• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Golden Sun/Rhythm Heaven/Chibi-Robo/Dillon's Rolling Western/ARMS:
1) "UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH, they could have picked so many better characters."
2) "I'm sure they'll have interesting movesets, but I just don't care about these characters."
3) "Woo, a single stage and a single character from the same series. Lots of great battles to re-enact here..."
4) "Oh hey, it's that one item from that one game that nobody knows."
5) "Aside from Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven, nothing else would even sound good."
And before someone tries to apply Geno to any of this, I'll list my points about how much of a better character he'd be to add than any of these:

1) Has a great combination of classic Nintendo/Square design. It's both simplistic, yet memorable and unique. It also pays homage to a time when RPGS weren't filled with slim, generic anime humans and had cool, wacky, and diverse characters all mixed together. Aside from that, Geno is also just an all-around great character; He's basically a god in the form of a children's toy, and while some could say that's edgy and over-powered, he's shown to be a relatively normal being that's merely part of a larger, mysterious world, and even he has his limits.

2) If you've ever played Super Mario RPG, you'll know Smash has a lot to put into a moveset for Geno. The "timed attacks" mechanic is also too good to pass up, and would be an interesting and unique mechanic for him that would make him more than just another ranged character with a gun for an arm.

3) Unlike Golden Sun/Rhythm Heaven/Chibi-Robo/Dillon's Rolling Western/ARMS, Geno could be thrown right into Smash even without a stage (although I'm sure he'd get one). He's part of the Mario series and could fit right in on any existing Mario stage. For players like me who like to re-enact fights from the games, Mario, Peach, and Bowser are all from Super Mario RPG, so again, he wouldn't be just a single character who has no relation to anyone else on the roster.

4) Mario already has a variety of items in Smash, most of which are, coincidentally, in SMRPG. There's not really a need for new items, but Mallow could be an assist trophy, making for a good, full SMRPG team pose.

5) The soundtrack for Super Mario RPG was composed by Nobuo Uematsu, Koji Kondo, and Yoko Shimomura. Just pick a random song from the game and you've already got a good one.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Golden Sun/Rhythm Heaven/Chibi-Robo/Dillon's Rolling Western/ARMS:
1) "UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH, they could have picked so many better characters."
2) "I'm sure they'll have interesting movesets, but I just don't care about these characters."
3) "Woo, a single stage and a single character from the same series. Lots of great battles to re-enact here..."
4) "Oh hey, it's that one item from that one game that nobody knows."
5) "Aside from Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven, nothing else would even sound good."
Goodness, you are a ball of sunshine...

Like, you're free not to like them, but you seem like you dislike all of them a fair bit, and I don't see any real reasons why.

Comes off like you just don't like what you aren't familiar with.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry, but as much as I love Chibi, I would need some characters from Advance Wars or S&P to get in first since they left a greater impact on Nintendo than him.
Yeah, especially considering that S&P conspicuously hasn't gotten any characters playable in here yet.

Woah woah woah.
You guys were having an unforgettable luncheon?
AND I MISSED IT?
All that over me assuming there'd be only one DLC character for a big roster, no less.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Here's my list of "predictions' for previously mentioned attributes.

King K. Rool
walking/dashing speed: Slow walking speed but average dash speed.
weight: The crocodilian would be the second heaviest character right behind bowser but in front of DK.
jump height/airspeed: Average jump with slow airspeed.
falling speed/fastfall: Falling speed like bowser but a faster fast fall.

Simon Belmont
walking/dashing speed: He'd be a slow character in both categories.
weight: About Captain Falcon's and Link's weight.
jump height/airspeed: Lower tier of jump heights with poor airspeed.
falling speed/fastfall: Fast falling speed with an slightly faster fast fall.

Heihachi Mishima
walking/dashing speed: About Falco's dashing speed.
weight: A bit heavier than Ryu.
jump height/airspeed: Similiar to Ryu
falling speed/fastfall: Both medium

Banjo-Kazooie
walking/dashing speed: About Ness' speed when it comes to dashing.
weight: About Shulk's weight.
jump height/airspeed: Similiar to Roy
falling speed/fastfall:

Decidueye
walking/dashing speed: Fast dash due to flight.
weight: Among the lightest characters about Palutena's weight.
jump height/airspeed: About Falco's height with good airspeed.
falling speed/fastfall: Slow falling speed.

Eh, this is harder then I first thought.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
I'm dying waiting for the update so here's another game while we pray for the new track to tide us over for the week.

Pick your favorite newcomers you want based on their color (main or secondary color)! My list:
Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Yellow - Zeraora / Mythra
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip

Red - Anna
Blue - Paper Mario
Green - Tiki
Yellow - Henry Fleming
Purple - Shantae
Orange - Bandana Dee
White - Rabbid Luigi
Black - Dark Matter
Brown - Geno
Pink - Dixie

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

King K. Rool
weight: The crocodilian would be the second heaviest character right behind bowser but in front of DK.

Simon Belmont

Heihachi Mishima

Banjo-Kazooie
falling speed/fastfall:

Decidueye

Is Bowser really the heaviest?
I feel like King K. Rool's thing is he could be the new heaviest. I mean a defining feature of him is that he's a big fat crocodile. I feel like it would fit him well and set him apart from the other heavies.

Iridium

Smash Hero

King K. Rool

Simon Belmont

Heihachi Mishima

Banjo-Kazooie
falling speed/fastfall:

Decidueye

You know, I just want to use base stats for Pokémon as an excuse for Lucario being just as fast as Pikachu. If we did though, Decidueye would be in a tough spot.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So I'd like to try something new.

I'll ask you how you feel about a new character from an underrepresented series but.... I'll ask it in a five question format.

1. How excited are you for this potential character, identity wise? Meaning who the character is and what they represent.
2. How excited are you for this potential character's potential moveset?
3. How excited are you for a potential stage from this series?
4. How excited are you for potential items and assist trophies from this series?
5. How excited are you for potential music from this series?

I'd like you guys to answer these questions for five series right now.

Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven
Chibi-Robo
Dillon's Rolling Western
ARMS
1. (Golden Sun) Pretty excited, Golden Sun was a creative and fun RPG in it's day, and seeing HD representation would be great nostalgia.
2. Mostly excited here. Lots and lots to play with for a moveset.
3. Stage would be cool, but I'm not sure which one would be best.
4. ATs that summon Felix and Jenna would be cool. or incorporating them into a final smash of some sort that uses multiple Djinn.
5. Don't remember much of the series music sadly.

1. (Rhythm Heaven) I don't know too much about the series, but I've always admired odd additions.
2. Excited to see how this would work while keeping the character viable. Inkling, GW and Villager give me hope.
3. Would be a cool stage with musical-based hazards.
4. Don't know much about items from the series or anything.
5. I'd imagine unique music would be kind of a given, so I'd expect good things.

And I don't actually know too much about the other series, although I'm learning more about ARMs on here.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Goodness, you are a ball of sunshine...

Like, you're free not to like them, but you seem like you dislike all of them a fair bit, and I don't see any real reasons why.

Comes off like you just don't like what you aren't familiar with.
I like these games, but there's just better characters to add. Palutena and another Kid Icarus Uprising rep make more sense to me, though I can imagine that everyone except Pit will be axed in the next Smash game since there's not gonna be another Kid Icarus game for a long time, according to Sakurai.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven
Chibi-Robo
Dillon's Rolling Western
ARMS
I haven't played a second of any of these games, but new representation is always cool, so I'd be up for a character/stage each. Plus the music I've heard from any of these has been great, so I'd be pumped to have more.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Woah woah woah.
You guys were having an unforgettable luncheon?
AND I MISSED IT?
All that over me assuming there'd be only one DLC character for a big roster, no less.
If you want to see it, it starts here and spirals out of control for a page or two. :laugh:
They showed every base roster character; except Ganondorf and Mewtwo (through implication) and Pichu and Jigglypuff (in plain sight), all four of which are unlockable.

With the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" thing, they'd have to show all 68 characters, but have 99 characters in the game, to show the same percentage as Melee's roster. :laugh:
Sounds good to me.
But what if...the hundredth character is the game's only character DLC?
View attachment 153356
Hohohohoho... delightfully devilish, KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 !
It actually all started from us talking about Melee's trailer; I pointed out how Melee had about three-quarters of it's roster appearing in it's trailer/opening, and pointed out that Ultimate would need 99 Characters to have the same roster/trailer proportion.

Last edited:
Man, I really wish they consider WWE-concept in Smash by adding championships such as World, US, Japan, Coin, Time, Women's, Lightweight, Teams, etc instead of just making **** up
Smash Bros WWE Championship mode....

I never knew I needed this in my life...

While we're talking about weight I got an idea.

What do you all think of the attributes your most wanted newcomers might have if they were to be playable?
King K Rool: A big, heavy boy. Heavier than DK, but not Bowser. Surprisingly fast and agile. Very vulnerable to combos and not very fast in the air.

Geno: Reflecting the fact that his offense is the highest and his defense is the lowest in SMRPG, Geno is a glass cannon, dealing lots of damage (that can be increased by hitting the A button at the right time), but being a lightweight and easily killed. Speed is... alright, nothing special.

I'm not listing anyone else on my wishlist because I'm either unsure how they'd function (Simon Belmont) or I think they would be an echo if added (like Shadow), making detailing their attributes pointless.

...Wow, this is hard.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
King. K. Rool really is much, much larger than DK.

He would have to be closer in size to Kong in Smash, but still larger.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So I'd like to try something new.

I'll ask you how you feel about a new character from an underrepresented series but.... I'll ask it in a five question format.

1. How excited are you for this potential character, identity wise? Meaning who the character is and what they represent.
2. How excited are you for this potential character's potential moveset?
3. How excited are you for a potential stage from this series?
4. How excited are you for potential items and assist trophies from this series?
5. How excited are you for potential music from this series?

I'd like you guys to answer these questions for five series right now.

Golden Sun
Rhythm Heaven
Chibi-Robo
Dillon's Rolling Western
ARMS
Golden Sun? - Isaac has a sword, so "very excited" is my answer to 1 and 2. Don't know enough to answer the rest, but the one song in Smash is cool, I guess. I'll play GS when I have the chance I promise.
Though I think both Matthew's design and adult Isaac from the DS game look a lot better.
By the way, would Matthew work as an Echo of Isaac? At first glance I'd say yes, and looking at the current Echoes that seems to be more or less enough.
Rhythm Heaven? - I don't care much about RH characters, but I reeeaally want a stage with remixed music.
Specifically, a good remix of this:
I do think the Chorus Kids would work better as an Assist, but I'd be okay with whatever form they put them in.
ARMS? - All I have to say is that I'd rather have Twintelle or Ribbon Girl over Springman. I know Springman would be unique in Smash, but Twintelle/Ribbon Girl can do what he would while having more to offer.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Simon Belmont
I think Belmont's aerial mobility will be just like Ryu's; good air speed but bottom of the barrel aerial acceleration. In the Castlevania games Belmont jumps through the air about as fast or even faster than he walks, he just either can't control his jump midair or has limited control (depending on the game), so fast air speed with almost no aerial acceleration will reflect this in Smash and make his maximum air movement fast but all his jumps highly committal, as the terrible aerial acceleration will make him extremely slow to change direction midair. Belmont will also probably fall like a brick and could be a contender for fastest falling speed in the game.

Weight-wise I think he would be a bit heavier than that and be around Ike's to Samus' weight; he's beefier than Falcon and especially Link, while having armor and gear on him.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

What do you all think of the attributes your most wanted newcomers might have if they were to be playable?
Dovahkiin would be pretty heavy and slow, sort of around Snake/Ike area with all of his armor.

K. Rool of course would be Bowser/DK levels of heavy.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Flynn would have a sword, a gun, and his entire party of demons to summon. He'd probably be around Shulk's speed and weight to balance out his specials.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Who's Choco? Is he a Melee/Smash 4 player?
Yeah, a Japanese ZSS player, ranked 2nd in Japan now for SSB4. He only attended the U.S. once at Apex 2015, but he has not attended anything out of Japan since then, so I think it will be cool to see him. I have no problem with SSBU though, but I don't want people to only think of that at EVO specifically.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Aaaaaaah the amount of head scratching and apathy I see for chibi in here is appalling and Nintendo is definitely to blame. Chibi robo as a design and concept is literal gold, but Nintendo has done an awful job promoting it.

From Walmart exclusive games, releasing on dying consoles, Japan only releases, and awful gimmicky departures from its core formula, Nintendo has done everything possible to kill the franchise. Most of the people here that still root for the guy are the people that played his original core games and know more about his character and what he brings to the table.

Surprisingly, Chibi checks all of the boxes of a long term IP that should make it into smash besides popularity. Which sucks because he could be so much more popular if Nintendo would stop shafting the series at every turn.

He has loads of moveset potential, has gotten plenty of games, was relevant around the time of smash 5's project plan, and has so much source material to work with. If chibi doesn't make it, it will 100% be because of his popularity.

If given a proper second chance in Nintendo's new age of promoting with an actual core chibi game, I could see the franchise really taking off. With zip lash's failure however, I don't see it happening. Maybe an appearance in smash could save the little guy, idk. I just really want chibi.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

Does anybody else recognize this character? You will be blessed with your main not being low tier if you get it right. I don't think this character is very likely, but his games were received pretty well to note regardless.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Does anybody else recognize this character? You will be blessed with your main not being low tier if you get it right. I don't think this character is very likely, but his games were received pretty well to note regardless.
The story of thor for the sega mega drive?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Nintendo is going to invest in a game that still hasn't caught on in popularity, there is no better advertisement than Smash Brothers.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
King K Rool: Heavyweight Fighter with surprising speed and agility with access to heavy hiring projectiles. Similar to Dedede but more range and projectile focus.

Dixie Kong: Floatier than Diddy minus the speed. Her hair gives her longer range for attacks. Other than that, she feels similar to Diddy but not an outright echo clone.

Dark Samus: A crazy ************. I guess I’m ok with her being an Echo of Samus but I want to see more erratic movements with wild atmospheric effects. In terms of attributes, a bit floatier and lighter than Samus with Phazon corrupting damage akin to being poisoned.

Decidueye: a mixed bag with excellent projectile and close combat game. Potential hit and run plus trapper. Can use Spirit Shackle to keep opponents stunned for set ups. Light weight with multiple jumps. A little taller than Lucario.

Springman: Little Mac but with amazing reach. Lacks the power of Mac but makes up for in reach and jumping ability. The farther he is, the more damage he does. Heavier and taller than Little Mac.

Elma: Lacks killing power of other characters but boasts tremendous combo abilities with flexibility in her moveset. Can switch between guns and swords on the fly. Very nimble and offensive. Stands about the height Marth. Medium weight.

Impa: Echo of Shiek. Hits a bit harder with a little more lag. Basically a more slower and hard hitting echo clone.

Banjo-Kazooie: Mid range like Mario with similar height. A little heavier. Access to many forms of combat. A little on the slow side but his rolling dash attack can be used to close distance. He has multiple jumps thanks to Kazooie.

And now time for my own personal wants:

Fighter Hayabusa: Pure grappler with wrestling oriented moves. A brick wall with high defense and offense potential. Lots of superarmor. Good jumping ability. However, very slow walking speed and slow running upon start up. Size is about the Phantom Knight for Zelda with a weight around Ike.

Master Chief: Projectile specialist with ability to cycle through numerous weapon types. Decent running speed and jump. Has great offensive abilities a with a high rate of damage. Decent defense but suspectable to being comboed. Size is around Samus with Snake weight.

Chrono: Magical swordsman with impressive speed. He his faster than most other swordsman but requires more time to cast his magic. Poor defense with a focus on offense.

Scorpion: A offensive character with both short and long distance options. A brutal fighter who attacks shows no mercy. The more damage he deals to opponents, the stronger and more brutal they get. About the size of Ike with the weight of Shiek.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

King K. Rool
Personally, I look at K. Rool having the following attributes...
  • One of the slowest walkers; 0.8.
  • Running speed is tied with Mario; 1.6.
  • Heaviest fighter, surpassing Bowser; 135.
  • Jump height is tied with Bowser; 33.
    • Hop height is 15.
    • Mid-air jump height is 33.
  • Surprisingly mobile in the air (1.21 air speed), but air acceleration is rather weak (0.06 max air accel.).
  • High falling speed, being tied with King Dedede; 1.95 (3.12 fast-fall).
  • Gravity would be near average levels; 0.09.
    • Combined with the high weight and high falling speed, King K. Rool would have the best endurance against vertical knockback.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Hm. I was just talking conceptually. Like it's just crazy to look at a roster and have Mario playing Doctor as a seperate character, when Mario playing Construction Worker isn't.

I get the history of it, but was just saying it's weird :/.
Anyway no one likes talking about clones so....

Smash Sisters!
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpikachu::ultsheik::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss:

At 20 that's basically a third of the cast which is pretty good considering a chunk are gender ambiguous.

(Also before people fight me over it 75% of Jiggly Puff are female and with Pikachu confirming that not every alt has to be the same Pokemon it's very likely at least one is a female Jiggly Puff. Also I defintely head canon smash Puff as a girl.)
Left out Wendy...unless she isn’t important enough
Hmm...

- Bayonetta vs Palutena & Pit
- (if she gets in) Elma and Samus vs giant Ridley (with the Telethia the Endbringer battle music playing)
- (if he gets in) Simon vs Snake
I’d rather beat the **** out of an army of Bayos as Pit for an event than play her to beat up my main and one of my green haired waifus

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I like these games, but there's just better characters to add. Palutena and another Kid Icarus Uprising rep make more sense to me, though I can imagine that everyone except Pit will be axed in the next Smash game since there's not gonna be another Kid Icarus game for a long time, according to Sakurai.
I don't think KI is exactly starving for Smash content...it's already the most overrepresented series in terms of number of games -> content. So even though I can respect your personal preferences, I wouldn't hold your breath. I also wouldn't use absolute terms when deciding who "deserves" to be in or not, because your opinion is very, very subjective and self-referential. A better way to put it is "I don't know these characters, and they're not my cup of tea, so I'll pass."

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I've been on vacation for 100 pages. Did I miss anything important?
Source Gaming made a post about Chorus Kids being listed on SSBU's IMDB even though anyone can edit it. (They also listed Bubsy. Source Gaming just didn't say it xD I actually knew it before SG said anything)
And we argued some. nothing new.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
King K. Rool
• heaviest fighter
• short range
• Three sets of specials toggled with Down B
• Down B is a spin attack that changes costumes
• King, Pirate, Baron

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So apparently a Japanese news outlet held a poll for their readers about what characters they'd like to see in Smash Bros. Here's the article, and here's their Top 5:
  1. Rex
  2. Bandana Dee
  3. Springman
  4. King K. Rool
  5. Sora
THIS MEANS THAT SORA HAS A CHANCE.

Edit: Dang @NeonBurrito with the :ultgreninja:

Still.

THIS MEANS THAT SORA HAS A CHANCE.

They also held a questionnaire about Echo Fighters, and surprise surprise, the top 5 are:
  1. Shadow
  2. Chrom
  3. Ken
  4. Jeanne
  5. Dark Samus
Because people want him gives him a chance. but popularity isn't the only factor. And haven't people wanted Sora for a long time now?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
skip to @1:02

i wish they do this in ultimate but it would be difficult to make 3d skeletons models for everyone aside from kirby, MK, inkling, and jiggly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom