• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iustinus Tempus

Smash Rookie
That doesn’t line up with Vegeta’s leak at all though. We’re supposedly getting at least a half a dozen more newcomers in addition to Ridley and Inkling, so if the leak is true then
we’d get Simon,Isabelle,Gen 7,Heihachi, and Lloyd. We’d need one more. I’m thinking the guy meant eight more newcomers.
Half a dozen is 6, add Ridley and Inkling would make 8 total.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Reading that thread with the Lloyd images, it mentions that Vergeben can be trusted, and an anon, believed to be the OP, says there is only 8 newcomers.
An another anon say this about that: "Because if it's 8 in total, that puts us at our cap: Ridley, Daisy, Inkling, Lyoid, Heiachi, Simon, Isabelle, Gen 7 rep".
How would you dudes feel about this list of newcomers?
Hm. I don't think I would be terribly sad, just a tad disappointed. I'd look forward to DLC, I suppose. It all depends on who is disconfirmed, and what stages are like.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Tekken guest characters just keep get odder. Maybe it just that Smash Bros is just wacky enough in concept that the guest characters don't seem out of place lol.
Not just them, some other fighting game IPs are throwing darts at the wall to see what sticks. Fighting EX Layer's choice of guest makes sense, due to Arika cutting ties with Capcom by introducing a fighter from a former rival of theirs. Mortal Kombat and Injustice, on the other hand, tend to have some odd choices. Nicalis' Blade Strangers is oddly sensical in that department aside from Isaac from Binding of Isaac (although their puzzle game Crystal Crisis more than makes up for it with its cast of odd guests).

Heck, Brawlout pretty much has half of its roster being comprised of indie guests at this point (with the addition of the Dead Cells guy).

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Reading that thread with the Lloyd images, it mentions that Vergeben can be trusted, and an anon, believed to be the OP, says there is only 8 newcomers.
An another anon say this about that: "Because if it's 8 in total, that puts us at our cap: Ridley, Daisy, Inkling, Lyoid, Heiachi, Simon, Isabelle, Gen 7 rep".
I personally have no issue. I already said that if we got no more characters after Ridley, for a total of 65, I could not imagine complaining. Being bumped up to 70 is insane to me. Not including any DLC they may or may not add in later on, as well.

That being said, Im not entirely convinced at the legitimacy of any of these leaks, so I am still looking forward to any surprises that come in a few days.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Goku getting into smash would make more sense than what's happening in Tekken right now.
Smash Bros and TEKKEN are two different fighting games. There's no way Sakurai is going to throw out the anime characters being in the game because it's supposed to be about video game characters, not those who started in anime first

Blaziken (Falcon Echo)
I see you're a man of culture

No King K Rool or Dixie for FOUR games straight?

Sakurai please you're ****ing up the DK reps

I ain't gonna believe it yet, but I ain't gonna get my hopes too high until I see it

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Ridley, Daisy, Inkling, Lyoid, Heiachi, Simon, Isabelle, Gen 7 rep
In terms of solely newcomers, I'd be pretty content. No DK or Rhythm Heaven newcomer is a bit disappointing, but Inkling and Simon Belmont are additions I'd be more than happy with. I feel happy for Ridley's fans, and the Gen 7 Pokemon could be pretty cool, depending on who it is. Don't care whatsoever about the rest.

In terms of the roster as a whole however, we got everyone back. I can't be upset with that. The game's is already phenomenal because of it. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Assuming this leak is true, there's some problems with the "we're getting 8 characters total" statement.

1: Was it the actual OP that said that? Other random anons answer questions trying to imitate the OP all the time in 4chan leak threads.
2: Is that the remaining newcomers or what is in the game overall? ("total" implies it's what's in the game but still a bit vague)
3: Does that number include Echoes or not?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I still think the Lloyd leak is fake. It just seems off to me.
And if we got Lloyd and Heihachi but no Geno, K Rool and Ashley? It'd be really lame in my opinion.
However, all the returning characters Inkling, and Ridley would make up for that.

Hey guys, you already posted and talk about this image?

It's said Aug. 8 since the game came out. It doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So, I watched the finals of Tekken, and...

Yes, Negan, from The Walking Dead, a TV series about literal zombies, is fighting against a Final Fantasy character with magical abilities.

At this point I’m surprised they didn’t add Ryu yet. Or even better...

Ladies and gentlemen I’m calling it. Shulk, from Xenoblade Chronicles, is going to be playable in Tekken.
(Holy ****, watch it just happen)

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
In the midst of all this hype over the Direct announcement... I just wanna say I thought Melee top 8 was incredibly fun to watch, even though none of the guys I was rooting for ended up winning. Oh well, Big Leff deserved the win and I really enjoyed how genuine his pop-off was and how well he played the whole time.

I hope Melee continues to thrive and grow, because regardless of how amazing I’m sure Smash Ultimate will be, I don’t think anything will ever be more entertaining to watch (for me) than a good Melee set.

Also, thoughts on the Smash Ultimate Direct:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Unfortunately I won’t be able to catch it live, which sucks. Does anyone know a good page to save so I can watch it live without spoilers when I get home?

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the whole Heihachi thing with him being playable. Perhaps because I'm not crazy on TEKKEN despite my sudden hype for Negan

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So I came back from my errands to see that we have a SMASH DIRECT!!! YAY!!!

Now, a newcomer is all but guaranteed, but for my money I want to see the remaining veterans showcased (Luigi, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Meta Knight and ESPECIALLY my boi!!!)

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I'll feel like this...
I mean seriously why does Bamco get 2 new characters and Square Enix get nothing.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So, I watched the finals of Tekken, and...

Yes, Negan, from The Walking Dead, a TV series about literal zombies, is fighting against a Final Fantasy character with magical abilities.

At this point I’m surprised they didn’t add Ryu yet. Or even better...

Ladies and gentlemen I’m calling it. Shulk, from Xenoblade Chronicles, is going to be playable in Tekken.
(Holy ****, watch it just happen)
The Walking Dead started as a comic before it became TV. I'm just shocked ****ing Negan was picked

Now if we got Ryu vs Shulk there, it'll be Smash crossover lmao

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh so the Lloyd leak says that our cap is 8 newcomers?

And no DK rep?

It's fake then. No chance in hell there isn't going to be a new DK rep in this game.
I kind of have to agree. The Switch port has already sold 2 million and it's a pretty safe assumption that Tropical Freeze was easily top ten for the Wii U. Tropical Freeze's success would have to be totally ignored to be skipped over again.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Worth mentioning that they wouldn't select the date of a presentation specifically to tease a newcomer.

That just makes no sense from a logistical standpoint, especially if something goes awry and the date needs to be changed.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Did anyone check the Pachislot Tales of Symphonia? It has cutscenes in it but I can't find any videos of the machine. It's website has pictures though that look like the model.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah from what I can tell the footage from the Lloyd trailer is completely new, as well as this the trailer has lots of little details such as particle effects around Lloyd and more.

EDIT: Well I’m late lol

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Smash Bros and TEKKEN are two different fighting games. There's no way Sakurai is going to throw out the anime characters being in the game because it's supposed to be about video game characters, not those who started in anime first

I see you're a man of culture

No King K Rool or Dixie for FOUR games straight?

Sakurai please you're ****ing up the DK reps

I ain't gonna believe it yet, but I ain't gonna get my hopes too high until I see it
As I said before! We should wait until Wednesday to see what is confirmed and what isn't before we jump on the gun that states that this info is true.

As none of this has been confirmed by Nintendo or Mashed Potato Samurai themselves as of the moment I type this comment (Your all acting this is all the actual roster when nothing has been shown off yet for Iwata's beautiful sake)!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, I think the clip of a red crystal shattering from the 4chan gifs was taken from the official ToS anime, just putting that out there

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Hey guys, you already posted and talk about this image?

Now people are gonna tell you that it doesn't mean anything since it's been like that since last year, but all that means is that they've been planning his reveal for an entire year. That would be pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom