• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Here’s something fun to try:

Add one, promote one, and rosterblock one. (Add a newcomer, promote an AT, pokeball, boss, item, hazard, game element, trophy), and deny a roster addition to an unconfirmed newcomer.

Add one: Elma
Promote one: Takamaru
Rosterblock one: Ashley
Add one: Rayman
Promote one: Waluigi
Rosterblock one: Rex and Pyra

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey Opossum Opossum , do you mean Henry Fleming from The Red Badge of Courage?
Technically yes but also no.

Henry Fleming is the main character of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., which stars Nintendo's take on a bunch of public domain literary characters (so in this case, it's their take on Henry from The Red Badge of Courage). So it's that version of Henry that I want. :p

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Given that Xenoblade X was the most recent title at the time the roster was being conceptualized (especially given its international release date), there is really no reason to consider them for the base roster when Elma was the most recent Xenoblade character at the time and we all know that what's recent around the time Sakurai starts conceptualizing the game is what's important in terms of recency. He said it himself:

(And I have doubts if we are even going to get a Xenoblade character in the base roster)
You've brought the point up before. I'm well aware of Sakurai's comments and how characters are typically chosen beforehand.

Yes, odds are against these guys, but I don't think it's utterly impossible for them to show up on the base roster. History might suggest that it's too late for a XC2 rep, but Sakurai can do many unexpected things that would surprise us. You were adamant about there being cuts in Ultimate, but then the exact opposite happened and every character returned. Didn't you find that surprising?

Pakky

Smash Hero

Add one, promote one, and rosterblock one. (Add a newcomer, promote an AT, pokeball, boss, item, hazard, game element, trophy), and deny a roster addition to an unconfirmed newcomer.

Add one: King K rool
Promote one: Ashley
Rosterblock one: Shadow

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Add: Celica
Promote: Chrom
Rosterblock: If I can go specific, anime-inspired Mimikyu. If it needs of be a whole character, maybe Octolings? That's tough.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Add K. Rool
Promote Dark Samus
Block anymore 3rd parties

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well let'd have multiple games going at once.

What are your following answers to these roster scenarios

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Basic Outcome/Simply Meh:

Worst Outcome:

-----
Best Outcome: I, and most others get our most wanted through the base roster or DLC

Satisfying Outcome: At least half of of my top picks get in somehow

Basic Outcome: King K Rool gets in

Worst Outcome: We get a bunch of a niche nobodies and Echo fighters and no one else.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Add: Rex & Pyra/Mythra
Promote: Takamaru
Rosterblock: I don't like the idea of restricting the roster, but Steve.(He just wouldn't look right)

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Best outcome: Ballot winners fall from the sky, all the long requested characters get in and everyone is happy.

Satisfying Outcome: We only get like 3 more newcomers and some echoes but a good amount of fan demand is met

Basic outcome: the above but promotional fighters over requested ones

Worst outcome: R A B B I D S

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

Add One: Revali
Promote One: Isaac.
Rosterblock One: (Everything that's not the two above) but legit, Simon Belmont. I wanna see the leak be wrong.

EDIT - As for outcomes:

Best outcome: We get newcomers that people have been waiting for. Isaac, King K Rool, Dixie, Ashley, A Rhythm Heaven Rep, Decidueye AND Mimikyu to appease both groups, Lyndis comes through in DLC, Elma, Rex & Pyra, etc... Do you see where I'm going with this?

Satisfying Outcome: I'd be satisfied as long as we get at least 3 fan request characters since seeing another fanbase satisfied makes me feel satisfied vicariously (Though Isaac would have to be one of those spots).

Basic Outcome: One more newcomer from the ballot, the rest are promotional. We discover that the game doesn't have much in terms of modes either.

Worst Outcome: Only new promotional characters or picks from the ballot that are completely casual selections like the Rabbids or something along those lines. No Isaac, K Rool, Ashley, Xenoblade Rep, etc.

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Technically yes but also no.

Henry Fleming is the main character of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., which stars Nintendo's take on a bunch of public domain literary characters (so in this case, it's their take on Henry from The Red Badge of Courage). So it's that version of Henry that I want. :p
Ah. I always thought Abe Lincoln was the main character from that game. Seeing the character's image, I think I'd prefer he look more like Audie Murphy.

Edit:
Add: Captain Toad
Promote: Waluigi
Block: Son Goku

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Best Outcome: Literally nearly everyone that's not a licensed character is included as playable from the ballot.

Satisfying Outcome: The base game gets 10 newcomers, but also a boatload of DLC that includes many third-parties.

Basic Outcome: A handful of newcomers and Echoes for the base game, and just a few DLC characters with at least one or two third-parties.

Worst Outcome: Everything from the E3 reveal is the base roster, little to none of the ballot choices are picked, Rabbids are picked over Rayman, Smash Tour is back.

Add: Captain Syrup
You're Getting A Promotion: Rayman
Rosterblock: Gooey

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Worst Outcome:

-----
Best Outcome: I, and most others get our most wanted through the base roster or DLC

Worst Outcome: We get a bunch of a niche nobodies and Echo fighters and no one else.
Best Outcome: Everyone in my signature (and more) is playable.

Satisfying Outcome: At least one of the characters in my signature gets in.

Basic Outcome: None of my signature characters get in and no bad additions are added.

Worst Outcome: Every character in my signature gets the Smash 4 Chrom humiliation treatment, the remaining newcomers mostly consist of alternate versions of existing characters like Paper Mario, Classic Sonic, Evil Ryu, Detective Pikachu, and Pink Gold Peach. Also Mimikyu gets in as the terrible anime version of itself.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Colonel, why is Mario wearing scrubs? I thought he was a plumber...

Colonel: That's not just regular Mario, that's Dr. Mario, Snake. His profession is eradicating viruses and diseases in the Mushroom Kingdom with his colorful Megavitamins.

Snake: Dr. Mario? So he got a medical license within the past 10 years...

Colonel: Mario has actually had this profession since the 1980s, he retired from it temporarily. He's not too different from his plumber persona, so most of the same strategies used to fight regular Mario should work here.

Snake: This going to be one heck of a physical...

osby

Smash Obsessed

Add one: Dixie Kong
Promote one: Ashley
Rosterblock one: King K.Rool

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Add: Marx
Promote: Kamek
Rosterblock: Incineroar (I like Decidueye and Dusk Lycanroc more)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Worst Outcome:

-----

Best Outcome: K. Rool, Geno, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Porky, Dark Samus and Crash all get in.

Satisfying Outcome: I'm already satisfied with just Ridley, but K. Rool on top of him would leave me feeling that there are no big holes to fill anymore, so give me him and I won't be actively requesting anyone anymore.

Basic Outcome: None of the above get in, but the ones we get are still decent additions.

Worst Outcome: None of the above get in + the rest of the newcomers are niche or purely promotional choices. Too many 3rd parties would also be bad imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Add one: Decidueye
Promote one: Isaac
Rosterblock one: Mimikyu

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Worst Outcome:

-----

Best Outcome: I get all of the newcomers in my sig that aren't disconfirmed.

Satisfying Outcome: Decidueye gets in.

Simply Meh: Decidueye does not make it in, but none of my unwanted characters make it in either.

Worst Outcome: None of my wanted characters make it in, and we get Mimikyu, Steve, Rabbids, Geno, Sora, at least one Gen 1 Pokemon and/or at least one Fourth Party character as unique newcomers, with Shadow and Dark Samus among the many Echoes.
Rosterblock : Decidyeye
download.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Bunch of games and theories to comment on...
Here's a question.

What is the character with the most recent debut that you think will get in?

Both for unique characters and echoes.
Unique - Pokemon Newcomer. Greninja was the most recent for Smash 4's base and I expect to see the same here. Arms & Xenoblade will have to wait for dlc...probably.
Echo - In this order Octoling, Isabelle, Chrom. Weird to think that none of them are really 'recent' (Octoling having been around since Splatoon 1 really). But it was a game built in a shorter time frame.
I think I figured out something about the development cycle of Smash 4 DLC and Ultimate's roster choices...

1. Smash for 3DS/Wii U release with its base roster.

2. Plans for DLC are formed. :ultmewtwo: Mewtwo is picked as a super popular character to include for DLC. :ultlucas:Lucas and :ultroy: Roy are picked to be popular returning veterans from Melee and Brawl respectively. :ultryu: Ryu and :ultcloud: Cloud are picked to be big name characters that will draw in the hype. :ultcorrin: Corrin is eventually picked to be a character that will be used to advertise an upcoming game. That would give us six slots. If you were around the Nintenzone social during the DLC days, you may recall that soon after the game launched, we found six slots for DLC characters. Only six. Not the seven that we would eventually receive.

3. The ballot launches. Sakurai and his team plan to ignore votes for any character that was already planned to be included. The ballot continues and Sakurai finally starts to work on plans for Ultimate.

4. Sakurai sees that veterans are scoring really high on the ballot. Sakurai then decides that he will make Ultimate's main goal to bring everyone back. Sakurai decides that he will add no more veterans as DLC in order to hype up Ultimate. Veterans are knocked out of the running. as they'll be included next game.

5. Sakurai picks a handful of characters that scored really well on the ballot for Ultimate's initial plan. He picks multiple winners.

6. Sakurai decides that one of these characters should be included for DLC for Smash 4. Sakurai decides that the character should be a now or never character. One where timing could play a big factor in requests for Smash. One that could be used to advertise something current. Other characters with predicted long staying requests or the inability to advertise anything will be held off for the next one.

7. Sakurai picks Bayonetta from his list of winners to be the final DLC character for Smash 4 as she was the ballot winner that fit all those criteria.

8. The seventh DLC slot is added.

9. Bayonetta is released.

10. Ultimate starts serious development with every veteran and several ballot winners in tow.

Major takeaway from this theory?

Bayonetta wasn't the winner. She was one of the winners.

The only reason she got into Smash 4 was because she was the prime candidate to advertise something. Not because she didn't win the ballot, but because of the ballot winners, she could advertise something right then and potentially only then, the best.

If Bayonetta didn't make it into Smash 4, she would have made it into Ultimate with the rest of the ballot winners. Who knows? Maybe :ultinkling: Inkling, :ultridley: Ridley and :ultdaisy: Daisy are some of those characters.

She wasn't THE winner, but one of several. Bayonetta was just a taste of what is to come. :ultbayonetta:
I've always thought it was clear Bayonetta wasn't #1 overall. I thought it was even stated she was #1 amongst realizable fighters, which literally can mean anything (for example with Inklings it could be their paint mechanic would have to be built for every character model). So yea this makes sense.

I'm still not ready to say even 75% of the newcomers will be Ballot picks, maybe 50%. It'll be interesting to see.

Add: Mimikyu
Promote: Pauline from a stage background (honestly there was no one else I'd rather. Waluigi was a close second to hush his fans, but I do like Pauline more).
Block: ....can I say all second third party series reps? (Tails, Ken, Ms. Pac-Man etc.) No? How about any Sonic character?....Fine...then I guess Steve.

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Worst Outcome:

-----

Best: Mimikyu & Twintelle get added. Honestly that plus Ridley and it would be over. Best game of the millennia.

Satisfying: Every additional newcomer is incredibly unique and fun to play whether or not I originally wanted them. Echoes are pretty cool to (nothing like Metal Mario or Dr. Luigi). Oh also there's some kind of adventure mode or a really good event mode. I'm not talking Subspace, so no story, but definitely a platformer visiting different game universes to unlock new characters.

Basic : This is the whole game. Ships as is. Honestly would be 100% fine.

Worst: This was hard to think of as I'm so happy with this game already, but I'll go back to the block character category. We get like...20 more newcomers and 18 of them are third party characters. From series I don't care at all about or have little to do with Nintendo, and also Sonic gets like 4 new characters. Also Steve.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
There's many ATs I want to promote.

Add one: King K Rool
Promote one: Waluigi
Rosterblock one: Rayman

osby

Smash Obsessed

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Worst Outcome:

-----

Best outcome: Newcomers will be a mix of retro, surprise, new and long waited characters with interesting movesets and one or two echo fighters4
Satisfying outcome: One or two new characters, no new echoes besides Daisy
Basic outcome: The ones we've seen and rest are most voted ones in the ballot
Worst outcome: Roster is filled with old characters only Smashboards care about and third parties

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

Add: Mimikyu
Promote: Ashley
Rosterblock: Shadow

Best Outcome: Mimikyu, K. Rool, Ashley, Elma, Simon, and Captain Toad get in. A few more newcomers other than them too.

Satisfying Outcome: Incineroar, Rex/Pyra, Simon, and Dixie get in.

Basic Outcome/Simply Meh: Decidueye, Rex/Pyra, Dixie, and Echo Shadow gets in.

Worst Outcome: 7 Echos get in and Decidueye. Thats it.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Worst Outcome:

-----

Best Outcome: AT promotions, Getting all the characters in my signature, and everyone else getting the characters they wanted too in the base roster and/or DLC

Satisfying Outcome: Half or at least one of my picks make it in.

Basic Outcome: King K. Rool and Simon makes it in, but none of my characters in my Signature do (at least their fans will be happy), while getting characters I didn't want but they are far from being bad characters or additions to the roster

Worst Outcome: None of the characters I want make it in while also getting an inclusion of bad nobody newcomers, and echo fighters.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, I love Smash Forum games.

Add: Dovahkiin (K. Rool, I hope you get in another way, but I need to promote my pipe dream)
Promote: Midna
Block: ...eh, if I get Dovahkiin, I seriously will let everyone else in. I guess Steve from Minecraft? I'm also not big on Geno personally, but give me the Dragonborn and I'll even celebrate the puppet.

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Worst Outcome:
Best: Dovahkiin is in by some miracle. Even if it's just DLC - I really want to see him fight the dragons of the game :ultridley::4charizard::ultcorrin:, and to team up with Link after BotW was really influenced by it and Skyrim for Switch took the Zelda gear (and maybe even was influenced itself a bit with the new Survival mode based on temperatures?). Plus Kirby with the viking helmet screaming "FUS RO DAH" would be the cutest thing ever. Also, we get all of the Champions, or at least Urbosa. And K.Rool, naturally. And Tails would be cool too.

Satisfying: Just K.Rool and one of the others above.

Basic: K.Rool and nobody else from my wants, but a lot of other characters I don't care about from other games I haven't played.

Worst: Not even the Kroc. Just a roster full of characters I have no connection to.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think I figured out something about the development cycle of Smash 4 DLC and Ultimate's roster choices...

1. Smash for 3DS/Wii U release with its base roster.

2. Plans for DLC are formed. :ultmewtwo: Mewtwo is picked as a super popular character to include for DLC. :ultlucas:Lucas and :ultroy: Roy are picked to be popular returning veterans from Melee and Brawl respectively. :ultryu: Ryu and :ultcloud: Cloud are picked to be big name characters that will draw in the hype. :ultcorrin: Corrin is eventually picked to be a character that will be used to advertise an upcoming game. That would give us six slots. If you were around the Nintenzone social during the DLC days, you may recall that soon after the game launched, we found six slots for DLC characters. Only six. Not the seven that we would eventually receive.

3. The ballot launches. Sakurai and his team plan to ignore votes for any character that was already planned to be included. The ballot continues and Sakurai finally starts to work on plans for Ultimate.

4. Sakurai sees that veterans are scoring really high on the ballot. Sakurai then decides that he will make Ultimate's main goal to bring everyone back. Sakurai decides that he will add no more veterans as DLC in order to hype up Ultimate. Veterans are knocked out of the running. as they'll be included next game.

5. Sakurai picks a handful of characters that scored really well on the ballot for Ultimate's initial plan. He picks multiple winners.

6. Sakurai decides that one of these characters should be included for DLC for Smash 4. Sakurai decides that the character should be a now or never character. One where timing could play a big factor in requests for Smash. One that could be used to advertise something current. Other characters with predicted long staying requests or the inability to advertise anything will be held off for the next one.

7. Sakurai picks Bayonetta from his list of winners to be the final DLC character for Smash 4 as she was the ballot winner that fit all those criteria.

8. The seventh DLC slot is added.

9. Bayonetta is released.

10. Ultimate starts serious development with every veteran and several ballot winners in tow.

Major takeaway from this theory?

Bayonetta wasn't the winner. She was one of the winners.

The only reason she got into Smash 4 was because she was the prime candidate to advertise something. Not because she didn't win the ballot, but because of the ballot winners, she could advertise something right then and potentially only then, the best.

If Bayonetta didn't make it into Smash 4, she would have made it into Ultimate with the rest of the ballot winners. Who knows? Maybe :ultinkling: Inkling, :ultridley: Ridley and :ultdaisy: Daisy are some of those characters.

She wasn't THE winner, but one of several. Bayonetta was just a taste of what is to come. :ultbayonetta:
You just described my thoughts on the ballot winners

And this is also the whole key to why I think king k rool is playable in this one he's one of the winners

By the way Ridley he didn't get top ten because of disconfirmed as a hazard at that time and thought as smash 4 playable

But sakurai knew Ridley would be in the winner zone if it weren't for that

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman

Add one: Paper Mario
Promote one: Porky
Rosterblock one: Shadow

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Best outcome: One character after another that fans have dreamed of for years finally make their way into the game, alongside an epic story mode and the return of character specific break the targets. Alternatively, Rayman makes it in. I don't need anything after that.

Satisfying Outcome: With every veteran returning and :ultridley: I already have my satisfying outcome.

Basic outcome: The only way my excitement could drop down to this level is if we get several characters that I outright dislike or a bunch of Corrin-esque new blood promotional characters that nobody would care about otherwise given 5 years time.

Worst outcome: Waluigi is still an assist trophy.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Best Outcome: Getting more obscure characters from unrepresented series, either in the base roster or through DLC.

Satisfying Outcome: Most of my wanted characters make it through the game.

Basic Outcome/Simply Meh: Just 4-5 more newcomers (counting Echo), just a few new stages and music tracks.

Worst Outcome: No Panel De Pon content, No Fountain of Dreams, Smash Tour returns with no other single player content, most new characters are echoes, like Dixie, Shadow, Dark Samus (You know, the characters that DON'T FIT THE ROLE) or 3rd Parties.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Promote one: Dixie
Rosterblock one: Rex & Pyra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom