• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Alright my dudes, here's an initial version of a newcomer pool I did for fun. I'm looking to add onto it, but for now these are characters that I believe have a shot at getting into Smash Ultimate. Whether or not they have a good chance is irrelevant, because I personally think anybody on this list has some sort of chance.

While I do think Spring Man or a Rex and Pyra team might be just too late for roster selection (Spring Man moreso) I still think they've got a shot. The newcomer icon is for the usual retro/Sakurai pick. I'm not going to take a wild guess on the wildcard pick like :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:, because I will without a doubt be way off, most likely.

What do you think? Who else should I add?
Potential Newcomers for Smash Ultimate v1 Roster.png

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Skyward Sword is a game I also liked. The faults it has can be shared with and compared to other faults people had with previous games.

I feel like, again, it broke away fron the traditional Zelda formula so much to some people, and, mixed with the controls that either worked great or didn't when you had little patience, it just garners a reputation as some Sonic 06 of the 3D Zeldas

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Something I just thought about: was Diddy Kong's Final Smash changed? He had one of those kinda transformables but also kinda not, which makes me think it got a big rehaul like Fox's Arwing. For all we know, Dixie Kong got Chrom'd. :p
You're gonna see new Final Smash functionalities for Peach, Diddy, Lucario, and Yoshi. Lucario will probably regain his Final Smash from Brawl, but in the form of Mega Lucario.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Alright my dudes, here's an initial version of a newcomer pool I did for fun. I'm looking to add onto it, but for now these are characters that I believe have a shot at getting into Smash Ultimate. Whether or not they have a good chance is irrelevant, because I personally think anybody on this list has some sort of chance.

While I do think Spring Man or a Rex and Pyra team might be just too late for roster selection (Spring Man moreso) I still think they've got a shot. The newcomer icon is for the usual retro/Sakurai pick. I'm not going to take a wild guess on the wildcard pick like :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:, because I will without a doubt be way off, most likely.

View attachment 149484
Shantae, of course.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

View attachment 149484
A solid list imo. There really isn't much you can pull from, unless...

Hanafuda for Smash when?

In all seriousness, I'd put another 3rd party on there. Maybe Shadow, since he's been getting a lot of support since the revelation of the who Echo Fighter thing happened.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Personally didn't like Skyward sword for how railroaded/story focused it was. I'm also of the weird opinion of liking Fi better than Midna.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

View attachment 149484
I feel as though you should add in Rayman and Wonder Red.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 149484
Jeez, please tell me this is just a list of who you think is capable rather than who you think will make it. :smirk:

If Sakurai wants to lift his concern of putting to many FE characters in, I wouldn't mind Chrom. FE is more the home of clones than the home of FE at this point.
Any DK rep is fine, just don't make Dixie an Echo.
Ashley is fine.
I don't like the new Xenoblade games, any one of them is fine.
Isaac is fine.
I don't believe in Verg's leak, and I'd prefer Bill Rizer from Contra or Raiden from MGS over Belmont, but to each their own.
Shovel Knight would be weird, but acceptable. It's multi-platform but it did originate on Nintendo consoles.
I'd rather have Tingle, I have no idea why everyone's suddenly on the Impa train. I don't see her as that important.
Never played Dillon's game, and Codename S.T.E.A.M. looks more interesting than a Western.
Waddle Dee is alright.
Captain Toad is fine, just still can't get over that he can't jump.
Just don't make Paper Mario a Mario clone and you're good.
Urban Champion, Captain Rainbow, Mach Rider, it's up to Sakurai who to pick.
Spring Man is definitely DLC.
Lloyd would probably be the second pick of Namco.
I think Jin would take Tekken's spot, not Heihachi.
Nah, I don't think Isabelle would make it in, she's more a supporter than a fighter.
I don't really care much about any Pokemon who could make it in, but I find Decidueye and Lycanroc so oversaturated.
I'd prefer Karate Joe
I'd prefer Dark Pit having his own character, or Hades/Medusa
Geno would be cool.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Also, K. Rool isn't in amy new games because Ninty technically doesn't fully own him.

Also, also: For Zelda, I honestly don't consider BotW to be some masterpiece and the best of the 3D Zeldas. I know, it's a vastly unpopular opinion, but I just don't. I have 70+ hours into the game and did enjoy it but, it just isn't my favorite. Sorry.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 149484
I think Dark Samus is a possible echo candidate

KingBroly

Smash Lord

View attachment 149484
Dark Samus, Shadow and Octolings, since you appear to be putting in Echo Fighters. Perhaps Medusa, Ken (Street Fighter) and Sandbag as well

Shroob

Sup?
Also, K. Rool isn't in amy new games because Ninty technically doesn't fully own him.

Also, also: For Zelda, I honestly don't consider BotW to be some masterpiece and the best of the 3D Zeldas. I know, it's a vastly unpopular opinion, but I just don't. I have 70+ hours into the game and did enjoy it but, it just isn't my favorite. Sorry.
That doesn't make any sense.

If that were the case, he'd never have shown up in Super Sluggers or King of Swing.

Rare made Dixie and Funky, but they're in the newest DK games.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

View attachment 149484
For Someone Unlikely but not Impossible, maybe Funky Kong.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I dreamt last night that Captain Toad was announced or rather I dreamed of his victory pose, but it wasn't even like unique. It was just him pointing like Zelda does in that one victory screen she has.

Sakurai already reusing animations and it's not even the next game yet.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Not weird at all.

Plus everything people praise Midna for, Linebeck does better...
Linebeck was robbed in Hyrule Warriors. He should have gotten in.
Put him in smash and all is forgiven.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Then I don't know why he's not being used anymore unless they just ran out of ideas with him. I guess the DK crew just strives for originality and creativity nowadays

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
So how would you all feel if one of the methods to quickly unlock characters in Ultimate is scanning their amiibo?

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

I believe that not to be the reason. They own him enough to use him when they see fit just as much as Diddy, Dixie and Cranky. Hopefully If and when he's in Smash, the new DKC by the new team will have him, if there is one.

Im not saying he WILL be in smash. If he isn't I'll move on to other chars, but until the question is answered, my support will not waver.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So how would you all feel if one of the methods to quickly unlock characters in Ultimate is scanning their amiibo?
You'd have people trying to find hidden fighters by scanning amiibos of characters not revealed yet and getting sad each attempt.

I say do it, purely for the lulz.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction: Third party companies will not get Echo fighters.

Not only is it because I don't think a character like Shadow would be an Echo fighter (he is the foil to Sonic, yet is nothing like him. They don't even run the same way!). I really have nothing to back myself up with that, but I just don't think that's something that would happen.

That list I put up there is not "an entire list of everyone I think will be in the game" but more of a "these characters have a solid shot of getting in". I will probably make potential edits in the morning.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction: Third party companies will not get Echo fighters.

Not only is it because I don't think a character like Shadow would be an Echo fighter (he is the foil to Sonic, yet is nothing like him. They don't even run the same way!). I really have nothing to back myself up with that, but I just don't think that's something that would happen.

That list I put up there is not "an entire list of everyone I think will be in the game" but more of a "these characters have a solid shot of getting in". I will probably make potential edits in the morning.
The main thing with Sonic & Shadow (you could easily have them just run different), is their core movesets in SA2 and several other games are pretty similar, Shadow does have his differences yes, but at his core he's close enough to Sonic for the Echo potential, and honestly it is the only reasonable way he is ever going to get into Smash.

I'm banking on it hard, I'm pretty much set with the roster already, so even if i'm wrong on this, I won't be too miffed, I just wanna see him and I feel this is the only shot he has.

Untouch

Smash Master

That isn't true, retro just said they wanted to do something new.

I'd imagine putting him into spinoffs is just difficult because of his size.

KMDP

Smash Legend

It's possible that making a third party character an echo fighter would be too little effort.

The only third parties I can see being Echoes are Ken for Ryu and Zack for Cloud (and even Zack could just as easily be an alt).

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I basically only have Yoshi amiibos....

So basically I'm set
"Oh yeah, I'm set to unlock a character that's already part of the default roster."

:p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I loved Skyward Sword and like Other M as a game.

Other M is a train wreck story wise though.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
This means absolutely nothing at all. This website is an echo-chamber that means nothing in the greater audience. Just look at the ballot results.

I love how everyone seems so defensive when I never said he's not getting in or anything.
If K.rool is so popular then why isn't he in the DK main games instead of getting small cameos and mii costumes? Nintendo's not stupid enough to dismiss a character as "popular" as y'all painting k.rool to be.
Obviously things might change, but they haven't yet.
Just like Ridley pre-Smash 4, he had many things going against him and ended up not happening, and just because Ridley made it doesn't mean everything this website or any other group of fans want will happen.
Doesn't mean he doesn't have merit worth being in it, or that we shouldn't try either. Ridley fans had every reason in the world to quit. You dismiss us like we are nothing, but we are something, just as you are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom