• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Doesn't mean he doesn't habe merit being in, or that we shouldn't try either. Ridley fans had every reason in the world to quit. You dismiss us like we are nothing, but we are something, just as you are.
Sir, if I may, you are taking this too seriously.

You're making supporting a video game character seem like some great moral quest.

I say that as someone who wants K.Rool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's weird, since Other M leads into Fusion, which is also one of the most divisive Metroid games out there.

I guess Clone-Ridley kills whatever he's in.
The moral of the day is, don't let Sakamoto have sole involvement with any non-remake Metroid.

That isn't true, retro just said they wanted to do something new.

I'd imagine putting him into spinoffs is just difficult because of his size.
I thought it was Chunky that had that problem.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
If I'm being honest, Skyward Sword is one of the few 3D Zeldas I've beaten.

I've played, but haven't beaten, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. I've beaten Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, and I haven't got Breath of the Wild (yet).

My track record for beating 2D Zelda games (A Link to the Past, Four Sword, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks) is much better.

If I got Ocarina of Time 3D, I might finally beat it, but stuff always comes out when I play OOT that takes higher priority.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The moral of the day is, don't let Sakamoto have sole involvement with any non-remake Metroid.
He becomes a director for a day and adds Adam into smash, his main gimmick being he doesn't allow the other fighters to do certain moves.

Truly the darkest timeline.

Also yeah I don't see much dislike for Fusion tbh.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok, it's time to end the K. Rool talk. I didn't feel like it was necessary to demand it before but now, I feel, is a good time to end the conversation where it's at.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Random thought: if we get smash run back I'd like it if there were less kid icarus enemies. I feel like there was way too many of them for a series with so few games. I know it's a Sakurai game so I understand kinda but still. Plus I kind of don't like their designs that much.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fair enough. The portrayal of Samus' mentor/father figure ought to have been kept consistent in both games, tho.
That's more on Other M and less on Fusion.

For Some new topics....

How do we feel about Isaac's performance on the ballot?

And...

How likely do we think Dillon is?

And...

Do you think Sakurai wants to keep third party characters Japanese? As in he will only allow series that are owned by Japanese companies?

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Sir, if I may, you are taking this too seriously.

You're making supporting a video game character seem like some great moral quest.

I say that as someone who wants K.Rool.
I wouldn't call it a moral quest, but it IS a matter of passion. I don't mean to make waves at all. I feel I've been civil enough, and far be it from me to blame anyone who may not be a fan of this character if they don't "get" the fuss over it, but I will not relent in any of my stances. I feel there is value in having him and will not concede to being tabled part of an idea that's "Over-hyped" when such is the case for every newcomer ever. You'll always have those that take it too far, and while I do not intend to be one of them, my support comes from what I feel is a justified place. K. Rool being in is not a make or break thing, but it IS something i feel strongly about. This will continue just as it has for me since Melee.

Ok, it's time to end the K. Rool talk. I didn't feel like it was necessary to demand it before but now, I feel, is a good time to end the conversation where it's at.
Heard. Didnt see this. Sorry.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

And...

And...

Do you think Sakurai wants to keep third party characters Japanese? As in he will only allow series that are owned by Japanese companies?
I don't recall hearing much about Isaac during the ballot period. So I don't know how hard his fanbase pushed compared to others.

Dillon is someone I want to be likely, but I doubt that he really is.

Nah, I don't think he's really considering that. I think if there was a third party that wasn't Japanese that was a large fan demand or icon of gaming he'd reach out for them at least.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

For Some new topics....

My hope is "Well. At least in Europe (where he is apparently popular)". He could have done well.
Since I haven't played any of his games (and haven't heard of any kind of explosive popularity), I wouldn't put money on him. Then again, I wouldn't put money on anyone.
I can see it.

Speaking of non-Japanese third parties, I don't think Lara Croft has any chance of getting in if she was even considered. And it's not because of sex appeal.
The two most well known things about her (okay, two second most well known things), are her twin pistols. Since her games are, like, 50% shooting, that would make her a no-go, much more than Snake.

Edit: I'm not saying I want Lara Croft, it was just something I realized when I was listed out characters for my Smash Stock art project.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Did somebody point that Nintendo and Xbox One now have crossplay on minecraft?
What may be the implications of it on the smash bros series?
And on the future of future titles and the likes of Banjo?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Isn’t Diddy Kong the only Smash character created by someone other than the Japanese?

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Alright my dudes, here's an initial version of a newcomer pool I did for fun. I'm looking to add onto it, but for now these are characters that I believe have a shot at getting into Smash Ultimate. Whether or not they have a good chance is irrelevant, because I personally think anybody on this list has some sort of chance.

While I do think Spring Man or a Rex and Pyra team might be just too late for roster selection (Spring Man moreso) I still think they've got a shot. The newcomer icon is for the usual retro/Sakurai pick. I'm not going to take a wild guess on the wildcard pick like :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:, because I will without a doubt be way off, most likely.

What do you think? Who else should I add?
View attachment 149484
You might be sleeping on Skull Kid. While the ballot was great and I do believe we will see almost all of our newcomers from it it isn’t perfect and Sakurai knows it. Before people gave up on Ridley he almost always beat K Rule in terms of popularity. And yet here we are with Ridley. Most polls you look at don’t have any Zelda newcomers because people have given up hope but the reality is that before Smash 4 at least 3 Zelda characters used to place higher than Kirby characters which based off of ballots taken in 2016 Bandana Dee was in the second quartile. Sakurai knows the ballot wasn’t perfect. What I think is really going to help him is his undying fan support like Ridley had. It’s been almost two decades since his games release. And yet the love for his game is still going strong with Nintendo recognizing it. I don’t know I just don’t think you can have an ultimate roster with the lack of new Zelda content for 20 years. Also impa doesn’t cut it. That’s just people trying to justify someone from Zelda who can get in.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

For Some new topics....

And...

And...

1. I'd imagine he did alright. He definitely has a good following among some of the lesser known characters, though I don't know how much it'll mean in the long run.

2. Dillon probably got screwed by this game's development timeframe. If the planning phases started in, say, late 2016, closer to the latest game, then I'd say he has a better chance. But for now, I'll assume he'll remain an AT.

3. I don't really think so. There's definitely iconic characters that he can pull from the west if he wants to, he's never specifically said he couldn't. It just hasn't happened yet.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I don't recall hearing much about Isaac during the ballot period. So I don't know how hard his fanbase pushed compared to others.

Dillon is someone I want to be likely, but I doubt that he really is.

Nah, I don't think he's really considering that. I think if there was a third party that wasn't Japanese that was a large fan demand or icon of gaming he'd reach out for them at least.
The Isaac group was more or less as strong as we were during the beginning of Smash 4 speculation. Most people have resigned themselves to the fact that he’s never getting in though so they might have thrown their votes another way. I think project M, smash flash 2, and smashified helped keeps people’s spirits alive.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I feel that Isaac probably didn't do well on the ballot at all.
Golden Sun's Fanbase isn't that big.
Last game was 4 years old.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
The Isaac group was more or less as strong as we were during the beginning of Smash 4 speculation. Most people have resigned themselves to the fact that he’s never getting in though so they might have thrown their votes another way. I think project M, smash flash 2, and smashified helped keeps people’s spirits alive.
Always great to have hope. It's unfortunate for a lot of most wanted characters (mine is Lip and I don't see her making it in personally), but sometimes hope is all ya got to go off on. In Isaac's case, the fan games definitely gives me a nice idea of how fun he could be in Smash. I've imagine this like whole scenario of Isaac fighting Ness with PSI vs Psynergy.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
You might be sleeping on Skull Kid. While the ballot was great and I do believe we will see almost all of our newcomers from it it isn’t perfect and Sakurai knows it. Before people gave up on Ridley he almost always beat K Rule in terms of popularity. And yet here we are with Ridley. Most polls you look at don’t have any Zelda newcomers because people have given up hope but the reality is that before Smash 4 at least 3 Zelda characters used to place higher than Kirby characters which based off of ballots taken in 2016 Bandana Dee was in the second quartile. Sakurai knows the ballot wasn’t perfect. What I think is really going to help him is his undying fan support like Ridley had. It’s been almost two decades since his games release. And yet the love for his game is still going strong with Nintendo recognizing it. I don’t know I just don’t think you can have an ultimate roster with the lack of new Zelda content for 20 years. Also impa doesn’t cut it. That’s just people trying to justify someone from Zelda who can get in.
For those of you who are interested check out operation moon fall. It’s positive fan potitions like that that get recognized by Nintendo. Cough cough like the one that brought shulk into America and then into smash cough cough

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
According to that site linked above a bit, Isaac was tentatively around the top 20?? Of course, since we can get matching tattoos that say "The ballot data was never released", it's not a concrete bit of evidence. I don't think he's that popular but he's certainly not super obscure.

KMDP

Smash Legend
According to that site linked above a bit, Isaac was tentatively around the top 20?? Of course, since we can get matching tattoos that say "The ballot data was never released", it's not a concrete bit of evidence. I don't think he's that popular but he's certainly not super obscure.
Do you know what would really hurt?
If Nintendo reveals the Smash Ballot results after the end of Ultimate's DLC (should it get DLC) and a popular character (like Isaac) did "well" on the Ballot, but just bad enough to not make it into the roster.

Ooh, it'd sting hard.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Not to mention those of us who liked the first 2 Golden Sun's didn't take too kindly to Dark Dawn for the most part.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Had his latest game come out earlier, I would've been more confident in him but when development of Ultimate began he had no more going for him then he did at the beginning of Sm4sh.

However if he doesn't end up being an AT in this game than I'd go as far as to say he's a likely candidate for DLC since his most recent game has been met with praise.

KMDP

Smash Legend
For those of you who are interested check out operation moon fall. It’s positive fan potitions like that that get recognized by Nintendo. Cough cough like the one that brought shill into America and then into smash cough cough
Successful fan petitions I can think of are the ones that got Xenoblade and Digimon Cyber Sleuth into the west.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know what's been bugging me for a LONG time?

Smash 4 HEAVILY favored Mother 1 over every other Mother for some reason.

Magicant had some Earthbound elements in it, but it was clearly the Mother 1 version.

Both the Devil Car and Starman were enemies in Smash Run, with the Starman being the version from Mother 1(PK Beam didn't exist in Earthbound).

Just strange to me.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Magicant had some Earthbound elements in it, but it was clearly the Mother 1 version.

Both the Devil Car and Starman were enemies in Smash Run, with the Starman being the version from Mother 1(PK Beam didn't exist in Earthbound).

Just strange to me.
And you know what happened shortly thereafter?

Earthbound Beginnings was released on Virtual Console.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

Just strange to me.
How would you feel if Ninten became an Echo Fighter of Ness?

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Not to mention those of us who liked the first 2 Golden Sun's didn't take too kindly to Dark Dawn for the most part.
It's the only in the series I've played but have watched my brother play the first two. Didn't really have a problem with Dark Dawn.
Isaac is probably one of my most wanted (not impossible) characters for smash. Like at least return the Assist Trophy.

I thought Dark Dawn was released in 2010?
at the time of Ballot release. Ballot was 2015, Dark dawn was released late 2010

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
So I was pretty happy with the direct. I spent a lot of time doing research and my roster is kicking butt right now. I can’t tell you how many hours I spent trying to tell people stuff like the Pokémon were coming back and takamaru wasn’t going to make it. It’s weird now that e3 is over all those guys I used to argue with seem to be gone and this site is now filled with a bunch of fresh faces.

KMDP

Smash Legend
How would you feel if Ninten became an Echo Fighter of Ness?
Would be fine with it tbh, though I somewhat hope it doesn't happen.
A one-on-one fight between Ninten and Ness would get very confusing, very quick. Even moreso than Pit/Dark Pit and the hypothetical Samus/Dark Samus.

It would get even worse in higher player, frantic or large stage matches.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
A one-on-one fight between Ninten and Ness would get very confusing, very quick. Even moreso than Pit/Dark Pit and the hypothetical Samus/Dark Samus.

It would get even worse in higher player, frantic or large stage matches.
Imagine having to be the commentator of that match, and if both players used a similar color alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom