• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I want to ask a question. What music tracks in Nintendo history have shown themselves to be terrible? That may be hard to find, but I want to hear anything, if you can post a video here.
Sniff, it's so beautiful...

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Friggin nap...missed so much.

Anyway, it’s smart to keep expectations low even after getting Ridley of all people at E3.

Don’t forget we also had a crap load of popular requests already getting the AT boot at the same time. (Krystal, Takamaru, Lyn, Bomberman, and our Wah lord.)

So you better be prepared for that as well, someone you desire will get canned.

We’ll be lucky to get an Echo reveal at all but knowing Sakurai, it’s unlikely we won’t get a newcomer reveal at the end like always.

So I’m betting on either Springman, Bandana Dee, or Pokemon newcomer.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And this is something I wish more people would bring up. I love Ashley. She's easily one of my favorite WarioWare characters, and I know she's extremely popular. But that's the thing. Once you take away popularity, she's just one of the members of the WarioWare crew. She doesn't get any special promotion outside of Japan-exclusive advertising, and overall, her importance is equal to every other character aside from Wario (except for maybe Jimmy or Mona due to those two almost always being the first two characters).

Personally, I'm fine with Wario being the only rep for WarioWare, but if I absolutely had to add someone else, I'd go with Jimmy or Mona, give them a moveset revolving around some of their microgames from over the years, and follow up with other popular characters like 9-Volt or Ashley.
Yeah, seniority from Jimmy and Mona is her main obstacle, on top of all that.

In a strange way, this means that Syrup actually has more of a chance, since she is an antagonist. Problem is Wario Land hasn't gotten any lip service in years, so the Wario series overall in Smash is a Schrodinger's Cat in terms of getting new characters; both likely and unlikely to get any other ones until further notice.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
As much as I don't wanna come off as an ***, after speculating inclusions since Brawl, most of these points have been brought up for countless characters in the past and were meaningless.
I used to feel as you do, but I'm still currently of the opinion this game is focused more on the fans than past titles. But I need the next character reveal to say for certain. If it's a gen 7 pokemon or Elma or a big but not exactly heavily requested third party like Heihachi, then I'll go back to saying the dark horses aren't getting in. Until then, these are the best circumstances for characters like this there's been yet.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I hate that you wrote this because I'm one of Ashley's desperate supporters so stuff like this makes me needlessly giddy and excited.

Please stop being good at writing forum posts, thanks. >:(
If Ashley is revealed, it'll be unrelated to Sakurai having eye strain from working too hard. I assure you.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I still remember when people called Primids "ModeA" because of their filename.

God it's been a long time hasn't it.
How many people here remember Mizzo?

I've always wondered what it was meant to do, but we never got an answer.

Mizzo for Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And this is something I wish more people would bring up. I love Ashley. She's easily one of my favorite WarioWare characters, and I know she's extremely popular. But that's the thing. Once you take away popularity, she's just one of the members of the WarioWare crew. She doesn't get any special promotion outside of Japan-exclusive advertising, and overall, her importance is equal to every other character aside from Wario (except for maybe Jimmy or Mona due to those two almost always being the first two characters).

Personally, I'm fine with Wario being the only rep for WarioWare, but if I absolutely had to add someone else, I'd go with Jimmy or Mona, give them a moveset revolving around some of their microgames from over the years, and follow up with other popular characters like 9-Volt or Ashley.

It just wouldn't feel right to me if the only two reps were Wario and Ashley. Of course, that's mainly because I've played the games since the original. Ashley is comparatively new when you look at the rest of the cast.
Yeah Ashley before Mona or Jimmy T never sat quite well with me as they always felt more like the right hand buds of Wario in Wario Ware,
It's kind of like getting Rosalina before Peach and Luigi in Smash or something but oh well.
If she's in the game, I'll be happy for her supporters though.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

It just wouldn't feel right to me if the only two reps were Wario and Ashley. Of course, that's mainly because I've played the games since the original. Ashley is comparatively new when you look at the rest of the cast.
I've been with WarioWare since the game first released too and I must say I strongly disagree. Ashley is definitely almost more of the face of WarioWare than Wario himself, saying that she's in line with Jimmy and Mona when she gets multiple 3DS themes, multiple sets of badges in the arcade and so on is being very narrow minded. She has a minigame of her own on WarioWare Gold, the only character to do so. Her mode in Game & Wario was also simply called "Ashley", again, the only one with that attribute.

If WarioWare were ever to get a second rep, it would be without a doubt Ashley as her popularity and relevance very greatly surpasses every single other character inside and outside of her own series.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If K. Rool is shown as an AT then I hope to God we don't get another Waluigi scenario where people start harassing Sakurai on Twitter.

I'd like to think us K. Rool supporters are above that...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
If this has been brought up already disregard, but I believe when Sakurai said the whole better for Japan comment I think he was reffering to the E3 direct. That one was at 1 am in Japan, this one is at 11 pm, a slight improvement considering they were both school/work nights. I'm not super aware of Japanese culture but I'd assume 11 pm is still considered better than 1 am on a work night.

I believe this is all that comment was reffering to. Find me a time where Sakurai hinted towards a character via a tweet and I'll change my mind.

(Also...if it was a Japan specific character couldn't he do a 7-8 pm reveal like he's done in the past for Shulk's reveal or the Fire Emblem characters? Once again not veresed in Japanese culture so maybe 11 pm is more their prime time...)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If K. Rool is shown as an AT then I hope to God we don't get another Waluigi scenario where people start harassing Sakurai on Twitter.

The Waluigi scenario was one person and another guy in the back supporting him.
K. Rool couldn't get any worse if it happened to him because again, just one extremist would likely do some stupid stuff but otherwise nothing else.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I know I hate the representation factor and I wouldn’t care if she got in plus with Gold just recently coming out but it would be weird to have Wario of all series being prioritized a new character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
PlayerOneTyler PlayerOneTyler tends to bring up Jimmy T over Ashley

And honestly

I'm super down for that. I like Ashley but I think I like Jimmy T more looool
I don't argue it but I think Jimmy T is a way better choice than Ashley. I also like both his voice and design.
I wouldn't mind him being an AT but the Squid Sisters pretty much took away what he could've done.

Shroob

Sup?
The Waluigi scenario was one person and another guy in the back supporting him.
K. Rool couldn't get any worse if it happened to him because again, just one extremist would likely do some stupid stuff but otherwise nothing else.
/v/ would disagree with you on that one

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So...

I'd like you all to rate how likely each of the following events for the direct are...

1. One unique newcomer is revealed.
2. Two unique newcomers are revealed.
3. Three unique newcomers are revealed.
4. One new echo fighter is revealed.
5. Two new echo fighters are revealed.
6. Three new echo fighters are revealed.
7. A new third party character is revealed.
8. Adventure mode is revealed.
9. Classic mode is revealed.
10. Event mode is revealed.
11. Target Test is back.
12. Smash Run is back.
13. Smash Tour is back.
14. Target blast is back.
15. A new mode is revealed.
Extremely likely - 99%
Very likely - 70%
Unlikely - 30%
Extremely likely - 90%
Not likely - 50%
Extremely unlikely - 5%
Gamble but I'm gonna go with 50%
Would be nice - 60%
I think this is going to be revealed - 90%
Unsure if they will focus on events - 30%
Target Test is gonna be back and a brief clip so I'd say 60%
Eww but they'll probably show off new upgrades - 50%
Please no 10%
I don't remember this one lol

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I've been with WarioWare since the game first released too and I must say I strongly disagree. Ashley is definitely almost more of the face of WarioWare than Wario himself, saying that she's in line with Jimmy and Mona when she gets multiple 3DS themes, multiple sets of badges in the arcade and so on is being very narrow minded. She has a minigame of her own on WarioWare Gold, the only character to do so. Her mode in Game & Wario was also simply called "Ashley", again, the only one with that attribute.

If WarioWare were ever to get a second rep, it would be without a doubt Ashley as her popularity and relevance very greatly surpasses every single other character inside and outside of her own series.
Imma keep it real with ya chief

no.

I mean, you're literally comparing her to ****ing WARIO

Noipoi

Howdy!

I'd be inclined to agree if it weren't for the fact that Ashley's been pushed way more than Mona or Jimmy. Seniority doesn't matter when Nintendo clearly sees Ashley as a more marketable character. 3DS themes, Badge arcade, Mario Maker costume, her own Mini-game (The only 3D model in the game), cross-promotional tie-ins with other games. This doesn't seem like much but for a side character of a spin off series it's pretty substantial. She's second only to Wario himself at this point. No disrespect to Mona or Jimmy T, but if any other Warioware character gets in it's gonna be Ashley, no question.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I hope people realize that we're still so early in this game's pre-release period that no matter which newcomer we get there's no reason to be demotivated, there's plenty of time left for your favorite(s) to be revealed, and likely even more Smash Directs in the pipeline than just this one. Of course disconfirmations will likely happen, and they will hurt, but whichever newcomer we get won't have any relation to that.

I'm just super excited to see what else this game has in store for us no matter what we get, and I'm also eager for speculation to move on too as it's been at a standstill for a while now. As heartless as it might sound I'm even looking forward to seeing who'll be disconfirmed, just so we can narrow things down a bit.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As much as I'd be okay with Ashley, there's just one thing about her that doesn't sit well with me to be honest.

That being that if she got in, it'd be moreso due to popularity than actually being important to her own franchise.

Outside of Pokemon and Mario, since those games just 'get' free passes in Smash, there really aren't any characters in Smash who are either:

A: Not a playable character
B: Not a P2/Rival character
C: Not an antagonist

Ashley isn't... really any of these. She's no more important than Mona or Jimmy T. to WarioWare,

I'm fine with her getting in, trust me, but she'd honestly be a 'one of a kind' situation, where she's not a protagonist, an antagonist, nor a rival, and most likely in due to fan demand.
Technically speaking, doesn’t Ashley count as a protagonist? It’s just that she, like the other stars of Warioware aside from Wario himself, is only the protagonist of her own little section of the game.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Imma keep it real with ya chief

no.

I mean, you're literally comparing her to ****ing WARIO
If we isolate it entirely to WarioWare? Yeah, I am. Wario is much more well known of course he's in a ton of games, but she is the single most popular original character of that franchise. It's kinda absurd to deny so.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Man, this kinda sucks, cause I want the Ashley supporters to be happy, and I want Ashley in, but damn if I don't like the idea of Jimmy T more.

I don't care much for Mona being a playable fighter, myself. But that's just me. Don't get tripped up over my opinions. It's okay. Deep breaths.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman

we K.Rool supporters are older, and we lived long enough to both play DKC1-3 when they were released and to see being out of the roster for 3 games now (not counting smash64).

Seeing K.Rool as a trophy AGAIN would be just another tuesday.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
My issue with Ashley is that her supporters bring up valid points and people go "well that doesnt mean anything!" or "Lol she doesnt matter" despite being given several examples as to why thats wrong.

Then theyll turn around and say p much the same thing for some other character.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
As much as I'd be okay with Ashley, there's just one thing about her that doesn't sit well with me to be honest.

That being that if she got in, it'd be moreso due to popularity than actually being important to her own franchise.

Outside of Pokemon and Mario, since those games just 'get' free passes in Smash, there really aren't any characters in Smash who are either:

A: Not a playable character
B: Not a P2/Rival character
C: Not an antagonist

Ashley isn't... really any of these. She's no more important than Mona or Jimmy T. to WarioWare,

I'm fine with her getting in, trust me, but she'd honestly be a 'one of a kind' situation, where she's not a protagonist, an antagonist, nor a rival, and most likely in due to fan demand.
Zelda/Sheik, Falco, and Daisy (unless you count spinoffs) don't fit into any of those criteria either. Also, Ashley is playable in one of the main games in Game & Wario and one of the unlockable minigames in WarioWare Gold.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I would like to point out that every single Smash Direct in the past had at least 2 characters officially revealed.

4.8.2014 Smash Direct had Yoshi, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Charizard and Greninja
10.24.2014 50 Fact Extravaganza had Bowser Jr. and Mewtwo
6.14.2015 New Content approachhing had Roy and Ryu
12.15.2015 Final Presentation had Corrin and Bayonetta

While things might be different now, I think that having 2 newcomers tomorrow is quite possible.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No disrespect to Mona or Jimmy T, but if any other Warioware character gets in it's gonna be Ashley, no question. And I eagerly await her reveal.
You say with such confidence when in actuality that's not even remotely proven.

The same thing the Waluigi pricks did, but in larger numbers.

They adore the croc
They **** on each other every other hour of the day, "**** you ashley" one second "**** you rool" the other. I expect nothing if hes gone, because nothing happened the last three times.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Ashley is a weird pick. She's not the Wario Ware number two, Jimmy T. and Mona are the seconds in command, yeah, but Ashley is way more popular than them. Nintendo did some promotional work with her, (badge arcade, April's Fool, mii outfits, spotlights in Ware promos...) so the fanbase grew, Nintendo is using her. She's a character created for beign loved if you ask me. Her situation is almost exceptional.
Wario Ware cast is not a normal cast anyway. No villians, no logic stories, not even heroes. Except the Wario-Jimmy/Mona-Rest hierarchy there's no other thing for logical choices about the series, and that hierarchy is not very strong anyway.
Actually Ashley is over that. It's not exactly as if we got Dixie before Diddy, because nobody is supporting that Diddy, not even Nintendo.
She got fans, potential (even for spinoffs, not only for Smash), promotion and cuteness. Beign a fighter won't be a surprise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Technically speaking, doesn’t Ashley count as a protagonist? It’s just that she, like the other stars of Warioware aside from Wario himself, is only the protagonist of her own little section of the game.
If we isolate it entirely to WarioWare? Yeah, I am. Wario is much more well known of course he's in a ton of games, but she is the single most popular original character of that franchise. It's kinda absurd to deny so.
At least we haven't gotten to the state of "Whenever Ashley isn't on-screen, everyone else asks "Where's Ashley?"" yet.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sniff, it's so beautiful...
I wanted to love this game so much, but the soundtrack...

I think this is the only time I gave up on a Nintendo game because the music was so awful. They used the same annoying tune in practically every level.

Yeah, seniority from Jimmy and Mona is her main obstacle, on top of all that.

In a strange way, this means that Syrup actually has more of a chance, since she is an antagonist. Problem is Wario Land hasn't gotten any lip service in years, so the Wario series overall in Smash is a Schrodinger's Cat in terms of getting new characters; both likely and unlikely to get any other ones until further notice.
Between the two, I'd say WarioWare has the better chance. It has a much larger cast to choose from, and the franchise is still going strong.

Captain Syrup would be a very unique choice for a character, but I'm afraid she hasn't done nearly enough lately to warrant getting in Smash. She desperately needs a new game.

Shroob

Sup?
Zelda/Sheik, Falco, and Daisy (unless you count spinoffs) don't fit into any of those criteria either. Also, Ashley is playable in one of the main games in Game & Wario and one of the unlockable minigames in WarioWare Gold.
Falco is basically the "P2/Rival" of Star Fox just like Meta Knight is Kirby's rival, not antagonist.

Mario basically gets a free pass along with Pokemon since they're Nintendo's 2 biggest franchises.

And you can't really have the Triforce trio without Zelda... and even then, Zelda HAS been playable in games in the past.

The only one who sticks out is Sheik, and well, Sheik is Zelda.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My issue with Ashley is that her supporters bring up valid points and people go "well that doesnt mean anything!" or "Lol she doesnt matter" despite being given several examples as to why thats wrong.

Then theyll turn around and say p much the same thing for some other character.
That's a problem for most characters. I wouldn't take it personally. It's just what happens in a speculative community where people want their character in. Just remember it's all kinda just a bunch of postulation and chest puffing haha.

Sincerely,
Goemon/Paper Mario/etc. Supporter

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
regarding the red eyes comment, here is my take, real talk:

Sakurai was just posting that since he just finished filming the direct and his face was a little messy 55% chances being the case
Hinting at Krool red strained eye 35% Chance
Hinting at Ashley red eyes and in fact he is going to be in the direct with red eyes, akin of how he went with bayonetta's glasses in the dlc direct. 10%
anything else 0%

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wanted to love this game so much, but the soundtrack...

I think this is the only time I gave up on a Nintendo game because the music was so awful. They used the same annoying tune in practically every level.

Between the two, I'd say WarioWare has the better chance. It has a much larger cast to choose from, and the franchise is still going strong.

Captain Syrup would be a very unique choice for a character, but I'm afraid she hasn't done nearly enough lately to warrant getting in Smash. She desperately needs a new game.
Let's just hope that Gold's potential success can raise interest in trying a Wario Land again, if Good-Feel gets freed up from Yoshi games later on.

Though I'll still buy up any entries that are on the 3DS VC anyway.

That said, I hope that composer got demoted.

Edit: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/credit/116638-masayoshi-ishi

Okay, so evidently he did get that.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I would love it if there was like an echo segment in the direct that confirmed all the echoes.

That way all character discussion can just be about unique newcomers

I wouldn’t even care if we got no unique newcomers in the direct

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom