1 Zelda Rep: Skull Kid (I'm cheating here because he's implied to be in the game through a rumor and has hints with what we know already)

Perhaps another 4-5 Echo Fighters

Impa
Shadow
Dixie Kong
Isabelle
etc.

If a 6th or 7th newcomer managed to also make it, it would be Banjo or Rayman.

I'm strictly basing all of my choices on popular demand right now though, which is what 95% of the returning characters and newcomers are.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I like this "you're the director game" we're playing. I'm gonna try my hand at it.

:ultroy::ultyounglink::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultdarkpit: get cut.

I'm fine with echo characters. They could have some more differences like power, speed, etc. but they're fine. They all are either popular characters that people have clamored for :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy:/I think are attractive :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultrichter:. I would also add Shadow, Dixie, and Impa as echoes as well, with some differences to accurately portray them (Dixie's hair, for example).

:ultganondorf::ultdoc::ultsamus::ulttoonlink: get some revamps to either accurately portray them/freshen up their moveset (Samus's moveset is starting to bore me, especially after seeing how cool Mii Gunner was).

One of :ultness::ultlucas: also gets minor changes, maybe just get Lucas some PK Love special so people can stop saying they're super cloney (seriously, besides the obvious Luigi, Lucas is the most Luigi-fied "clone" on the roster).

I'd add Skull Kid, Gardevoir (don't believe the leak, just made me realize I really like her, she's my favorite Pokemon), Isabelle, and Bandana Dee. Make Sora DLC, and call it a day.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
That's Lucina. Her as a baby in the main timeline, anyway, not the version from the alternate future that you play as.
Whenever I see "Chrom" and "picture" in the same sentence, I only think of one picture.

download.jpg

Edited for maximum bootyliciousness

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, idk why people keep ignoring echo situation.

But also it needs to be said, Richter is a big deal in terms of fan-hype for Castlevania fans. Most of them didn't really want Simon, but knew he's always gonna be first added. Richter addition makes sense because hes not taking a slot since he's an echo, he allows the Castlevania rep everyone knows to be the official rep, and he gives the Castlevania fans who really wanted a rep but didn't want Simon the most well-loved Belmont as a bonus
I guess that's fair. Though, given I wasn't a Castlevania fan, I was both surprised and unable to recognize who Richter was when his trailer was revealed. And given there were quiet a lot of Smash fans who also weren't able to recognize him, Richter definitely comes across as pretty weird inclusion for people who have no knowledge of his popularity within the Castlevania fanbase.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess that's fair. Though, given I wasn't a Castlevania fan, I was both surprised and unable to recognize who Richter was when his trailer was revealed. And given there were quiet a lot of Smash fans who also weren't able to recognize him, Richter definitely comes across as pretty weird inclusion for people who have no knowledge of his popularity within the Castlevania fanbase.
I guess Sakurai wants to satisfy franchises' own fans, not just Smash fans.

This was seemingly his MO during Smash For, with Rosalina, Dark Pit etc.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I guess Sakurai wants to satisfy franchises' own fans, not just Smash fans.

This was seemingly his MO during Smash For, with Rosalina, Dark Pit etc.
Yeah. Simon and Richter getting in was probably to please Castlevania fans rather than Smash fans.

D

Deleted member

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah. Simon and Richter getting in was probably to please Castlevania fans rather than Smash fans.
Actually, I'd say Simon is there for Smash fans. Simon was always requested Belmont among Smash fans, but it seems his games weren't the best regarded in Castlevania fandom.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's perfectly simple.
Both are Pokemon that were/could potentially be chosen for filling a role over raw fan demand.

Send me the medical bill
The Pokemon Company would approve of the Kanto starter trio being in the game. They would not approve of shoving a random Gen V Pokemon in the game just for the sake of having one.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yeah. Funny thing is I don't even like Richter. I've just participated in enough "Who's the best playable character?" conversations in Castlevania communities to know I'm outnumbered in that circle.
Actually, I'd say Simon is there for Smash fans. Simon was always requested Belmont among Smash fans, but it seems his games weren't the best regarded in Castlevania fandom.
No, they are the first ones and are really rough around the edges. They laid a lot of good groundwork, but the level design hadn't quite nailed the tough-but-fair feeling, the jumps don't feel right (not just because they are committed), and combat options are super limited. Castlevania's legendary status also owes a lot to the Metroidvania titles. Simon had one of those, but it's pretty disliked as it was one of the first games to play with it and unlike Metroid it fumbled it's first go.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I just want Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and Banjo to be confirmed so all the fans can be happy. But then again, the Smash fan base will never be satisfied.
Not everyone would be happy but it would have kind of a vending machine effect though. You know how sometimes when vending machines are restocked, the older items are usually pushed back and they hope nobody notices? That's basically what has happened for three of those four for more than a decade. Banjo, Isaac, and especially Geno's Smash support would all be old enough to drive and in high school if they were anthromorphized so to say that some Smash fans have been waiting a lifetime for them is no small exaggeration. A good number of us who support those characters are now in our 30's so adding them in turn would be doing a big service to Smash's longest standing fans.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/97op93/the_most_and_least_viewed_character_videos_from/

Here is a post that focuses on view count of character trailers, after 8/8/2018. What do you all think about where your main is? I knew Link would be popular, so yeah.

Poor Fox though. And Shulk.
All the Kid Icarus character are in the bottom 6, ouch. Not too surprising though, something about them makes them feel very unsatisfying to play as, Pit is just so basic and unlike Mario doesn't really pack much of a punch or has the same easy to pull off combos, while Palutena is just super sluggish.

As for my mains, it's not too surprising to see Jigglypuff just being somewhere in the middle of the pack, although I guess it's better than being at the bottom which she quite easily could have been. My planned Ultimate main in Ridley did much better for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I now wonder whether or not Smash Lucina is from the future or present day and all grown up...or it’s some FEHeroes ****
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/97op93/the_most_and_least_viewed_character_videos_from/

Here is a post that focuses on view count of character trailers, after 8/8/2018. What do you all think about where your main is? I knew Link would be popular, so yeah.

Palutena is more viewed than Pit...yet most people won’t bother using her
Ryu isn’t watched that much...evil
Daisy has more views than all but K Rool...how
Sonic being the most watched 3rd Party...ayy
How do you know that? Barely any third parties were considered for Melee (although there were requests to include Snake and Sonic). The modern Smash speculation didn't start until Brawl and until now Simon wasn't a fan favorite. He was likely added to please Castlevania fans.
Or to please Sakurai himself since he loves Castlevania

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Reggie has a Skull Kid on his desk in this Diablo video

Have fun with this meaningless information.

D

Deleted member

Looking at the numbers, most of the Smash 4 newcomers' trailers tend to have less views than the rest. You get some exceptions, like Greninja having more than Lucario, and Diddy/Olimar/Fox being in the bottom 10. Corrin strikes me as a bit of an odd outlier, with his trailer having more views than Robin's and Lucina's. Mega Man also exceeds 100k, but he's Mega Man, so that's to be expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
CHALLENGE

What do you think the roster will be made of (minus echos)? In case if you don't know what i'm talking about, here's an example.

50% Ballot Choices
25% Previously Considered Characters
15% Promotional Pick (Gen 7 Rep)
10% New Franchise 2nd Rep (Elma)
40% Ballot (Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Waddle Dee, Skull Kid, maybe Shantae since her biggest competitor, Shovel Knight, is out of the running)
25% Previously considered (Chrom, Heihachi, Geno, Lloyd)
25% Promotional (any new non-indie third parties incl. Simon & Richter; Gen 7)
10% New Franchise additional reps (Elma, Isabelle)

I know you said minus echoes but Chrom WAS previously considered, and Isabelle is a 2nd Rep for a franchise new to Smash, so

And Richter is a third party therefore promotional

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Of the newcomers who are you most looking forward to trying out? Do you see yourself maining that newcomer? Are you wanting to try that character because your like them or because their play style looks appealing?

I'm most eager to try out K Rool. Wanted him for a long time and a heavy character with a counter and decent projectiles? Sounds like it could be fun. Probably won't main though because generally faster characters work better for me. Ridley is a close second.
Definitely second the King K. Rool hype. He looks exactly like how I imagined he would play. I couldn't be happier with how they decided to make him! Not sure if I'll main him G&W and Pac-Man are still The Lads but I'll still be playing him a whole bunch.

Staarih

Smash Master

I’ve been regularly watching the trailers and checking the views as well, so I find this interesting. Every new character revealed from now on will obviously gain more views than any of the ones showed at E3 cause it’s easier to watch like one or two instead of 60+ at once haha. Though some characters have still garnered respectable amounts of views. Of course whenever a fighter is shown in the site/blog, that’ll also boost the views a bit (tho Pit didn’t seem to benefit from it much lol).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm actually really happy with the newcomers so far - definitely a big change from Sm4sh.

I'm definitely trying all of them. I've gotta do each of their classic modes and run all-star with all of them. Still, K.Rool and Ridley do look really fun. Dark Samus is kinda meh, Simon, Richter, and Chrom are ok, and I'm quite interested in seeing Daisy as well. Honorable mention to the return of the Trainer, who I missed very much since Brawl and can't wait to play my tinyturtle again.

Still, there's only one character that could get me to not main Link anymore, but there doesn't seem to be much support for the Dragonborn. I'm interested in seeing what else we still have coming, but I'm not expecting any announcements that top what we already have. I've hopped on the Skull Kid train, but the other big names thrown around are somewhere on a scale of "meh" to "ugh" for me. Unfortunately, my remaining big wants are not exactly looking likely due to recency, competition, or just lack of support.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Kind of odd that Skull Kid is going to be the considered Newcomer... especially since he wasn't really that popular amongst others.

Dang this is a Villains and Heroes game, I'm gonna need a Defibrillator if this means my dream is actually close
"Skull Kid is going to be considered Newcomer"

Can we all stop assuming Skull Kid is going to be in the game, please? We don't (and can't) know that yet.
Can't shake this feeling people are latching on to the Gardevoir leak because they really, really don't want Incineroar, lol.
Well, Gardevoir is a popular Pokémon. Gothitelle, on the other hand...

Takato-mon?
You misspelled "Guilmon", Pakky.
He doesn’t need to change height, just add the bandages, the hipster scarf, and the extremely loved blue arms

It was a good design for Sonic Boom (plus the show is ****ing great)
Boom!Sonic is only a good design off the strength of the already strong Sonic Design. The scarf and all that sports tape is just extra, needless clutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom