• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Optimistic K. Rool will at least be mid-tier. Super heavy with a counter is pretty bonkers.
My only concern for K. Rool is his two projectile specials. I'll have to see to them in a match before I can give my final verdict, but I feel like they won't be very effective.

Or maybe it's just because I'm a Rosalina main and K. Rool is likely going to be heavyweight. If Gravitational Pull allows her to catch the crown midair like it does with items, I can see Rosa giving him a really hard time.

I found somebody who made this joke tier list on Reddit. How would react to see your main or any character where they are?

I don't want see Link that low, or Toon Link, Mega Man, Fox, Mewtwo, Greninja, Wolf, and about any character I care about.
Ridley is low tier and K. Rool is bottom tier? It's like this person was trying to upset people.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I didn't grow up playing a lot of Castlevania games (only played one obscure cell phone port), but being able to fight as Link in Dracula's Castle (with probably the best video game tracks in a Smash game) and fighting Dracula as a boss not only makes me want to start playing Castlevania games, but makes me wish for a Legend of Zelda X Castlevania crossover. Man, where am I even gonna start with the Castlevania games, though...

For DLC characters, throw in Sora from Kingdom Hearts so that we not only get another Square Enix rep, but more music as well. Cloud only brought two tracks from Final Fantasy with him, so hopefully we get more music from Square this time around.
I've personally always wanted to see a Metroid X Castlevania crossover, complete with a Death/Ridley amalgamation and holy beam/suit for Samus. Thinking about it now though, Link using the Alucard Shield (and/or the Shield Rod) would be pretty sick.

As for where to start, I guess it depends on if you want to start with the classics or play the later metroidvania ones. They're both really good in their own right and you should play both. Can't go wrong with the first one, III, and Rondo of Blood are considered the better ones (there's an SNES remake of Rondo called Dracula X, don't bother with it). For Super Castlevania IV you'll hear different things depending on who you ask, since some find the whip mechanics to make the game too easy, but even then the classics are still more of a challenge than the later games.

The first of the metroidvanias (unless you want to count Simon's Quest, I don't really) is Symphony of the Night, and it's probably best to start there. It's the only metroidvania to be released on a console, so it has a bit more detail, as well as one of the larger castle maps. The metroidvania games can get pretty broken if you know what you're doing, and this game is the most notorious for it. So in that regard you should play it before the GBA/DS games, otherwise it'll be a cakewalk by the time you get to it. The Sorrow games are really great, and Portrait of Ruin gives you a lot of modes for replay value. Order of Ecclesia is also fantastic, since it brings some much needed difficulty to the metroidvania titles. I wouldn't bother with the 3D games, since they're mostly of middling quality.

If you have a PSP you can get Dracula X Chronicles, which is a remake of Rondo of Blood (along with having the original too). SotN is also unlockable, so you get the best of both worlds.

Sorry if this is too off-topic btw, I just noticed throughout the thread a lot of people were unfamiliar with the series. I was finding it baffling that people didn't think Simon was going to be in the game, and then I realized there hadn't been a notable game (asides from the Lord of Shadows games) since OoE, which came out 10 years ago.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Damn that must be a sick Ice Climber reboot 17 years in the making. :popo:
You joke about that, but I be excited to see a "Uprising" kind of game for Ice Climber.

I feel like you could do alot if you were to expand the concept of reaching the top of a mountain with a ally to help you face different obstacles.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
My only concern for K. Rool is his two projectile specials. I'll have to see to them in a match before I can give my final verdict, but I feel like they won't be very effective.

Or maybe it's just because I'm a Rosalina main and K. Rool is likely going to be heavyweight. If Gravitational Pull allows her to catch the crown midair like it does with items, I can see Rosa giving him a really hard time.
The blunderbuss could be interesting, we haven't seen a ton of it. Crown looks pretty useless, lol.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Considering the amount of modern fanservice in Smash 4, I feel like some older fanservice in Ultimate is justified. Obviously there needs to be some balance though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not going to support Waluigi until he gets into a real Mario game

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Now for a new discussion topic, for the inevitable confirmation of Shadow, do you prefer his reveal trailer theme to be this one?

Or this one?

I Am All Of Me, because Shadow's moveset has him have guns and all of his moves are OHKOs. This is symbolic of Sakurai's anti realistic gun viewpoint as everyone will condemn Shadow mains while the competitive scene bans him

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You joke about that, but I be excited to see a "Uprising" kind of game for Ice Climber.

I feel like you could do alot if you were to expand the concept of reaching the top of a mountain with a ally to help you face different obstacles.
I'm surprised there isn't a studio that doesn't redo old classic NES games. Obviously not to such a AAA standard such as Mario, but like a 10 buck e-Shop exclusive that expands heavily upon it. I wanna see Mach Rider get rebooted, because I think it had a cool concept a little too early at the time.

I'm not going to support Waluigi until he gets into a real Mario game
TFW you're considered a real Mario character even though you only show up for 10 seconds :ultdaisy:

no seriously that doesn't make a lot of sense, the idea of waluigi isn't because he's big, the idea is to be the spinoff-themed character. it's kind of the point that he doesn't have his own game.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
All Hail Shadow works better and it's not so try hard edgy. The less I'm reminded of his spin-off when he's announced for Smash the better.

I actually dislike Wario's moveset. Nothing really speaks WarioWare nor Wario Land. the guy doesnt even use his bike anymore in warioware
Indeed.

I think he still have the bike in Mario Kart though... but i'm not sure (didn't play the last one). Maybe you'll be glad to know that they changed his dash attack for his iconic one from Wario Land:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm surprised there isn't a studio that doesn't redo old classic NES games. Obviously not to such a AAA standard such as Mario, but like a 10 buck e-Shop exclusive that expands heavily upon it. I wanna see Mach Rider get rebooted, because I think it had a cool concept a little too early at the time.

TFW you're considered a real Mario character even though you only show up for 10 seconds :ultdaisy:

no seriously that doesn't make a lot of sense, the idea of waluigi isn't because he's big, the idea is to be the spinoff-themed character. it's kind of the point that he doesn't have his own game.
Maybe that's why his supporters support him, but I'm not a supporter of Waluigi

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
All Hail Shadow works better and it's not so try hard edgy. The less I'm reminded of his spin-off when he's announced for Smash the better.
I mean, I'd be down for Rhythm and Balance for Shadow's reveal trailer

Actually I just want that song in the tracklist

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

I found somebody who made this joke tier list on Reddit. How would react to see your main or any character where they are?

I don't want see Link that low, or Toon Link, Mega Man, Fox, Mewtwo, Greninja, Wolf, and about any character I care about.
As someone who is planning on maining Mewtwo, Wolf and Ridley and a supporter of K. Rool, this really grinds my gears.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe that's why his supporters support him, but I'm not a supporter of Waluigi
That's cool, but not having a game is still the point of Waluigi that I support him. :upsidedown:

Those lyrics sound pretty edgy, dog.

As someone who is planning on maining Mewtwo, Wolf and Ridley and a supporter of K. Rool, this really grinds my gears.
Main anyone no matter how low they are on the tier list.
Kick the top tiers asses too. You have no idea how many Clouds I've killed using airfighter Mac

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On the other hand, it'd mean all three of his pokemon would be super heavies and would make his gimmick far less interesting. I also feel like running and jumping around as Venusaur would be a tad bit awkward compared to Ivysaur.

I feel like the way Pokemon Trainer was handled is the best way they could have done it.
I mean, for what it's worth, LGPE shows that Venusaur is a decent jumper. :p

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
On the other hand, it'd mean all three of his pokemon would be super heavies and would make his gimmick far less interesting. I also feel like running and jumping around as Venusaur would be a tad bit awkward compared to Ivysaur.

I feel like the way Pokemon Trainer was handled is the best way they could have done it.
Pft, who says we gotta reduce their speed? I want to see a 60 mph turtle tank flying at you with death in its eyes.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Indeed.

I think he still have the bike in Mario Kart though... but i'm not sure (didn't play the last one). Maybe you'll be glad to know that they changed his dash attack for his iconic one from Wario Land:
The Wario Bike is in Mario Kart Wii.

So, I guess you could say it represent Mario Kart in some way on top of WarioWare?

Pakky

Smash Hero

...I've made stuff, a lot of stuff, this project has improved me more than I thought it would.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Maybe I’m wrong. And I hope I am because I genuinely like her. But the original Xenoblade is not hard to beat. Nobody even knew who Shulk was when he was revealed. I thought she would be put in before Wednesday due to her relevancy, but with King K. Rool and Simon’s inclusion, relevancy doesn’t matter. The only thing I see going for her is her moveset potential.
I don’t think you should quickly changed your opinions on Elma that quickly.

Most newcomers have different reason for why they get in. Sure King K. Rool and Simon were revealed and they weren’t relevant, but they had their own reason for why they’re in.

We still have 4 more months to go and there is still a lot we don’t know about yet even after the two information blow outs. Elma still isn’t dead yet, as the reason and points for her inclusion are very strong even with what we have been shown.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Pft, who says we gotta reduce their speed? I want to see a 60 mph turtle tank flying at you with death in its eyes.
The same could be said about K. Rool. They have similar runs that just emit raw energy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Incidentally, some folks made their own idea of a Ice Climber reboot using Unity.

Indeed.

We got the Shoulder Bash back so he at least knows
Plus he still has his throw from Wario World, but eh his gameplay features keep changing in his games anyway. I'm more bothered about his character amount still being "Me! Me! Meeeeee! Wa-Ri-O!", especially since Ashley fans are let down yet again.

Unless he keeps actively rigging the official polls so no one steals his spotlight.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Now for a new discussion topic, for the inevitable confirmation of Shadow, do you prefer his reveal trailer theme to be this one?

Or this one?

I could see either one working, but All Hail Shadow would probably be more fitting. To be honest, I kinda want Radical Highway as his trailer theme. (Or at least play on his showcase video on the website.)

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I don’t think you should quickly changed your opinions on Elma that quickly.

Most newcomers have different reason for why they get in. Sure King K. Rool and Simon were revealed and they weren’t relevant, but they had their own reason for why they’re in.

We still have 4 more months to go and there is still a lot we don’t know about yet even after the two information blow outs. Elma still isn’t dead yet, as the reason and points for her inclusion are very strong even with what we have been shown.
To me it depends on how many newcomers we have left, and that’s hard to predict since Sakurai said we wouldn’t get too many more but ended up with 5 in one direct with 4 more months left to go. If we have 4 more than no. 8 more than sure. I don’t think Elma is worth prioritizing over fan favorites. I hope she makes it. Good luck.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm super late. Sorry, was travelling, will be around here and there
Does anyone have access to any Pre-Brawl polls? Particularly those from the official Nintendo forums when those were a thing?

Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa ? @vaanrose? Anyone?

Nevermind I found them with the power of Google.

View attachment 157038

This is what the final roster would look like if that leak is real. Throwing Heihachi in as the Namco rep because, c'mon, it's ****ing Heihachi.

It looks odd.
honestly

It's not the craziest roster but I'm starting to think the Roy/Chrom thing was a stupidly lucky guess. At this point, at least one of our 'plausible leaks' (the codes, this guy, loz18, vergeben) has to be false purely by contradictions. At this point, it may be interesting to just create a DM group analyzing anything that's super plausible (especially so we don't clutter up the thread or posts getting lost in the thread)

Now if we got Richter and Chrom(Roy), it'd be a different story.

I'll maybe write up a post about stages soon. I don't know; I've been thinking a lot lately about what to expect out of the final roster. I think the biggest statement I have is that we've all been looking in some of the wrong places, myself included. In a lot of respects, I think we're on the right track.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
raises hand

Maybe Elma wouldn’t need the ballot? X was already out in Japan by the time the ballot was out. And yes I know X wasn’t as popular in Japan as it was in the West, but if that’s the case, Sakurai could have picked Elma on his own volition, not due to fan outcry.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Not sure how relevant this is, or if this has already been discussed, but did you guys notice how the new artwork (that shows all the playable characters in one picture at the end of the direct) with the newly introduced characters is a different picture from the E3 artwork? The E3 picture doesn't have the open spaces like the August Direct picture does. I got this info from this video by Alex.EXE https://youtu.be/OGKSw6YnjOs?t=458

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I bet barely anybody here remembers Stantler.
Yeah, I know him... All too well. He's the less popular sibling/cousin of Sawsbuck, at least Sawsbuck was cool unlike Stantler.

Sorry, I'm bit bitter with Stantler, considering he's who I lost too in the Grand Finals, of the Prime Cup in Pokémon Stadium 2. Stantler used one of my favorite moves, Return and ended my Pokémon team and my winning streak:(

Lucario? IN C BRACKET?! They dare, how dare they?!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
re: elma and characters similar

I don't think we're that far off in assuming that everything is popular choice. Basically every single character on the roster has some love and the only really "Relevant" (which i'm defining as "since the last Smash game") character on there is the Inklings. That said, Elma's really a coin toss at this point. The other thing about Elma's inclusion, but more-so, new franchises, is also the stage list. I'm sure it's been debated to death here though so I won't re-tread over the same stuff.

There was all the discussion on Cross that I missed, which I agree with, but as someone who was around to witness many similar debates and people dismissing options, I wouldn't count him (don't know enough about other X characters to comment on them) out of the running just yet. I'd just say "Xenoblade X character" to save us some time, but, I interpret Elma as a vote for "Xenoblade X character" anyways.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Or this one?

All Hail Shadow works better. It's Shadow's theme song. Though I won't be surprised if Sakurai goes for a tune from Sonic Adventure 2 like his 2nd boss theme.

Since newcomer renders can be references to their games, I think Shadow is gonna have his pose from the SA2 boxart.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shadow won't get a trailer. He's an Echo.
Unless Tails somehow gets in as well and shares a trailer with him (which would be sick)

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Indeed.

As a Wario Land fan, I'm really happy they brought the shoulder bash back.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I don't think we're that far off in assuming that everything is popular choice. Basically every single character on the roster has some love and the only really "Relevant" (which i'm defining as "since the last Smash game") character on there is the Inklings.
Just to add on to this, Inklins also killed it on the ballot. So they're relevant but the ballot also played a factor with them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not sure how relevant this is, or if this has already been discussed, but did you guys notice how the new artwork (that shows all the playable characters in one picture at the end of the direct) with the newly introduced characters is a different picture from the E3 artwork? The E3 picture doesn't have the open spaces like the August Direct picture does. I got this info from this video by Alex.EXE https://youtu.be/OGKSw6YnjOs?t=458
Yeah we pretty much assumed the "open space" theory is near useless because they just create new space instead of using space that already exists.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

Link being in the same tier as Toon Link and Zelda... No. Just no.
Also, Bayonetta is still way too high up there. Should be F tier, smh.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I was talking about Chrom recently offsite. He doesn't use any of Ike's moves, at least not Aether. It's a modification more of how he grips the sword like Roy. His Up Tilt is that of Marth. Now consider the fact that Roy was first cloned from Marth. This means that the only reason Chrom has more unique moves is because he copied them from a character that was already severely similar. That also means Echoes getting new moves in general is probably still limited(Final Smash being an exception). Animations, especially idle, are clearly changed to fit the character more. Dark Pit could have a few small changes before the final game, to better fit his personality, though I'm not counting on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom