• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
"Fortune Smash" or "いただきスマッシュ (Itadaki Smash)" when, Sakurai?

I'm only half kidding. :laugh:

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Sticker Star sell well enough?
Paper Mario is in a weird spot because of all the Miyamoto stuff.
Coming from a Paper Mario fan, Sticker Star is widely despised and considered the worst of the series. Color Splash has some defenders.

It did sell well but I don't think that reflects its popularity necessarily.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I wouldn't lose any sleep if Smash Tour and random stat Equipment went away forever, those can stay in Smash4 like how Stickers stayed in Brawl for all I care.

At LEAST give us a shop to buy Mii Outfits with coins this time, making them as rare and random as hat drops in Team Fortress 2 was ridiculous.
I kinda wish stickers came back just as a collector thing. They can shove in much more than trophies and it's an opportunity for super extra obscure characters to be featured in a way.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Geno / Sora / Black Mage would be the most interesting 3rd party characters for me and ironically Square-Enix was apart of it. I see Square-Enix getting a 2nd Rep imo just due to how popular their characters are. (Black Mage / White Mage both appeared as characters in Mario Sports mix to my pleasant surprise}
I think if Square-Enix gets a second rep it'll be Sora or a Dragon Quest character, as much as FF has tons of huge popular characters I think DQ's legacy and KH's huge fanbase are both also interesting to look at.

Of course Sora might also have to rely on Disney and in that case, he's not really likely.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isabelle as an echo fighter of Villager would be a pretty easy +1 but I think they'd want to go weird with her, even if it's Luigi to Mario weird. She's a lot like Wii Fit, Villager, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, etc in that the biggest argument used against her is "how would she even fight" and I think Sakurai has the most fun developing those kinds of characters. Despite the weirdness of these characters, he still has a strong talent for staying within a character's character so, when we finally see what they can do, it still makes sense even if we never considered the possibilities. With Isabelle, there's definitely an established personality and a buttload to draw from the source material so I think we shouldn't underestimate what Sakurai could possibly do with her.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Coming from a Paper Mario fan, Sticker Star is widely despised and considered the worst of the series. Color Splash has some defenders.

Paper Mario Sticker Star: Because having your only method of attack based on a finite resource is always a good idea!

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I was against Sora being included into Smash until I realized it would give us Kingdom Hearts music.

Any Kingdom Hearts Music is must have music.....

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Paper Mario Sticker Star: Because having your only method of attack based on a finite resource is always a good idea!
Hey man we did it alright in FE and Resident Evil... Sticker Star's problems I think come more from fighting largely being pointless and it's world being super barren. Among other things.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Colour Splash was actually a really fun game. Great humour and setting. I mean, it's obviously no tTYD or Paper Mario 64, but it was better than Sticker Star and probably even Super Paper Mario.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much everything in Sticker Star was a problem, I don't want to go on an off-topic rant about how much Sticker Star blows though lol.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Not at all, I get what you're saying, while the dedicated Smasher really wants K. Rool, the average Smash casual probably cast a vote for uh............Goku? Minecraft Steve? Basically NOT K. Rool.
Counterpoint to this however is Bayonetta, who's game is rated M. She's an extremely niche character who (allegedly) was the highest placing contestant in the EU. Call me K. Razy but I'd imagine that if the audience for Bayo came out to show their support, the audience for K. Rool would match numbers in droves.
except thats not how the ballot worked. the ballot had you entering names of chaarcters from games. dk, metriod, mario, and other game series divided themselves. bayonetta voters didn't. they were voting almost exclusively for her to get in. they didnt split themselves thats the logical explanation. instead of going conspiracy stop and think. i havent seen anyone mention that.
source: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/jsKF0d4U12rTFWu-Bf_nAKhUJgVakVf7

Shroob

Sup?
Colour Splash was actually a really fun game. Great humour and setting. I mean, it's obviously no tTYD or Paper Mario 64, but it was better than Sticker Star and probably even Super Paper Mario.
Wee-woo wee-woo wee woo

Super Paper Mario defense force on the scene.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Ehhhh, I disagree. That combat system is still terrible, the writing felt like a lot of puns and cheap humor and I still dislike the "thing" mechanic.

And I just can't agree with it being better than Super Paper Mario, I love that game.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Super Paper Mario - good game. Bad Paper Mario game, but good game.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Wee-woo wee-woo wee woo

Super Paper Mario defense force on the scene.
Don't get me wrong, I love SPM.

I'd rank them

1. tTYD
2. 64
=3. SPM and Colour Splash
4. Sticker Star

I really want Paper Mario in Smash :(

I'd honestly accept an AT.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Speculating to around 14 Newcomers akin to Melee. 8 Original Fighters (King K. Rool, Ridley, Mimikyu, Byleth, Rex, Inkling, Excitebike, Simon, maybe Rhythm Heaven Troupe if not Byleth) and 6 Echo Fighters (Daisy and potentially Dry Bowser, Impa, Ninten, Octoling, Ms. Pac-Man, or Ribbon Girl if Spring Man somehow makes it in).

There's also the potential of Zeraora being the Pokemon newcomer or Mach Rider being the retro. I wanna say Celica could be the Fire Emblem newcomer, but I don't think Sakurai is going to bother adding another Fire Emblem character unless it's from a brand new installment.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I don't dragon quest will get a character because the importance/popularity threshold for 3rd party to be included, and the fact that you rarely get specific request doesn't help matters. Final fantasy at least have Cloud that stand out.
But Slime would make for a great Assist Trophy.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
A different enough beast that it isn't fair to compare them. Also, the best story of the series.

Back on topic, as it stands, I'm a bit concerned about Paper Mario's chances, although it'd be fun to have 3 Marios to counter the 3 Links.
Then they can do a 3 v 3 Basketball match.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think if Square-Enix gets a second rep it'll be Sora or a Dragon Quest character, as much as FF has tons of huge popular characters I think DQ's legacy and KH's huge fanbase are both also interesting to look at.

Of course Sora might also have to rely on Disney and in that case, he's not really likely.
To extend on this, Dissidia Final Fantasy became a Final Fantasy game because Disney said no to their characters (even Sora) being in a fighting game (which is, personally, ludicrous, considering the nature of Kingdom Hearts).

Unless Sakurai works his Sakurai magic 110%, I don't have high hopes for Sora.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Something I just thought about: was Diddy Kong's Final Smash changed? He had one of those kinda transformables but also kinda not, which makes me think it got a big rehaul like Fox's Arwing. For all we know, Dixie Kong got Chrom'd. :p

monadoboy

Smash Lord

From what little digging I've done, it seems like a mixed bag. Generally well received but despised by the PM fans?
Also Color splash sold like .05 million more than Xeno X apparently. For a game with Mario on the cover... Yikes.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I know this would never happen, but imagine Sakurai revealing a new challenger and it’s Alolan Pokémon Trainer with Rowlet, Brionne, and Incineroar, and being cheeky about it. “It’s the Alolan form of the Pokémon Trainer.”

UserKev

Smash Champion
Also, bring back the slot machine trophy dispenser from Melee. I don't know why but I was obsessed with that thing. I went for hours just trying to unlock the trophies so I could read the summaries. I didn't even bother with the trophies in 4...
** Yes that thing was addictive and fascinating.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So question for ya'll

Will the new movement options in Smash 5 really mix up gameplay for the heavy characters?

I think so but its hard to tell due to people not really having a lot of time with the game yet

:ultganondorf: seems more fluid

:ultridley: I think can be a LOT faster but needs lab time

:ultbowser: Is always getting faster it seems

:ultkingdedede: No data

:ultpokemontrainer::4charizard: Samey needs more lab time and data

:ultdk:A train

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Super Paper Mario was great. It broke away from the fighting mechanics we all held to be tradtional and I believe that's where most of the hatred comes from.

Shroob

Sup?
Super Paper Mario is the Majora's Mask(Before Majora became mainstream) of Paper Mario games.

A game with a surprisingly dark plot that's looked as the black sheep of the series by many.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Sakurai maining Ganondorf is a myth, based just off of that one video of him playing a single match on some Japanese game show. When asked about who he mains, he once stated Captain Falcon in the early 2000s and then every time afterward has been insistent he has no favorite.
There's also a myth I heard once about Sakurai playing with two GameCube remotes at the same time...fluidly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know this would never happen, but imagine Sakurai revealing a new challenger and it’s Alolan Pokémon Trainer with Rowlet, Brionne, and Incineroar, and being cheeky about it. “It’s the Alolan form of the Pokémon Trainer.”
I would only accept Guzma as another Pokemon Trainer. Or Brock because he rocks

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
From what little digging I've done, it seems like a mixed bag. Generally well received but despised by the PM fans?
Also Color splash sold like .05 million more than Xeno X apparently. For a game with Mario on the cover... Yikes.
Sticker Star is kinda similar to Other M in the sense of that it got decent reviews but was hated by longtime fans, I think its reception among newcomers to the series was a lot less harsh.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Super Paper Mario was great. It broke away from the fighting mechanics we all held to be tradtional and I believe that's where most of the hatred comes from.
SPM is my favorite Mario side-scroll, maybe 'cause I never played the other PM prior to playing it, but I found it to be the most charming and unique of all Mario side-scrollers.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Also, bring back the slot machine trophy dispenser from Melee. I don't know why but I was obsessed with that thing. I went for hours just trying to unlock the trophies so I could read the summaries. I didn't even bother with the trophies in 4...
Coming off my fairly recent dig into Danganronpa a few months ago, I'm all for the lottery coming back, and maybe this one wouldn't hit me with the same presents for people over and over again :p (I had gotten them all so the chances of getting new stuff was null and I needed certain gifts for 100% character interaction stuff).

I also wouldn't mind Brawls Coin launcher being back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom