• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
As someone who's never played any of the Prime games, can someone ELI5 Dark Samus to me?

It's basically the remnants of Metroid Prime stuffed into Samus' Phazon Suit, right?
At the end of Prime 1, Metroid Prime 1 stole Samus' Phazon Suit. The 100% ending depicts this. Instead of having the Time Stone like Samus has, Dark Samus has an eyeball on her hand, for some reason

Shroob

Sup?
At the end of Prime 1, Metroid Prime 1 stole Samus' Phazon Suit. The 100% ending depicts this. Instead of having the Time Stone like Samus has, Dark Samus has an eyeball on her hand, for some reason
Out of place eyeballs and mouths are staple for incomprehensible alien designs.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Something else that's interesting about the poster.

Untitled.png

Popo is clobbering at something, and unless he's trying to get Game and Watch for breakfast, it may be something that hasn't been added yet. I thought that he may be trying to get the duck, but my mindset's looking more towards the duck reacting to Toon Link trying to get a shot at it instead. or maybe my tinfoil is on too tight

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Hm.

So basically it'd work as an Echo like Samus, but could have a different Final Smash ala Dark Pit with its Phazon He---tentacles?
Theoretically, yes, a lot of Samus’s moveset could work for Dark Samus.

But, Dark Samus has a TON of unique abilities that Samus doesn’t that could be used to give her a completely unique moveset. Considering her last appearance was over a decade ago and that she’s confirmed not to be showing up again? I’ll take her as a clone over her not showing up at all. If nothing else there’s the possibility for Luigification in future titles.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I really love the Smash Ultimate theme. I can't stop listening to it.
I wonder if it's like the Smash 4 theme though, where the full version won't be heard officially again until release.

I remember that the version of the Smash 4 opening used in the initial E3 2013 trailer was never really used again until the Wii U version released in November 2014. it was either only splayed for a few seconds, or just not used at all. Waiting for the official theme was pure torture, personally speaking.

He does so good in every role, my personal favorites being Rean in Trails and Taka in Danganronpa, but then again i'm heavily biased for both of those series.
Funny, I'm actually in the process of NG+ing ToCS right now.
I could totally go to town with Danganronpa references right now but I doubt that'd be appreciated (since that's what SHSL got localized to).
I have a little more than 11036 reasons why that may or may not be a good idea.

I have a Mii Swordfighter for that.
Is the sword in that scenario a butcher's knife or a frying pan?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
When people suggest sandbag for smash they are joking right? Because if people are serious about it I'm going to be sad and a little scared.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Fighting Pikachu and other fast characters as Ike is an exercise in tedium.
When people suggest sandbag for smash they are joking right? Because if people are serious about it I'm going to be sad and a little scared.
I just want sandbag to be grabbable so I can practice throw comboes.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not.

It'd be the perfect hidden, final unlock character.

Sandbag's been with us for over 17 years now, and all we've done is whale on him.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think people are half joking, nobody's actually suggesting the Sandbag in any serious degree.

...it could work in a really, really weird way (as the Ultimate Joke Character), but I don't think anyone truly believes it's likely.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well, on one hand, they probably are joking.

But on the other hand, this is the internet. There are all kinds of people with all kinds of wants out there.
Plus, given the inclusion of Sandbag in Super Smash Flash 2, it wouldn't surprise me at all if people genuinely wanted it in Smash.

Honestly, I'm not even opposed to the idea myself. It'd be pretty cool/funny. Though I doubt it'd happen.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Something I never thought before that I would actually really like is the return of Metal Mario (& Luigi from Melee Adventure). He's pretty special to me in my heart and is more than just average Metal fighters, plus I like the weird drowned out voice Nintendo gave him in the Mario Kart games. :p

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I swear, Smash is so big you can find people who want to play as Mario's left shoe.

Or those insufferable edgelords who want things "cuz lol, le internets will rage so hard, lmfao salllllt, XDdddddddd!!!111!"

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm not.

It'd be the perfect hidden, final unlock character.

Sandbag's been with us for over 17 years now, and all we've done is whale on him.
What would it even do? Seriously. We're not talking about duck hunt or pac man or something here. This is literally a sack with no limbs, appendages, or abilities. Sandbag is unable to even move. And fans of any first party character not in smash have a good reason to be upset if they put in literally just a sack before their character. Sandbag isn't even a character. How many pokeball Pokemon have been with us for just as long? Any of them should be in before freaking sandbag. I've seen some awful character suggestions but this takes the cake.

KMDP

Smash Legend
this is the internet. There are all kinds of people with all kinds of wants out there.
Yeah, I mean, I suggested "Fortune Smash" as a mode a few pages ago. :laugh:
I even brought up reasons why it would be a good thing!

MainJPW

M.T.A

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I swear, Smash is so big you can find people who want to play as Mario's left shoe.
I'm not sure if I would use that choice of words...
Untitled.png

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What would it even do? Seriously. We're not talking about duck hunt or pac man or something here. This is literally a sack with no limbs, appendages, or abilities. Sandbag is unable to even move. And fans of any first party character not in smash have a good reason to be upset if they put in literally just a sack before their character. Sandbag isn't even a character. How many pokeball Pokemon have been with us for just as long? Any of them should be in before freaking sandbag. I've seen some awful character suggestions but this takes the cake.
Smash Flash 2 made it work, so your argument is invalid.

If any character represents the actual 'Smash' series as a whole, and Master Hand is obviously out of the running, Sandbag, bar none.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Mcleodgaming made a full moveset for Sandbag, so Sakurai and his team can definitely make one.

Also, Sakurai is going to put a character in Smash regardless of other characters, and there's always going to be someone mad that their character didn't get in and someone else's did, so people being upset is a moot point really.

I'm not saying I seriously want Sandbag or think he's likely, but I think he'd be a fun character to play as.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Speaking of stages, can we get a new FE stage? Maybe Duma's Temple?

I don't need a character, but FE has 6 characters and only 3 stages. It's a weird ratio imo.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
You're only fueling Sandbag's thirst for revenge.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't need a character, but FE has 6 characters and only 3 stages. It's a weird ratio imo.
Blame the clone influx. And Corrin, especially Corrin. :ultcorrin:
Unfortunately I don't know any truly important FE areas that isn't just generic plains area #286

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Smash Flash 2 made it work, so your argument is invalid.

If any character represents the actual 'Smash' series as a whole, and Master Hand is obviously out of the running, Sandbag, bar none.
Wow. I have no words. I'm not even going to argue this. I'm not going to dignify this with a full blown discussion. Nothing personal. I just have no idea how to even respond to this absurdity.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

View attachment 149504

Popo is clobbering at something, and unless he's trying to get Game and Watch for breakfast, it may be something that hasn't been added yet. I thought that he may be trying to get the duck, but my mindset's looking more towards the duck reacting to Toon Link trying to get a shot at it instead. or maybe my tinfoil is on too tight
Interesting, I've thought about looking at this poster to see if it has any oddities for missing characters, after all, when seen in the direct, it was missing Daisy and and Ridley.

However I think particular picture can be summed up as simply being the edge of the poster. The actual full poster, Ridley and Ice Climbers are at opposite ends. So I think this is a general attacking towards the edge you see in a lot of fighting game art, noticeable example being the Smash Wii U cover art.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Given that most of the stages will be returning in Ultimate, how many new stages do you guys expect?
I personally think 10-12 new stages is a realistic number to expect.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Sandbag doesn't need legs to move, it can
S C O O T .

Wow. I have no words. I'm not even going to argue this. I'm not going to dignify this with a full blown discussion. Nothing personal. I just have no idea how to even respond to this absurdity.
In all seriousness, I think you're getting a bit worked up over something that doesn't really matter. There's really no need to be so dramatic.

Blame the clone influx. And Corrin, especially Corrin. :ultcorrin:
Unfortunately I don't know any truly important FE areas that isn't just generic plains area #286
Well what we've got is a Castle, a Coliseum, and Arena Ferox. That covers two of FE's consistent series locations, while also giving us a unique one.

If they decided to go for more unique stages, they'd be hard pressed to find one that is a non-final boss stage. Perhaps a mountain stage?

I'm gonna go look back at the FE maps real quick.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Of course Sandbag's not in my top ten, or even top 25 most wanted new characters, but if Sakurai decided to put Sandbag is as a final hidden joke character to celebrate 20 years of Smash, I'd have a laugh over it, nothing to get soo fricken DRAMATIC over, is just gaem, y u haf 2 b mad.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Sandbag doesn't need legs to move, it can
S C O O T .

In all seriousness, I think you're getting a bit worked up over something that doesn't really matter. There's really no need to be so dramatic.

Well what we've got is a Castle, a Coliseum, and Arena Ferox. That covers two of FE's consistent series locations, while also giving us a unique one.

If they decided to go for more unique stages, they'd be hard pressed to find one that is a non-final boss stage. Perhaps a mountain stage?

I'm gonna go look back at the FE maps real quick.
I'm not actually upset or anything. I'm just a little taken aback that this is a serious suggestion. If people want to discuss this kind of thing I don't have a problem. I'm just a little flabbergasted.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Speaking of stages, can we get a new FE stage? Maybe Duma's Temple?

Some stage ideas I've had for FE include on the back of Grima like in Awakening, the Dragon's Gate from the end of FE7, the Bottomless Canyon from Fates, and some variation of the Secret Shop from across the games. The My Castle from Fates could also be a fun Mario Maker-esque map with different layouts and themes.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I don't know if anybody else mentioned this yet, but I feel like we should get Icicle Mountain and Rainbow Cruise back.
We kind of need more auto scrolling levels. Plus, they would have some sweet looking Omega and Battlefield forms.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not actually upset or anything. I'm just a little taken aback that this is a serious suggestion. If people want to discuss this kind of thing I don't have a problem. I'm just a little flabbergasted.
Sakurai made a toy robot have rocket thrusters and shoot laser beams out of its eyes, he could make a punching bag fight back if he wanted to.

Lorewise, Sandbag is very much a sentient being. Ever notice how it picks itself up after being hit in Home Run Contest? Its trophies basically say "It's alive".

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice

The duck is almost certainly reacting to the dog biting its rump. Trust me, I know how ducks think.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Given that most of the stages will be returning in Ultimate, how many new stages do you guys expect?
I personally think 10-12 new stages is a realistic number to expect.
Jeez, we already have 5, so I'll just suggest 7 more?
1. Wario Land or Wario World, pls daddy sakurai i cant just sit here with WarioWare all day
2. Something Retro or unexpected, we saw Wrecking Crew last time, so maybe another NES game like Pinball?
3. If there's a new third party, they'll definitely get a dedicated stage to them.
4. Fire Emblem does deserve a new stage, I'll admit. If only I knew any good ones.
5. Something from a new Xenoblade, maybe? Or Mechonis Field with Jadeface as a stage hazard like Metalface?
6. You know that scene from Ridley's boss fight and the one in his trailer? I'm like 82% confident it's the same one. Make it a stage, it'd be rad.
7. Gangplank Galleon

KMDP

Smash Legend
Some stage ideas I've had for FE include on the back of Grima like in Awakening, the Dragon's Gate from the end of FE7, the Bottomless Canyon from Fates, and some variation of the Secret Shop from across the games. The My Castle from Fates could also be a fun Mario Maker-esque map with different layouts and themes.
What about the Cyrkensian Opera House?

*groans of increased discomfort*
Hey, hear me out! It's a location that appears in both directly purchasable sides of the game and in the intro/trailer. It'd be at least recognisable!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Sakurai made a toy robot have rocket thrusters and shoot laser beams out of its eyes, he could make a punching bag fight back if he wanted to.

Lorewise, Sandbag is very much a sentient being. Ever notice how it picks itself up after being hit in Home Run Contest? Its trophies basically say "It's alive".
Honestly, if you want to discuss sandbag that's fine. I just have nothing more to share on it. After looking up smash flash and seeing that it just flops around, my final statement is just "That's pretty dumb". I have nothing else to say. That sums up everything I think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom