• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peachy!

super princess
I thought it came up a few pages ago that he never said “controversial,” he only said he didn’t have confirmation but it was a Gen 7 mon who wasn’t Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc.

Or did something else come up?

I have a tough time keeping up with all of these fake leaks...
Way before he mentioned a Pokémon newcomer, he said he had heard of a controversial character but he couldn't disclose whom as he was not 100% sure yet.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
He brought it up again and said the character was controversial only because it wasn't the "top 3" that people wanted, Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc. Not because the Pokemon itself is controversial on its own.
Crabomniable confirmed. Best Gen VII design, don't @ me

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If there is some kind of third party in the base game yet to be announced, be it Simon or maybe Banjo assuming Verge was right about Minecraft andf that meant their inclusion,perhaps they'd bring it up sooner than later as their "interesting big third party character selling point". That or some bombshell of a character like Ridley to build up the hype, not waiting until near or post release like it was a character of less importance, such as post-release trailers for Duck Hunt and Bows Jr.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I personally don't want to come across anything they might have to say about what might be revealed in the direct because that would make it less exciting. I remember being waaay less hype for things when I realized they were leaked a few days before during the Smash 4 speculation season and they're seeming to be the most "credible" so far.
And I could stay off of Smash Boards, but really the reason I want them to stay quiet because I'm not the only one who feels like a direct leak would take alllll the wind out of the hype sails.
I agree (though I'll stay on here because I have no willpower), but remember; even if you are spoiled, nothing else would effect the enjoyment you'll get from the new content.
At least, leaks can't spoil awesome reveal trailers.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I agree (though I'll stay on here because I have no willpower), but remember; even if you are spoiled, nothing else would effect the enjoyment you'll get from the new content.
At least, leaks can't spoil awesome reveal trailers.
You don't need to remind me haha, but the direct will definitely have way more momentum if we weren't given a rude content warning beforehand from the leak brothers.

Trailers will always be hypey anyway yeah I agree. But thrice as hypey if we didn't know the character beforehand.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think tomorrow we won't see the 66th fighter. Sakurai will play with us until the game is launched...
Not a chance. They purposely announced it during the biggest fighting game tournament of the year that they knew tens of thousands of hardcore Smash fans would be watching. If anything, one of the characters revealed will no doubt be someone that appeals to hardcore Smash fans. This was very deliberate and I don't think Nintendo would be stupid to betray our basic expectations of more characters.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
so my late Direct predictions:

-A reveal to end the trailer.
-Possibly one to start off with. If not, maybe another echo dropped off in the middle of it instead.
-Stage showcase: showing E3 stages more in detail, the Odyssey stage, the stage that comes with a newcomer (if from a new series or has no home stage), and some unseen stages - Fountain of Dreams, Delfino Plaza (officially), Pirate Ship, and Brinstar Depths my guesses.
-Assist trophy montage, sponsored by Salt.
-Item showcase: older ones and new ones introduced. I am also saying the dreaded FAN will return.
-Game mode or two. A brand new one and Smash Run's return with tweaks.

Those are the things that make the most sense to me.

KMDP

Smash Legend
No, no, I mean, they'll skip the 66th fighter and they'll show at least one or two newcomers (67th and 68th)
But the numbers are in order of reveal.

They literally cannot skip the 66th Fighter, because then the 67th Fighter would become 66th.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You don't need to remind me haha, but the direct will definitely have way more momentum if we weren't given a rude content warning beforehand from the leak brothers.

Trailers will always be hypey anyway yeah I agree. But thrice as hypey if we didn't know the character beforehand.
I’ve always been of two minds here. Mainly if it’s a character you like, then you just get mega hyped. But if it’s someone you don’t care much about, then there’s a lot of ‘ugh, why.’

I still haven’t decided if I want to watch or read the spoilers first. E3 I waited until after, but that didn’t stop me from being hyped. Then again, I didn’t read everything before, so I knew Ridley and the Trainer were back - but I was surprised by everyone else.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Not a chance. They purposely announced it during the biggest fighting game tournament of the year that they knew tens of thousands of hardcore Smash fans would be watching. If anything, one of the characters revealed will no doubt be someone that appeals to hardcore Smash fans. This was very deliberate and I don't think Nintendo would be stupid to betray our basic expectations of more characters.
That's what I'm saying!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Please just give us Decidueye. If we get another Gen 1 mon I'll actually scream. :laugh:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I still think one of two things will happen tomorrow:
- Two fighters are revealed. Not including an echo.
- One fighter is revealed, and the direct closes out with Demo news.

You can quote me on this, I feel pretty damn sure about it. It's perfect time to mention something about a demo, but if not, I see them opening and closing with a character.

Feel free to rub it in my face when I'm inevitably wrong, haha. I won't hold it against you. I expect it. That is how sure I am about this.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
*gasp*

Murlough, are you okay?
I will (semi)gladly take the lesser of two evils.

Like, Decidueye would leave me sad. I can take sad. That won't last long.

Skipping Gen 7 will leave me furious.

So yeah if I had to pick give me that green turkey.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
He brought it up again and said the character was controversial only because it wasn't the "top 3" that people wanted, Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc. Not because the Pokemon itself is controversial on its own.
If it ain't going to be any of those three, I really hope they went for Buzzwole.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If it ain't going to be any of those three, I really hope they went for Buzzwole.
You know damn well Buzzwole would be the best timeline, and we are not in the best timeline.

If we get Buzzwole, I will accept that the rest of the game will have nothing but incredibly hype reveals for the rest of its development cycle.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Speaking of turkeys. I'm surprised that there isn't a Turkey Pokémon yet.

Almost as surprised as I am that there isn't a Dolphin Pokémon yet.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Wow, so I guess all I missed was a ton of Goku speculation haha. I have to say I find it slightly humorous how this forum fights against Goku using the same 'purity' argument that has been used against 3rd parties for years, despite 'Nintendo purists' getting treated like we're ruining the game.

My take on Smashboards in general: we're really strattling the edge of where purity matters unfortunately. We have so many 3rd parties and Cloud and Snake get dangerously close to breaking the Nintendo connection that everyone says is a fan rule. Once that's definitively broken with Steve, Kat, Master Cheif, etc, I can't see how one can argue against Goku anymore for purity reasons. Especially it they supported the previous moves that broke purity down in the first place.

My take on Goku: Seems Goku supporters are completely cool with Smash Bros literally not being about anything, but I still always prefer some consistency and theming in things. I love me a horror movie marathon with mediocre movies more than a rom-com followed by horror followed by comedy followed by drama with all amazing movies. If you like a grab-bag without unity, that's perfectly fine. Just don't be offended most want at least some semblance of theme or meaning.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god, i think i might know who this controversial character is!
I think it's going to be... another Gen 1 Pokemon, i mean think about it, Generation 1 has 4 reps already & Pokemon Company is pushing Gen 1 hard with the Let's Go games.
If not then it could easily be another Fire Emblem character.
I think bringing back Pokemon Trainer was enough. Eevee doesn't have a ton of moveset potential on it's own and no other Gen 1 pokemon really makes sense. One of the most viable ones I can think of is Snorlax and they're already confirmed to be a pokeball.

Naganadel would be a funny addition. We have one purple dragon now, why not 2?

In reality, if Mimikyu, Decidueye and Lycanroc are off the table, I think we're likely to get one of the following

- Kartana
- Pheromosa
- Buzzwole
- Silvally
- Incineroar
- Golisopod
- Tapu-koko
- Marshadow
- Zygarde-complete

Zeraora's a little too new, otherwise it'd probably be a front-runner as much as I don't really want it in the game. I'd much rather see one of the heavier pokemon listed above, particularly Golisopod and Zygarde.

Okay, I can easily take your tone and say "Goku is a cancer meme just like Shrek, and Steve is from an incredibly popular video game."

Worse case scenario in my opinion would be Goku, because as far as we know, bringing in non video game characters is supposed to be impossible, so that would change the whole concept of the series.
Honestly, I feel like every 3rd party other than Megaman and Sonic, but especially Cloud, have already broken most of the barriers to entry that Smash was supposed to have. After a while you just sort of get accustomed to it. I can't say I'd be excited to see Smash turn into "Nintendo vs Shonen Jump" or something, but I wouldn't be excited to see Smash turn into "Nintendo vs Capcom" either, and I think Sakurai knows better than to lose sight of what makes Smash what it is.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It does make me wonder why they chose the Melee grand finals instead of Smash 4. Tin foil hat time but I think it's because one of the character reveals will have "legs" and been on wishlists for nearly 20 years. There's a handful left and, if you're a Boomer on this board like me, you could easily rattle off several without hardly thinking about it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if I'm ready for this. We'll see.

I think EVO was just a convenient recent event related to Smash. We'll see.
That's what I'm saying!
I mean, this is exemplary of how much Nintendo prefers to use its own methods, in this case a low-key invitation to a private party rather than boastfully showing its hand to everyone.

It does make me wonder why they chose the Melee grand finals instead of Smash 4. Tin foil hat time but I think it's because one of the character reveals will have "legs" and been on wishlists for nearly 20 years. There's a handful left and, if you're a Boomer on this board like me, you could easily rattle off several without hardly thinking about it.
Legs, huh. I can think of a few.

• Tails (because of that April Fools)
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Mach Rider (technically speaking, since he'd mostly use a motorcycle)
  • Plum (hey, I can dream!)
  • Rick, Gooey and Co. (unlikely, but at least some of those had trophies back then)

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I feel like I'm one of the few that gets more tense when it comes to Smash presentations. Ever since Cloud's reveal, I get more stressed as the presentation gets closer, rather than hyped. I'm going into this presentation assuming the worst will happen. Helps save me from being too disappointed.

Still hoping to learn more of the game, other than characters. I want to know what stages we haven't seen are returning, more new stages, what characters are deconfirmed already, what new single player modes there are, etc.

Untouch

Smash Master
The only character out of the initial 8 that wasn't playable in the demo was Yoshi, Yoshi also is likely going to have a new FS (all of the controllable FS have been revamped so far) and we haven't seen it.
I mean this is likely just because it isn't finished and tested, but what if that could be spoiler related, maybe something related to Kamek?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Once that's definitively broken with Steve, Kat, Master Cheif, etc, I can't see how one can argue against Goku anymore for purity reasons. Especially it they supported the previous moves that broke purity down in the first place.
Goku is not a video game character though...

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Today's blog post:

Seems like a foreshadowing for Nintendo dropping a bomb during tomorrow's Direct...

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Vege guy said a controversial fighter?

Hmmmm I have a gut feeling it's going to Goku, James Bond, or s Tekken Rep. I feel like those are the most realistic picks that may cause controversy.

Something like Tetris block yeah would be really cool but I don't see it happening. Way too far fetched.

A gen 1 Rep would be so cool though. Hitnomchan as a little Mac echo fighter is the most likely imo.

Ugh no Eevee please we already got a boring normal type Pokemon with Jigglypuff He gets the novelty cute factor.

Gyrados would be cool, Dragonite would be perfect, Alakazam works, and Gengar would be my preferred pick for Gen 1 representation.

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Dumb question but where is the direct streamed? YouTube? Twitch? A Nintendo site? Never actually sat down and watched one live.

Don't really care what newcomers we get (as long as it isn't Steve or Dova. No offense to supporters intended, just not characters I want in Smash personally), but I would really like some sort of Great Cave Offensive type mode similar to SSE in gameplay. SM4SH was kinda lacking in single player content for me, and I'd like something like that with maybe a character-specific cutscene at the end.

And I think it'd be great for said mode to be the method for unlocks. Maybe randomize the layout and enemy placements each time. Have chests with music, custom moves, mii costumes, coins, trophies, etc. Have other characters show up for fights, maybe make a couple non-character bosses. Do certain things in the mode to unlock characters who you fight after the ending cutscene, or just have them in secret rooms/areas.

Also I would love to have Smash Run revealed. I love Kirby's Air Ride City Trial mode it's based on, and I never got the 3DS version to experience it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
>blog update is a Kirby item

Please dear God I hope this is a sign of Bandana Dee being revealed

All I need now is a Xenoblade music posted tonight, ideally a track composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, and I can rest easy

lemme dream ok

QUESTION

What would your reaction be if ***** were to be revealed in the direct?
Nah, he’d just be an echo of ****. :troll:

Besides if anyone TRULY deserves to get in, it’s Updog

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Please just give us Decidueye. If we get another Gen 1 mon I'll actually scream. :laugh:

This , never felt I had to choose between Decideueye and Mimikyu. They're both cute ghosties and are my two favorite Pokemon from Sun & Moon, I just like Mimikyu more.

But skipping Gen 7, for ANOTHER Gen 1 Pokemon would make me furious. (And for all those Gengar supporters, even though I love ghosts Gengar is one of my least favorite of the ghost types, sorry not sorry).

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
People would be fine with Goku on Smash boards as long as they get K.K Rool. The roster would pretty much be complete. I see Goku as obvious DLC if he ever got in because he would definitely be considered "dessert" for many. I know casuals would go insane.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
***** Balls From The Legend Of ****

People would be fine with Goku on Smash boards as long as they get K.K Rool. The roster would pretty much be complete. I see Goku as obvious DLC if he ever got in because he would definitely be considered "dessert" for many. I know casuals would go insane.
I half don't think we'll be getting DLC characters and the other half of me thinks that if we do they'll be like packs of echos or something lol

They haven't started thinking about those yet so who knows

D

Deleted member

Dumb question but where is the direct streamed? YouTube? Twitch? A Nintendo site? Never actually sat down and watched one live.
Nintendo's Twitch channel definitely streams it, and I'd assume their youtube channel does it as well. Just go to their Twitch first as it's the obviously better choice for live stream viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom