• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Sorry to say, but Capcom having three whole characters is a bit much IMO. And Nintendo already has their own Phoenix Wright.

Well, kinda.
Yeah, but her videogame is forgotten, and it's exclusive from Japan.
She would suffer the same thing like Takamaru, being an assist trophy (Or just a trophy)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

I'd like you all to rate how likely each of the following events for the direct are...

1. One unique newcomer is revealed.
2. Two unique newcomers are revealed.
3. Three unique newcomers are revealed.
4. One new echo fighter is revealed.
5. Two new echo fighters are revealed.
6. Three new echo fighters are revealed.
7. A new third party character is revealed.
8. Adventure mode is revealed.
9. Classic mode is revealed.
10. Event mode is revealed.
11. Target Test is back.
12. Smash Run is back.
13. Smash Tour is back.
14. Target blast is back.
15. A new mode is revealed.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nuuuuuuuuu Dixie Kong :(If that happens then King K.Rool will become the hero we need, just not the one we deserve.
I say Dixie Kong because Diddy's Final Smash has to be changed to keep with the "fast and simple" quota of final smashes. One of these I thing would be a tag team throwdown with Diddy/Dixie, but he could just do a Wario Man and make it a cutscene with the backpack.

I threw her in because Assists will probably be shown, new and old (old being SSB4). I was debating putting Isaac on the list but he didn't show up in 4.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Regardless of what happens on Wednesday, I have this to say.
For the love of god can we actually talk about new stuff that they'll show instead of 2 months of "THIS CHARACTER SHOULD BE AN ECHO AND IT WORKS" or "THIS POKEMON! NO THAT ONE!"
Considering people get over Ridley in less then a week?
No.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, but her videogame is forgotten, and it's exclusive from Japan.
People with tinfoil hats would like to rebut your claim. :p He timed it for the Japanese to see. ObVIouSLy iTS An aNnOUnceMenT FoR tHEm.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Interesting how Sakurai wants to make the Direct at a reasonable time for Japan. I don't know if I'd say it has anything to do with a character though. It might just be Sakurai wanting convenience for his home country and nothing else.

But since we're on the topic, I have a feeling this Direct will be make or break for Ashley. If August 8th passes and we still don't know her fate, I'm gonna assume the worst. Even though it's not official, I really don't see why they'd hold off revealing Ashley when WarioWare Gold released just last week. Timing is too perfect.

Shroob

Sup?
No.
Isn't it ironic?

We've wanted Ridley for seventeen years since we saw that Melee opening cinematic.

We've begged, pleaded, and lived in denial about his chances of being in.

And now that he's actually in............

"Ah, yeah, that's cool."

We're like a dog that chases our own tail. Once we catch it, we have no idea what to actually do with it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So...

I'd like you all to rate how likely each of the following events for the direct are...

11. Target Test is back.
12. Smash Run is back.
13. Smash Tour is back.
1. Very likely
2. Very likely
3. Somewhat likely (I wish)
4. Likely
5. Not very likely
6. 1% chance
7. 50-50
8. 45%
9. Almost guaranteed
10. Very likely
11. Not very likely
12. 50-50
13. 0% i don’t want it back tbh
14. Not very likely
15. 85%

I am not very consistent with likeliness descriptions lmao

Noipoi

Howdy!
Interesting how Sakurai wants to make the Direct at a reasonable time for Japan. I don't know if I'd say it has anything to do with a character though. It might just be Sakurai wanting convenience for his home country and nothing else.

But since we're on the topic, I have a feeling this Direct will be make or break for Ashley. If August 8th passes and we still don't know her fate, I'm gonna assume the worst. Even though it's not official, I really don't see why they'd hold off revealing Ashley when WarioWare Gold released just last week. Timing is too perfect.
If she isn't confirmed, but also not deconfirmed this Wednesday then i'm not giving up. But i do agree this week is the best time for her.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
For the love of god can we actually talk about new stuff that they'll show instead of 2 months of "THIS CHARACTER SHOULD BE AN ECHO AND IT WORKS" or "THIS POKEMON! NO THAT ONE!"
Okay okay but hear me out. Decidueye....as an echo fighter of Falco. Just replace his lazers with leaf arrows and bam!

Hey, it makes more sense then Mimikyu over Pikachu.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's really not the same.

-Dragon Ball is the face of anime.
-Inspired Ken Sugimori (the artist of Pokemon) and many other gaming artists.
-Dragon Ball games are the face of anime video games and there have been tons of excellent games in this series that has been across multiple generations starting with the Famicom.
-The company that publishes these games, Bandai-Namco, is working on this game.
-Goku is a fighter while Shrek is some ogre in a swamp.
-Dragon Ball has as a charming aesthetic that would lend itself well to Smash.

Goku can easily represent anime video games. And to be honest? Goku is far more cartoony than Bayonetta and Snake.

Do I think Goku is getting in? No, not really. But I don't think it's that crazy of an idea.
I mean this isn't really an argument.

'anime video games' aren't a genre they are a art style in which the game is portrayed in.

Goku has nothing do video games becasue his roots aren't based in them.

In fact games based on external media really don't pull people for the merit of the game itself (most of the time) but the property the game is based on.

The game is driving the anime or manga not the other way around.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Isn't it ironic?

We've wanted Ridley for seventeen years since we saw that Melee opening cinematic.

"Ah, yeah, that's cool."

We're like a dog that chases our own tail. Once we catch it, we have no idea what to actually do with it.
I just shrugged when he revealed. He was already in the game for ten years and everyone was constantly talking about him.
He didn't really felt like a newcomer, imo.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What taglines do you have for your favorite characters? Here's a few of mine...
I've always been a bit fan of "King K. Rool Krushes the Kompetition!" just because I know him best from DK64 as Krusha K. Rool.

Also
"Dovahkiin Shouts 'em Down!"
"Urbosa Brings the Fury!"
My problem with Cross is that if they're in, they'll be a generic version of them.
I'd be disappointed by Cross because they'd be nothing like the Cross I played in the game. I spent more than two hundred hours building my Cross to the point that he could solo the superbosses and I spent dozens of hours using him in the online multiplayer.
Robin and Villager just don't have the same level of customization as Cross.
Generic Cross would be like getting the generic RuneScape bald guy.

(seeing that RuneScape pic made me feel nostalgic for the old RuneScape days and I'm sad now)
I suppose this is a problem with a lot of avatar characters - how do you represent someone who everyone plays their own way. Definitely a hit against my #1.

I've always thought of the Dragonborn at least having a canon appearance that they've shown in all the marketing. Despite the fact that nobody uses the Iron Helmet since it's the worst in the game, everyone recognizes it based on the marketing. Not all characters have a set marketed look, and the ones that don't are really hard to consider as their own characters.

Still, even though the character is basically a blank slate, I completely accept the marketed version as valid. To keep the example going, despite the fact that I tend to play a Bosmer Dragonborn archer, I'd rather a playable Dovahkiin be the Nord swordsman in the marketing. Yeah, I can't go through a barrow without pulling out a bow and sniping every Draugr, but I fully accept the marketed version as 'the correct' one. Now as for the games which don't have major marketing of a certain look like Morrowind - I don't really accept too many different versions of the Nerevarine than the one I play.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Since the direct is made to be convenient for Japanese viewers I’m gonna guess that if we get a newcomer it’ll be one that’s very popular there.

So my fingers are crossed for either Ashely or K Rool or a new Pokémon Rep.

And hopefully an echo too

Shroob

Sup?
Even if we get someone like King K.Rool on Wednesday, we'll get bored of him within a few days and latch onto the next 'obvious' character who 'deserves' a spot in Smash.

Smash fans are impossible to satisfy, because we always want 'more'. Just look at any previous final roster discussion and see for yourself.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just shrugged when he revealed. He was already in the game for ten years and everyone was constantly talking about him.
He didn't really felt like a newcomer, imo.
Being an outsider looking in on the whole Ridley thing was really funny. Seeing people lose it over a character you don't care about for years, spazzing out over every little thing, it was beautiful. I really didn't expect his fanatics to get over him so fast though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Speak for yourselves, I'm still giddy about Ridley.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Oh wow, I can't believe we have so many stages, items and more to talk about, especially after they confirmed Geno, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Goku, K.Rool, Ashley and more!"

"So anyway, Shadow would be an Echo"
"Yeah, sure, Sakurai is a playable character but it doesn't mean we'll get Reggie as an echo."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Isn't it ironic?

"Ah, yeah, that's cool."

Wanting is better than having, as the saying goes.

Though I still have a blast with King Dedede.

Would she be more popular in Japan than Shantae aleast?
Considering that Ayumi is from a small FDS game series that only ever got one or two rereleases (one being on the GBA, like with Takamaru's game), I kind of doubt this.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So...

11. Target Test is back.
12. Smash Run is back.
13. Smash Tour is back.
Just note that when it comes to 'Rate their Chances', I never go above 50%. After what happened with Smash 4, even the most expected may not come to fruition, and the most unexpected can happen.

1) 50% - I don't think they'd have a standalone Smash direct without showing someone new.
2) 5% - I highly doubt we'd get more than one unique newcomer.
3) 1% - I have even further doubts we'd get more than two unique newcomers.
4) 35% - Wouldn't be surprised if we got an 'Echo' reveal alongside a unique newcomer.
5) 20% - In the case we don't get a unique newcomer reveal, two 'Echo' is possible.
6) 5% - I don't even think we're getting more than two more 'Echo' fighters, but if they wanted to show off the rest in one go, they could.
7) 15% - I still don't see too many 3rd Party characters as particularly likely. Simon seems to have the best shot, given Sakurai's working with Konami again.
8) 30% - Wasn't Smash 4 criticized a bit for not having an Adventure mode? If so, I could see a new Adventure mode being the best method for unlocking.
9) 25% - Wouldn't be too surprised if we get some more info with returning single player modes. Hopefully Classic is improved.
10) 10% - If anything, we'd be told that there is an Event mode. It could be another way of unlocking characters, too.
11) 5% - Although I'm sure its back, I'm not sure it'd be revealed.
12) 15% - Seeing as how they're bringing back 3DS assets, Smash Run coming back would be nice. Maybe local multiplayer with multiple Switches?
13) 10% - I think this mode was criticized a bit, if I'm not mistaken. They'd either say 'Hey it's back' or 'Look how we've improved it.'
14) 5% - Although I'm sure its back, I'm not sure it'd be revealed.
15) 15% - Like I said, I'm sure this direct may show off some new things. New modes would be a good thing to show. Question is, what could it be?

Iridium

Smash Hero
I want to ask a question. What music tracks in Nintendo history have shown themselves to be terrible? That may be hard to find, but I want to hear anything, if you can post a video here.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Turns out Bill actually was 'just saying' closer to december to mean anytime before now and the release of the game! We should stop looking so much into the exact wording of what everyone is saying"

"SAKURAI SAID THE DIRECT IS AT A REASONABLE TIME FOR JAPAN AND THAT HE HAS RED EYES, QUICK, WHAT DOES IT MEAN"

Of course, now that I pointed it out, it'll probably actually be related. Such is life.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
No.
Begged for him over 17 years.
Got bored of him over 17 hours.
Isn't it ironic?

"Ah, yeah, that's cool."

Gotta disagree with all of this, and do think there's a difference of people who jumped on the Ridley band wagon and who actually wanted Ridley for the past decade. I'm so estatic he's in, I still can't believe it, and I could care less who else is in at this point.

Now do I have a new most wanted? Of course. But so does anyone who wanted Sonic, MegaMan, Cloud etc.

Also to the whole let's talk about what was revealed thing. I agree, but there are character threads for that. I know because it's a general thread, talking about Ridley wouldn't be off topic, but there's a place speifically for that. So you can just go to those threads for those conversations. Sorry, in general I never understood why people got upset with speculation/rumors when there were threads dedicated to what they wanted to talk about but not speculation/rumors. (I guess you could argue making a echo thread, or a speculate Pokemon newcomer thread etc. and I would say touche).

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I don't think anything is going to top the Ridley's shadow when that was revealed and had us all freaking out on whether he was gonna be playable

My god that was a nightmare
Are you saying that was taunting? Most of the fanbase (correctly, in my opinion) took that as "Ridley might appear on this stage, please look forward to that!"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Being an outsider looking in on the whole Ridley thing was really funny. Seeing people lose it over a character you don't care about for years, spazzing out over every little thing, it was beautiful. I really didn't expect his fanatics to get over him so fast though.
That's what separates supporters from people who predict a character just for the sake of bragging rights. We've known about Ridley for almost two months and I'm still infatuated with him. Got three amiibo preordered too. Don't really need three, but I was so excited when the preorders went online that I bought them anyway. :p

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Goku has the most successful anime video games, and the company that publishes those is Bandai-Namco, who is also working on Smash Bros.

Regardless, it's...just a video game. Chill with the rudeness, it's not that important in the end.
Crazy how DBZF had the most views at Evo. You had chat wanting Goku in Tekken LOL.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I don't think they're gonna reveal the retro character in the direct, they'll probably keep it a secret then reveal it post release.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
To be fair, since most of us have to wait for December 7th to actually play the game regardless of when the characters are revealed, there is good reason to look forward to the next reveal shortly after one is revealed, since that is when we’d get more actual content (videos and screenshots.) Remember that a character’s reveal trailer means more gameplay of previously revealed characters, too, even if they’re just used as punching bags in the trailer.

D

Deleted member

Why would we do that when we can indulge in needless and desperate wish-fulfillment? :b

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
So I take it Vergeben has gone quiet.

In other news, some fanbases seem extremely optimistic. I can only imagine how they're going to react when all is said and done on the 8th.
I imagine some will be very happy, while others will still be on the edge if their character will get in or not, or outright disappointed at their character not getting in. Thankfully, I've got really no stakes in it so I'm just going into this real excited. There's really little chance of me being disappointed of what happens during the direct.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Im so nervous.
I REALLY hope Ashley is the one to get revealed and not someone like springman, a pokemon, a FE rep, or rex
Nothing against ppl who want those kind of chars, but it would be really great to get another highly requested fan favorite character thats been wanted for years, even before those others existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom