• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
She got fans, potential (even for spinoffs, not only for Smash), promotion and cuteness. Beign a fighter won't be a surprise.
Is is that time of the month to remind people?
(you).png

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Falco is basically the "P2/Rival" of Star Fox just like Meta Knight is Kirby's rival, not antagonist.

Mario basically gets a free pass along with Pokemon since they're Nintendo's 2 biggest franchises.

And you can't really have the Triforce trio without Zelda... and even then, Zelda HAS been playable in games in the past.

The only one who sticks out is Sheik, and well, Sheik is Zelda.
You just keep making up new reasons for characters to be in, but the truth is that Smash kind of is a popularity contest, if half of the current roster didn't have any popularity then they wouldn't be in the game. The ballot had to have existed for a reason.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
This will probably make the entire thread hate me, but I honestly think it would be cool to see Jeanne as an echo for Bayonetta.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Let's just hope that Gold's potential success can raise interest in trying a Wario Land again, if Good-Feel gets freed up from Yoshi games later on.

Though I'll still buy up any entries that are on the 3DS VC anyway.

That said, I hope that composer got demoted.
Yeah Wario Land Shake it is one of my favorite games like ever, it's soooo good. But I gotta say I don't like Good-Feel doing Yoshi games either, I didn't really care for Yoshi's Wooly World, unlike Kirby's Epic Yarn which I absolutely adore.

But then again, I'd rather have Good-Feel handle Yoshi than Arzest doing... well, anything at all. Yoshi's New Island might just very well be one of the worst "big name" Nintendo games I've ever played. And when I learned that they were doing Hey Pikmin, I just steered away from that game as much as I could.

Last edited:
So...

I'd like you all to rate how likely each of the following events for the direct are...

1. One unique newcomer is revealed.
2. Two unique newcomers are revealed.
3. Three unique newcomers are revealed.
4. One new echo fighter is revealed.
5. Two new echo fighters are revealed.
6. Three new echo fighters are revealed.
7. A new third party character is revealed.
8. Adventure mode is revealed.
9. Classic mode is revealed.
10. Event mode is revealed.
11. Target Test is back.
12. Smash Run is back.
13. Smash Tour is back.
14. Target blast is back.
15. A new mode is revealed.
1: If we DON'T get a new character, I will eat my genitals.
2: Would be nice, but I just can't see it.
3: Definetly not happening.
4: Plausible. Hope if we do get an echo, it's someone like Shadow or Dark Samus so that the stupid echo debates will slow down a bit.
5: Also plausible, but not as much.
6: Yeah..... no. Honestly, I think most of the remaining echos will not be revealed by the dev team and it will be up to us to find them.
7: 50/50.
8: That would be dank, but I doubt they'd reveal it this early.
9: Would be cool. They will probably focus more on single player content, since newcomer space is limited.
10: No way they aren't returning, but I don't think this direct will focus on them.
11: YES
12: Also YES.
13: EWWWW. Keep this cancer far away from Smash.
14: Same as above.
15: Maybe?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You just keep making up new reasons for characters to be in, but the truth is that Smash kind of is a popularity contest, if half of the current roster didn't have any popularity then they wouldn't be in the game. The ballot had to have existed for a reason.
"Making up new reasons"

Not... really no. Falco is Fox's rival even in 64, going all up to the more recent Star Fox games, even Command, which has been deemed non-canon, played heavily into Fox and Falco's rivalry.

Mario is literally at the bottom of the barrel for characters. After Smash4, who could they even add? Daisy and Waluigi, aside from Toad, are pretty much the only choices left unless you want to dip your toes into stuff like Metal Mario, Dry Bowser or Pink Gold Peach...or Birdo.... Please god, not Birdo.

And Pokemon's Pokemon. Pokemon's roster is heavily built on what the Pokemon Company itself wants to see to promote their series. This much is known.

And as for the ballot.........

Yeah, after the Bayo leak, I don't put a lot of stock into the ballot. I'll believe that they probably are using it for this game maybe, but it didn't do a damn thing in Smash 4. Bayonetta was going to win regardless.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Jimmy T Assist Trophy:
He starts dancing on stage and anyone who gets near gets locked into a dancing animation.
Yes, everyone will get a dancing animation and no I don't care about your "BUT DEVELOPMENT TIME" arguments because the rule of cool™ supersedes temporal logic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dude they almost got to rename a Mountain Dew flavour to "Hitler did nothing wrong"
Yeah, so? Of course you could manipulate online polls like that, it's not really that big of a deal when you could either reject the name or just take down the poll. Don't treat it like it's such a big bad place.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Jimmy T Assist Trophy:
He starts dancing on stage and anyone who gets near gets locked into a dancing animation.
Yes, everyone will get a dancing animation and no I don't care about your "BUT DEVELOPMENT TIME" arguments because the rule of cool™ supersedes temporal logic.
I mean, they took their time to give everyone ladder attacks so why not.

I'd like to see Jimmy T and Mona appear as Assist Trophies at least if anything.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
PlayerOneTyler PlayerOneTyler tends to bring up Jimmy T over Ashley

And honestly

I'm super down for that. I like Ashley but I think I like Jimmy T more looool
YES. Captain Falcon echo let's go! (cc: Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa )

But, yeah. I never vocalized my general "bleh-ness" for Ashley because I knew she had a lot of fans here, but whoop there it is! I mean, I think Ashley is the most likely Wario newcomer (if any), but I would totally be 100% on board with Jimmy T over her.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd be inclined to agree if it weren't for the fact that Ashley's been pushed way more than Mona or Jimmy. Seniority doesn't matter when Nintendo clearly sees Ashley as a more marketable character. 3DS themes, Badge arcade, Mario Maker costume, her own Mini-game (The only 3D model in the game), cross-promotional tie-ins with other games. This doesn't seem like much but for a side character of a spin off series it's pretty substantial. She's second only to Wario himself at this point. No disrespect to Mona or Jimmy T, but if any other Warioware character gets in it's gonna be Ashley, no question. And I eagerly await her reveal.
For the record, I'm not saying Ashley isn't extremely popular. I'm well aware of the numerous forms of advertising she's appeared in, and I know she'd be very easy to market.

I just think it would be extremely weird (and almost unfair) to skip over all of the original WarioWare characters and add Ashley when she really isn't any more important in the games than the rest of the cast. Jimmy and Mona have been in these games since the very beginning, and while they can't even dream of reaching Ashley's popularity, I feel like both of them are better suited to represent the wacky randomness of the WarioWare series than Ashley.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Jimmy T Assist Trophy:
Why not add the dancing cats into it? Anyone that gets near the cats will get around 5-8% damage after they finish attacking

Shinkun13

Smash Rookie
So...

I'd like you all to rate how likely each of the following events for the direct are...

1. One unique newcomer is revealed.
2. Two unique newcomers are revealed.
3. Three unique newcomers are revealed.
4. One new echo fighter is revealed.
5. Two new echo fighters are revealed.
6. Three new echo fighters are revealed.
7. A new third party character is revealed.
8. Adventure mode is revealed.
9. Classic mode is revealed.
10. Event mode is revealed.
11. Target Test is back.
12. Smash Run is back.
13. Smash Tour is back.
14. Target blast is back.
15. A new mode is revealed.
1. 90% If they don't reveal any newcomer in this direct, it'll be because the great majority of the new characters are echo fighters, and I don't think so.
2. 25% I don't think they'll show more than a newcomer, but there is a chance.
3. 0% I don't think three newcomers are revealed in this Direct.
4. 90% I think they'll show at least a new echo fighter.
5. 50% They could reveal two, and I hope so.
6. 20% I think it's too much echo fighter to reveal now.
7. 50% Maybe, but I'd rather this character to be secret.
8-10. 80% At least the new screen in each mode.
11-13. 0%. I don't think so.
14. 100% I like Target Blast, and I think it'll be back.
15. 50% Maybe they'll show in this direct, or they prefer to show in the next direct, but I think it's a bit obvious that there'll be a new mode.

Noipoi

Howdy!
For the record, I'm not saying Ashley isn't extremely popular. I'm well aware of the numerous forms of advertising she's appeared in, and I know she'd be very easy to market.

I just think it would be extremely weird (and almost unfair) to skip over all of the original WarioWare characters and add Ashley when she really isn't any more important in the games than the rest of the cast. Jimmy and Mona have been in these games since the very beginning, and while they can't even dream of reaching Ashley's popularity, I feel like both of them are better suited to represent the wacky randomness of the WarioWare series than Ashley.
I suppose that's fair. Sorry for overdoing it, iv'e just been in "ASHLEY DEFENSE MODE" all day :laugh:.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Mario is literally at the bottom of the barrel for characters. After Smash4, who could they even add? Daisy and Waluigi, aside from Toad, are pretty much the only choices left unless you want to dip your toes into stuff like Metal Mario, Dry Bowser or Pink Gold Peach...or Birdo.... Please god, not Birdo.
To me, Cpt. Toad, and maybe Pauline (the first lady) are the biggest Mario picks left. Geno is a maybe, but he's a special case anyway. As long as they don't put in random enemies afterwards, regardless of how good they'd look with Smash renders.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
So a good japanese time huh? I believe Ashley and K.Rool were very popular there among others that I probably don't even know. But that line about red eyes and not being a vampire screams Ashley to me, even though I know Sakurai doesn't do this kind of stuff. I still think we're getting Simon Belmont this Wednesday.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Things Ashley has going for her:
-Extremely popular.
-Unique aesthetic/personality
Things Ashley has going against her:
-Lack of importance in games she appears in (though with a game like warioware, they all kinda are minor characters in their own game, even Wario himself)
-Lack of animations to draw from. (Warioware is a game that focuses more on the microgames than normal gameplay)

With this in mind, if Ashley gets in, it's probably gonna be because "Oh yeah, everyone loves her." over logic like "Well duh, that was an obvious pick."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Which part of 'a character created to being loved' is wrong with that?
I'm an Ashley supporter and well awared of that.
It's just a meme I made months ago dude, chillax.

I mean, they took their time to give everyone ladder attacks so why not.

I'd like to see Jimmy T and Mona appear as Assist Trophies at least if anything.
It's funny that 9-Volt has his own dedicated stage and Ashley became an Assist, but the poor forefront lads of the series get nothing.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
They dont have to explain why shes there lol all they have to say is something like
"The beloved and fanfavorite little witch next store has finally come to smash as a playable fighter! Shes ranked up a bit from her last appearance as an assist trophy and is now ready to cast her hexes and spells on her opponents in smash!" or something like that

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Every time I make a bet against something it happens. So the one thing stopping me from eating a shoe (when the leaker said that Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake were coming back along with Simon) is Simon being announced. I'm going to now bet that Simon WILL be revealed tomorrow, that way he WON'T!! :)

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
For a long time, I've felt that Ashley is in a very similar situation to Geno in that both of them really haven't done anything notable enough in their own series to warrant inclusion in Smash Bros. If either gets into the game, it's because the fans wanted it.

Now the big difference is Ashley isn't owned by a separate company and she's still relevant.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As much as I'd be okay with Ashley, there's just one thing about her that doesn't sit well with me to be honest.

That being that if she got in, it'd be moreso due to popularity than actually being important to her own franchise.

Outside of Pokemon and Mario, since those games just 'get' free passes in Smash, there really aren't any characters in Smash who are either:

A: Not a playable character
B: Not a P2/Rival character
C: Not an antagonist

Ashley isn't... really any of these. She's no more important than Mona or Jimmy T. to WarioWare,

I'm fine with her getting in, trust me, but she'd honestly be a 'one of a kind' situation, where she's not a protagonist, an antagonist, nor a rival, and most likely in due to fan demand.
More or less, really. Having to see all sorts characters me and various others wanted to see, whom were also on this similar arguments of "popular", were just pushed aside by Sakurai all these years (Toad, Waluigi, most Zelda-reps that became Assists, etc)

So what'd make Ashley be a worthy exception to the rule so far? I think we'd just end up seeing the fanbase just scream "Sakurai-bias" when they try to really find objective reasons to add her over characters who might have even more going for them if using same arguments as Ashley up to this point, if not even more - but are sadly shafted on about. Basically Ashley would be getting lucky that she's not being seen as an NPC fodder like Toad or Waluigi, hated by the fanbase like Tingle apparently, etc.

I mean, probably they could craft an amazing concept for a moveset for her overall, but if this just all to justify her immense popularity as a start all alone like her current support is going, it'd feel kind of aggravating for other fanbases to swallow for not having someone as immensely appealing as Ashley.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Is it weird that I don't want Incineroar almost entirely on the basis that I think that its name is awful?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
"Making up new reasons"

Not... really no. Falco is Fox's rival even in 64, going all up to the more recent Star Fox games, even Command, which has been deemed non-canon, played heavily into Fox and Falco's rivalry.

And Pokemon's Pokemon. Pokemon's roster is heavily built on what the Pokemon Company itself wants to see to promote their series. This much is known.

And as for the ballot.........

Yeah, after the Bayo leak, I don't put a lot of stock into the ballot. I'll believe that they probably are using it for this game maybe, but it didn't do a damn thing in Smash 4. Bayonetta was going to win regardless.
Hey, you dissin my girl Birdo?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's just a meme I made months ago dude, chillax.

It's funny that 9-Volt has his own dedicated stage and Ashley became an Assist, but the poor forefront lads of the series get nothing.
I mean being fair, at least Mona had her theme song remixed back in Brawl and Kat & Ana where the first Assist Trophies. Jimmy T unfortunately got the short end of the stick though (Please at least bring the Body Rock theme in Smash Sakurai)

Speaking of 9-Volt, I'm surprised he isn't more popular since I'm sure his Microgames are usually the most popular in the Wario Ware series.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Alright but consider this:
Ashley being a Captain Falcon clone
Quite honestly, I don't think this is possible. Given the size differences, a lot of her animations would have to stretch her arms and legs to make them have similar reach. Also, this is totally discrediting all of Ashley's unique abilities. Besides, it's out of character for Ashley to pawnch. She is a witch, so she would cast spells.

I honestly don't see where you were getting at with this question and you ought to be ashamed of yourself for asking. Don't you agree?

And if you say no, you're toast.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would like to see every WarioWare character in 3D like Ashley in Smash 4 for Smash Ultimate. That would be a neat novelty.

Scratch that, I would love to see every major Ko Takeuchi character in 3D, including Rhythm Heaven characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Gee Captain Falcon, how come your mom lets you have two clones?"
"Look up to your idols and never give up."
Captain Falcon then daydreams about being as cool as Marth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom