• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I just want Sakurai to stop taunting!
He's not taunting. The direct will be at 11PM for Japan and his eyes may appear to be red during the direct, but "it's just eye strain".
Or he's "just tired" according to that translation of the tweet.

(I mean, it's prerecorded, anyway, no? so the time might not actually be relevant)

in other words my dude is exhausted and that's all that he meant

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Ive warmed up to spring man tbh. I think he could be a lot more fun in smash than even his home game. Exceuted well, he can finally redeem himself and be the cool dude i wanted him to be.

Helix or ribbon girl would still be better tho

Edit: just dodging double post here but bc undertale is legit popular in japan sans has more chance than most indie reps ive seen suggested. Not saying hes ever in, but im saying expect sans over someone like shovel knight

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think anything is going to top the Ridley's shadow when that was revealed and had us all freaking out on whether he was gonna be playable

My god that was a nightmare
Wednesday won't be any different.
Instead of a period of speculating over a shadow, it'd be a mercy killing of tens of people made into Assists or Pokeball Items something.

D

Deleted member

Once again, Goku is an anime character before he appeared in games.

It's not happening. If you want Goku so badly, go play SSF2
First of all, learn how to read please I already stated that I don't think he's getting in, just I don't think it's entirely out of the question.

Though if you want to turn this into a **** slinging contest be my guest.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
He's not taunting. The direct will be at 11PM for Japan and his eyes may appear to be red during the direct, but "it's just eye strain".
Or he's "just tired" according to that translation of the tweet.

(I mean, it's prerecorded, anyway, no? so eh)

in other words my dude is exhausted and that's all that meant
I see that Sakurai is a man of cuiture

Giving us new information about Ultimate before his bedtime is like children being excited to open their presents on Christmas morning

I love it!

D

Deleted member

Sans Undertale has a better chance than Goku, simply because he's an actal video game character.
When did I ever say Goku has a higher chance than video game characters?

Jesus christ people lol.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Sakurai specifically mentioning trying to make the direct a reasonable time for Japan gives me the idea that maybe the reveal will be a highly requested character from Japan.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Sakurai specifically mentioning trying to make the direct a reasonable time for Japan gives me the idea that maybe the reveal will be a highly requested character from Japan.
Yup, that's very reasonable. I can't help but think that something Xenoblade related is going to be shown

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
As much as we'd love DLC possibilities, the poor guy really should take a break if he needs it sometime soon.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Don't worry I'm with you all the way. it's Ashley's time
Will that one leaker be right? Cause I could dig having 16 outfits per slot. As we've seen, Ridley has eight colours in ADDITION to his Meta Ridley getup. Might be a Olimar/Alph case? Also Samus's Dark alt could be within those.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So I take it Vergeben has gone quiet.

In other news, some fanbases seem extremely optimistic. I can only imagine how they're going to react when all is said and done on the 8th.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, who do you guys think will be revealed on Wednesday?
Could be anyone. A game I prefer to play is "who do you guys think will be deconfirmed on Wednesday?" :upsidedown:

Isabelle
Dixie Kong
Ashley
Shadow

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ive warmed up to spring man tbh. I think he could be a lot more fun in smash than even his home game. Exceuted well, he can finally redeem himself and be the cool dude i wanted him to be.

Helix or ribbon girl would still be better tho

Edit: just dodging double post here but bc undertale is legit popular in japan sans has more chance than most indie reps ive seen suggested. Not saying hes ever in, but im saying expect sans over someone like shovel knight
I'd say that any indie that actually has more than one game to their name might have a chance (sorry, Quote fans).

Besides, Frisk would have to get in before Sans, simply because third-party character inclusions primarily focus on the protags at the moment.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of "A character the Japanese would like"

This just reminds me all those leaks that throw in Reimu.

THAT....to me is a bigger "wtf" choice than Dry Bowser on all these 4chan leaks.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
Could be anyone. A game I prefer to play is "who do you guys think will be deconfirmed on Wednesday?" :upsidedown:

Isabelle
Dixie Kong
Ashley
Shadow
Nuuuuuuuuu Dixie Kong :( If that happens then King K.Rool will become the hero we need, just not the one we deserve.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

As the Nintendo Direct comes up, remember this . . .
Aww... Sakurai has been working his ass off, I’m proud of him.

He did say that the direct is manageable for Japanese viewers though. But I’m not buying that it’s supposed to be managble for Japanese viewers that Ashley is going to get in or any Japanese fan favorite for the matter (unless it’s Ayumi).

osby

Smash Obsessed

Isabelle
Dixie Kong
Ashley
Shadow
Skull Kid to go along with Young Link reveal.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, i'd love to see Phoenix Wright in Smash! He can be an unique character
Sorry to say, but Capcom having three whole characters is a bit much IMO. And Nintendo already has their own Phoenix Wright.

Well, kinda.

Skull Kid to go along with Young Link reveal.
Oh dang, that's actually a pretty good one. I forgot Skull Kid existed.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I think Elma has a decent shot at getting into the game, but I also think her chances are overstated by many. I apologize in advance to @Rie Sonomura

First of all, the XCX composer thing. Given Ultimate's time frame and the project plan, it seems very likely that there will be XCX content in this game in some form. Getting some music from the game seems like a no brainer. I think it's entirely possible we could get a new original piece of music from XCX with no new character. There have been similar things done in the past, such as The Mysterious Murasame Castle getting it's own piece of original music in Smash 4 despite no character or stage. Really, the thing with the XCX composer only solidifies that we'll get new music for XCX which could potentially be added onto a new XCX stage or maybe another Xenoblade stage not related to X.

Then there's the Xenoblade characters thing from Bill Trinen. If you go back and watch the interview, it's clear that Bill has no idea what he's talking about. He just had a real brain fart moment and was trying to think of what franchises were new to Smash and spouted out Xenoblade when he couldn't even remember what characters from it were in Smash. Plus, if he said "The Xenoblade Character" in reference to Shulk that would've made him look like an idiot.

And then you DO have to take into account that if Elma gets into the game, it won't be because of fan demand. XCX was released after the ballot in the west and in the midst of the ballot in Japan. There's no way she was able to build up enough support at the time to be considered for fan demand, so her only chance at getting in is if Sakurai picks her himself, though that's still entirely possible.

I stated this at the beginning, and I'll say it again. I think Elma has a decent shot at getting into the game, but people make her out out to be way more likely than I think she actually is. Maybe she'll be revealed at the Direct on Wednesday and everything I said up above will get thrown out the window but I wouldn't hold my breathe for it.
You are imo correct with Elma's timeframe and it doesn't help either that X was not that well received in Japan, while unlike XB2 we had Sakurai praising that game atleast, so if Rex & Pyra are not a Greninja situation (which is not impossible either, seeing that XB2 was in development since 2014), this stuff atleast bodes well for Rex & Pyra if they are going to be DLC imo.

Elma's biggest hurdle is imo still that newcomer slots are limited and I feel Sakurai wants to give us the ballot stuff at base and the switch era to be repped with DLC.

Elma does have one major thing going for her though, but she has to be revealed this month. She can still appear later offcourse, but this time frame is imo her golden ticket.

Elma will become a playable cameo DLC blade like Shulk, Fiora, KOS-MOS and T-elos. However I do feel Elma and X in general are a bit shafted by Monolith still, because if the the datamine is believed its more they threw a bone to X fans, because she will more be a challenge mode reward, instead of the nice dialogue Shulk & Fiora get with Rex's party.

Also this update should arrive before or with Torna because there is another light katana blade that the Torna boxart spoiled, that is part of the expansion pass blade trio's

If Elma gets casually revealed at Monolith's twitter for XB2, i'm honestly worried about what Monolith thinks of X in general, because like I said Japan really was not that keen on it and Takahashi promised that the next game would be story focused again, like few weeks after X launched in Japan, and thats when XB2 started development if I recall correctly, so it comes over to me that Takahashi listened to some of the backslash X got.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sorry to say, but Capcom having three whole characters is a bit much IMO. And Nintendo already has their own Phoenix Wright.

Well, kinda.

Oh dang, that's actually a pretty good one. I forgot Skull Kid existed.
Everyone does.

Also, does Kyle Hyde counts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom