• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Oh man, if I were the Smash director, 99% of the fans here would hate me and stop playing Smash Bros lol.

Assuming I was only the directer of a new game, and all of the previous games still existed:

First thing I'd do is take characters that seem too similar to their counterparts and make them skinswaps - :4marth::4lucina:, :4pit::4darkpit:, :4mario::4drmario:,:ultpeach::ultdaisy:, :younglinkmelee::4tlink: (So that's 5 cuts to the roster size)

Then, I'd make sure that each original (SSB64) franchise gets representation: So :4falcon: gets Black Shadow, :4ness::4lucas: gets Porky

I'd add Dixie Kong, Geno, and Waluigi due to popularity

Instead of trying to add a bunch more 3rd party franchises, I'd expand existing ones. I'd add Dr Eggman, Dr Wiley, Sephiroth

For my most unpopular part, I would make some cuts: :4mii:, :4bayonetta:

For stages, I would actually cut many. I'd try to keep all of the popular ones (Fountain, Corneria, Battlefield, Final D, Kirby Tree stage etc) but I'd get rid of the scrolling stages (maybe have like 1), all of the ginormous stages, and stages with really annoying hazards.

For the stages I add, I would add some fun ones that wouldn't be viable for competitive, but I'd make an effort to add at least 5 new stages that are "basic" (for Comp) but that make up for it with amazing visuals and music.

For Modes:

I would add a story mode that has In game engine cutscenes to save on time, but it would be pretty lenghty and similar to Subspace in epicness

I would try to give players a lot more control of items, and with items like assist trophies and pokemon, allow players to decide what characters/items can spawn from these.

I think that's it.
*put Daisy as a skin*

*Adds Waluigi*

...what are you even?

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Bandana Dee. He's the only one I feel should be in. The others, minus Crash, just feel like random obscure characters from the Nintendo 64 era.

I know this is just an opinion. I actually have asked why people want Isaac or Geno because I just don't see the appeal and I was just ignored.

So, to me those two are about as relevant as Fossil Fighter or the ghost chicks from Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. I've played Golden Sun and from what remember Isaac who a generic anime RPG protagonist. Him being considered one of the "Top 4 most wanted Smash characters" is basically blasphemy to me. I don't know anything about Geno but from what I assume hes another side character in super Mario RPG. Hes appeared in one game. For reference, Daisy has appeared in one main game and people said she has no chance. Geno, who appeared in one-side game as another buddy you can use, for some reason is considered a "Top 4 most wanted Smash character." Even if Sakurai likes him it just seems like blasphemy to me.

Crash is an icon from what I'm told at least so I actually can see an argument for him. The other two just do not compute in my head, but if anybody feels like explaining their appeal to me I'm not opposed to reading it. I'm not blindly hating on the characters or anything. I just didn't grow up with them and I know next to nothing about them. My mind can be changed.

With that being said claiming "these 4 characters are THE most wanted Smash characters *period*" is complete and utter bull**** and I've already said why. Prove. It. Give some evidence. Are you including the younger fanbase AT ALL? Casuals? Do you see the problem here?
K calm down I’m just going off of polls. Who do you think should be in? Then we’ll discuss but I’m not going to debate with you if you have to insult characters.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Bandana Dee. He's the only one I feel should be in. The others, minus Crash, just feel like random obscure characters from the Nintendo 64 era.

I know this is just an opinion. I actually have asked why people want Isaac or Geno because I just don't see the appeal and I was just ignored.

So, to me those two are about as relevant as Fossil Fighter or the ghost chicks from Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. I've played Golden Sun and from what remember Isaac who a generic anime RPG protagonist. Him being considered one of the "Top 4 most wanted Smash characters" is basically blasphemy to me. I don't know anything about Geno but from what I assume hes another side character in super Mario RPG. Hes appeared in one game. For reference, Daisy has appeared in one main game and people said she has no chance. Geno, who appeared in one-side game as another buddy you can use, for some reason is considered a "Top 4 most wanted Smash character." Even if Sakurai likes him it just seems like blasphemy to me.

Crash is an icon from what I'm told at least so I actually can see an argument for him. The other two just do not compute in my head, but if anybody feels like explaining their appeal to me I'm not opposed to reading it. I'm not blindly hating on the characters or anything. I just didn't grow up with them and I know next to nothing about them. My mind can be changed.

With that being said claiming "these 4 characters are THE most wanted Smash characters *period*" is complete and utter bull**** and I've already said why. Prove. It. Give some evidence. Are you including the younger fanbase AT ALL? Casuals? Do you see the problem here?
But they are. I'm sorry but you not knowing a lot of incredibly popular characters is 100% your fault and nobody's else. The fact that there's a large userbase that has been following Smash releases since forever while you're pretty much new to them says more about you than anything people are asking. You can complain as much as you want, but these characters have been highly requested for years, you being fairly young doesn't change any of that.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I do think the Mario RPGs (SMRPG, Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi saga) deserve some sort of representation at this point. I may not know much about Geno, but if I can't get Paper Mario I'll gladly take Geno.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I wonder if they'll ever add an item for Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem representation the same way they did for Pokemon? Fire Emblem's could be the summoning orb from the Fire Emblem Heroes mobile game, but I don't know enough about AC to guess what they'd do for them.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
*put Daisy as a skin*

*Adds Waluigi*

...what are you even?
I specifically said that I'd combine characters that are too similar lol. I'd consider remaking her moveset based off the sports games. Also, I dislike Waluigi, but I recognize that he's a popular choice. And there's nobody that he'd be an echo of (imo).

TMNTSSB4 TMNTSSB4 I did say 99% of the people here would hate my decisions lol. But I don't know the canonical differences between Toon Link and Young Link. I just think 3 links is too many.

With Bayo, I don't care about her tier. I just don't think she is a good fit for Smash Bros.

Blue7113 Blue7113 Good point! I barely consider Sonic and Megaman to be 3rd party, and I'd just love to see Dr Robotnik and Dr Wiley. I don't know why I said Sephiroth, I wouldn't mind if Cloud was removed tbh lol

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Crash is most definitely an icon (or at least an icon of the '90s).

Golden Sun was a best-selling, highly-rated RPG on the GBA (which means it had to compete with Pokémon). Whether you, personally, think Isaac is generic, many others would disagree (he is at the very least not generic in his capabilities).

monadoboy

Smash Lord
It's a post-Awakening Fire Emblem game it's going to be polarizing no matter what Intelligence System does. It's either going to be too similar to Awakening or Fates which will irritate old school FE fans or it will be too different will will irritate the Post-Awakening FE fans.
Thanks **** I love both pre- and post- Awakening FE so I get to enjoy Three Houses without moaning about whatever circlejerk everyone's complaining about.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Reggie has a Skull Kid on his desk in this Diablo video

Have fun with this meaningless information.
Yeah… meaningless… twice in a row we get teased with this figure… + loz18's source almost sure about skull kid + if you even want to consider sakurai's ornaments on last direct (or not, take it as you will)… honestly things with skull kid keep piling up. It's funny to see people simply want to deny it, even if yes, it's just teasing and probably nothing, it IS still happening in front of us and we should aknoweldge it. I'm prepared for disappointment but at the same time i'm not gonna lower my expectations if we keep getting teased like this + with a leaker saying he is coming. I'm crossing my fingers for the time being, that is all.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Thanks **** I love both pre- and post- Awakening FE so I get to enjoy Three Houses without moaning about whatever circlejerk everyone's complaining about.
Same here I'm glad I get enjoyment out of all facets of FE as well.

Speaking of which Kaga's free to play SRPG Vestaria Saga is getting an english demo soon which is cool.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I Am more or less the same. The whole thing is a tiring aspect of the Fire Emblem community

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would overrep Sonic, DK, and Zelda.

Sonic would have Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy, Metal Sonic, and Shadow.

DK would have Funky, Dixie, Cranky, Tiny, and Lanky.

Zelda would have Skull Kid, Fierce Deity, Ghirahim, Midna, Impa, and Wolf Link
Personally, I would swap out Shadow for Blaze, swap out Wolf Link for Twili Midna (unless that was the version of her you were going for), and add Chunky.

Crash is most definitely an icon (or at least an icon of the '90s).
Yeah, he's among the most noteworthy Western mascots of that era (alongside Spyro, Rayman, Duke Nukem and EWJ).

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
But they are. I'm sorry but you not knowing a lot of incredibly popular characters is 100% your fault and nobody's else. The fact that there's a large userbase that has been following Smash releases since forever while you're pretty much new to them says more about you than anything people are asking. You can complain as much as you want, but these characters have been highly requested for years, you being fairly young doesn't change any of that.
This 1000%. Smash has always been about relevancy and now that one iteration gives us fanservice it’s a problem? We all know this game is going to sell tremendously well so if you’re that upset just wait for DLC when it comes. Spring Man and Rex will almost certainly be playable once DLC rolls around

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah… meaningless… twice in a row we get teased with this figure… + loz18's source almost sure about skull kid + if you even want to consider sakurai's ornaments on last direct (or not, take it as you will)… honestly things with skull kid keep piling up. It's funny to see people simply want to deny it, even if yes, it's just teasing and probably nothing, it IS still happening in front of us and we should aknoweldge it. I'm prepared for disappointment but at the same time i'm not gonna lower my expectations if we keep getting teased like this + with a leaker saying he is coming. I'm crossing my fingers for the time being, that is all.
I mean Loz never said Skull Kid was happening, just that his source implied Skull Kid. Surprisingly big difference

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wonder.

I don't really care for the "hints" in the form of that picture or skull kid being on Reggie's desk, but I also believe Skull Kid will get in.
And it's not like I'll feel invalidated if Skull Kid gets in just because I didn't think too hard on the hints- they could very well not be hints at all and he'd still probably get in.

With that said, would you suddenly feel validated if he got in? It's not like they're gonna confirm if these "hints" are actually hints or not ever, so would you actually be right? Or is it all just coincidence?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Are you doing requests? If so, I'd like to see a Scizor or Galacta Knight one.
I made Morpho the one you want has already been made by someone else.

I'll check on Scizor but that might be made already.

-----
Also for someone at random...

jk

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wonder.

I don't really care for the "hints" in the form of that picture or skull kid being on Reggie's desk, but I also believe Skull Kid will get in.
And it's not like I'll feel invalidated if Skull Kid gets in just because I didn't think too hard on the hints- they could very well not be hints at all and he'd still probably get in.

With that said, would you suddenly feel validated if he got in? It's not like they're gonna confirm if these "hints" are actually hints or not ever, so would you actually be right? Or is it all just coincidence?
You know.

Maybe Skull Kid is on Reggie's desk...

Because maybe... just maybe, Reggie personally likes Skull Kid.

Not everything Nintendo has to do with Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know.

Maybe Skull Kid is on Reggie's desk...

Because maybe... just maybe, Reggie personally likes Skull Kid.

Not everything Nintendo has to do with Smash.
You gotta remember that the Switch version of Diablo III would have Zelda stuff as a selling point, there's also a TP Zelda figure and a Master Sword, and considering how iconic Majora's Mask is, arguably as recognizable as the Master Sword and Triforce, it's to scream "LEGEND OF ZELDA" in your face

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m be honest with you guys.

It’s interesting that they did have a Skull Kid figure on his desk, but this is really out of context. I mean come on, it’s a video about fricking BLIZZARD for christ’s sakes and the fact that they haven’t released a game on a Nintendo console for almost two decades releasing Diablo 3 for the Switch, this isn’t supposed to be Smash related in any way.

Anyways, it’s a little weird that Skull Kid isn’t even fully in view, he’s sort of cut out and out of sight.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
You gotta remember that the Switch version of Diablo III would have Zelda stuff as a selling point, there's also a TP Zelda figure and a Master Sword, and considering how iconic Majora's Mask is, arguably as recognizable as the Master Sword and Triforce, it's to scream "LEGEND OF ZELDA" in your face
Yeah, but then that would be a "Zelda in Diablo" reference, not a "Skull Kid in Smash" reference.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I’m be honest with you guys.

It’s interesting that they did have a Skull Kid figure on his desk. But this is out of context. It’s a video about fricking BLIZZARD for christ’s sakes and the fact that they haven’t released a game on a Nintendo console for almost two decades. This isn’t supposed to be Smash related in any way.

Anyways, it’s a little weird that Skull Kid isn’t even fully in view, he’s sort of cut out and out of sight.
I think most people think that way, yes.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Same here I'm glad I get enjoyment out of all facets of FE as well.

Speaking of which Kaga's free to play SRPG Vestaria Saga is getting an english demo soon which is cool.
I forgot about that game, downloading the demo right now, thanks for reminding me

I Am more or less the same. The whole thing is a tiring aspect of the Fire Emblem community
Fanart is the only reason I follow anything FE related in social media these days. Anything Heroes does brings too much needless drama

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So I’ve been wondering, is it possible Lanky Kong perform better than Cranky and Funk Kong in the ballot? Because if there’s a big DLC season..

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It's 100% fine to look at leaks and think they might be legit (though I don't personally recommend it). What's not ok is going to great lengths to defend a text leak to the point of annoyance. A leak can 100% be made up and said character could still make it in the game. It wouldn't make a "leak" more legit.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I’ve been wondering, is it possible Lanky Kong perform better than Cranky and Funk Kong in the ballot? Because if there’s a big DLC season..
It's likely enough, given that Funky didn't get to show up on TF yet. On the other hand, there are Cranky supporters wanting him in Smash even before he was going to make his platformer debut, so who knows?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
As someone who supports these "clues", I don't think they are truly giving this much attention for Skull Kid. I mean, he's just Skull Kid, he's no Banjo, Geno or even Isaac. I don't see why they would make a big deal on Skull Kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom