• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The thing with Kirby is that people arwe already arguing it's fine with characters. After Bandana Dee, where do you really go? Everyone is either a species or a character who only appeared once or twice. Other than Galacta Knight, nobody else really stays relevant outside of the Dream Friends. Personally, I'd accept any extra Kirby characters after Bandana Dee unless they're just generic enemies without their own identity, Dark Matter being an exception to this
Yeah...i can agree with this. After Bandanny Devito, we're basically done with the Kirby Roster. MAYBE add Dark Matter, because he's a big Kirby villain, but that's about it. And Kirby doesn't seem like the type of game to get those obscure characters.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Dr. Mario is basically "Classic Mario" from Melee/64 like how Young Link is "Classic Link" while regular Link has changed. Lucina makes sense as an echo because she does nothing differently from Marth, and Marth hasn't changed at any point in his Smash iterations to justify differentiating Lucina from him.
If you're mad that Lucina didn't get decloned, well like, sorry?
Hm. I was just talking conceptually. Like it's just crazy to look at a roster and have Mario playing Doctor as a seperate character, when Mario playing Construction Worker isn't.

I get the history of it, but was just saying it's weird :/.
Anyway no one likes talking about clones so....
Possible Female Newcomers: Ashley, Elma, Mach Rider (portrayed as female before), Pokemon, Birdo, Dixie Kong, Impa, Isabelle
Smash Sisters!
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpikachu::ultsheik::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss:

At 20 that's basically a third of the cast which is pretty good considering a chunk are gender ambiguous.

(Also before people fight me over it 75% of Jiggly Puff are female and with Pikachu confirming that not every alt has to be the same Pokemon it's very likely at least one is a female Jiggly Puff. Also I defintely head canon smash Puff as a girl.)

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
The Doc came back because they realized nobody could heal the fighters other than him
He's not the only one though.
HEALPULSE.png

Why do you think she has that Nurse hat?
Sorry. Havn't played the games yet. That's what i thought.
But doesn't he fight you? And doesn't being a thief kinda make him a villian?
Yeah, you do fight him, he's a antagonist in Squeak Squad, you fight him twice, once by himself and also a second time while he's possessed by the game's bigger bad, Dark Nebula (which is one of the Dark Matters).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sorry. Havn't played the games yet. That's what i thought.
But doesn't he fight you? And doesn't being a thief kinda make him a villian?
Daroach is like Wario, only in it for the treasure. In Mass Attack, he helps Kirby as long as Kirby gets medals for him and helps gives hints to find medals.
Oh, and I'd also argue Knuckle Joe can be an exception provided he's slightly based off of the anime

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I wonder what the difference between Dream Land without Hazards and Dream Land Omega will be

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Finally, someone appreciating the medical work done by good old Doc.
Doc should’ve had a healing move when he came back in a Smash 4.

Okay, there was a post about someone not wanting every character to be from the ballot, and I agree.

I suppose it’s up to personal preference, but a majority of the characters seemingly pushed during the ballot do not interest me in the slightest (except Issac and Sora, oh please get in). And a character I want, Ayumi, would be a perfect WTF character.

But really most of my wants are really either from recent games or from less popular franchises like Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. I kind of wished we had a possible larger newcomer line up for more possible choices really.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Thinking of something, do you think we'll get a Gen 7 Pokemon stage?

I'm imagining either the bridge from the opening or the ruins of conflict. We didn't get a good look at Ultra Space until the sequel after all

If it's not Aether Paradise (which it should be, cause the Ultra Beasts are too good to be overlooked) then some Tapu Ruins stage would be a nice second pick, where different Tapus pop up and affect the stage with their terrain altering abilities.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We all know this doc's a total quack. I'd like to see when a plumber got the time to get a degree.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Daroach is like Wario, only in it for the treasure. In Mass Attack, he helps Kirby as long as Kirby gets medals for him and helps gives hints to find medals.
Oh, and I'd also argue Knuckle Joe can be an exception provided he's slightly based off of the anime
Ah i see.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh boy, lots to quote this time.

I just don't want Sakurai to make his newcomer choices based purely on popularity and the ballot.
You say that, but look at how the spin-off Mario rosters fare when they don't have much fan input.

I'm dying waiting for the update so here's another game while we pray for the new track to tide us over for the week.

Pick your favorite newcomers you want based on their color (main or secondary color)! My list:
Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Yellow - Zeraora / Mythra
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Red - Bandana Waddle Dee
Blue - Shovel Knight
Green - King K. Rool
Yellow - Tiny Kong
Purple - Shantae
Orange - Crash Bandicoot
White - Mona (MM/Gold version)
Black - Ryu Hayabusa
Brown (can't find color) - Banjo-Kazooie
Pink - Birdo

A "Hat Goomba" already exists as an actual Mario character.
Two of them, as a matter of fact.

Oh boy, just saw a promotional thing for that new Kirby game. Can't wait for all the Daroach fans arguing that he's an amazing, important character who "deserves" a slot in Smash. /s - I bet you he's gonna be the next "one" that everyone argues about. (Seriously)
View attachment 153509

The new Smash kirby rep has been right in front of us the whole time
ok but Daroach would be cool and you know it
If they say DAROACH is the next kirby rep. I'll officially be dead inside. He's just like Marx. Just another villain. and heck, at least Marx is popular. He'd be cool. but i highly doubt he'll be coming.
The thing with Kirby is that people arwe already arguing it's fine with characters. After Bandana Dee, where do you really go? Everyone is either a species or a character who only appeared once or twice. Other than Galacta Knight, nobody else really stays relevant outside of the Dream Friends. Personally, I'd accept any extra Kirby characters after Bandana Dee unless they're just generic enemies without their own identity, Dark Matter being an exception to this
I mean, the new Kirby games' characters kinda play like in Smash already.

Jokes aside, I'd argue people would want somebody like Adeleine or Marx next over Daroach. Whether Kirby "needs" any more characters in its Smash roster is ultimately up to whether Sakurai wants to get out of his comfort zone or not, but in the meantime I think Daroach can wait.

Even if the Squeaks' theme have already been in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Finally, someone appreciating the medical work done by good old Doc.
Everybody has to cause he’s earned the respect
He's not the only one though.
View attachment 153517Why do you think she has that Nurse hat?
She got the job thanks to Mario (then Peach became a nurse aswell)
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._will_use_up_over_half_of_your_switchs_memory
This here is how big the game is, and it ain't even out yet.

Do you think he would bring the main Squeaks with him in that state?
Damn

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It's probably going to be nothing
EVO is probably one of the few events where I think it’s possible to get a reveal.

EVO is big, and companies usually like to reveal stuff like characters and new fighting games during EVO. Sure Nintendo hasn’t done it before, but I think it’s possible to get a reveal because that’s when A) there are a lot of Smash fans since it’s the biggest Smash tournament, and B) At a perfect date to reveal someone due to the limited amount of time before release.

So EVO is probably the event I’m hyping myself for. Also for more Ultimate Gameplay shown off as well.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, with San Diego Comic Con this coming weekend, and the fact that Ultimate will be playable there, do y'all think we could get another character reveal then?
Very unlikely. I don't think Nintendo's ever revealed anything significant outside of a game expo and even then it's almost exclusively been E3 with GDC being in a distant second. Nintendo prefers to announce things on their own terms and when they know they are going to get a ton of media coverage without having to share.

Noipoi

Howdy!
What are some characters you know have zero chances but would still like to see?
I don't see Monokuma talked about much (probably for good reason).
I realize he's got like, -0 chances but as a Danganronpa fan seeing that douchebag in smash would be hilarious.
Not to mention "Punishment Time" would actually be a pretty badass final smash.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What are some characters you know have zero chances but would still like to see?

I realize he's got like, -0 chances but as a Danganronpa fan seeing this douchebag in smash would be hilarious.
No. A Punishment Time final smash would be garbage unless it's customized for every character

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I realize he's got like, -0 chances but as a Danganronpa fan seeing this douchebag in smash would be hilarious.
A lot of Pokémon. Scizor, Ampharos, Sceptile, Weavile, etc would all be pretty cool. Also Fawful (Mario and Luigi) and Maxwell from Scribblenauts.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of remixes:

So far the remixes sound good, tho I hope we get more varied remixes.
The new Lower Brinstar and Ridley themes are great, but we already got remixes of them.

And for :ultpalutena:'s sake,

No.
More.
DK Island Swing remix.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Aegis from Persona 3. She's one of my favourite video game characters and, well. She is a heavily armed robot girl with a Stand. Good moveset, good character and good opportunity to get "I don't want anime in Smash!" fans mad.

But she's not protag and Persona keeps getting more popular with each entry so she has zero chance, even if we get a fighter from the series.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean honestly for Kirby characters, Adeleine would be my preference.

That's also literally only because of Brawl in the Family, but still.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Hm. I was just talking conceptually. Like it's just crazy to look at a roster and have Mario playing Doctor as a seperate character, when Mario playing Construction Worker isn't.

I get the history of it, but was just saying it's weird :/.
Anyway no one likes talking about clones so....

Smash Sisters!
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpikachu::ultsheik::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss:

At 20 that's basically a third of the cast which is pretty good considering a chunk are gender ambiguous.

(Also before people fight me over it 75% of Jiggly Puff are female and with Pikachu confirming that not every alt has to be the same Pokemon it's very likely at least one is a female Jiggly Puff. Also I defintely head canon smash Puff as a girl.)
MAKE A WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP AND WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP DAMMIT

I think after Bandanna Dee, that's it for a long while unless we get a 5th character that would be solid for Smash rep. I don't see Kirby gaining any new reps after Dee

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I realize he's got like, -0 chances but as a Danganronpa fan seeing that douchebag in smash would be hilarious.
Remember.

Monokuma canonically hates Sonic.

As for me, I went through the trouble of making an entire support thread for my pipe dream.
Demon Summoner for Smash, wake up, sheeple.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Remember.

Monokuma canonically hates Sonic.
Monokuma vs Sonic event match, anyone?
In fact, speaking of which.
What event matches do you wanna see in this game?
I want a Mario vs Inkling match where you gotta clean all the ink, as a reference to Mario Sunshine.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Waluigi (RIP)
Henry Fleming
Several non-main lord characters from Fire Emblem (Virion, Merric, Caeda, Silque, Tobin, Lena, Mae, Hardin, Saber, Minerva, Frederick, Valbar, Ogma, Tiki...)
Several non-promoted Pokémon (Marowak, Qwilfish, Ursaring, Shiftry, Castform, Unfezant, Sigilyph, Sawsbuck, Chandelure, Klefki, Trevenant, Ribombee...)
Frogger

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Monokuma vs Sonic event match, anyone?
In fact, speaking of which.
What event matches do you wanna see in this game?
I want a Mario vs Inkling match where you gotta clean all the ink, as a reference to Mario Sunshine.
Hmm...

- Bayonetta vs Palutena & Pit
- (if she gets in) Elma and Samus vs giant Ridley (with the Telethia the Endbringer battle music playing)
- (if he gets in) Simon vs Snake

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I'll add to what Makai Wars said with the fact that Melee is 17 years old. At the time, Dr. Mario was way more relevant (Dr. Mario 64 had just came out, a great game btw) and there were no alternate costumes for anyone. He was back for the sake of being classic Mario and then a little bit more different. There's no real way to compare what happened in these games when they're apart by 13 years
Dr. Mario was chosen in Melee probably because of the lack of other viable clone options; Wario could have been made a Mario clone as Sakurai directly stated but Sakurai decided against it for whatever reason, so that pretty much just left stretching to Dr. Mario (and Dr. Mario also probably had the strength of being a near-free model, since all you had to do was change Mario's outfit). I can't think of any viable clone options that existed at that time that wasn't treading on a character already getting a clone.

As for Dr. Mario being brought back as a clone instead of an alt-costume, it wasn't for "the sake of being classic Mario". it's purely because of legacy reasons; Sakurai outright stated the reason he changed Doc from an alt-costume back to his old self in Smash 4's development was so fans of his Melee appearance wouldn't have been disappointed.

I never understood Doc's inclusion in melee, I know they needed to pad the roster and I know doctor mario sold well but...it's still mario. They could've kept him, young link and even pichu tbh and instead worked on making falco, roy and ganondorf more unique imo
The point of the Melee clones was quantity over quality, they were made in the first place because Sakurai felt the Melee roster was too underwhelming for what fans expected and decided to increase the roster size as much as he could. They could have cut Doc/Young Link/Pichu to make Falco/Roy/Ganon a bit more unique, but they still would have been heavily cloned and probably wouldn't have reached semi-clone status, all six of them didn't equal the development of a unique newcomer so even three of them with twice the development resources couldn't be made that distinct.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Speaking of remixes:

So far the remixes sound good, tho I hope we get more varied remixes.
The new Lower Brinstar and Ridley themes are great, but we already got remixes of them.

And for :ultpalutena:'s sake,

No.
More.
DK Island Swing remix.
Did someone say DK Island Swing!?

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Man, I really wish they consider WWE-concept in Smash by adding championships such as World, US, Japan, Coin, Time, Women's, Lightweight, Teams, etc instead of just making **** up

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Krystal - Although I wouldn't say her chances were 0% before E3, her being an Assist Trophy really ruins her chances.
Midna - I'd say she had decent chances due to her popularity, but her being an Assist Trophy once again ruins her chances.
Sceptile - Best shot he had was with ORAS releasing so close to Smash Wii U. Best thing he has now is if he miraculously scored high in the ballot.
Slippy - I'd say his chances are around 20%, because he has a lot going for him, but Krystal would probably get in before him. And she's an Assist Trophy.
Chibi-Robo - Zip-Lash actually showed a lot of moveset potential for the little guy. Unfortunately, it looks like Zip-Lash may be his last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom