• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
A little late but.... Today's Item
Knuckles the Echidna Assist Trophy
Knuckles attacks nearby fighters with his fist. He can also dig into the ground and then attack with an uppercut, so be careful!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here’s something fun to try:

Add one, promote one, and rosterblock one. (Add a newcomer, promote an AT, pokeball, boss, item, hazard, game element, trophy), and deny a roster addition to an unconfirmed newcomer.

Add one: Elma
Promote one: Takamaru
Rosterblock one: Ashley
Promote one: Fiora
Rosterblock one: Mach Rider on second thought, Steve (Minecraft) has higher priority for rosterblocking soooo imma go with him

yes I’m aware of my Xeno-Bias(TM)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Did you guys see this? Pretty cool seeing how much a console is representative

Credit:https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8vhpvp/console_representation_in_ssbu_so_far/
This is really cool!

There's a few things I find interesting or annoying and I know you didn't make this so I'm just voicing them to the void.

- Palutena really isn't representitive of her original appearance. This can be said of a number of characters (Zelda, Daisy etc.) but I feel like Palutena really stands out. I get it's just showing their origin but it's interesting to look at.
- Really helps to show the Gen 1 oversaturation (and Pichu is barely a different gen Pokemon).
- Have a huggggeeeee problem with Roy being a GCN rep. I get it I get it, but like...come on. Not a fan.
- WOW DS for being like what Nintendo's second best selling..maybe third...but very successful system is not represented at all. Weird to see.
- I don't like that the miis are counted as separate characters. It works for the Pokemon, but the miis are miis. Over inflates the Wii representation at just a glance, should actually be less than 3DS which is crazy.
- I know we haven't seen Ultimate's full roster but I like what this shows for how the Wii U is represented lol. On the other hand I hope we see some Switch representation at least in DLC.

Overall super cool! Goes to show how much of Nintendo is reused and hardly ever creates new staple characters. I think Sakurai made a comment about that during Brawl Dojo days reffering to Olimar being one of the most recent characters.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
History might suggest that it's too late for a XC2 rep, but Sakurai can do many unexpected things that would surprise us. You were adamant about there being cuts in Ultimate, but then the exact opposite happened and every character returned. Didn't you find that surprising?
This is an irrelevant conclusion.

Premise A: X is not likely because of statement A.
You: X is unexpected.
You: Y was unexpected and happened.
You (Conclusion): Therefore, X is possible.

You didn't refute the original premise.

Your conclusion is fair enough, that a XC2 character is possible, but you failed to address the argument about why the character might not be likely.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

Add one, promote one, and rosterblock one. (Add a newcomer, promote an AT, pokeball, boss, item, hazard, game element, trophy), and deny a roster addition to an unconfirmed newcomer.

Add one: Chorus Kids (or any RH rep for that matter)
Promote one: Lyn
Rosterblock one: Shadow

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hey moderators, is there something going on with the image uploading matter? I keep trying to change images to adjust to the new Smashboards update for my Smash analyses and the images stop working even after the update. Is the image situation going to be fixed soon?

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Hey moderators, is there something going on with the image uploading matter? I keep trying to change images to adjust to the new Smashboards update for my Smash analyses and the images stop working even after the update. Is the image situation going to be fixed soon?
Just had the same issue on the Smash Blog thread and tagged Venus.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Oh a fad!

Add: Impa
Promote: Lyn
Roster Block: Shadow the Hedgehog

I hate Shadow. I mean, I'm also not a huge Sonic fan, but Shadow takes the cake for me, haha. I was also never a fan of 3rd party characters in Smash to begin with.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is an irrelevant conclusion.

Premise A: X is not likely because of statement A.
You: X is unexpected.
You: Y was unexpected and happened.
You (Conclusion): Therefore, X is possible.

You didn't refute the original premise.

Your conclusion is fair enough, that a XC2 character is possible, but you failed to address the argument about why the character might not be likely.
M'kay, then how about this.

Premise: A XC2 rep is not likely because development time began too early, and Sakurai has never gone out of his way to add a character once development began, save for Roy (a clone) and Greninja (a reserved spot who was planned from the beginning). Based on previous statements, Sakurai has also made it clear that he doesn't like adding characters midway in development.
Me: Sakurai breaks patterns all the time. The possibility is out there, and this game has surprised me more than once.

Seriously, you don't really need to break down what I said and overanalyze it piece by piece. I wasn't trying to create a well thought-out counterarguement to what was said. Just like you mentioned in your post, the only point I wanted to get across is that the odds of us getting a XC2 character (or any character who debuted in 2017) are low, but still very much possible.

Smash patterns are never definite. Just because it never happened before doesn't mean it's destined to never happen at all.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Oh a fad!

Add: Impa
Promote: Lyn
Roster Block: Shadow the Hedgehog

I hate Shadow. I mean, I'm also not a huge Sonic fan, but Shadow takes the cake for me, haha. I was also never a fan of 3rd party characters in Smash to begin with.
I hate the idea of a third party franchise getting a second rep. Personal opinion, but they're supposed to be and stay as guests.
This is pretty much how I feel too. Like don't get me wrong 3rd parties have become an important part of smash and I love the ones that share Nintendo history or are just crazy (Cloud & Bayonetta especially).

But they need to stay guests, and I don't want the roster flooded with them. Like 1 or 2 more in the base roster would be fine, although I'm worried about DLC because they would probably sell the best. In the end I just really don't wanna see a second Sonic or Final Fantasy character or whatever. Seriously nothing against their fans, it just doesn't feel right for me.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I changed my bet on Ashley, if she gets in as an Assist Trophy again I will marathon the entire Love Love School Idol Project series, including Sunshine and the movies. I felt that this bet would be more appropriate then eating clothing so I’m going with it.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Add: Simon Belmont -(the N Team trio will finally become a reality, hopefully)-
Promote: Hmm, I guess Lara Croft, or a Pokemon character. (Sadly no Eevee)
Block: Sora/Steve If they're in, I'm gonna pretend that its not a big deal.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well let'd have multiple games going at once.

What are your following answers to these roster scenarios

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Basic Outcome/Simply Meh:

Worst Outcome:
Best Outcome: Simon Belmont, K. Rool, Geno, Crash, Dixie Kong (non-echo) and Isaac all made it in.

Satisfying Outcome: Simon Belmont rumor is accuarate and he makes it in alongside some other 1 or 2 characters i want (like the ones above)

Basic Outcome/Simply Meh: Simon Belmont is DLC, Dixie makes it in as an echo.

Worst Outcome: None of the characters i want make it in except for Dixie..............but as an echo (and i would rather have Dixie not playable or at the very least be a semi-clone instead of a straight up echo)

Adding: Simon Belmont.

Promoting: GOD (A.K.A Waluigi)

Blocking:..............honestly i have become more symphatetic to supporters of any character regardless if i like them or not (inlcuding the likes of Funky, Cranky, Indies and Asuka) so i will say no one (and im not even gonna bother saying something like Goku, because that would be giving Non-VG characters too much credit)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My patience with trying to fix images on Smashboards has reached its limit. It is pissing me off right now that not even uploading on imgur works well. :/

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Add One: Bandana Dee
Promote One: Fiora
Rosterblock One: Shovel Knight

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Best Outcome: The base roster has 10-12 newcomers (Including :ultinkling:, :ultridley:, and :ultdaisy:), contains the characters in my signature, and has story mode

Satisfying Outcome: Same as the best outcome but with less characters.

Basic Outcome/Simply Meh: 8 newcomers that are highly requested and obvious choices.

Worst Outcome: The newcomers that were revealed at E3 are the ONLY newcomers in the base roster, and the rest are DLC.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
How about...

Add: Dixie Kong
Promote: King K. Rool (from Mii costume)
Block: no-one, because if I'm getting my top 2 choices on top of this already gigantic roster it would just be petty to block another character I'm sure others legitimately love.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Here's an activity for you all.

State your reaction for each of these events.

Your reaction if Captain Toad is revealed.
Your reaction if Papaer Mario is revealed.
Your reaction if K.Rool is revealed.
Your reaction if Dixie Kong is revealed.
Your reaction if Skull Kid is revealed.
Your reaction if a champion is revealed.
Your reaction if Dark Samus is revealed.
Your reaction if Bandana Waddle Dee is revealed.
Your reaction if Decidueye is revealed.
Your reaction if Incineroar is revealed.
Your reaction if Mimikyu is revealed.
Your reaction if Celica is revealed.
Your reaction if Ashley is revealed.
Your reaction if Elma is Revealed.
Your reaction if Rex and Pyra is revealed.
Your reaction if Wonder Red is revealed.
Your reaction if Dillon is revealed.
Your reaction if Spring Man is revealed.
Your reaction if Simon is revealed.
Your reaction if Crash is revealed.
Captain Toad - Cool! I’m so glad to see the Toad fans’ waiting has finally paid off.
Paper Mario - Amazing! I absolutely adored the pre-SS games, so if he’s based on those games then my hype would go through the roof. I’d still be happy if he was more SS-inspired, though.
King K. Rool - HELL YES!! The other big boi has finally made it to Smash!!
Dixie Kong - Great! I was always puzzled as to why she wasn’t playable in SSB4.
Skull Kid - Oh, neat.
Champion(s) - That’s interesting, I guess.
Dark Samus - (if Echo) A little disappointing, but interesting to see her actually make it in.
(If semi-clone/unique) Woah! I’m hyped as hell to see Metroid keep getting its due!
Bandana Dee - I’d have a big grin on my face knowing that the Kirby quartet is finally all-playable in Smash.
Decidueye - Oh, that’s cool, if a little surprising.
Incineroar - YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My Alola starter actually made it in?! I’m shocked.
Mimikyu - Neat! Wonder how my other Pokefan friends are taking this since they really wanted this little guy.
Celica - Cool! Glad to see it’s not someone from Awakening/Fates.
Ashley - That’s pretty interesting.
Elma - YES TO THE MAX! I always suspected she would make it in but I’m glad to know I was right. Loved the crap out of XCX.
Rex/Pyra - ...Um, wow, I really was not expecting them to be in the base roster. Other than that, meh.
Wonder Red - Oh, that’s cool.
Dillon - Eh.
Spring Man - Same as Rex/Pyra, but I’d be at least a little more interested in him due to his better design.
Simon - YESSSSSSS BRING ON THE CASTLEVANIA TUNES BABY
Crash - Oh, cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A post I was trying to make last night, but Crashboards....

More leaks with Gengar?
An...interesting choice to have multiple times.

Would be funny, though:

Gengar: "SURPRISE, *******! I'M IN SMASH!"
Smash fanbase (represented by Team Rocket): "OMGWTFBBQ"

Last edited by a moderator:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
How about...

Add: Dixie Kong
Promote: King K. Rool (from Mii costume)
Block: no-one, because if I'm getting my top 2 choices on top of this already gigantic roster it would just be petty to block another character I'm sure others legitimately love.
"BLOCK: No one, because if I'm getting my top 2 choices on top of this already gigantic rosyer, it would just be petty to block another character I'm sure other's legitimately love."

SHREK JOINS THE BATTLE!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
"BLOCK: No one, because if I'm getting my top 2 choices on top of this already gigantic rosyer, it would just be petty to block another character I'm sure other's legitimately love."

SHREK JOINS THE BATTLE!
I get this was an attempt at extending what I said to ridiculous proportions but I would be absolutely fine with this.

On my friends Wii U I regularly play Ganondorf (a character I otherwise never use) just because I find the modded Shrek skin hilarious.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I get this was an attempt at extending what I said to ridiculous proportions but I would be absolutely fine with this.

On my friends Wii U I regularly play Ganondorf (a character I otherwise never use) just because I find the modded Shrek skin hilarious.
Imagine the taunts...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
so July 1st is here. Sonic and Knuckles is on the blog. Was there not lots of leaks pointing to a reveal today for either Banjo-Kazooie or King K Rool. So we can now dismiss how many leaks? On to the next which says July 9th seems to be the next one in line. LOL

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well let'd have multiple games going at once.

What are your following answers to these roster scenarios

Best Outcome:

Satisfying Outcome:

Basic Outcome/Simply Meh:

Worst Outcome:
I mean really the "Best Outcome" would include about 20 newcomers that covers most of the popular characters on Smashboards.....but I'm guessing we're trying to be at least somewhat realistic?

Best Outcome: Isaac, K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Chorus Men (to get really crazy add Chibi Robo, Andy and Dillon)

Satisfying Outcome: Isaac, K. Rool or Banjo & Kazooie get in. (personally speaking) Though from a more personal point of view, Isaac or Banjo & Kazooie would be the most satisfying.

Worst Outcome: The majority of the remaining newcomers are echo fighters. (with like 1 or 2 unique newcomers and none of them are Isaac, K. Rool or Banjo & Kazooie)

Honestly I'd take a stage based on the Emoji movie if it meant getting Isaac as a playable character.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Add: King K. Rool
Promote: Samurai Goroh
Block: Shadow

That graph does show a surprising lack of SNES characters. Weird considering that's where people view it as the golden age of gaming for Nintendo.

On a side note, Villager is not N64.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Did you guys see this? Pretty cool seeing how much a console is representative

Credit:https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8vhpvp/console_representation_in_ssbu_so_far/
This is cool. Really surprised by the lack of DS character representation as the console was super successful... but were there even many breakouts during that period? All we got were stuff like Nintendogs or Brain Age which are a bit unconventional. I guess there's professor Layton for 3rd party options?

Stuff like Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun could still work their way up for GBA representation, and Wii U has Elma at least.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A little late but.... Today's Item
Knuckles the Echidna Assist Trophy
Knuckles attacks nearby fighters with his fist. He can also dig into the ground and then attack with an uppercut, so be careful!
This is pretty much how I feel too. Like don't get me wrong 3rd parties have become an important part of smash and I love the ones that share Nintendo history or are just crazy (Cloud & Bayonetta especially).

But they need to stay guests, and I don't want the roster flooded with them. Like 1 or 2 more in the base roster would be fine, although I'm worried about DLC because they would probably sell the best. In the end I just really don't wanna see a second Sonic or Final Fantasy character or whatever. Seriously nothing against their fans, it just doesn't feel right for me.
Meanwhile the Japanese website even goes as far as not listing guest fighters' origin games in the Memories section so far (whether Mega Man gets acknowledged like Bomberman remains to be seen).

The only second rep for a guest series I'd be fine with would be Tails. If not, as an AT would be acceptable too.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Here's an activity for you all.

State your reaction for each of these events.

Your reaction if Captain Toad is revealed.
Your reaction if Papaer Mario is revealed.
Your reaction if K.Rool is revealed.
Your reaction if Dixie Kong is revealed.
Your reaction if Skull Kid is revealed.
Your reaction if a champion is revealed.
Your reaction if Dark Samus is revealed.
Your reaction if Bandana Waddle Dee is revealed.
Your reaction if Decidueye is revealed.
Your reaction if Incineroar is revealed.
Your reaction if Mimikyu is revealed.
Your reaction if Celica is revealed.
Your reaction if Ashley is revealed.
Your reaction if Elma is Revealed.
Your reaction if Rex and Pyra is revealed.
Your reaction if Wonder Red is revealed.
Your reaction if Dillon is revealed.
Your reaction if Spring Man is revealed.
Your reaction if Simon is revealed.
Your reaction if Crash is revealed.
Old game but bored. I'll only post reactions more or less than a meh

Mario Characters - Cool, glad for their fans.
K. Rool / Dixie - Really glad for their fans and for the series because it's about time. Would be dissapointed in King K. without Dixie though, rather both or just her.
Skull Kid - That's awesome! I'm honestly not super into the character like others but it would be so cool to break the "recurring" character trope of the Zelda series and he could be a lot of fun.
Champion - Depends but if Urbosa than YASS! MY QUEEN! Anyone else is cool for simialr reasons as Skull Kid but not as cool.
Dark Samus - Better be an echo (I understand others feel differently).
Bandanna Dee - Dissapointed not Marx or Gooey but expected. Glad for fans and the series.
Any Gen 7 Pokemon - TOLD ALL Y'ALL. And you'll all say "Well of course, a gen 7 Pokemon was the most obvious newcomer". :rolleyes:
But specifically Decideueye or Mimikyu - YES YES YES playable ghost Pokemon! One of my favorite starters and my all time favorite Pokemon. I'd rather Mimikyu but I'd be happy either way.
Elma/Rex/Pyra - They better be as unique and intresting as Shulk or I won't be interested.
Spring Man - Yay ARMS! That also means ARMS music! And maybe Twintelle as dlc then!
Crash - Ugly. I will never look at him. I'll also be genuinely shocked.

Everyone else would have varying degrees of meh or like oh that's cool. It's also hard to say because pre Smash 4 if you asked my reaction to Rosalina I'd be like really? Ok. But that gameplay trailer got me so excited for her playstyle. That could easily happen for Celica, Ashley, the Xenoblade reps or anyone really.
Add: King K. Rool
Promote: Samurai Goroh
Block: Shadow

That graph does show a surprising lack of SNES characters. Weird considering that's where people view it as the golden age of gaming for Nintendo.

On a side note, Villager is not N64.
Someone already mentioned this and they are. Japan only though. Animal Forest, Animal Forest + was the game cube version in Japan. I might be wrong on the titles so check.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom