• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I am so excited for tomorrow!
I am sure Sakurai will not disappoint us.
Depends on the mindset. I personally wouldn't mind if my characters end up as assist trophies, because representation is representation for me haha. But a lot of people want to play as their characters, so they might get upset if they end up disconfirmed. Almost worse if they're missing entirely because they're left to try and defend their potential existence for longer, lol.

But like I said, depends on the mindset. Almost anything would hype me up for this direct lol.

I kinda hope we don't get a gen 7 Rep and we get another Gen 1 Rep. I really disliked the Pokemon designs in Gen 7 and it was genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played so I have no attachment to it whatsoever.

Incredibly easy, the game just holds your hand from start to finish with slow tedious cutscenes throught the game. I even preferred Gen 6 which I literally beat using one Pokemon.

How easy Nintendo games have become even fire emblem is incredibly disappointing I guess that's why why stopped making advance wars games :(
On the flip side, I personally thing Gen I was one of the more boring generations.

Turns out preferences are a thing and in Pokemon's case, it probably won't make more of a difference than whatever's the latest generation.

R.I.P Gen 3 though

Untouch

Smash Master
I'd be fine if the direct tomorrow was just sakurai slowly saying "Goku is never getting in" for 30 minutes then just having the direct end.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I kinda hope we don't get a gen 7 Rep and we get another Gen 1 Rep. I really disliked the Pokemon designs in Gen 7 and it was genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played so I have no attachment to it whatsoever.

Incredibly easy, the game just holds your hand from start to finish with slow tedious cutscenes throught the game. I even preferred Gen 6 which I literally beat using one Pokemon.

How easy Nintendo games have become even fire emblem is incredibly disappointing I guess that's why why stopped making advance wars games :(
Kanto Pokémon outweigh ones from later gens 2 to 1. We don't need another Pokémon from Gen Scum and if we do I may consider not buying.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman

While I agree gen 7 wasn't the best gen ever, saying it was too easy is kinda pointless, every pokemon iteration is quite easy , gen 7 even being on the 'harder' end of the pokemon difficulty scale.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Guys, they already have a lot of video game characters to work with, 1st or 3rd party, and opening the floodgates to "4th party" characters could detract them from the characters that would actually make this Smash Ultimate. I'd much rather see Crash than meme character #7 that barely has anything to do with Nintendo or Japanese developers.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ya all have better chance to get one of your characters that I have hope for my man Malos to be playable.:sadsheep:

In other words, while I have character I would really like to see tomorrow, frankly, I just want to see the direct than anything else at this point.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Turns out preferences are a thing and in Pokemon's case, it probably won't make more of a difference than whatever's the latest generation.
There's no gen 5 fighter either so I don't think there's a requirement for a rep every gen.

With hey pikachu or whatever coming out which is set in Kanto I'd wager a new gen 1 rep is preferred.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Guys, they already have a lot of video game characters to work with, 1st or 3rd party, and opening the floodgates to "4th party" characters could detract them from the characters that would actually make this Smash Ultimate. I'd much rather see Crash than meme character #7 that barely has anything to do with Nintendo or Japanese developers.
Exactly!

Other icons from pop-culture would overshadow the videogame roster easily. Could you imagine a nintendo character getting cut because some people want goku and spider-man back?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
goku’s a neat idea but you know what’s even better

(Not cycling the same 5 supporting characters)

Also, there’s at least a bit more going into licensing. But let’s talk about that rule (I’m on vacation and posting from my phone)

The rule was made in about 06-07 when snake was revealed and Sakurai opened requests on a poll + NSider (nintendo’s Official forum) was around - they tracked both of them a lot, to my understanding.

So, it’s possible that there could be an exception with like, 1-2 characters. The reason it was put down in the first place, more than likely, is so fans kept the demand to mostly vg characters (and mostly Nintendo at that) instead of suggesting only Goku, Brittney Spears, Shrek, and Hillary Clinton.

(Even w/o Goku, we’ve got plenty of Nintendo supporting characters and third parties to roll through)

also, the “Nintendo rule” is just “had to have appeared on a Nintendo console.” It’s pretty flexible. (Which yes, cloud did.)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

But gengar is the only option left from gen 1

I really doubt they would do a hitmochan to be a echo of little mac

Besides if vergeben is right he said we're getting a gen 7 rep

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There's no gen 5 fighter either so I don't think there's a requirement for a rep every gen.

With hey pikachu or whatever coming out which is set in Kanto I'd wager a new gen 1 rep is preferred.
I don't think it's a requirement, nah. Just a heavy consideration if Pokemon were to get a new rep. I think the generations that were skipped were only skipped due to the timing of Smash development, though.

And who knows at this point. Honestly, I either want Buzzwole or a curveball Gen 3 pokemon

I don't think Let's Go will actually make a difference, though, considering when the project plan was completed (2015).

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm a huge MGS fan but Hayter uses a different voice for solid and naked snake, also it's not just the head, all the alt costumes are from MGS3.

It's no coincidence the fighters name is just Snake and not Solid Snake
Now if only we could get a blond haired alt for Liquid, and a grey-haired one for Old Man Snake/Solidus. Would also like at least one to have an eyepatch, but probably won't happen

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

While a favorite gen or Pokemon is subjective and so there's no use "arguing" for one or the other, it's objective that Gen 1 makes up more than half of the Pokemon (both in roster spots as well as playable characters). There's really no reason to add another Gen 1 Pokemon.

Furthmore, and this is more subjective, I personally don't think there's a Gen 1 Pokemon that needs to be repped. We have the mascot, the most popular legendary, the starter trio and even Jiggly Puff because the anime. At this point any other Gen 1 Pokemon suggestion feels like "just because".

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Way before he mentioned a Pokémon newcomer, he said he had heard of a controversial character but he couldn't disclose whom as he was not 100% sure yet.
He didn't, what he said was that there was a third character he heard about, but didn't want to say anything because he heard conflicting things on them. People took the 'conflicting' part and assumed he meant that they were controversial. He later stated that the character in question was the Gen 7 Pokémon, which he states would be 'controversial' because it's not the Pokémon people expect.

Really, it was just a bad game of telephone. Verge said one thing, people heard another, and that got spread as truth.

Well I mean Sakurai did consider putting James Bond in Melee but anyway...

@Above Pierce Brosnan is a pretty cool guy I'm sure he'll agree to do it.

If not just having a general James Bond not based on any character in particular and just be a mashup of all the Bonds works too with a generic voice actor.

That's what Snake is people he's not based on solid snake completely, he has Naked Snakes Voice and head it's a fact.
James Bond has always been the weakest of Sakurai's considerations as all he said on him was listing why he'd be impossible (guns + actor likeness + movie rights + Rare negotiations = No good!). The only thing we can really give James Bond is that Sakurai gave him a thought, but since said thought quickly dismissed the idea it didn't go any farther then that.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Scattered thoughts from the last few pages:

• I don't want anime/Goku anywhere near Smash. If they REALLY want to break the 4th-Party barrier... I'd almost be OK with James Bond simply because he was almost added in Melee and GoldenEye was such a huge part of the N64. Still, I'd rather we not go there.
  • For Pokemon reps, I just want someone interesting. If they come from Gen 1, cool. Gengar would be a cool addition in my books. I just don't want someone boring, regardless of Gen.
  • I hope the music tonight is from Xenoblade, not for any perceived hint at the contents of the Direct, but just because I love the music.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Look

I don't know Sakurai personally (surely none of us do), but I highly doubt he'd go as far to make a drastic choice such as deciding to include 4th party characters in smash.

Whenever Smash gets taken over by who ever gets to be the project leader next smash we might see I don't know who

Sakurai wouldn't ignore his own rules so drastically.

Again that's my perspective of Sakurai

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Chrom in Smash as a playable character...
nah

I know I'm a huge MGS fan but Hayter uses a different voice for solid and naked snake, also it's not just the head, all the alt costumes are from MGS3.

It's no coincidence the fighters name is just Snake and not Solid Snake
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Solid_Snake#In_Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

Says he’s Solid and talks about the similarities with Naked...Big Boss (Though it also says how Smash Snake is a fusion between both)...however...the real Snake wouldn’t lose his butt

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Generation 7 was objectively harder than most of the others. Generation 1 only seemed memorable and hard because we were young and stupid and the game didn't explain itself very well, while the internet wasn't really prominent enough to resolve the confusion. Generation 1 is a pathetically easy game that is also horribly built and programmed. It's so awful that I consider the series to have started with Generation 2, an infinite improvement. But to each his own.

Generation 7 was actually somewhat difficult in some parts because the AI trainers actually EV train their Pokemon and have smart AI overall, meaning that they put up more of a fight closer to a human player than previous games. All Pokemon games are naturally easy, but that's why Nuzlocke challenges and other self imposed rules exist.

Generation 7 deserves representation regardless. Remember that Generation 1 is currently packing 7 representatives, counting the Red/Leaf Pokemon trainer. Enough is enough. Three other generations of Pokemon games don't even have 1 fighter at this point.

Also what's this about modern FE being too easy? Too much fan service and anime, maybe, but easy? Did you play Conquest? That game on Lunatic is possibly the hardest the series has ever been.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
It's been years and I still can't wrap my head around the obsession of Goku in Smash. Goku has tons of games, TONS of games. DFBZ has like 22 Gokus, just play him in that. Heck, he's even gonna be in that ugly looking crossover Shonen Jump fighter that got announced at E3. Just because a character is popular doesn't mean they should instantly be granted access into Smash, since after Goku we're opening the floodgates for people to be begging for Batman or something and at that point please just make a Mii.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm going to be that guy...

Why aren't I seeing any debates for Sponge Bob or Paul Blart?
Spongebob's actually a meme choice with very few legit wants(where Goku is the opposite on that spectrum)... and who is Paul Blart again?

Just because one non-game character(maybe two, if you count James Bond) are legit wanted doesn't mean others are a big deal. Mickey Mouse, oddly enough, gets little talk despite the fact he would be a very popular choice too due to his major iconicness. Basically rivaling Goku's. Though honestly, the biggest ones who have legit popularity are Goku, Mickey Mouse, and James Bond. None of these 3 have a real chance, but they're also not memes at least.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

and as soon as we get "goku" it opens the doors for naruto and mickey mouse and everyone under the sun. already with third parties being in we potentially get stuff like heihachi and dont get anticipated nintendo characters like say ashley or waddle dee... not to talk too much about characters taking "slots" away from others but obviously the game only has so many newcomers and sakurai has to decide who he wants and with third parties in the game the grab bag of potential characters is bigger than it was with just nintendo characters so the chances of a character getting picked is smaller.

If you add "4th party" characters the chances we get third party icons suddenly diminishes due to now having general important "media" icons in the running as well, whos the bigger icon crash bandicoot or mickey mouse? suddenly mickey seems more of a priority than a huge video game character.

luckily i think sakurai knows this and wont ever let that flood gate in... this is my biggest fear if sakurai ever stops working on the smash series, we risk someone getting in charge and hearing the fan demand for every "liked" character in existence (goku) and caves in order to hype the game and drive sales and media coverage. while that will work in the short term the long terms effects it would have on smash would actually sour many fans love of the series and turn it into something completely different over time.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
A lot of people are mentioning music tracks they want to hear. People expecting there to be a music peace revealed tonight? I haven't been paying too much attention to patterns, if that's a conclusion some are coming to.

Either say, I'd love to hear a new Star Fox or Pokemon piece. Xenoblade Chronicles X had some great tracks that'd be cool to hear, too.

As for 4th Parties being in Smash, that would be the only 100% guaranteed way for me to drop Super Smash Bros. entirely. There's several factors that can build up and possibly result in me not buying Smash Ultimate, but the second they reveal Goku or some other 4th Party, I am out for good.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Is it weird I've now convinced myself that Eevee will be the new Pokemon Rep and will have their evolutional as alt costumes bowser jr style?

Obviously they won't be able to give let's say vaporeon water gun just a basic set of moves like tackle etc across the board to allow them to work as costumes.

I think it can be done and I don't think most people would be against the idea.

Failing that give me gengar please a ghost type is long overdue and he's the most iconic one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A lot of people are mentioning music tracks they want to hear. People expecting there to be a music peace revealed tonight? I haven't been paying too much attention to patterns, if that's a conclusion some are coming to.

Either say, I'd love to hear a new Star Fox or Pokemon piece. Xenoblade Chronicles X had some great tracks that'd be cool to hear, too.

As for 4th Parties being in Smash, that would be the only 100% guaranteed way for me to drop Super Smash Bros. entirely. There's several factors that can build up and possibly result in me not buying Smash Ultimate, but the second they reveal Goku or some other 4th Party, I am out for good.
Music tracks are usually revealed on Wednesday, but since Wednesday will likely have newcomer trailers as blog updates instead...

And yes I say updates plural cause I’m expecting at least two newcomer trailers

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly, dudes.
They're gonna reveal a character tomorrow that's outside of the same 4-ish characters everyone talks about in here on loop and I hope it happens.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Ugly Looking?
I think needlessly hyper realistic anime characters look awful yes, imagine if Ultimate tried to do what Brawl did in 2008 with gritty textures and showing Mario and Pac Man fighting in some washed out abandoned castle with blood everywhere. It'd just look silly.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Speaking of turkeys. I'm surprised that there isn't a Turkey Pokémon yet.

Almost as surprised as I am that there isn't a Dolphin Pokémon yet.
I actually though Ho-oh was supposed to be a turkey.......what is it a Peacock?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

But you got Wolf back. Could Goku really ruin that for you? Just beat up Goku/whatever 4th party rep with Wolf for some catharsis. It's what many people do with Bayonetta, myself included, just because she invalidates much of the cast and represents the very nature of "unfun" itself.

Iridium

Smash Hero

This is the song I will refer to if everything somehow goes horribly wrong, either for the fans, or the game itself.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
It does make me wonder why they chose the Melee grand finals instead of Smash 4. Tin foil hat time but I think it's because one of the character reveals will have "legs" and been on wishlists for nearly 20 years. There's a handful left and, if you're a Boomer on this board like me, you could easily rattle off several without hardly thinking about it.
Are you saying you're a Baby Boomer??

Also, I've been around since SSB64 and I'm not sure what characters you're referring to. Starting from before Melee, my wishlist would have been Sonic, Megaman, Bowser, Dr Robotnik, and others I can't even remember haha.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think needlessly hyper realistic anime characters look awful yes, imagine if Ultimate tried to do what Brawl did in 2008 with gritty textures and showing Mario and Pac Man fighting in some washed out abandoned castle with blood everywhere. It'd just look silly.
Well good thing there’s already Brawl HD mods for Smash 4, and unlike Mario/Pac-Man the anime characters still look...anime like in Jump Force Goku somewhat more than others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom