• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Guys, hear me out. We've had the discussion of who could represent Square Enix again. Maybe another Final Fantasy, maybe Geno through technicality, but I feel like we've been sleeping on something they own that's been on Nintendo consoles several times.
Untitled.png

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Guys, hear me out. We've had the discussion of who could represent Square Enix again. Maybe another Final Fantasy, maybe Geno through technicality, but I feel like we've been sleeping on something they own that's been on Nintendo consoles several times.
I have a Mii Swordfighter for that.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Honestly I thought the curveball was gonna be Boshi. I am that desperate for confirmation...

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Imagine having to be the commentator of that match, and if both players used a similar color alt.
Imagine being a commentator and having to differentiate between PoR Ike and RD Ike when they're both movin' a mile a minute.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Anyone hoping Waluigi to make it in as DLC despite him already being an Assist Trophy are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Plus Sakurai immediately deleted all the death threat tweets sent to him regarding Waluigi. I think that alone speaks volumes of his opinion on the matter.
People thinking it was all just a big troll and Waluigi is in the base game are delusional, however there are no grounds to call him hopeless for DLC. We have no idea how DLC will be handled this time, and Sakurai can very well decide NPCs with ingame roles are eligible for it; he didn't decide a DLC roster when he decided the initial roster, so he's not going to be avoiding giving potential DLC characters a role ingame. Yeah in Smash 4 none of the DLC was of characters with ingame roles, but simply its DLC plans didn't allow for it, as it was Mewtwo, cut Brawl veteran, cut Melee veteran, two big third parties, a promotional newcomer from an upcoming Nintendo game, and the "ballot winner".

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I can definitely see an Assist Trophy. She could generate food items.
Imagine being a commentator and having to differentiate between PoR Ike and RD Ike when they're both movin' a mile a minute.
Hah! Ike moving a mile a minute, (Just kidding. XD)

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Ya know what's been bugging me for a LONG time?

Smash 4 HEAVILY favored Mother 1 over every other Mother for some reason.

Magicant had some Earthbound elements in it, but it was clearly the Mother 1 version.

Both the Devil Car and Starman were enemies in Smash Run, with the Starman being the version from Mother 1(PK Beam didn't exist in Earthbound).

Just strange to me.
More Mother is great. I'd say keep it coming.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I can definitely see an Assist Trophy. She could generate food items.
That's more along the lines of Isabelle's gimmick. Maybe make her replace Kirby's Brawl final smash and have her cook opponents while also generating food items.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ryce talking in ResetEra saying he believes the Simon Belmont rumors.
If I had to guess on who will be seeing, it's extremely likely that the following 4 happen
-Chorus Men
-Xenoblade rep (probably elma)
-DK rep (K Rool or Dixie)
-Simon Belmont
With some "Pretty likely":
Bandana Dee
Pokemon Rep?
Retro pick?
Geno/Second Square enix rep?
Ubisoft Rep?
Another Fire emblem rep?
Another warioware rep?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ya know what's been bugging me for a LONG time?

Smash 4 HEAVILY favored Mother 1 over every other Mother for some reason.

Magicant had some Earthbound elements in it, but it was clearly the Mother 1 version.

Both the Devil Car and Starman were enemies in Smash Run, with the Starman being the version from Mother 1(PK Beam didn't exist in Earthbound).

Just strange to me.
It's not true Mother fanservice until you get Giygas but its the Giygas that looks like Mewtwo on life support.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I would ascend if she became playable. Literally, I would be so happy, my human form would shed, and my soul would ascend into a higher plane of existence.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That's more along the lines of Isabelle's gimmick. Maybe make her replace Kirby's Brawl final smash and have her cook opponents while also generating food items.
Maybe I'm implying Isabelle was made playable and Cooking Mama inherited her will? (One Piece joke, don't mind me.)

I knew there was a food generator AT, I just couldn't remember who it was (shows how much I care about Isabelle, huh? XD)

I'll admit the Cook Ability is a better idea, had I given it more thought, I probably would have gone for that instead.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ridley and K. Rool aren't the same though for a number of reasons with the biggest being that Ridley has been around since the first game and has been in all the major outings and remakes except Prime: Echoes. K. Rool hasn't had a role in a non-spin off game since DK64 which is almost two decades now. Ridley has been a glaring omission since Melee while K. Rool's last peak of relevance was around the release of Brawl. I'm not saying it won't happen but if K. Rool gets in, it's overwhelmingly going to be because of fan demand because he hasn't been a DK series icon in a long, long time.
Fun fact actually! Prime 2 was rushed like hell and concept art and a slowed down Ridley theme for a Dark Meta Ridley exist but got scrapped, similarly to Meta Kraid in Prime 1. That ************ was at his largest in the Prime 2 artwork, so that would genuinely be considered too big for anything
The reason RiIdley got in was fan demand, not relevance. Despite his relevance Sakurai always denied him due to his size. He has said the reason he got him to work was due to the massive fan requests.
While that's true, that doesn't ignore how Ridley has always been relevant. There's also how Zero Suit Samus got a redesign that's clearly based off of her Samus Returns design due to a more realistic anatomy and muscle. There's also the Meta Ridley costume and Ridley appears in Samus Returns as Proteus Ridley, which is basically just Meta Ridley but a different name
Did somebody point that Nintendo and Xbox One now have crossplay on minecraft?
What may be the implications of it on the smash bros series?
And on the future of future titles and the likes of Banjo?
It means nothing for Banjo but it's yet again proof Nintendo and Microsoft are willing to cooperate with Minecraft. If they wanted to, Microsoft not only could have stopped the Switch version from happening but they could also demand Minecraft get removed from the Wii U and 3DS eshops
It's weird, since Other M leads into Fusion, which is also one of the most divisive Metroid games out there.

I guess Clone-Ridley kills whatever he's in.
Fusion's reception changed
over the years, similar to how Prime 1's reception changed after release. That being said Other M causes physical pain to me cause the dpad hurts my big thumbs in 3D spaces

Shroob

Sup?
As someone who's never played any of the Prime games, can someone ELI5 Dark Samus to me?

It's basically the remnants of Metroid Prime stuffed into Samus' Phazon Suit, right?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
See this is the true hint for Shadow being in as an Echo.

He is the ultimate life form after all.

Don't take that too seriously I do want him in buuut, yeah.
In the Tao Te Ching, it is said that Newcomers are but Echoes of fighters who never got in.

Something worth thinking about when speculating.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I could totally go to town with Danganronpa references right now but I doubt that'd be appreciated (since that's what SHSL got localized to).
References? Why, that sounds like it would be unBEARable if no one played the game! They'd be CLAWING for answers! :)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As someone who's never played any of the Prime games, can someone ELI5 Dark Samus to me?

It's basically the remnants of Metroid Prime stuffed into Samus' Phazon Suit, right?
in the final fight against metroid prime (literally thats what it was called) in the first game it like gets a little SUCC off your suit, and that becomes Dark Samus. It's like SA-X but before SA-X.

Speaking of SA-X, I hope it takes Dark Samus' place as an AT. I always wanted to see more of it.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Isn’t Diddy Kong the only Smash character created by someone other than the Japanese?
He is, but I see this as more of a trivia point, than rather it being something that matters to Sakurai's selection as I've seen some people claim, because simply how many Smash viable characters are there that weren't created in Japan? Almost all Nintendo characters are naturally going to be of Japanese origin when the company is Japanese, and how many big Western third parties are there with an established history with Nintendo or would have any connection to Sakurai, and how many Western third party characters are popular requests for Smash to begin with? The pool for Smash viable Western-created characters is very limited and it's a natural result of it that Diddy has been the only Western-created character in Smash thus far (though Dixie would have also joined him back in Brawl if the original idea for them was able to work out).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You realize the people who play these characters have names, right? They can just use those. :4pacman:

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Found another 4chan leak. I think this one may be the one.
I have important information regarding the new Super Smash Bros.
Newcomers
>The Scout
>Jimmy T.
>Johnny Sasaki
>Barry Manilow
>Mr. Rogers
Echo characters
>Fortnite black guy
>Blonic
>Simon Belmont as a Pikachu echo
>Sheldon Cooper is in
Stages
>Yoshi's Small Apartment
>Dagobah, has swamp hazards
>Chicago (Pre Nuke)
DLC
>Monopoly Guy
>Benson
>Dud Guy

I found another one too, but this one will never happen.
>Inkling
>Ridley
>King K. Rool
>Simon Belmont (Classic and Modern alts)
>Poochy (Yoshi's Island)
>Cross (Xenoblade X) (Male and Female alts)
>Pokemon (Sun/Moon)
>Lip (Panel De Pon) (Lip's Stick is still an item)

Echoes
>Daisy
>Shadow the Hedgehog
>Dr. Luigi
>Impa (Skyward Sword)
>Ninten

Don't expect assist trophies to become DLC characters either. Apparently most of them are returning.

Shroob

Sup?
Untitled.png

Probably nothing, but there's a nice big open space here between Doc and Sonic, I wonder if they'll put someone here eventually.

wildvine47

Smash Ace

Yeah, pretty much. Metroid Prime was on the brink of death with it’s physical form being unstable. It grabbed Samus and ripped the Phazon Suit from her, and apparently also grabbed some DNA in the process. It then used the Phazon Suit as the basis for it’s body, which it evolved and adjusted into over the course of Prime 2 and 3.

Despite using the Phazon Suit as it’s physical form, it fights rather differently (and uses different abilities) from Samus, often utilitizing a more destructive/scattershot approach as compared to Samus’s more direct, precise fighting style.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>Poochy (Yoshi's Island)
1518916136437.png

The fact that nobody ever mentioned Poochy ever as an idea questions its viability. Most likely fake, but I've never heard anyone who makes a "leak" that makes both no sense and some sense.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Ryce talking in ResetEra saying he believes the Simon Belmont rumors.
If I had to guess on who will be seeing, it's extremely likely that the following 4 happen
-Chorus Men
-Xenoblade rep (probably elma)
-DK rep (K Rool or Dixie)
-Simon Belmont
With some "Pretty likely":
Bandana Dee
Pokemon Rep?
Retro pick?
Geno/Second Square enix rep?
Ubisoft Rep?
Another Fire emblem rep?
Another warioware rep?
Who is Ryce?

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, pretty much. Metroid Prime was on the brink of death with it’s physical form being unstable. It grabbed Samus and ripped the Phazon Suit from her, and apparently also grabbed some DNA in the process. It then used the Phazon Suit as the basis for it’s body, which it evolved and adjusted into over the course of Prime 2 and 3.

Despite using the Phazon Suit as it’s physical form, it fights rather differently (and uses different abilities) from Samus, often utilitizing a more destructive/scattershot approach as compared to Samus’s more direct, precise fighting style.
Hm.

So basically it'd work as an Echo like Samus, but could have a different Final Smash ala Dark Pit with its Phazon He---tentacles?

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Found another 4chan leak. I think this one may be the one.
I have important information regarding the new Super Smash Bros.
Newcomers
>The Scout
>Jimmy T.
>Johnny Sasaki
>Barry Manilow
>Mr. Rogers
Echo characters
>Fortnite black guy
>Blonic
>Simon Belmont as a Pikachu echo
>Sheldon Cooper is in
Stages
>Yoshi's Small Apartment
>Dagobah, has swamp hazards
>Chicago (Pre Nuke)
DLC
>Monopoly Guy
>Benson
>Dud Guy

I found another one too, but this one will never happen.
>Inkling
>Ridley
>King K. Rool
>Simon Belmont (Classic and Modern alts)
>Poochy (Yoshi's Island)
>Cross (Xenoblade X) (Male and Female alts)
>Pokemon (Sun/Moon)
>Lip (Panel De Pon) (Lip's Stick is still an item)

Echoes
>Daisy
>Shadow the Hedgehog
>Dr. Luigi
>Impa (Skyward Sword)
>Ninten

Don't expect assist trophies to become DLC characters either. Apparently most of them are returning.
I'D NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FROM YOU, BARRY! :(

(lol)

Where'd ya get the second one?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
View attachment 149502
The fact that nobody ever mentioned Poochy ever as an idea questions its viability. Mostly fake, but I've never heard anyone who makes both no sense and some sense.
I will repeat myself, if Poochy by some act of god gets in for whatever reason

His tagline better be "Poochy ain't stupid"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom