• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

I found somebody who made this joke tier list on Reddit. How would react to see your main or any character where they are?

I don't want see Link that low, or Toon Link, Mega Man, Fox, Mewtwo, Greninja, Wolf, and about any character I care about.
Pichu being 2 spots below Bayonetta is hilarious.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I found somebody who made this joke tier list on Reddit. How would react to see your main or any character where they are?

I don't want see Link that low, or Toon Link, Mega Man, Fox, Mewtwo, Greninja, Wolf, and about any character I care about.
Zinith Zinith , you are going to have a ball tearing this to shreds!

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm good with this game being more "old fan" fanservice, but I still hope we still get some "new" character from the Wii U-Switch era and some "obscure" character from the past.

It's always so interesting to me to see Sakurai & his team remaking old forgetten character from the past and remaking them in a way that give a idea as to how they would look if their franchise became popular and still running or just how they would look in our time. :ulticeclimbers:,:ultpit: & :ultduckhunt: being good exemples among others, like, you can't imagine how excited I would like to see Mach Rider remade in Ultimate.

And you know, more recent character is good for new fan of Nintendo who are still young, the old fan aren't the only one that count here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I find it hilarious. Only because me and my friends beleive that Bowser Jr. is gonna end up being the worst.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Sad for Ridley, and most of my other potential mains would also be sulking in mediocrity, but man if I wouldn't be happy to finally see Puff be good again.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

S Tier Little Mac, A Tier Marth and Chrom, and B Tier Mario and Pac-Man? Wonderful stuff. Olimar, Greninja, R.O.B., Mewtwo, and Ice Climbers being that close to the bottom would be kinda saddening though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
S Tier Little Mac, A Tier Marth and Chrom, and B Tier Mario and Pac-Man? Wonderful stuff. Olimar, Greninja, R.O.B., Mewtwo, and Ice Climbers being that close to the bottom would be kinda saddening though.
Mewtwo seemed pretty decent in the demo from what I've heard. But it is just a demo after all.

The only bad thing about an S Tier Mac is that he's gonna get nerfed

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
It's be funny if Isabelle isn't actually a character but gets the first DLC slot from people talking about her so much
Hold it right there, top dog get's the DLC slot and that goes to Amaterasu, Isabelle can be second. XD
So what sort of games/characters would you like to see? I'm curious. Who did you vote for on the ballot
I voted for Lyn, Krystal, Shantae, Sora, and Amaterasu. Not only were they my favorites, but all of them would've brought something fun and unique to the Smash table.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wish Red used all 3 final evolutions. Squirtle and Ivysaur aren't es cool as their final forms.
On the other hand, it'd mean all three of his pokemon would be super heavies and would make his gimmick far less interesting. I also feel like running and jumping around as Venusaur would be a tad bit awkward compared to Ivysaur.

I feel like the way Pokemon Trainer was handled is the best way they could have done it.

D

Deleted member

Man, hating most of the popular communtiy picks is really weird, especially since I used to advocate for K. Rool and Ridley for their fans.

StormC

Smash Hero
Simon seems like he's going to have it tough with his slow animations. But obviously we still don't know much and it's all in development.

Optimistic K. Rool will at least be mid-tier. Super heavy with a counter is pretty bonkers.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I forgot to mention, this was an interesting prediction (obviously a joke) on what the tier list would look like after EVO 2020.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I guess Pit and Dark Pit being on opposite ends is supposed to be a joke but I find the whole joke list lame

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I’d have to disagree heavily on this.

Do you think EVERY single newcomer is going to be a fan favorite? I doubt it.

The thing with Elma being likely is that not only did her game came out at the right time of being for Sakurai to consider, plus she has a vastly different play style to anyone on the Smash roster and even the characters that people are throwing out to be fan picks. Not every fighter is going to be a fan favorite. Sure, a majority may be, but there is bound to be one character that not many have asked for, but is chosen to represent something or have a vastly unique moveset. Elma is one of them. And I don’t think anyone is going to bicker about her inclusion when you have the abundance of fan favorites already chosen and revealed. After they showed off Simon and King K. Rool, despite being expected before, everyone switch to the extreme opposite already.

And what are you saying that Elma’s support has fallen? It’s still going strong. There’s even been an increase of support and activity that surrounds Elma.
I’m saying Elma support has only gotten strong recently because everyone assumes that she would be the Xenoblade rep because Rex mad Pyra weren’t around for when Sakurai chose the roster. When the Ballot happened her game wasn’t even out yet. Now we know that the majority of the newcomers are fan favorites. And to be honest Xenoblade X isn’t that popular. Maybe among Nintendo fans, but to the general public she’s not very recognizable. Isaac gets a pass because fans have consistently wanted him since the Brawl days.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Let me dream.

So what sort of games/characters would you like to see? I'm curious. Who did you vote for on the ballot?
I voted for Simon Belmont and Rayman. Should have voted for Crash Bandicoot too.

Hope the other two get their chance ;) (would be perfect DLC characters, don't think we'll see much more third parties in the base game)

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Pichu being 2 spots below Bayonetta is hilarious.
I don't care if all five of my mains (Toon Link, DDD, Dr. Mario, Zelda, and Lucina) were trash tier; If Pichu was higher on the tier list than Bayo, this would be the best Smash game ever in my eyes.

Untouch

Smash Master

Interested in the arbitrary placement of DK at the top, higher than ****ing diddy.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Hard Lock: Isabelle
Most Wanted 1st Party: Isabelle
Most Wanted 3rd Party: Geno (if that counts as third party)
Will get their chance another day: Ashley
Most Wanted Boss: Eggman
Most Wanted Assist Trophy: Not Isabelle
Most Wanted Pokeball: Zeraora
Most Wanted Stage: Sector Z

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
On the topic of people clamoring for Echoes, I think people are being too reductionist when they claim it's from people falling for fancy marketing rebranding, I think the reasons why Echoes are being received much more positively than the clones in the past are:

1: People are much more knowledgeable nowadays about the reality of clone development, very few people are still thinking such characters are "stealing slots" from unique characters, and with the term Echoes and how their reveals are being handled, it's being farther enforced these characters are not "taking slots" from fan favorites and are simply bonuses.

2: Additionally Echoes are being revealed for what they are in an upfront manner unlike clones in the past games, preventing people from getting letdown when they're expecting a big unique newcomer and then being greeted with a clone. I think one of the main reasons Lucina wasn't received badly in Smash 4 was because she was straightup revealed alongside Robin as a clone, if Dark Pit was straightup revealed in Palutena's trailer like this and not kept secret until release I imagine the disdain for him would have been a bit less (he would still be massively unpopular, but at least he would be more accepted).

3: Most people realize this is the only way many characters they like can get into the roster in a playable capacity. The likes of Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus, as well as most of the popular Echo candidates, have no realistic chance of making it into the roster as a full-fledged newcomer in the foreseeable future, so the majority of fans of such characters will take this opportunity over never having them in Smash at all.

The great thing about Ultimate for me is that since basically everything I love is there already, I don't need to fear a reboot. I just straight up wouldn't buy a game with a severely downsized roster when I could just continue playing Ultimate. Why opt for a downgrade?
This is the reason why I think people are really getting ahead of themselves in assuming the next Smash game is going to have to be a reboot that slashes a huge portion of the roster. It's going to be really hard to sell a new Smash game to the masses with half the content or less, unless there's really revolutionary huge changes to the gameplay that people will actually like (which I highly doubt can be done) or there's a massive amount of newcomers that are just that popular that people will give up 30+ characters and all the other cut content to play as them (which isn't going to happen anytime soon). Regardless I think it's way too soon to be talking about the next Smash game when Ultimate isn't even released yet.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Interested in the arbitrary placement of DK at the top, higher than ****ing diddy.
Oh, this wasn't too serious, but I'm not going to lie, I don't think I want to ses DK break the streak of being below Diddy Kong until the three-time achievement is reached.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’m saying Elma support has only gotten strong recently because everyone assumes that she would be the Xenoblade rep because Rex mad Pyra weren’t around for when Sakurai chose the roster. When the Ballot happened her game wasn’t even out yet. Now we know that the majority of the newcomers are fan favorites. And to be honest Xenoblade X isn’t that popular. Maybe among Nintendo fans, but to the general public she’s not very recognizable. Isaac gets a pass because fans have consistently wanted him since the Brawl days.
If what general public recognises would be prioritised over what Nintendo fans want, we'd get Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer in this game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So what sort of games/characters would you like to see? I'm curious. Who did you vote for on the ballot?
Oh, I voted for all sorts of random characters I have trouble remembering, let alone keeping track of. :p I did remember supporting Tiny and Master Higgins though.

I'm good with this game being more "old fan" fanservice, but I still hope we still get some "new" character from the Wii U-Switch era and some "obscure" character from the past.

It's always so interesting to me to see Sakurai & his team remaking old forgetten character from the past and remaking them in a way that give a idea as to how they would look if their franchise became popular and still running or just how they would look in our time. :ulticeclimbers:,:ultpit: & :ultduckhunt: being good exemples among others, like, you can't imagine how excited I would like to see Mach Rider remade in Ultimate.

And you know, more recent character is good for new fan of Nintendo who are still young, the old fan aren't the only one that count here.
Didn't Sakurai even chart out how Pit might have looked if he kept getting games in-between M&M and Uprising?

Wario farting his way to top tier ! Watch out world class top players cuz Wario is coming to bite your arses (or not):

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
If what general public recognises would be prioritised over what Nintendo fans want, we'd get Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer in this game.
I’m trying to say that she doesn’t even have recognizability one her side. Under all of the arguments for her not being included, all I’m saying that other characters that have been requested for years are probably going to be prioritized over a new character whose support has only surged in recent months.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh, I voted for all sorts of random characters I have trouble remembering, let alone keeping track of. :p I did remember supporting Tiny and Master Higgins though.

Didn't Sakurai even chart out how Pit might have looked if he kept getting games in-between M&M and Uprising?
Exactly, Pit in Brawl was basically how Sakurai saw Pit if Kid Icarus was as a long running franchise like Zelda.

That worked so well in Pit regard that Sakurai made Uprising to expand on the idea, that tell you how Smash can revive certain franchises that were just forgotten by everyone but the most hardcore Nintendo fan, and that's beautiful imo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wario farting his way to top tier ! Watch out world class top players cuz Wario is coming to bite your arses (or not):

I actually dislike Wario's moveset. Nothing really speaks WarioWare nor Wario Land. the guy doesnt even use his bike anymore in warioware

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Not going to lie, the worst part about the tier list for me is the images used. The zoom-in on every character is so inconsistent from character to character.

It bugs me greatly.

StormC

Smash Hero
I actually dislike Wario's moveset. Nothing really speaks WarioWare nor Wario Land. the guy doesnt even use his bike anymore in warioware
Speaking as a fan of both Donkey Kong and Wario Land... at least Sakurai knows DKC exists.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Okay.

Though Xenoblade X came out way too late for the ballot, unfortunately.

But I’m honestly betting she is one of the exceptions for this game. She just has a very vastly different moveset and potential for uniqueness along with a stage from the many vast levels in X that I think Sakurai might be interested in working with. X was one of the big Wii U games that Nintendo was pushing hard and did better than the first Xenoblade (until 2 came along but this is before anyone even knew about it).

That’s why I’m betting on Elma. I do think the majority of characters are going to be from the ballot. But I think a Gen 7 Pokémon and Elma are going to be the couple of outliers or “recent” characters for this game. And maybe some weird offshoot as well if Sakurai wants to.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Exactly, Pit in Brawl was basically how Sakurai saw Pit if Kid Icarus was as a long running franchise like Zelda.

That worked so well in Pit regard that Sakurai made Uprising to expand on the idea, that tell you how Smash can revive certain franchises that were just forgotten by everyone but the most hardcore Nintendo fan, and that's beautiful imo.
Damn that must be a sick Ice Climber reboot 17 years in the making. :popo:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Not going to lie, the worst part about the tier list for me is the images used. The zoom-in on every character is so inconsistent from character to character.

It bugs me greatly.
I honestly have the same problem with SSB4 too, but I don't know what images would really work for usage.

D

Deleted member

Now for a new discussion topic, for the inevitable confirmation of Shadow, do you prefer his reveal trailer theme to be this one?

Or this one?

D

Deleted member

New thread game? Sure, why not:

Hard Lock: Isabelle & Shadow. They're both pretty even in terms of possibility to me.
Most wanted 1st party: Octolings
Most wanted 3rd party: Shantae (Would've been Shovel Knight, but well...y'know... :( )
Get their chance another day: Waluigi (IMO, he's gonna end up being Smash's new Ridley in terms of popularity, requests, and memes. He already is in the meme department, lol)
Most wanted boss: Stone Talus from BotW
Most wanted assist trophy: Blaze the Cat
Most wanted Pokeball Pokemon: Primarina
Most wanted stage: I got Fourside and Fountain of Dreams back, so I'm already good on that front.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Okay.

Though Xenoblade X came out way too late for the ballot, unfortunately.

But I’m honestly betting she is one of the exceptions for this game. She just has a very vastly different moveset and potential for uniqueness along with a stage from the many vast levels in X that I think Sakurai might be interested in working with. X was one of the big Wii U games that Nintendo was pushing hard and did better than the first Xenoblade (until 2 came along but this is before anyone even knew about it).

That’s why I’m betting on Elma. I do think there will be a majority from the ballot. But I think a Gen 7 Pokémon and Elma are going to be the couple of outliers or “recent” characters for this game.
Maybe I’m wrong. And I hope I am because I genuinely like her. But the original Xenoblade is not hard to beat. Nobody even knew who Shulk was when he was revealed. I thought she would be put in before Wednesday due to her relevancy, but with King K. Rool and Simon’s inclusion, relevancy doesn’t matter. The only thing I see going for her is her moveset potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom