• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a foreshadowing for Nintendo dropping a bomb during tomorrow's Direct...
"We've heard the fan outcrys about a certain character still being an assist trophy. Endless YouTube videos and parodies, constant blog posts and forum discussions. We never expected such a response, and so we've decided to fix the problem.

Bomberman will now be a playable character."
-cuts to Bomberman getting Waluigi AT-

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
And for all those Gengar supporters, even though I love ghosts Gengar is one of my least favorite of the ghost types, sorry not sorry).
He's the best looking ghost type because he actually looks like a ghost. And doesn't have to float around either which doesn't suit smash.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Goku is not a video game character though...
But like I and others keep pointing out, Smash is really bad as a general gaming crossover. Like, I almost always play with people who play games a lot, but play on PC or Xbox. They only have Nintendo systems for Smash and don't play anything else on them. They don't know who anyone is despite being gamers too. They consider all the characters to be "Smash characters". Even ones the Smash fanbase doesn't consider particularly obscure, like Samus, Captain Falcon, and Pit. They actually know Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt better despite everyone saying how out of left field those were. They made more sense to them because they were mainstream enough non-Nintendo fans are familiar with them.

If Smash isn't about Nintendo, it's not really doing a good job at all representing gaming in general.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Vege guy said a controversial fighter?

Hmmmm I have a gut feeling it's going to Goku, James Bond, or s Tekken Rep. I feel like those are the most realistic picks that may cause controversy.

Something like Tetris block yeah would be really cool but I don't see it happening. Way too far fetched.

A gen 1 Rep would be so cool though. Hitnomchan as a little Mac echo fighter is the most likely imo.

Ugh no Eevee please we already got a boring normal type Pokemon with Jigglypuff He gets the novelty cute factor.

Gyrados would be cool, Dragonite would be perfect, Alakazam works, and Gengar would be my preferred pick for Gen 1 representation.

I'm pretty sure vergeben said a controversial character but later said he meant the gen7 pokemon and it was controversial because its not decidueye/mimikyu/lycanroc

i think it got misconstrued as another character but he was just talking about the gen 7 pokemon and the reason its controversial to him was because it wasnt one of those 3.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Damn, I missed a spicy Chrom/FE discussion. Here are my thoughts on the matter. "FATESAWAKENING BAD, SOV GOOD."

In all seriousness though, I can see Chrom as an Echo. Awakening is turning out to be the Gen 1 of FE, and Chrom already has most of the resources that an Echo would need (Assets, a clonable character, etc.). After seeing Chrom get a Mii Costume and placing somewhat highly both CYL ballots (without Smash Bros popularity or Fates relevancy) I'd say Chrom is popular.

The problem with Chrom is that he's the antithesis of what the community wants. A blue-haired Falchion user that is a clone who is from a game that already has two reps? I don't think that will sit right with anyone, regardless of Chrom's ease of creation or Awakening's importance.

I hope that the CYL's would impact Sakurai's DLC decisions, I think the best timeline for an FE rep would just be to wait for anyone like Celica/Ephraim/Hector to be added as DLC. That's what the community really needs, unique reps design-wise that are empirically proven to be popular and aren't just relevancy/promotion. Chrom would be an easy addition, but for the sake of salt part of me hopes that Sakurai makes the more fan-pleasing choice.

Pakky

Smash Hero
But like I and others keep pointing out, Smash is really bad as a general gaming crossover. Like, I almost always play with people who play games a lot, but play on PC or Xbox. They only have Nintendo systems for Smash and don't play anything else on them. They don't know who anyone is despite being gamers too. They consider all the characters to be "Smash characters". Even ones the Smash fanbase doesn't consider particularly obscure, like Samus, Captain Falcon, and Pit. They actually know Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt better despite everyone saying how out of left field those were. They made more sense to them because they were mainstream enough non-Nintendo fans are familiar with them.

If Smash isn't about Nintendo, it's not really doing a good job at all representing gaming in general.
Okay so how does this justify Goku again?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Of course there will be at least one newcomer, I would already expect a trailer if it was a general Nintendo Direct, let alone a Smash specific Direct.
Also why are some of you still expecting Eevee? She was already shown as a pokeball summon.
Also why in the blue hell did someone even mention James Bond? Jfc guys get back on track. /rant

WaxPython

Smash Ace
As for those saying ' well Goku is disconfirmed because he didn't originate in a video game '

ROB was just a toy... Goku has appeared in like 40 Nintendo games how many has Cloud appeared in?

#Goku4Smash

EDIT
@Above

Well we don't really have much N64 Rare era rep and James Bond was as big as it gets with Goldeneye and the sequel.

He can be a snake echo fighter without too much controversy I think most would like him.

He got a remake with goldeneye on Wii so I doubt licensing would be an issue for Nintendo too

Last edited:

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
If the Gen 7 pokemon is Buzzwole I'll be really dissaponted. If it's Silvally or Alolan Marowak that'll be hype for me. Really don't care about Inceniroar.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course there will be at least one newcomer, I would already expect a trailer if it was a general Nintendo Direct, let alone a Smash specific Direct.
Also why are some of you still expecting Eevee? She was already shown as a pokeball summon.
Also why in the blue hell did someone even mention James Bond? Jfc guys get back on track. /rant
James Bond is the only non-game character Sakurai legitimately considered back during Melee's development. So cause Goku is being talked about, it makes sense to mention another non-game character.

Regardless, I don't much care if we get a non-game character or not at this point, as long as they at least have a game appearance in general and are actually iconic. But I also feel the whole "games only" thing is limiting at times. I can see issues moreso with extreme character suggestions plus lots of backlash. So him keeping it to game characters only isn't a bad thing either. I just don't see a need for the purist mindset as is. Never really agreed with it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As for those saying ' well Goku is disconfirmed because he didn't originate in a video game '

ROB was just a toy... Goku has appeared in like 40 Nintendo games how many has Cloud appeared in?

#Goku4Smash

EDIT
@Above

Well we don't really have much N64 Rare era rep and James Bond was as big as it gets with Goldeneye and the sequel.

He can be a snake echo fighter without too much controversy I think most would like him.

He got a remake with goldeneye on Wii so I doubt licensing would be an issue for Nintendo too
The difference is R.O.B. is owned by Nintendo and was a video game accessory. The rule against anime/manga characters exists because of licensing issues more than anything else. Goku is a licensing nightmare.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
The difference is R.O.B. is owned by Nintendo and was a video game accessory. The rule against anime/manga characters exists because of licensing issues more than anything else. Goku is a licensing nightmare.
You're acting like it's an offical rule lol. They're big companies, smash is a big brand im sure they can work something out easily and see how a deal would be mutually beneficial.

Companies usually aren't reluctant to license out properties contrary to popular belief look how easily snake returned even without Kojima, people thought it was impossible

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am so excited for tomorrow!
I am sure Sakurai will not disappoint us.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
James Bond may have it worse. Using a real life person's likeliness is harder, as you have to deal with the actor making sure things like damage are specifically how they want them to work. Never mind they might want the animations to directly match their own movements(like how Mortal Kombat did some of the actual animations, via Motion Capture), and then there's getting the personality right, the proper weapons cause it's James Bond, and you have other money issues if the current actor is high profile. And that's not including the voice either.

It's a severe licensing nightmare. Goku may be remotely easier at this point, as other than a few lines from the voice actor, it's just a matter of Akira Toriyama saying yes/licensing it without an extreme amount of cash needed. Namco-Bandai is already on board, so getting a good deal from them isn't as hard.

I don't think either have a real chance to get in, but it's funny to say that Goku might be the easier of the two at this point.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I have a hard time getting in the mind of someone with the mentality that a non-videogame character can make it into smash
Well I mean Sakurai did consider putting James Bond in Melee but anyway...

@Above Pierce Brosnan is a pretty cool guy I'm sure he'll agree to do it.

If not just having a general James Bond not based on any character in particular and just be a mashup of all the Bonds works too with a generic voice actor.

That's what Snake is people he's not based on solid snake completely, he has Naked Snakes Voice and head it's a fact.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh joy, the one thing worse than Echo arguments: Goku arguments. :rolleyes:

Can we please talk about something else? I’m tired of having to wade through 6+ pages of a Goku debate.

In fact, I may as well start a new topic: what do you expect or hope will be the blog entry tonight?

Since Wednesday will definitely reveal at least one character, I’m expecting a music track reveal tonight. I’m hoping for a Xenoblade series track...for uh...reasons. :lol:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"When Eevee joins the battle, Clefairy is in charge of the Pokéball!"

"Clefairy (TLN: Leave it to me)!"

You're acting like it's an offical rule lol. They're big companies, smash is a big brand im sure they can work something out easily and see how a deal would be naturally beneficial.

Companies usually aren't reluctant to license out properties contrary to popular belief look how easily snake returned even without Kojima, people thought it was impossible
Yeah, but it also accounts for Western licensers. Consider Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, which was an alignment of the stars by the sheer fact that they actually managed to pull off exporting it, and even then it was an updated rerelease that had to remove Hakushon Daimaou to do it, since no one is sure of who owns him.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
That's what Snake is people he's not based on solid snake completely, he has Naked Snakes Voice and head it's a fact.
David Hayter also voices solid snake

As for his head... the only difference is the fact that in smash he has a beard akin to Big Boss. It's more of a homage really

blackghost

Smash Champion
dont really care if goku is in. if it makes someone happy then thats cool i guess. i know id never touch him not a character i really care for.
Heihachi does have a chance people like to use the king k costume in 4 to show he had support from sakurai but they choose to ignore the others of LLoyd and Heihachi and ashley.
i think we get to see a few more vetrans more fully and ashley and bandana dee get revealed.
modes will be a revamped classic mode, allstar mode adjustments, smash run, smash tour, and a i doubt there will b enew mode ot play as multiple charatcers in a stock mode. i don think story mode like brawl is happening and i'd rather they not do that becuase of the resources it would have ate from the actual fighting and mechanics in the game. fighting games dont need stories they are either underwhelming or restrict the game in some other way. for me subspace was more chore than charm, especially with the great maze.
i doubt there will be multiplayer information given out at this time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Can we please talk about something else? I’m tired of having to wade through 6+ pages of a Goku debate.

In fact, I may as well start a new topic: what do you expect or hope will be the blog entry tonight?

Since Wednesday will definitely reveal at least one character, I’m expecting a music track reveal tonight. I’m hoping for a Xenoblade series track...for uh...reasons. :lol:
I'm hoping for a Fire Emblem or Pokémon remix tonight.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think that back in Brawl days,license was a hell to deal with,even with companies that agreed on (Konami for snake and Sega for Sonic.)

Now with Smash 4, it seems that licensing is a lot easier and other companies really wants to be represented into Smash. I even remember of an interview where Sakurai says he was not confident about getting Ryu/Cloud into the game,but the process was easier than expected.

I really don't think a not videogame character is that out of the box. People tends to forget that limiting the ballot made a lot of sense,since they need to cross a line or they would take a deep search to find a reasonable character as the most voted one. Think if they decide to not make that clear at the poll and suddendly there's Vader and Harry Potter support threads. It's different of themselves coming with a surprise.

I think that a famous character from other midia type will eventually happen. Smash is quite big and the crosover tendency is stronger than never. That's why I don't think Goku is so impossible right now. And if Disney be requested Sora,I feel they would want Mickey too.

EDIT: But I don't want any of them. Mickey would be cool bit for me first party characters are the best bunch to go.

Last edited:

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Pokemonwise, this thread for me has been a rollercoaster of supports and favorites.

I began with 0 favs for Gen VII, as I never bought Sun and Moon, thinking Decidueye was the flavour of the month and Mimikyu a dumb and forced idea. After a couple of weeks Mimikyu really started to grow on me with all the pro arguments for his inclusion but at that time I thought Decidueye was already granted to be in.

Then the Lycanroc train started and I began seeing him as a good possibility. However Mimikyu remained my favorite one with Incineroar a close second.

But boy ohhh boy everything changed when Buzzwole and Golispod arrived. Those freaking pokemon look cool as hell and they look they would be fun to play as. I think this is what is great about this community, characters that i didnt give a **** about, started growing on me due to their fans sharing their love for them and now I am more open and excited to any newcomer that may come. Except for Steve getting in over Banjo and Kazooie, that will be punished with death.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
David Hayter also voices solid snake

As for his head... the only difference is the fact that in smash he has a beard akin to Big Boss. It's more of a homage really
I know I'm a huge MGS fan but Hayter uses a different voice for solid and naked snake, also it's not just the head, all the alt costumes are from MGS3.

It's no coincidence the fighters name is just Snake and not Solid Snake

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
fighting games dont need stories they are either underwhelming or restrict the game in some other way. for me subspace was more chore than charm, especially with the great maze.
Sadly that apparently will remain the norm, given that the mostly plotless Virtua Fighter eventually stopped getting entries (though it did end on a high note with VF5 and its multiple updates).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It does make me wonder why they chose the Melee grand finals instead of Smash 4. Tin foil hat time but I think it's because one of the character reveals will have "legs" and been on wishlists for nearly 20 years. There's a handful left and, if you're a Boomer on this board like me, you could easily rattle off several without hardly thinking about it.
EVO announcements usually happen on the Sunday as that's when there's peak viewership. To put it in perspective Smash 4 peaked at 48k viewership while Melee peaked at 195k, it's not just a small difference.

I feel like I'm one of the few that gets more tense when it comes to Smash presentations. Ever since Cloud's reveal, I get more stressed as the presentation gets closer, rather than hyped. I'm going into this presentation assuming the worst will happen. Helps save me from being too disappointed.

Still hoping to learn more of the game, other than characters. I want to know what stages we haven't seen are returning, more new stages, what characters are deconfirmed already, what new single player modes there are, etc.
I got stressed the **** out by the E3 Direct because of the Ridley rumors, so many clips in so little time and I was fearing Pyrosphere appearing any second. The relief at the end was something else.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Wow, so I guess all I missed was a ton of Goku speculation haha. I have to say I find it slightly humorous how this forum fights against Goku using the same 'purity' argument that has been used against 3rd parties for years, despite 'Nintendo purists' getting treated like we're ruining the game.

My take on Smashboards in general: we're really strattling the edge of where purity matters unfortunately. We have so many 3rd parties and Cloud and Snake get dangerously close to breaking the Nintendo connection that everyone says is a fan rule. Once that's definitively broken with Steve, Kat, Master Cheif, etc, I can't see how one can argue against Goku anymore for purity reasons. Especially it they supported the previous moves that broke purity down in the first place.

My take on Goku: Seems Goku supporters are completely cool with Smash Bros literally not being about anything, but I still always prefer some consistency and theming in things. I love me a horror movie marathon with mediocre movies more than a rom-com followed by horror followed by comedy followed by drama with all amazing movies. If you like a grab-bag without unity, that's perfectly fine. Just don't be offended most want at least some semblance of theme or meaning.
Goku's not a vidya game character tho, unlike Master Cheif and Steve

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I'm predicting tonight will a Fire Emblem music piece and maybe Dedede's trailer.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I kinda hope we don't get a gen 7 Rep and we get another Gen 1 Rep. I really disliked the Pokemon designs in Gen 7 and it was genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played so I have no attachment to it whatsoever.

Incredibly easy, the game just holds your hand from start to finish with slow tedious cutscenes throught the game. I even preferred Gen 6 which I literally beat using one Pokemon.

How easy Nintendo games have become even fire emblem is incredibly disappointing I guess that's why why stopped making advance wars games :(

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm going to be that guy...

Why aren't I seeing any debates for Sponge Bob or Paul Blart?

Noipoi

Howdy!

Just gimme a good Pokemon remix from Sun and Moon, that game's soundtrack is so good it pains me.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Moon River instrumental please!

Or Juri's theme!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom