• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Didn’t stop ROB, Duck Hunt, Ganondorf(who doesn’t even use a move from his games), Peach, Mario(the Mario characters really only did a few things each), the Kongs(did like 3 things).

A lot of the characters in Smash were just creatively expanded upon.
Don't forget Captain Falcon, who just had his bounty hunter background, let alone any known fighting abilities.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As far as I know, there has been no more evidence, and people are just repeating the same arguments and discussions about the leaks we've already talked about for hundreds of pages (no joke, it's been hundred of them by now, lol). So… nothing new really. I would rather move on from that until we actually get substantial news about it. Last night there was just drama because of it, so it's not worth it imo.

Of course, but if it ends being true in the end, people wanting so bad to take the fun from speculating on things like this should also be considered a waste of time. Let people enjoy, is what I would say.
People should be be allowed to speculate how they want.
For instance, people should be able to say "wow that cloud is ridley" and also people should be able to say "wow that cloud is just a cloud"

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I'ma gonna play director now. And make most people mad...

Reduce to Alt Costumes with cosmetic differences in attacks: :ultdoc::ultfalco::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultlucas::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultyounglink::ultwolf::ultchrom:

Cut::ultjigglypuff::ultganondorf::ultsheik:
Yeah this is gross. You cut one of the original 12 ,cut two main Zelda characters, and made Luigi and Lucas alts? Ew. Why would you do that to Luigi

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In that scenario of being "100% about fans", yeah. Skull Kid would not be in the middle of the pack though. In terms of demand back in Brawl, the demand was far greater than Dee and Isaac, being behind Geno and eventually surpassing his popularity when Smash 4 came around with this poll sent to Sakurai. But again, I brought up multiple possible factors towards his inclusion, so Skull Kid's addition would probably not be primarily added just for demand... :p
That poll was botted by 4chan. I mean Skull Kid is more popular than Mega Man on it, and anyone who was around back then can tell you how ridiculous that is. I remember people were mad they were sending results that weren't indicative of the fanbase to Sakurai because 4chan was being super blatant about fixing the results.

And I don't recall Skull Kid's Brawl popularity being anything super special, especially in the face of Midna, Tingle and "Cel-Shaded Link", who all split the vote. But if you've a source I'd love to take a look at it.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
But none of that really makes Skull Kid stand out... he's not the only character with moveset potential. He's not the only character from a highly acclaimed Nintendo game, given how many of them there are. Hell, he wasn't even the only candidate from a highly-acclaimed Zelda game.

Unless you narrow the parameters, in what area does Skull Kid excel more than any other candidate?
Great cackle, impending doom that, without time travel, would easily have been successful.

It was the hardest of the 3D Zeldas. Most unique of any Zelda and still unique amongst games. The story and setting was unlike most.

Skull Kid was the Zelda equivalent of Loki. Mischievous, but dangerous. The power Majora had was greater than pretty much any Zelda villain, being able to summon the moon itself. Majora has the power to transform his opponents at a whim, while still being able to create Monstrosities much like Ganondorf.

I don’t know. He was really cool. I wish more of Skull Kid and his infamous stolen mask had been seen throughout the game and more.

Skull Kid in Smash would probably have me entirely switch my core main characters almost entirely now that K. Rool and Simon are in. I like him more than the majority of Smash characters already available.

I’d be playing K. Rool, Skull Kid, Simon and Ganon and Zelda. My mains for years have been Olimar and Ness, also included Robin in 4. As fun as they are, they don’t stand a chance against K. Rool, Simon and Skull Kid for my personal roster.

D

Deleted member

I never got the idea of making clones into alt costumes. It only decreases variety and adds nothing.
Because people are way too fixated on this concept of "slots" and that every fighter takes the same time and effort to create.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Of course, but if it ends being true in the end, people wanting so bad to take the fun from speculating on things like this should also be considered a waste of time. Let people enjoy, is what I would say.
I've always advocated for speculation because it's fun, that's absolutely fine, but I've seen too many backhanded comments at people just because they don't buy these "hints". Speculation is one thing, but once that speculation starts becoming more negative towards people who don't believe it, that's where the problem starts, and that has absolutely been a problem with this Skull Kid stuff.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Great cackle, impending doom that, without time travel, would easily have been successful.

It was the hardest of the 3D Zeldas. Most unique of any Zelda and still unique amongst games. The story and setting was unlike most.

Skull Kid was the Zelda equivalent of Loki. Mischievous, but dangerous. The power Majora had was greater than pretty much any Zelda villain, being able to summon the moon itself. Majora has the power to transform his opponents at a whim, while still being able to create Monstrosities much like Ganondorf.

I don’t know. He was really cool. I wish more of Skull Kid and his infamous stolen mask had been seen throughout the game and more.

Skull Kid in Smash would probably have me entirely switch my core main characters almost entirely now that K. Rool and Simon are in. I like him more than the majority of Smash characters already available.

I’d be playing K. Rool, Skull Kid, Simon and Ganon and Zelda. My mains for years have been Olimar and Ness, also included Robin in 4. As fun as they are, they don’t stand a chance against K. Rool, Simon and Skull Kid for my personal roster.
I'm not for a second arguing that Skull Kid isn't cool or capable of being an interesting Smash character. Skull Kid's rad. I have his statue.

But most of those qualities aren't things that really effect Smash inclusion. I mean they might impact popularity, but my point is that Skull Kid's popularity has been middling for a long long time. So it's probably not just that at work should he become playable.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
For instance, people should be able to say "wow that cloud is ridley" and also people should be able to say "wow that cloud is just a cloud"
Shutting down other's speculation is not speculation as well imo. You're free to disagree, but to consistently try to tell them 100% that they are wrong for speculating that it COULD be something, that's wrong, and that's my point I tried to make.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If people don't believe in the speculation that you believe, then trying to force the conversation isn't going to help. Go to said characters support thread if you want people with similar thoughts to talk to on the matter.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I've always advocated for speculation because it's fun, that's absolutely fine, but I've seen too many backhanded comments at people just because they don't buy these "hints". Speculation is one thing, but once that speculation starts becoming more negative towards people who don't believe it, that's where the problem starts, and that has absolutely been a problem with this Skull Kid stuff.
As far as I know, it's totall up to you to let others speculation decide what you believe or not. If someone is speculating about the damn Gardevoir thing, I'm not gonna let it affect me simply because I don't care. It's not like a sickness that spreads unless you're naive and believe everything you read. I'm not gonna stop having my own speculation for the sake of others that are not able to form their own point of view on things, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I'm not for a second arguing that Skull Kid isn't cool or capable of being an interesting Smash character. Skull Kid's rad. I have his statue.

But most of those qualities aren't things that really effect Smash inclusion. I mean they might impact popularity, but my point is that Skull Kid's popularity has been middling for a long long time. So it's probably not just that at work should he become playable.
Oh, I see. Yeah, the recent surge in confidence for him is a surprise to me. And I do doubt he won any popularity contest, but who can say? May have been just an unspoken wish for a lot of folks and it was strikingly high compared to some higher voted, but less accessible character choices. I’m guessing that during the ballot, Sakurai and company were surprised by the support of villains for the franchises already present in smash.

Skull Kid’s inclusion in Hyrule Warriors also made people happy and reminded the younger generations that he exists and that he was dope as a pope.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If people don't believe in the speculation that you believe, then trying to force the conversation isn't going to help. Go to said characters support thread if you want people with similar thoughts to talk to on the matter.
Sure thing, I said the same about the whole Gardevoir thing and people still come here to talk about it instead of a pokemon speculation thread. That surely went well and I surely was listened for saying it, lol (just check last night's drama and days before it, it just keeps repeating). Same thing goes for every other character we speculate here, they have their own threads and yet we all come here to talk about them regardless. When everyone stops their specific speculations on specific characters in this general thread, let me know. It's been over hundreds of pages of it now already. I will gladly follow that if it's a rule if everyone else starts doing it as well with the whole pokemon thing.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Guys, wasn't the fact that Chrom and Dark Samus recolors were absent in Ike and Samus in the demo a clue for them possibly becoming characters? Because I was just rewatching a few videos and Sonic had a black recolor.. like, very black. Just saying.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
As fara as I know, it's totall up to you to let others speculation decide what you believe or not. If someone is speculating about the damn Gardevoir thing, I'm not gonna let it affect me simply because I don't care. It's not like a sickness that spreads unless you're naive and believe everything you read. I'm not gonna stop having my own speculation for the sake of others that are not able to form their own point of view on things, I'm sorry.
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. I'm saying speculation is fine, but once you start making backhanded comments at people who don't believe it, that becomes a problem. I'm not telling you what to think. I'm saying if you talk about something that people don't agree with, you don't need to make any passive aggressive comments because they think so called hints at a character are silly.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
It's actually Randall, geez get your Nintendo lore straight Toaster.

:p

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Guys, wasn't the fact that Chrom and Dark Samus recolors were absent in Ike and Samus in the demo a clue for them possibly becoming characters? Because I was just rewatching a few videos and Sonic had a black recolor.. like, very black. Just saying.
Like...he has one in the Demo?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well with those two the palettes were outright meant to reference those characters, even if I thought Ike's was Sigurd. Sonic's palettes are too dull usually. What armbands did it have? Cause I know one of Sonic's palettes had Silver's armbands

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So I just found out about that NSBMU Deluxe rumor. Only reason I bring it up is because apparently that's launching before the end of the year. That further indicates to me that we're almost on the doorstep of a Nintendo Direct with that port needing to be announced soon and the online coming in about a month.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Source? I thought they weren't allowed to mess with Sonic's colors much.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i think skull kid is likely because he's been popular since pre-brawl era and majora content seems to be there but trying to skip around something bigger (Moon AT shown but no Young Link final smash?)

Any "hints" nintendo make are either just them messing for some big buzz or misintrepreting a social media post. I don't remember the last time a major character was ever actually hinted at before release.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
This is the darkest one he has now.

Attachments

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That poll was botted by 4chan. I mean Skull Kid is more popular than Mega Man on it, and anyone who was around back then can tell you how ridiculous that is. I remember people were mad they were sending results that weren't indicative of the fanbase to Sakurai because 4chan was being super blatant about fixing the results.

And I don't recall Skull Kid's Brawl popularity being anything super special, especially in the face of Midna, Tingle and "Cel-Shaded Link", who all split the vote. But if you've a source I'd love to take a look at it.
I know about the botted results, but it was still taken into account by Sakurai for Smash 4 project plan anyway.

That is weird about you mentioning Brawl popularity, has it been a misconception the whole time? Whenever people mention Brawl speculation, I commonly see Skull Kid and Geno paired in terms of "king of popularity", surpassing Midna in requests when it is discussed.

Blue, Bandana Dee was literally just the first opponent in Megaton Punch back then, he didn't get popular until Super Star Ultra, which was AFTER Brawl's release
I thought it was Return to Dreamland that made him popular?

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Pit still has an alt. that resembles Dark Pit, and we know for a fact that he's in the game.

Sonic's black alt. barely resembles Shadow, and even that's pushing it. I don't think it means much.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I just found out about that NSBMU Deluxe rumor. Only reason I bring it up is because apparently that's launching before the end of the year. That further indicates to me that we're almost on the doorstep of a Nintendo Direct with that port needing to be announced soon and the online coming in about a month.
I wish they'd announce a port for SM3DW soon, I wouldn't want that to be the only Mario remaining on the Wii U.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
There's another Zelda character who uses Purple as a major part of their design who hasn't been seen yet in Smash. let me dream
A character who should've been in Smash by now

Actually, I've been meaning to post this since I made it two days ago, but this thread's been moving way too quickly. :laugh:

I decided to make a Smash Roster, organizing it as though it was a proper 1v1 fighting game.
View attachment 158200
This is what I came up with, had to add a few guys (Dixie, BD, Shadow and Agumon) to make it a rectangle

Feel free to listen to a Soul Calibur Character select theme (like this one) while looking at it.
9.5/10

It's missing Crash though

Blue is ridiculously optimistic about any of his core predictions. So much the lunatic made a bet with actual money on it
Did he add that he would eat a shoe if he didn't make it?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know about the botted results, but it was still taken into account by Sakurai for Smash 4 project plan anyway.

That is weird about you mentioning Brawl popularity, has it been a misconception the whole time? Whenever people mention Brawl speculation, I commonly see Skull Kid, Sonic, and Geno paired in terms of "king of popularity", surpassing Midna in requests when it is discussed.

I thought it was Return to Dreamland that made him popular?
His Return to Dreamland pause description implies his popularity got him in. It helped a LOT, but people really liked him in Revenge of the King. Either way, it's INCREDIBLY misleading of you to use Bandana Dee as a comparison for Brawl support, if anything, that's downplaying your point entirely

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yep that's the one. Does it resembles Shadow? Or it just a simple black recolor. I genuinely ask because I have about 1% knowledge about Sonic.
Not much imo. Shadow is purely black with red parts. That right there is just a very dark blue… I, at least, don't consider it to be anything like shadow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom