• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I appreciate you responding to me, but I have no idea what that means. 480 out of what? And which Japanese poll?
It was called Pokemon Elections, and by 480, I mean it ranks as approximately the 480th most popular Pokemon out of the 720 options on the poll.

I'm getting the numbers from here. If this poll has any merit whatsoever, it seems as though if Sakurai needed to make an easy Gen 5 Pokemon for the sake of having a Gen 5 Pokemon, Emolga would be far more likely.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Sega wont allow Sonic to truly change color. Only the accessories actually get much editing.

I dont think it is a valid comparison. The color palettes for Chrom and Dark Samus made the Ike and Samus look almost identical to their counterparts. Sonic and Shadow will always look different, regardless.
Yeah, also I'm thinking if Shadow does get in he'll have the alt colors from his own game, which were actually pretty ok color differences.

D

Deleted member

Just give me a mode where I can play as Assists, please.

Also, Ravio has more of a chance as a Tink/Yink Echo than Hilda has a Zelda one. Like, does anyone even REMEMBER her?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
And that is your opinion. The opinion of many is the sentiment which makes you want to scream in the first place. That is how I feel when users try to justify how many Fire Emblem characters we have. I'm not gonna sit here and complain, but theres no qualifying reason that a franchise that nearly died has this much playability, with three characters from a single game, that are unlikely to appear again in a canon game.

To each her own.
Excuse me sir, but I daresay you aren't allowed to have a different opinion than me on this fine day.

MainJPW

M.T.A

Minute 9:10, player 4. That looks very black to me, rather than dark blue, but what do I know. It could still not mean Shadow's exclusion that's for sure.
The hell? That's black as ****. I thought it was dark blue.

Looks more of a grey/light grey color than black though
If it appears "light grey" anywhere that's just because of the light source on the render. It's clearly a shade of black, like Onyx.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If we are talking about Alts then I think Ken is extremely likely because Ryu lost his Ken alt.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Excuse me sir, but I daresay you aren't allowed to have a different opinion than me on this fine day.
I am stealing this quote to use on each and every malcontent who disagrees with me in daily life. A proper and elegant solution to peasants and their drivel.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It was called Pokemon Elections, and by 480, I mean it ranks as approximately the 480th most popular Pokemon out of the 720 options on the poll.

I'm getting the numbers from here. If this poll has any merit whatsoever, it seems as though if Sakurai needed to make an easy Gen 5 Pokemon for the sake of having a Gen 5 Pokemon, Emolga would be far more likely.
Emolga would not function super well as an Echo. Well, I suppose with the Chromification it could.

Either way, a light/dark dichotomy of Gardevoir and Gothitelle still seems a better inclusion.

Either way, Eevee is number ten, could have one of the most unique gimmicks of all Pokemon, represents EVOLUTION in Pokemon, and also promotes the new game.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I've always wanted to play as the Moon from Majoras Mask.

Spirit Mode may finally let me live this dream. Literally Mooning people.
Assist Trophies can unleash a playable character that instantly uses its weaker version of its final smash.

A weaker version already exists in a new mode, so it seems like a simple execution.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's just now occurred to me that Skull Kid would be an amazing pick. I had been indifferent for a while, but the mask is so iconic even to people who have never touched a Zelda title. He's one of the best picks for a new character to represent the Zelda series, by far.

D

Deleted member

Emolga would not function super well as an Echo. Well, I suppose with the Chromification it could.

Either way, a light/dark dichotomy of Gardevoir and Gothitelle still seems a better inclusion.

Either way, Eevee is number ten, could have one of the most unique gimmicks of all Pokemon, represents EVOLUTION in Pokemon, and also promotes the new game.
Is Eevee still a Pokeball? I'd love to have Eevee. I still highly doubt Gothitelle would be added.

If we are talking about Alts then I think Ken is extremely likely because Ryu lost his Ken alt.
Ryu never had a Ken alt lol. He had a Dan alt, which has been replaced with a purple one. Guess we're getting Dan.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why is this the first I'm hearing of this? Ken is literally in lol
Yeah it's a pretty clear sign that Ken is a character.

Wonder if he'll have his classic differences.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I love Skull Kid, I have a statue of him, but frankly he's never (or at least not for a long time) really been the same league popularity-wise as the other candidates that generally get thrown about these days. Should he make it in, I'm thinking part of his inclusion may be due to Sakurai realizing it's ridiculous that Zelda hasn't gotten an original moveset since 2001. That's my theory.
Right, but if it was all about just giving fans what they want, don't you think he'd go with the most popular attainable characters and then work his way down instead of choosing someone from the middle of the pack like Skull Kid? It's not like it's Geno and Isaac and Dee, and then one small step below them, Skull Kid; there was quite a disparity prior to the very recent.
I think it would be another situation like Final Fantasy; the demand for a Zelda newcomer was high in Smash 4 and bolstered farther once Smash 4 didn't have any, but there is no character well ahead of the pack among Zelda candidates so the support for them is heavily split, leading to individual Zelda characters having much smaller support bases. Like if you were to combine all the Zelda characters' votes together on the Ballot, the series overall probably was right up there among the top five, so Sakurai could have saw this demand for a Zelda newcomer and thus decided Ultimate will have a Zelda newcomer, where like when he decided Cloud for a Final Fantasy character, he is left to decide a character from the pool of popular Zelda candidates and pick the one he thinks is most popular and/or he likes most.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Holy ****.

I mixed the UMvC3 and the Smash Bros alts together in my mind.

Aw heck I'm dumb.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think it would be another situation like Final Fantasy; the demand for a Zelda newcomer was high in Smash 4 and bolstered farther once Smash 4 didn't have any, but there is no character well ahead of the pack among Zelda candidates so the support for them is heavily split, leading to individual Zelda characters having much smaller support bases. Like if you were to combine all the Zelda characters' votes together on the Ballot, the series overall probably was right up there among the top five, so Sakurai could have saw this demand for a Zelda newcomer and thus decided Ultimate will have a Zelda newcomer, where like when he decided Cloud for a Final Fantasy character, he is left to decide a character from the pool of popular Zelda candidates and pick the one he thinks is most popular and/or he likes most.
Ehhhhhhh I don't like that comparison. Cloud is clearly Square's poster boy. Like, it's so obvious Cloud would be the first Final Fantasy character. Granted that was a meme back in the day for this community iirc but he's the most iconic of em

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

As I found out from a post by B Bolshoi here in the General Discussion, the online service's details have been released. $20 for one year, on one account specifically, isn't so bad at all, to be honest.
I used to pay 15$ per month to Blizzard for playing World of Warcraft… paying 20 a year for Nintendo in general seems more than fair enough to me, lol

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I still wanna really know what the scale of Skull Kid's popularity in Brawl was.

I know Skull Kid's popularity in Smash 4 would be enough for Sakurai to consider the character, but still, I would like to get further clarification from people who know of Brawl's biggest support bases just so I know that I have the right information. :/

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I solved it boi's and gyrls.

- In Spirit Mode you have to free characters from their trophies.
- Tabuu is at it again. But this time he turns characters into assist trophies in order to utilize them in battle.
- Character assist trophies use their final smash.
- Skull Kid is in and his final Smash is the moon.
- Tabuu is playable after you beat him.

Solved.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I solved it boi's and gyrls.

- In Spirit Mode you have to free characters from their trophies.
- Tabuu is at it again. But this time he turns characters into assist trophies in order to utilize them in battle.
- Character assist trophies use their final smash.
- Skull Kid is in and his final Smash is the moon.
- Tabuu is playable after you beat him.

Solved.
Unpopular opinion, but I'd be totally down for a playable Tabuu.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Theres over 900 Pokemon characters that could be added; love and hate being closer than indifference, I don't see how this argument accounts for anything.
How did you draw the conclusion that Japan is indifferent to Gothitelle from my statement? That's not what I said.

D

Deleted member

Clearly goes to show how much attention I pay to these things...
Still, Ken is literally the most obvious Echo, I'd be surprised if he isn't in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know about the botted results, but it was still taken into account by Sakurai for Smash 4 project plan anyway.
Frankly I'm doubtful Sakurai pays close attention to any polls sent his way, given he must be inundated with so many. At the least, I doubt any single unofficial one sways his opinion to any great extent. But it's possible, though it's certainly not recent at this point.

That is weird about you mentioning Brawl popularity, has it been a misconception the whole time? Whenever people mention Brawl speculation, I commonly see Skull Kid and Geno paired in terms of "king of popularity", surpassing Midna in requests when it is discussed.
It's definitely at odds with what I remember. In fact I totally forgot before than even Vaati was part of the whole Zelda split back then. I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but it doesn't sound accurate to me. Skull Kid had popularity, but it was never uncontested.

I thought it was Return to Dreamland that made him popular?
It was. Reappearing in a remake's minigame wouldn't be enough to make him a popular pick. Until RtD, Prince Fluff was the character you'd see most often as the fourth Kirby character.

I kinda melded in Dee when N3ON was talking about very popular characters like "Geno and Isaac and Dee", and I naturally thought about Brawl's popular characters since that was the time support was crazy. I mentioned Dee in that group of popular Brawl characters without realizing it. That is a mistake on my part. :p
Yeah, on my part I wasn't referring to the Brawl era. I was talking about now and since the ballot.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

As I found out from a post by B Bolshoi here in the General Discussion, the online service's details have been released. $20 for one year, on one account specifically, isn't so bad at all, to be honest.
Didn't they reveal the pricing a long time ago? I'm baffled people are already acting like Nintendo's new online service is going to be a huge scam when it's so darn cheap. I don't have high expectations for it either and their "voice chat" system is laughably bad but I expect you're going to at least get what you play for from it.

20 dollars is nothing. I say as I continue to teeter on the edge of paying for Smashbaords Premium but continue to refuse to because I'm too stingy.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That sounds totally plausible.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Ehhhhhhh I don't like that comparison. Cloud is clearly Square's poster boy. Like, it's so obvious Cloud would be the first Final Fantasy character. Granted that was a meme back in the day for this community iirc but he's the most iconic of em
The reason the spot was made for Cloud in Smash in the first place was because demand for a Final Fantasy character was high and thus lead to Sakurai wanting to get a Final Fantasy character to fulfill that demand, not because Cloud had high demand himself (though that was largely influenced by his perceived impossibility), with Cloud then being chosen because of his popularity/iconicness over other possible Final Fantasy candidates.

So assuming Skull Kid is in, it will work similarly, as in Skull Kid himself didn't have exceptional demand, but the demand for a Zelda newcomer was exceptional, whereas Skull Kid is then viewed by Sakurai as the best/most popular pick out of the pool of candidates to fulfill the Zelda newcomer slot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom