• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Same here. The big reason I want DLC is because I'm pretty much convinced at this point that DLC is the only shot Octolings have at making it in, so fingers crossed!
Octolings are cool. It'd a shame if they got shafted because people started to want them recently, considering how big of a success Splatoon was.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Sakurai has a really good trait of attentiveness. Just look at this reference to Melee!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone posted this.

If you orginize characters by series ON THE SMASH SITE and go to Mr Game and Watch

You get this

Poor stock placement

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I suppose I'll also play this game:
Hard Lock: Geno or Bandana Dee (well, they're the characters with best chances at this point)
Most wanted 1st party: Lycanroc
Most wanted 3rd party: Eight
Get their chance another day: Takamaru
Most wanted boss: Medeus
Most wanted assist trophy: Mega Man X
Most wanted Pokeball Pokemon: Chesnaught
Most wanted stage: Castle Trodain

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, please don't be Decidueye. All those people that jumped on board because Pokken made him relevant in a fighter game need to learn the hard way that Sakurai isn't basic.
I didn't jump on board because of Pokken.
I jumped on board because I want my third favorite Pokemon in Smash.
I'm going to be crazy and make a suggestion for a gen 7 Pokemon rep.

Rowlet

After all, Squirtle is playable....why would Rowlet be different? Isn't Rowlet very popular in Japan? (and worldwide he's probably the most popular starter)

I think we could be sleeping on Rowlet.
Squirtle's moveset was really half-assed. I'm not even joking, just watch RelaxAlax's know your moves and you'll know what I mean. He was added purely because of a gimmick and his moveset was really basic as a result.
Seeing as Pokemon newcomers were probably just concept art at the time, Rowlet would've probably been even harder to implement, so if Rowlet was on Sakurai's mind he probably opted for Decidueye.
Also WHY are we using the popularity argument at this point?

D

Deleted member

Does anyobody can think of any other Echo Fighters outside of the obvious ones?

I mean i guess Ken isn't talked as much, but he is pretty damn obvious and easy to do, just put Fire in his Shoryuken and Tatsumaki, and give him his own Final Smashes. Since he is an echo of Ryu, i guess him having 2 FS would be apporpiate. Shippu Jinrai Kyaku and Shinryuken come to mind.

Not to mention his theme song!

.............wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Goemon. Come on konami. Give him the ressurection he deserves. All his games are fun , even the weird future one and the series ps2 one. He is snes and n64 staple. He also had two of the best games on the n64.

Dlc.
Dlc.
Dlc.

Make it happen .

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

Sakurai has a really good trait of attentiveness. Just look at this reference to Melee!
Just noticed that ROB has the NES colors on the US banner and the Famicom colors on the JP banner. I guess that's to be expected but damn.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Why do you think there won't be a new Pokemon? I'm not saying there has to be one every game cuz' that's just not true, but there's nothing suggesting we won't get one either. I always look forward to the new Pokemon and i'd be bummed if we didn't get one. I know this is just your prediction i'm just genuinely curious.
It's really a gut feeling. So far it hasn't been wrong. If I could put it into words then I'd say there's not a "stand-out" character like Greninja was. I'd say that Decidueye or Buzzwole were the closest thing but I honestly don't think Sakurai is going to pick either of them. On top of that Sun and Moon were released in 2016 after the concept of Ultimate was finished. You could say he might have pulled a Greninja and just looked at the concepts and decided but like I said I think he would've chosen Decidueye if that were the case, plus, at the same time he was having to negotiate with Square, Sega, Konami, Capcom, and Namco. I don't think he had the time to sift through Game Freak concepts like he did in Wii U. People bring up Greninja when it comes to the Gen 7 character making it in but I don't think people realize that Greninja was an exception, not a rule. However, I 100% expect a Pokemon in DLC.
I don't know why Rex would be DLC. There's been concept art for him as early as 2015.
A concept is a concept. It's not enough to make a full character out off for most characters. Like I said above Greninja is an exception. Not a rule.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Young Link's classic mode

Stage 1: Dreams in the forest
1 vs 1 Pokémon trainer - Green greens

The idea being here that the Pokémon represent the 3 elemental stones Young Link must collect.

Stage 2: Lost woods
1 vs 1 Wolf - Distant planet
Wolf will have bunny hood physics.
Stamina mode.

Stage 3: Passing the guards
1 vs 4 Marth, Chrom, Lucina, Ike - Hyrule temple morphs into Hyrule castle.
Time match with the goal to survive till the end. The "guards" will not engage untill within close proximity, and will slowly walk through parts of the stage. At 1 min remaining, the stage will morph from Hyrule temple to Hyrule castle, likely causing chaos.

Stage 4: Dodongo's cavern
1 vs 1 Giant battle Ridley - Brinstar depths

Stage 5: Protecting the water princess
2 (You and Greninja) vs 10 Inklings - Great Bay
If Greninja dies, you lose.

Stage 6: Temple of time
1 vs 1 Metal Link - Kalos Pokémon league (alpha version) stage morphs into Final destination (alpha version)

Sorry for the Majora's mask fans, but I unfortunately never played it, so I stuck to the Oot plot.

D

Deleted member

Octolings are cool. It'd a shame if they got shafted because people started to want them recently, considering how big of a success Splatoon was.
Totally! Octo Expansion got a ton of positive reactions out of critics and fans alike, which is really surprising for DLC. I know I loved it; it's my current game of the year!

I don't think we have to worry about people only wanting them recently, though, as the idea of Octolings being Inkling clones has been around even back in the Smash Wii U ballot days. If DLC happens, I think they legit have a shot. :)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I didn't jump on board because of Pokken.
I jumped on board because I want my third favorite Pokemon in Smash.

Squirtle's moveset was really half-*****. I'm not even joking, just watch RelaxAlax's know your moves and you'll know what I mean. He was added purely because of a gimmick and his moveset was really basic as a result.
Seeing as Pokemon newcomers were probably just concept art at the time, Rowlet would've probably been even harder to implement, so if Rowlet was on Sakurai's mind he probably opted for Decidueye.
Also WHY are we using the popularity argument at this point?
Popularity among older fans will be determining factor for this game so that's a minus for both Decidueye and Rowlet.

But Decidueye lends itself to be a fighter better, it's simple character design. Even though I like Squirtle and Ivysaur, it's hard to say their fighting didn't at least a bit suffered from the basicness of their body.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You are talking about a direct competitor and cutting into Nintendo pockets about licensing as well not to mention Banjo is not even on Nintendo platforms and is exclusive to Microsoft now.
For direct competitors they've been getting awfully chummy lately. I don't think you allow one of your most popular IPs to appear on what you consider to be a "rival" system.

You're talking about Banjo not appearing on Nintendo platforms when Clouds only Nintendo appearance was in a gba and ds game? Banjo Kazooie was literally a Nintendo character, you don't get more of an intimate relationship with Nintendo than that. (at least not as a third party character)

When did I ever say MS would reject Sakurai’s request? I was saying if offered Chief in addition to Banjo, he’d take it because of the character’s legacy in the gaming industry and his icon status. I’m puzzled as to why you’re claiming that would make him desperate.
Oh I didn't realise that was what you meant. Yeah I get that, I'm not saying Sakurai wouldn't be interested in Master Chief if they did suggest him. (just that his primary focus would probably be Banjo & Kazooie)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll play too.
Hard Lock: Shadow (loathe as I am to say it, he seems like the most likely character to me at the moment)
Most wanted 1st party: Decidueye
Most wanted 3rd party: Rayman
Get their chance another day: Shovel Knight
Most wanted boss: Eggman
Most wanted assist trophy: Phoenix Wright
Most wanted Pokeball Pokemon: Chandelure
Most wanted stage: Ultra Space

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I honestly want to see no pokemon newcomers. Unless they are echos. I predict 3 more newcomers, a pokemon in that list is meh.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hard Lock - Pokémon newcomer
Most Wanted First Party - Elma
Most Wanted Third Party - Amaterasu or Sora or Shantae
Will Get Their Chance Another Day - Lyn, Krystal
Most wanted boss - Sephiroth
Most Wanted Assist - Dante
Most Wanted Pokéball Pokémon - Flygon
Most Wanted Stage setting - Leftherian Archipelago

Pipe Dream - Kat (from Gravity Rush)

D

Deleted member

Popularity among older fans will be determining factor for this game so that's a minus for both Decidueye and Rowlet.

But Decidueye lends itself to be a fighter better, it's simple character design. Even though I like Squirtle and Ivysaur, it's hard to say their fighting didn't at least a bit suffered from the basicness of their body.
I know, that's why I'm a bit worried when it comes to Pokemon newcomers in general and the main reason I want more than just old fan favorites.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want Blastoise playable in Smash.

Apparently it actually almost happened once. But we got Squirtle instead.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I'll play too.
Hard Lock: Bandanna dee
Most wanted 1st party: Rudley
Most wanted 3rd party: Ganbare Goemon!!!!
Most wanted boss: brawl bosses returning
Most wanted assist trophy: Ebisumaru
Most wanted stage: all missing past stages.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Problem is, the roster was decided in December 2015, before any of the Gen 7 'mons were revealed. Thusly, popularity can't be a factor for Gen 7's rep because no one knew which Pokemon would be popular and which ones wouldn't be.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hard Lock - Geno
Most Wanted First Party - Um, I'll go with Isaac
Most Wanted Third Party - Sora is possible
Will Get Their Chance Another Day - Ashley
Most wanted boss - Skull Kid
Most Wanted Assist - Jack Frost
Most Wanted Pokéball Pokémon - Psyduck
Pipe Dream: Makoto Yuki

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hard Lock: Isabelle
Most wanted 1st party: Elma
Most wanted 3rd party: Shantae
Get their chance another day: Ashley
Most wanted boss: Metal Gear REX
Most wanted assist trophy: Lin from Xenoblade X
Most wanted Pokeball Pokemon: Rowlet
Most wanted stage: Sylvalum

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
'just curious, was there any Pokemon character that was very popular on the ballot?

'cuz as of now, the newcomers seem to be mostly coming from the ballot (King.K.Rool being the biggest exemple), so maybe we should expect the Pokemon who were the most highly ranked.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I'm currently working on a Classic Mode system with Angry Video Game Nerd, with each match named after a stage from Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures. The problem is, many of the stages I'm referencing have cursewords merged into another world like, say, combining "asshole" and "vania." Would it be censored if they'd be one word, and would it be appropriate to type in?

Well, that, and I'm working on fleshing out the match rules. Do note that the first match as Kirby, he has to fight with that bloody mushroom on his head which reverses his controls. So do expect some crazy shenanigens this time. Hopefully, we don't get anything like "Complete Classic Mode on highest difficulty without losing a stock" bs that we got out of Smash Wii U. Especially if customization is to be removed.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I've got a fun game - Design a Classic Mode

Take your favorite character, confirmed or not, and design their respective Gauntlet based on the new style of Classic.

You need to plan out 6 battles (then bonus and then the Master boss) - some 1v1, some 2v2, and some other styles (vs Team, vs Giant, vs Metal, Free for all) - and give each a name, a set of opponents, and a stage. For the opponents and stages, try to stick to confirmed elements and avoid repeats.

Here's mine for the Dragonborn
  1. Training with the Master - 1v1 vs. Link on Great Plateau
  2. Dungeon Delving - 2v2 with Simon vs. Ganondorf and Robin on Castle Siege
  3. Forest Ambush - 1v10 vs. Team Wolf on Gaur Plain
  4. Blessing of Sovngarde - 1vMetal vs. Metal Palutena on Palutena’s Temple
  5. Dragon Battle - FFA vs. Charizard, Corrin, Yoshi on Coliseum
  6. Destroyer of Worlds - 1vGiant vs. Giant Ridley on Bridge of Eldin
Professor Layton

1. Curios Village- 1v1 against Villager on smashville (a cosy village like Smashville works perfectly for St. Mystrie)
2. Pandora’s Box- 1v10 dark pits, starts on Spirit tacks, stage shifts into Dracula’s castle. (Pandora created Dark pit, Spirit Track as montary express and Dracula’s castle as Anton’s castle)
3. Lost Future- Stamina battle against Lucina on arena Ferox. (Time travel themed fight)
4. Last Spectre- vs giant R.O.B with Lucas and zero suit Samus as an ally on Delfino Island( ROB is Descole’s contraption, Lucas and Zamus are Luke and Emmy)
5. Miracle Mask- vs Metal Meta Knight on Luminous City(Meta knight has a mask and the mask of chaos could turn people to stone, so Metal is clos enough. Luminous city is the closest place to France.)
6. Azran Legacy- FFA vs Wario and Marth on Rainbow cruise (Wario is Leon, Marth is Descole, rainbow cruise is the airships)

osby

Smash Obsessed
No, it will have to do with what the Pokemon Company wants to promote, like its always been.
I mean, all Pokémon we have are quite popular, maybe except Ivysaur, so they must be doing same things right.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm currently working on a Classic Mode system with Angry Video Game Nerd, with each match named after a stage from Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures. The problem is, many of the stages I'm referencing have cursewords merged into another world like, say, combining "*******" and "vania." Would it be censored if they'd be one word, and would it be appropriate to type in?

Well, that, and I'm working on fleshing out the match rules. Do note that the first match as Kirby, he has to fight with that bloody mushroom on his head which reverses his controls. So do expect some crazy shenanigens this time. Hopefully, we don't get anything like "Complete Classic Mode on highest difficulty without losing a stock" bs that we got out of Smash Wii U. Especially if customization is to be removed.
Let's try real fast

****vania

Edit: Only the curse word is censored

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
'just curious, was there any Pokemon character that was very popular on the ballot?

'cuz as of now, the newcomers seem to be mostly coming from the ballot (King.K.Rool being the biggest exemple), so maybe we should expect the Pokemon who were the most highly ranked.
Sceptile did fairly well. However, that was largely because Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire were the latest games and people wanted a grass type on the roster. In a world where Ivysaur is back and US/UM are the newest games, Sceptile is a lot less appealing.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I'll play too.
Hard Lock: Shadow (loathe as I am to say it, he seems like the most likely character to me at the moment)
Most wanted 1st party: Decidueye
Most wanted 3rd party: Rayman
Most wanted boss: Eggman
Most wanted assist trophy: Phoenix Wright
Most wanted stage: Ultra Space
Man why u got to do the skull boi dirty like that

osby

Smash Obsessed

We don't have ballot results, so it's hard to say.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I've updated my most wanted list, so here are my reasons behind them:
  1. Geno: SMRPG was a really fun game and I thought Geno was an interesting concept of a character. Before I played it, I think I might have actually found out about Geno from Smash speculation. I didn't play it as a kid, it was closer to... early high school? I think. Either way, not only do I strongly like the character, I think that it has a good chance.
  2. Captain Falcon Echo: I'm one of the few people that actually genuinely likes the ideas of echos, even before Chrom blew everyone out of the water with their perception of them. I like the idea of being able to choose which character I want the moveset to be applied to- for instance, I'm most certainly picking Daisy over Peach, Damus over Samus, and Chrom over Roy (Ike). Additionally, I think Captain Falcon has one of my favorite movesets, so literally ANYBODY with his moveset would be pretty funny to me and, while I still love the captain, if it's absurd enough I might pick the echo. But not "over" the captain, though, because he's still cool. Long live the captain.
  3. Skull Kid: Obviously, specifically the Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask. I love the game he's from and I think, yet again, that the character is interesting. Without the mask, he was just some prankster, or petty thug (lol don't look into that too hard). With the mask, he was brainwashed into throwing the moon into the town. No big deal. I think he's likely, but not incredibly likely (like how I view Geno), but also I think Majora or even Skull Kid himself would make an incredible story mode boss to unlock Young Link with. (Or, Young Link and Skull Kid, because I'm sure you'd be able to fight playable characters as bosses in Story mode too.)
  4. Buzzwole: Out of all the Gen 7 Pokemon ideas, Buzzwole is my favorite. Won't happen- in fact, I actually expect Decidueye. Or, rather, If I didn't pick Buzzwole, I would have picked Decidueye. It's my favorite starter. Haha. But, in my head, Ultra Beasts are a signature of Gen 7 and I think they genuinely have a chance of having at least been considered, and Buzzwole is my favorite "realizable" fighter. (I think my favorite UB in general is Guzzlord).
  5. Paper Mario: The Mario RPG from my childhood. I actually really like Paper Mario 64! A lot of people like TTYD, and so do I, but PM64 holds a bit of a higher place in my heart. Would be a third Mario, but who cares anymore? He would play radically different anyway and potentially use gimmicks from his huge range of video games. (...Including the ones that make us all sad...)
  6. Goemon: A huuuuuuuuuuuge part of my childhood. Something that could have very well planted the seed in my head that I should learn Japanese. Also, what got me interested in Japanese mythology and history. Ganbare Goemon is a video game series turned Pachislot machine (haha, thanks Konami) that has a lot of humor, gigantic robot fights, yokai, and charm (imo) and it would be the *biggest* curveball if Goemon was even mentioned, let alone playable. We already have Konami newcomers in Simon and Richter, and the stage and the AT and etc. But if there ended up being a Goemon *TROPHY*, I would be incredibly happy. Though, I'm the type of person who can appreciate my characters becoming assist trophies, even, because the representation in SMASH BROTHERS of all things, makes me happy.
tl;dr: You hate my list

Thank you, this has been an unreasonably long ToasterBrains's Thoughts post.
Your list is perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom