• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so

I never said anything about Elma being a lock or 100% guaranteed? I was just saying that it was unlikely they’d pick Cross, the player avatar, over her. That’s all.

aaaaaanyway

What unseen as of yet stages are y’all expecting to see?

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Hey so

I never said anything about Elma being a lock or 100% guaranteed? I was just saying that it was unlikely they’d pick Cross, the player avatar, over her. That’s all.

aaaaaanyway

Gamer & New Donk City

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
What taglines do you have for your favorite characters? Here's a few of mine...

King K Rool takes over!
Paper Mario folds the competition!
Crash Bandicoot crashes the party!
Chibi-Robo cleans up the competition!
Waluigi appears nonetheless!
Isabelle stumbles in!

Iridium

Smash Hero

If I can't go to actual tournies, then this is the next best thing to be honest for me.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question:

Do you guys think we'll get a proper ranked mode like Splatoon and ARMS or do you think we'll be keeping the Global Smash Power thing. Really hoping we get a proper ranked but, I have feeling it'll GSP again.
I hope so. I'd love to see where I actually rank. Also matchmaking based on skill. No fun to play against players way better or worse than you.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey so

aaaaaanyway

Pirate Ship and Rainbow Road, I guess.
And Rumble Falls, I hope.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Hey so

aaaaaanyway

My bad if it looked like I was butting into that Cross vs Elma debate. My post had nothing to do with it, I was just talking about Elma in reference to other conversation that was going on.

Anyway, in regards to the question: Fountain of Dreams, Pirate Ship, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Peach's Castle (64), Kongo Jungle, Pac-Maze. Those all seem like basic stages that could very well be in the game that they haven't shown off yet.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I have a foolproof Bingo card guys.

No Yoshi.png

I'm starting to be convinced that Sakurai hates Yoshi.

D

Deleted member

The perfect part is I have nothing to do in Wednesday, so this Direct is perfect.
I think we will get probably between one to three newcomers.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
:ultlucario:

Also, if Goku did get in, it might not even be Sean Schemmel, they might use his Japanese voice (Masako Nozawa) in all versions like they did for:4cloud:.
Cloud wasn't dubbed because of Union issues with his english VA Steve Burton (Smash doesn't use Union VAs). Sean Schemmel obviously doesn't have this issue as he already voices in Smash (Lucario), so Goku would certainly get dubbed in the international releases.

with the leaks claiming a "controversial character" is coming i can only think of three characters 1. jeane as a bayo echo 2. FE 3 houses character (specifically with a sword if its another weapon wouldnt be controversal) 3. goku
almost anyone else will probably be ok.
No leaks claimed a "controversial" character, that was just an early misinterpretation people ran with of why Vergeben wouldn't reveal his mystery character, and then later on Vergeben claimed his mystery character would be controversial only because it's a gen 7 pokemon that isn't Decidueye/Mimikyu/Lycanroc, so it's not an indication towards any character.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So remember when people here were making a big deal of the Direct supposedly being themed around the number 8, specifically because the dots were octagons? Well it turns out that was just the font they were using, and the octagon dots appeared in the Smash segment of the E3 Direct. Here's the reddit thread pointing out, and if you don't want click the reddit link here's the picture showing the octagon dots being used prior:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
On that note I think people are sleeping on Cross, I definitely see Elma getting in but I wouldnt be surprised if they pull a "Robin over Chrom" type of situation again. (Though Elma actually has something to offer other then Chrom who is said to be similar to Ike).
My problem with Cross is that if they're in, they'll be a generic version of them.
I'd be disappointed by Cross because they'd be nothing like the Cross I played in the game. I spent more than two hundred hours building my Cross to the point that he could solo the superbosses and I spent dozens of hours using him in the online multiplayer.
Robin and Villager just don't have the same level of customization as Cross.
Generic Cross would be like getting the generic RuneScape bald guy.

(seeing that RuneScape pic made me feel nostalgic for the old RuneScape days and I'm sad now)

T!t!

Smash Cadet
My predictions for the Direct:

- online mode details (including tournament mode with small tweaks)
people expect details on online mode which i think is pretty likely. I also feel like they will present tournament mode with some tweaks to the sm4sh version of it.
- smash run returning as a mode that can only be played by connecting multiple switch consoles
something I could definitely see since Nintendo showed off the Switch with people playing on different Switch consoles. What better game to promote this than a mode in Smash that can only be enjoyed this way?
- 2 newcomers and 1 echo fighter
I feel like we're going to see 3 character reveals. I do think revealing 1 newcomer and 2 echo fighters would be pretty underwhelming. Also I wouldn't bet money on Sakurai including a lot of echo fighters. It's gonna be like in Sm4sh: mostly "true" newcomers and only a few echo fighters.
- Story-mode inspired by the Subspace Emissary
Many people are asking for this and I think Sakurai and his team are well aware of the demand for a storytelling singleplayer/multiplayer mode. so I would expect this to be included. Although I feel like Sakurai may keep the suspense up until the final moment and reveal the mode only later this year. (in October/November, close to the release of Smash Ultimate)
- one of the newcomers is gonna be something crazy nobody would have predicted
I do like Tabuu from Brawl and it would be crazy to see him as a playable character since probably almost nobody would have had him on his list of potential newcomers. Would be my go-to surprise pick for any direct featuring Smash Ultimate. It would also be perfect to ruin the expectations of those going with Simon Belmont. Tabuu could start his reveal trailer with a whipslash out of nowhere so most people go crazy about Simon Belmont and suddenly it's Tabuu instead. As I said pretty unlikely but making predictions without a bold prediction would be kinda boring.
- returning stage: Fountain of Dreams
a small wish but I hope to see Fountain of Dreams in beautiful HD graphics. Since already so many stages from past iterations returned I do think Fountain of Dreams has a good chance making it too.

And while I write my predictions, I honestly am not that much into the predictions this time around. I'm pretty happy with Wolf being in the game and as long as I see a few more Wolf moves, I'm fine with nothing else being shown in the Smash direct :ultwolf:

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Question for Heihachi supporters - aside from being a new franchise rep, what makes him stand out as a potential fighter? I've never played Tekken before, so just by looking at him, I don't see any stand out traits or abilities that'll separate him from the crowd. As of right now, he's one of the only popular fan picks that I don't really see the appeal of.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What taglines do you have for your favorite characters? Here's a few of mine...

King K Rool takes over!
Paper Mario folds the competition!
Crash Bandicoot crashes the party!
Some for my top four requests (mine for Crash is the same as yours), and then a few for some personal, never-gonna-happen requests.

Chrom Gets His Chance!
Celica Drops in for a Spell!
Decidueye Takes Aim!
Crash Bandicoot Crashes the Party!

Waluigi Serves Up a Fight?!
Caeda Flies into Battle!
Merric Gets His Second Wind!
Chandelure Raises Its Spirits!
Starfy Dives In!
Henry Fleming Gets Steamed!
Virion Fancies a Fight!
Klefki Unlocks Its Potential!
Muddy Dishes the Dirt!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pirate Ship, Rainbow Road, and Pac Maze
I hope the "red eyes" thing is not a hint that the next newcomer may have red eyes or a red eye or something like that.
If that was a hint, then Shadow or Ashley...or both...or it’s just Sakurai being tired due to caring for us peasants

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This poor ****ing guy is staying up late at night just to give us more info on smash, Bless this man.
I wanna say same but he's just done too much overworking at this point, and it's making me worry big time as it continues when he mentions about it.

Sakurai good man, get a hold of yourself. :(

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Question for Heihachi supporters - aside from being a new franchise rep, what makes him stand out as a potential fighter? I've never played Tekken before, so just by looking at him, I don't see any stand out traits or abilities that'll separate him from the crowd. As of right now, he's one of the only popular fan picks that I don't really see the appeal of.
He has like the sickest hairdo

Roberk

Smash Champion
I hope the "red eyes" thing is not a hint that the next newcomer may have red eyes or a red eye or something like that.
Wait, so you want Sakurai to be in pain with red eye or strained eyes?

D

Deleted member

Though I get why he's frustrated. Goku really doesn't make sense.

Fighters doesn't affect his chances. He is a manga character.

Its the same thing as saying Shrek is viable because he's fighting game is kinda rad.
It's really not the same.

-Dragon Ball is the face of anime.
-Inspired Ken Sugimori (the artist of Pokemon) and many other gaming artists.
-Dragon Ball games are the face of anime video games and there have been tons of excellent games in this series that has been across multiple generations starting with the Famicom.
-The company that publishes these games, Bandai-Namco, is working on this game.
-Goku is a fighter while Shrek is some ogre in a swamp.
-Dragon Ball has as a charming aesthetic that would lend itself well to Smash.

Goku can easily represent anime video games. And to be honest? Goku is far more cartoony than Bayonetta and Snake.

Do I think Goku is getting in? No, not really. But I don't think it's that crazy of an idea.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have a foolproof Bingo card guys.

View attachment 155932
I'm starting to be convinced that Sakurai hates Yoshi.
In before the next Smash director is from Good-Feel.

I wanna say same but he's just done too much overworking at this point, and it's making me worry big time as it continues when he mentions about it.

Sakurai good man, get a hold of yourself. :(
I hope he doesn't drop dead from working on this game. There's no telling how long the DLC will go on for this time.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

-Dragon Ball games are the face of anime video games and there have been tons of excellent games in this series that has been across multiple generations starting with the Famicom.

Goku can easily represent anime video games. And to be honest? Goku is far more cartoony than Bayonetta and Snake.
You know those things you just listed can be applied to a lot of fictional characters outside of video games, right?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Do I think Goku is getting in? No, not really. But I don't think it's that crazy of an idea.
Once again, Goku is an anime character before he appeared in games.

It's not happening. If you want Goku so badly, go play SSF2

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I just want Sakurai to stop taunting!
I don't think anything is going to top the Ridley's shadow when that was revealed and had us all freaking out on whether he was gonna be playable

My god that was a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom