• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I really hope we get Grima as a boss. Have the stage be his back and have a slightly modified Robin model serve as its hitboxes, with the head appearing to attack with Expiration, its Dark Spikes and such. My other pick would be the Fire Dragon from FE7 but a)no FE7 character is playable and b)I feel like it would be too much overlap with Rathalod.
Other bosses I'd want: full promotion of Metal Face to a boss, Arceus for a Pokemon boss would be hype and a Metal Gear for Snake.
I've got a fun game - Design a Classic Mode

Take your favorite character, confirmed or not, and design their respective Gauntlet based on the new style of Classic.

You need to plan out 6 battles (then bonus and then the Master boss) - some 1v1, some 2v2, and some other styles (vs Team, vs Giant, vs Metal, Free for all) - and give each a name, a set of opponents, and a stage. For the opponents and stages, try to stick to confirmed elements and avoid repeats.

Here's mine for the Dragonborn
  1. Training with the Master - 1v1 vs. Link on Great Plateau
  2. Dungeon Delving - 2v2 with Simon vs. Ganondorf and Robin on Castle Siege
  3. Forest Ambush - 1v10 vs. Team Wolf on Gaur Plain
  4. Blessing of Sovngarde - 1vMetal vs. Metal Palutena on Palutena’s Temple
  5. Dragon Battle - FFA vs. Charizard, Corrin, Yoshi on Coliseum
  6. Destroyer of Worlds - 1vGiant vs. Giant Ridley on Bridge of Eldin
Saber - Battle for the Holy Grail
  1. Vs. Caster - 2v10 paired with Corrin against a team of Inklings
  2. Vs. Lancer - 1v1 against Corrin, has buff to shield breaking and attacks inflict the flower status
  3. Vs. Assassin - 1v20 against a group of Greninja and Sheik
  4. Vs. Berserker - 1v1 against a giant metal Bowser
  5. Vs. Archer - 1v5 against Link, Yink, Tink, Pit and Pittoo
  6. Vs. Avenger - 1v3 stamina battle against Saber Alter(just a blackened variation), Dark Link and Dark Samus
EDIT: **** I clicked reply on accident wait a minute

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So is there any real problem wit Skull Kid having Majora abilities and or Skull kid ones?

And then the final smash having him just BECOME Majora?

Last edited:

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman

Take your favorite character, confirmed or not, and design their respective Gauntlet based on the new style of Classic.

You need to plan out 6 battles (then bonus and then the Master boss) - some 1v1, some 2v2, and some other styles (vs Team, vs Giant, vs Metal, Free for all) - and give each a name, a set of opponents, and a stage. For the opponents and stages, try to stick to confirmed elements and avoid repeats.

Hmm, let's go with Crash.
  1. Primal Marsupial - 1v1 vs. Donkey Kong on Kongo Jungle
  2. N-Sane Chaos - Vs. Team Pokemon Trainer
  3. Crash & Bash - FFA vs Diddy Kong, Greninja & Bowser
  4. Going N-Sanity - 2v2 with Yoshi vs. Ridley & King K. Rool
  5. Time Travel - 1v3 vs Simon, Little Mac, & Samus
  6. The Console Wars - FFA vs. Mario & Sonic

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So with Rathalos and Dracula all but confirmed that they are bosses in a new single player mode, what other bosses would people like to see included?
Mine are an ultra beast either Buzzwole or Guzzlord
Lord Fredrik
Mama Broodal
And Void Termina
Necrozma
Medeus
Kraid
Death Egg Robot
Mr. Sandman

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Desperate? How? How would accepting an offer to add an iconic character seem "desperate"?
I just don't think Sakurai is in a position where he can't negotiate for the characters he wants.

You're making him sound like he'd have to peddle backwards on what he wanted or else get nothing at all, which I don't think is true. It's more likely to be the other way around, that companies would be willing to accommodate him in order to open a doorway for their characters/content to be represented in Smash.

Jeez I'm making him sound like a mafia boss but you get what I mean...I think most companies would likely be pretty amicable towards Sakurais requests. I think we might be dramatizing how likely they are to reject his requests.

Wambo

Smash Ace
The more I hear rumors about Spirits, the more excited I get. I really do hope it's some sort of adventure mode, either in the same vein as Melee or a Great Maze-style mode. Best case scenario: Subspace 2.

I can't help but feel really weird about the concept though. If it is all about characters getting their "souls" back, or something similar, it's very odd considering that Smash characters already have a history of turning into Trophies when they "die". The change will be weird if it's something akin to Luigi's "death".

Still, if it's something where I can fight bosses and roam various Nintendo-themed worlds, I'll be happy. Although, based on the shortcuts Sakurai has taken in the past with certain modes, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like Event Mode and you just selected various fights/challenges from a menu. I feel like that would be really lazy instead of making one combined, organized mode.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not on a computer so I’ll do the Smash Ultimate template via text

Hard Lock - Bandana Dee
Most Wanted First Party - Elma
Most Wanted Third Party - Neku or Dante
Will Get Their Chance Another Day - Fiora, Xenoblade 2 representation, ARMS character
Most wanted boss - Telethia the Endbringer
Most Wanted Assist - Phantom Joker (you’ll never see it COOOOMIIIIINNNNNN~)
Most Wanted Pokeball Pokémon - uhhhhhhh Poipole?
Most Wanted Stage setting - Sylvalum, baby!

And I’m adding one more category just because

Pipe Dream - Fatal Frame character

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I think it's hilarious how much Goku talk there has been lately. First there was the whole Walking Dead x Tekken incident, then there was a crazy reveal at the end of the last the direct that left everyone asking "how could they possibly top this"? People who never thought the idea was even worth considering are now actually scared that Goku might actually happen now.

Honestly though? If he made it in, I think most people would get over it. The idea of Smash being a celebration of gaming is just kind of a title we've slapped onto it. Before it was the "celebration of Nintendo featuring Sonic and Snake", and any character not tied in with Nintendo was immediately shot down for that. But then Cloud happened and most people just learned to accept it. You've got to remember that when Smash Brothers was first conceived, it was as a new take on the fighting genre, not as a massive video game all-star crossover. It just kind of naturally evolved into that.

And honestly? I think Goku would actually be pretty hype, and this is as someone who doesn't really care for Dragonball or its characters. Heck, I barely even like most anime. But he's just so insanely flashy and over the top that it's hard for me not to see the appeal of having someone like him in Smashbrothers.

And just to clarify, I don't think Goku is ever actually going to happen. I give it maybe, I dunno, a 0.2% chance even in a best-case scenario for him where he scored #1 on the ballot. But I really don't think we should be horrified of it if it does happen. He'll still only be just one anime character in a game that still has over sixty Nintendo characters. His presence won't somehow ruin the spirit of Smash Brothers all by itself.

I actually work at Nintendo and Goku is going to be revealed in a Direct in November (with Naruto as an echo fighter). I'm just trying to prevent the inevitable fan riot before it even starts.
Maybe....but you're kinda making him sound like he's desperate. I still think he'd probably push for Banjo & Kazooie. (and they would probably accept since it would be an act of good faith between them....and open the door to other characters down the line)

I guess the question is whether Sakurai wants something that will wow Nintendo fans or Gaming fans at large....and really with K. Rool just being announced I'm feeling the former right now.
Y'all are acting like Sakurai has real power in this. The best thing he can do is ask his executives first to entertain the idea of collaborating with their Rival; then ask Microsoft themselves the respective people in charge of whatever character. This makes Steve (dear god help us all) the only logical choice since he's on the Switch.

Minecraft being multi platform isn't surprising at all because Microsoft would get a crap ton of heat for buying out the franchise and then making it exclusive to their system when it was already accessible. They even did PR and said it wouldn't be exclusive during the time of the deal. Just look at Sony situation about Fortnite and how they lost stock due to locking their players out from other systems.

Banjo unfortunately was bought ages ago so the time for outcry has long past. Best hope for Microsoft to make him muti-platform otherwise I don't see how Nintendo stock owners and executives would be okay with having to pay for Banjo and then not getting any benefits of the deal except for him being in Smash. Better off going for Dante, SORA, FF character, and co-op.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
A third of the roster, at this point, would be around Melee's size of the roster, and remember how many clones that game had?

For Mario, I'd expect exactly the same characters, with Dr. Mario being replaced with BJ or Rosa, tbh. 4 or 5.

Zelda? Ugh... As much as I wouldn't like it, the main three would take priority, with either Shiek being shoved back into Zelda's slot, or a clone character being the fourth rep, if any. 3 or 4.

Pokémon? Same roster, but maybe take Pichu out and replace him with Lucario or the Trainer. Four.

Kirby? I expect at least Kirby and one of the other two, with the main three at most. Likely two.

Metroid? Samus with a Zamus transform and Ridley. That's really all we need. Two.

DK? Oh... This is a toughie. Donkey Kong and... I wanna say Diddy will be there too, and MAYBE K. Rool or Dixie? I don't see it going beyond 3. Likely two.

Yoshi? We all already know, the poor guy. 1.

Star Fox? Yeah, two IF we're even lucky. Likely 1.

F-Zero? Original 12 have the nostalgia and immunity idol, so I hope he gets to stay. 1, if any.

Mother? See above. 1, if any.

That's a low-end of 21, and a high-end of 25 characters already.

Maybe we'll see Marth too, and MAYBE Pit, Inklings, and Villager if they swap a few of the more niche series in favor of newer successes.

This is how I feel. I'm willing to take off one from Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon to make room for more, just not sure if the developers would.
I would just hope all the OG12 sticks around for good

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
But also isn't Dracula a stage boss in his Castle stage though?
Look into the background and the stage layout, it is clearly a different stage.
Well we saw Simon and Richter both fight Dracula, although boss fights in Brawl could be 2 player too
Actually, I'm pretty sure it has already been pointed out it's just editing magic. They show both characters together, but without Dracula, then Richter facing Dracula alone. I would be surprised there's no coop, though, it has been a staple since Brawl.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Y'all are acting like Sakurai has real power in this. The best thing he can do is ask his executives first to entertain the idea of collaborating with their Rival; then ask Microsoft themselves the respective people in charge of whatever character. This makes Steve (dear god help us all) the only logical choice since he's on the Switch.
He has the power to say no.

That's pretty powerful.

Don't Nintendo play a pretty hands off role with how Sakurai makes Smash Bros games? I'm having a hard time imagining they wouldn't respect his judgement.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Doubt on a character (maybe dlc) but do you think the goemon crew might get a trophy since konami seems to be playing nice.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Not on a computer so I’ll do the Smash Ultimate template via text

Hard Lock - Bandana Dee
Most Wanted First Party - Elma
Most Wanted Third Party - Neku or Dante
Will Get Their Chance Another Day - Fiora, Xenoblade 2 representation, ARMS character
Most wanted boss - Telethia the Endbringer
Most Wanted Assist - Phantom Joker (you’ll never see it COOOOMIIIIINNNNNN~)
Most Wanted Pokeball Pokémon - uhhhhhhh Poipole?
Most Wanted Stage setting - Sylvalum, baby!

And I’m adding one more category just because

Pipe Dream - Fatal Frame character
I'll do the same:

Hard Lock - Simon Belmont
Most Wanted First Party - Elma or Buzzwole.
Most Wanted Third Party - Heihachi Mishima or Chun-Li.
Most Wanted Boss - Hades
Most Wanted Assist - Another Street Fighter character.
Most Wanted Pokeball Pokemon - Another Ultra Beast or Alola Guardian.
Most Wanted Stage setting - Ultra Space Wormhole.

I'll add something extra:

Most Wanted Echo: Ken/Akuma or Sakura.

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I’m honestly betting that Elma gets revealed pretty soon and you’ll end up revising your words.

Elma definitely isn’t dead at all. To think that after the direct is an extreme example of statement shift.
I don’t agree at all. Literally every character reveal (besides Richter) has been fan-service. Up until now support for Elma hasn’t been that prevalent, especially compared to the likes of Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, and even Bandana Waddle Dee. And to be honest her game, while being one of my favorite games of all time, isn’t really “remembered”. You could say the same for Isaac and Banjo, but they’re favorites among fans.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'll do one for Chrom

1. Sparring Practice - 1v1 vs Lucina on Castle Siege
2. Before Awakening - 2v2 with Corrin vs Invisible Bowser and Bowser Jr. on Gaur Plain
3. Better Places to Take a Nap - 1v10 vs Team Ness on Magicant
4. Outrealm Warriors - FFA vs Marth, Ike, and Roy on Coliseum
5. Anything Can Change - 1v1 vs Captain Falcon on Port Town Aero Dive
6. The Fell Dragon - vs Robin and Giant Ridley on Arena Ferox, with Id - Purpose playing.

And then the token Master Hand fight.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
He has the power to say no.

That's pretty powerful.

Don't Nintendo play a pretty hands off role with how Sakurai makes Smash Bros games? I'm having a hard time imagining they wouldn't respect his judgement.
You are talking about a direct competitor and cutting into Nintendo pockets about licensing as well not to mention Banjo is not even on Nintendo platforms and is exclusive to Microsoft now. Nintendo is hands off to a degree and I speculate especially when Iwata was still alive.

Last edited:

Oddbaum21

Smash Rookie
I just realized that the stage that Rathalos is in looks like the first area you enter in the Jurassic Frontier in MHGen.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Geno doesn't somehow get in, I hope he gets a Mewtwo style "He's coming" DLC reveal.

There hasn't been a single leak with Geno. Just "leaks". But then again, they also didn't have Richter or K Rool

Or if Geno does get in, Mallow gets his DLC

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
What if we already got our gen 8 (edit: 6) pokemon rep, and just didn't realize it at the time?

Joking of course. Now that mimikyu is out of the running, it's worth pondering what the options are, and if Incineroar is actually the pokemon rep or rather it's a non-gen 8 pokemon or we just don't get a newcomer at all, or if the leakers are wrong and it's decidueye or lycanroc.
Primarina is a possible choice with it's high popularity, mixed with it's unique appearance, and potentially unusual fighting style using singing to control water, it seems like a character Sakurai would have fun creating a moveset for.

In fact, there could be a Performance Gauge. After all as a performer, Primarina does it's best work in the spotlight, if Primarina hits an opponent 20 times with Standard or Special Attacks, or KO's the enemy the Performance Gauge will be full, giving Primarina increased movement speed, attack, and lessening the enemies chances of breaking her throws.

It would trap the enemy in a orb of water for it's throws and you can either throw them normally, or just like a seal or a sea lion who does different tricks with a ball, you can convert your throw into another throw without canceling and continue to rack up damage while doing tricks and filling your gauge, of course enemy can escape the throw but it'll be difficult at full Performance Gauge. With vocally controlled water, a Performance Gauge and Throw Conversions I feel Primarina could be a very unique character worthy of newcomer.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
A Hoenn remake during Gen VI is still Gen VI.
Wasn’t it during the original.

Also, really? This feels like Fire Emblem all over again where they have Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, aFE11 and FE12 despite the fact that they’re remakes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If Geno doesn't somehow get in, I hope he gets a Mewtwo style "He's coming" DLC reveal.

There hasn't been a single leak with Geno. Just "leaks". But then again, they also didn't have Richter or K Rool

Or if Geno does get in, Mallow gets his DLC
We have absolutely no idea how DLC will be handled this time (like, Mewtwo was a veteran). If we get 'enough' 'fan favourites' in the base roster, maybe DLC will include newer characters or dark horse picks like Bayonetta. But this is justice wishful thinking. DLC may focus on third parties, echoes or anything, we simply don't know for now.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Wasn’t it during the original.

Also, really? This feels like Fire Emblem all over again where they have Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, aFE11 and FE12 despite the fact that they’re remakes.
Yeah, ORAS is Gen VI and Cosplay Pikachu was never present on the originals

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
We have absolutely no idea how DLC will be handled this time (like, Mewtwo was a veteran). If we get 'enough' 'fan favourites' in the base roster, maybe DLC will include newer characters or dark horse picks like Bayonetta. But this is justice wishful thinking. DLC may focus on third parties, echoes or anything, we simply don't know for now.
I am certain two DLC charcters will be Rex and Spring Man

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, ORAS is Gen VI and Cosplay Pikachu was never present on the originals
I think it's really freaky that the cosplay pokemon have the black at the end of their tails like the Mandela effect Pikachu that people remember

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I just don't think Sakurai is in a position where he can't negotiate for the characters he wants.

You're making him sound like he'd have to peddle backwards on what he wanted or else get nothing at all, which I don't think is true. It's more likely to be the other way around, that companies would be willing to accommodate him in order to open a doorway for their characters/content to be represented in Smash.

Jeez I'm making him sound like a mafia boss but you get what I mean...I think most companies would likely be pretty amicable towards Sakurais requests. I think we might be dramatizing how likely they are to reject his requests.
When did I ever say MS would reject Sakurai’s request? I was saying if offered Chief in addition to Banjo, he’d take it because of the character’s legacy in the gaming industry and his icon status. I’m puzzled as to why you’re claiming that would make him desperate.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ya know, in futur interview after the release of the game, I would really like to hear how easy a echo fighter is to make. Some might say that's obvious but I would still like words from the man himself. Especially if echo fighter can be made mid-developpement, long after the roster was decided due to how easy they are to put together.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know why Rex would be DLC. There's been concept art for him as early as 2015.
Yes, a concept. Concepts need finalization for a game like Xenoblade. Concept Rex looked different, probably even had a different fighting style.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know why Rex would be DLC. There's been concept art for him as early as 2015.
Because we didn't get any newcomers younger than Smash For since Inklings and it seems this game will be going for full nostalgia... if you are a 80s or 90s kid, that is.

D

Deleted member

They sound cool. We'll never had newer characters at base roster after Inklings, at this rate, so I hope DLC will focus on that.
Same here. The big reason I want DLC is because I'm pretty much convinced at this point that DLC is the only shot Octolings have at making it in, so fingers crossed!

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
You remind me a need to actualize my most wanted list after K.Rool's and Simon/Richter's reveal... Well; I don't have many characters I really want after this point xDU.
Your list is perfect.

Edit: replied to the wrong post lol

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I didn't grow up playing a lot of Castlevania games (only played one obscure cell phone port), but being able to fight as Link in Dracula's Castle (with probably the best video game tracks in a Smash game) and fighting Dracula as a boss not only makes me want to start playing Castlevania games, but makes me wish for a Legend of Zelda X Castlevania crossover. Man, where am I even gonna start with the Castlevania games, though...

For DLC characters, throw in Sora from Kingdom Hearts so that we not only get another Square Enix rep, but more music as well. Cloud only brought two tracks from Final Fantasy with him, so hopefully we get more music from Square this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom