• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Listen to this man, my friends. Even if it's out of theaters now, it's still wise to remember these four words;
#ThanosDemandsYourSilence
That being said, I still plan on using that one track from Deadpool 2 in the event that Ridley is playable. To anyone who's seen the movie, you know exactly which track I'm talking about.
Sorry, but no. Like I said before, Can't pull that spoiler card well over a month beyond a movie's release when literally every single news outlet, discord server, Twitter feed, etc. In the world has already lifted it from their spoiler tags. We don't owe people who haven't used a few hours out of nearly two months to watch the film anything. Especially when this has already become one of the highest grossing movies of all time, meaning even people who don't know or even care about Marvel have probably seen it already. If you're wary of spoilers but still want to see the film this late into its release, you have no one to blame but yourself. It bites, and I've been in this position before, but that's just how it is.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here’s something, I mentioned before if fifteen Smash characters were to get Halloween costumes for Halloween; what would they be? Something like what Capcom does for Street Fighter.

How about summer vacation themed costumes?

What if 10 characters were to get costumes modeled after summer themes? I’ll post my later.
Ooooooooh, I like the Halloween idea. I'm late replying to this, but that's alright.

This as inspiration.

This as inspiration
Duck Hunt:
This one's hard. Maybe skeleton versions of both?

If he looks too similar with just the glasses, then he can easily look like the 64 model.

I guess...honestly Fox and Falco don't wear many different costumes.
R.O.B.:
I have legitimately no clue.

Hard to find good images, but when he dies in Earthbound he becomes a little ghost.

Lucas dresses as a Pigmask in Mother 3 at one point.
Wii Fit Trainer:
Maybe a completely monchrome recolor? All white??

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Alright, points in favor of Ridley:

-Huge demand for years.
-Had a role in every Smash to date.
-Sakurai has proven several times he can change his mind.
-Metroid Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4 (for those who think "relevance" is a factor).
-Possibly the strongest rumors to support Ridley's inclusion by leakers, insiders, or other vague statements.
-Little Nintendo iconic All Stars or villains left to be chosen, making Ridley ironically enough, possibly the most plausible newcomer this time around, after Inklings.
-The very likely possbility of the WiiU game being mostly copy-pasted due to the very similar graphics and engines between WiiU and Switch, potentially expanding developing time for other stuff, like trying to find a way to make him work.
-The potentiality of Bandai Namco making both, Smash switch and Metroid Prime 4, with Bamco possibly pushing Sakurai for Ridley's inclusion, or even helping on making him viable.
-Ridley's role in Smash 4 definitely seemed like Sakurai actually tried to make him work, and ended up being a pseudo-character/hazard.

And who knows what I'm forgetting. I mean, take it as you will, but, whether the rumors come to fruition or not, whether he ends up being playable or not, this is, without any doubt, ANY DOUBT, the best chance Ridley has ever had.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Popping in randomly to say I hope they keep Villager with his current proportions and don't use the New Leaf "taller" design.

The New Leaf design is really weird looking and ugly to me.

The girl looks cool, the boy looks terrible.
He looks like an ugly girl lol.

The pants are ugly, the eyelashes look weird and he is way too fat, looks like pear.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Popping in randomly to say I hope they keep Villager with his current proportions and don't use the New Leaf "taller" design.

I think the New Leaf design looks fine in AC and Mario Kart, but yeah, it doesn’t seem so fitting for how they’re depicted in Smash (it looks less athletic for one thing, how do you think they’d look doing flips and stuff?)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ridley would be a miracle at this point, but that’s all I can say about him since I never cared about him. (Eve though the constant teasing ticks me off too.)

As for a possible E3 trailer, I wouldn’t be so ambitious about it.

I highly doubt it’s gonna be a Brawl-esque trailer where they show off atleast 5 newcomers to build hype.

I predict it’s gonna be more like Smash 4’s where they give off a brief showig of the pre-existing cast, show off the Inklings (their first newcomer) and a secret newcomer at the end. (Mega Man)

I don’t want to be right though.
You didn't hear the vergeben leak gained a lot of ground in creditbility obviously

The leak involved konami at E3 will have two games for the switch one is a compilation and the other is a action/adventure

Then out of 61 only 2 were for the switch and those exact themes (compilation, action/adventure) were the themes he got it right on the nose

Either a miracle or he does have sources

And if you don't know the leak

Ridley/Simon Belmont/snake/ice climbers all playable

No cuts from smash 4

Possible involvement of minecraft in smash bros, not necessary playable character

And the 2 konami games I meantion

By the way another leaker claims a castlevania collection for the switch which kind makes sense for one of the characters to present for that

But really it's still best to assume fake so it doesn't blow up in are faces

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I hope to God we don't get Ridley's Other M design if he somehow does make it in.

I'm just really not a fan of that design, distaste for Other M aside. Heck, I'll even take his more out there recent design over Other M.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I remember seeing this Omega Ridley concept art
in a Nintendo Power issue and thinking how cool it looked. Sadly I didn't get too far into Metroid Prime 3, so I never saw him in action. Anyway, I think this design or a similar one could work without being too scaled down or hunched together. Not that I care about that, but it's a common argument against Ridley.
I always did like that design of his. The final one in the game itself is cool, but this one is sleeker. Also, I'm a sucker for Blue/Orange.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I hope to God we don't get Ridley's Other M design if he somehow does make it in.

I'm just really not a fan of that design, distaste for Other M aside. Heck, I'll even take his more out there recent design over Other M.
No that ship has sailed thank heavens

It would probably be proteus Ridley with out the armor or whatever metroid prime 4 Ridley looks like

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman

Agreed, I'm hoping for either:
A) Samus Returns Proteus Ridley
B) Whatever new design he might have in Prime 4
or C)an original but still faithful design by Sakurai

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Found the perfect way for the giant purple dragon to fit in Smash:

: ^ )

Jokes aside, Grima alt for Robin with altered voice lines, victory screen and Final Smash is a pipe dream of mine. Low effort way to get a big bad playable and give Robin even more variety

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
If Ridley and Rool are in I’d be content with the roster

Anything beyond that is going to be a improvement regardless

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You didn't hear the vergeben leak gained a lot of ground in creditbility obviously

The leak involved konami at E3 will have two games for the switch one is a compilation and the other is a action/adventure

Then out of 61 only 2 were for the switch and those exact themes (compilation, action/adventure) were the themes he got it right on the nose

Either a miracle or he does have sources

And if you don't know the leak

Ridley/Simon Belmont/snake/ice climbers all playable

No cuts from smash 4

Possible involvement of minecraft in smash bros, not necessary playable character

And the 2 konami games I meantion

By the way another leaker claims a castlevania collection for the switch which kind makes sense for one of the characters to present for that

But really it's still best to assume fake so it doesn't blow up in are faces
I’m aware of it obviously, but I’m trying to take it with a grain of salt so I don’t get disappointed.

I know the Mac/Pac/Mii and 3DS leaks were real but still.

And no cuts? Call me insane but I actually kinda want some cuts...

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
E3 is in 4 daysssssssssss I don't think I've ever been so excited before

Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon and SMASH!!!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It doesn't have to be locked to a single stage. The stage list would just have to be smaller, just like in 8 player smash, in order to accommodate the boss moves.

And ridley's height isn't the primary issue. It's his body proportions that mess things up.
That's not what I ment

Literally only one stage you would be able to use Ridley with that concept

What ever the metroid stage is

If you picked any other stage it would be a different boss

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Hey guys, I was thinking we could do another little hypothetical game to pass the time as E3 approaches.

Come up with, or pick, 2-3 “WTF” newcomers you’d like to see.

WTF characters are generally defined as curveball characters with seemingly no prior precedent set for their inclusion, and they tend to represent an iconic piece of hardware/software, or a time in Nintendo's history.

Of course you can have fun with this, and play fast and loose with the definition of a “WTF” character.

Here are some ideas I've come up with:

The Mario Paint cursor, with Mario in his painting smock in the background or foreground - its moves would rely on form swapping to one of the various cursors from the game, such as the fly swatter. Mario would be, in the vein of Pokemon Trainer, standing in the back or foreground, in his painting smock.

And we don't need to limit ourselves to first parties when playing this game...~

So, next. MissingNo. Listen, I actually don't have much of an idea as to how the hell this fighter would work, and its inclusion is typically only seen on preteen meme dream lists, but I've internally sold myself on it being a good idea.. at the very least it'd be a hilarious PokeBall inclusion, but, I digress.

Game hacking and cheating more specifically are huge mainstays of gaming and the culture surrounding it – and if WTF characters are geared toward celebrating hardware and odd quirks of the culture, then I think MissingNo. covers a few key bases.

I'd just suggest something like a GameShark/Game Genie character but there's probably tense licensing issues with those peripherals, and, hey, a WTF Pokemon character is one of the last things anyone would anticipate.

It wouldn't even need to be MissingNo., necessarily. It almost borders on being too close to Shrek and SpongeBob. A character that hacks or “glitches” the battlefield would be a lot of fun, however, and could still somehow be tied to cheating/code devices.
~~
Things like WTF items and stages are also a lot of fun to think about. A WTF item I've been thinking about, for example, would be something like an arcade cabinet item that is obtained/activated like an Assist Trophy, but instead of actually summoning AI help to the battlefield, the player would take control of a very barebones “game” UI (Space Invaders, for example) overlay that appears. Of course, the enemies you'd be aiming for in any given context of arcade game would be the other players/fighters. It'd be sort of a combination of AT/the dragoon parts/and a weaker Final Smash, in theory.
Very late reply, but probably Arcade Rabbit and some irrelevant Pokémon like Scizor or Weavile.

I don't mind it, but I prefer the SSB4 one for Smash. Plus, if the Villager got that redesign they'd probably shake up the alts and my favorite one may be cut.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Everyone's allowed their opinions. I can see the appeal of a boss battle mode with playable bosses. But honestly, what I think would be better than that, would be asymmetric special smash. If you're not sure what that means, it means the normal rules for special smash, except instead of applying them to all players at once, you can apply each status per character.

So you could have one character giant, metal, and stamina, and the other normal. This would let us create our own boss battles, as well as a whole lot of other interesting stuff.

As for the appeal of boss battles in order to include characters that don't make sense as being playable, I can understand that appeal as well. It'd be really neat to be in the reigns of something like Rayquaza from Brawl, or Master Hand, etc.

However, personally, I think it would be a disservice to Ridley in particular to be shunted into the boss role again. Excuse my harshness, but if you think that there would need to be too many compromises to make Ridley playable, you know jack**** about game design. Playing the game competitively does not actually give any credentials there. If that's the only way you can see the character, it just means you're being small minded.

Size is not the core freaking tenet of Ridley's character. Being a vicious, underhanded, ingenious space pirate dragon is his character. If we can make a 2D character, two characters in one (IC), and if we can make Olimar from the size of a penny to smash capable, then Ridley is not outside of the realm of possibilities.

Sorry if I came off as a little mean there, I've just been arguing these things since 2006 and it gets old.
You did come off as mean, but I accept your apology lmao.
Im terms of actual game design, yes there are issues. Ridley in a playable state would have to be smaller than his previous smash appearances yes. Thats not something thats up for debate, and I'm sure we can all agree on that. The problem is that you can't just squish his height without him looking terrible. And if you shrink him in general, his body is going to be tiny.

But lets throw that outta the window. Let's pretend that size isn't a problem at all. What of his moveset? I can see ridley going a few ways. Either you could go the slow heavy powerful route, or you could go the quick light weak and ranged route. You can't have ridley being fast, heavy, powerful, and have good range. You'd have to pick, and I think that's a compromise since I've never seen ridley depicted as either of the two options I've mentioned. And thats completely ignoring how they'd have to gimp his flight or wings.

Modders have tried their best to make ridley work too. But they're all horribly unbalanced or not pretty to look at. Sakurai could try to force it, but I think depicting ridley as anything other than the brutal space pirate we've come to know would be even more of a disservice to the character than appearing as he always has in his games. As an intimidating boss enemy.

Again, this leads me back to the idea of not everything having to be a playable character. Ridley has appeared in every smash game to date in some capacity, and even has his own stage in 4. I think thats more than any non playable character has ever gotten, and even more than some playable characters have gotten (looking at you cloud). I just don't see him having to be an actual character to rep him given the circumstances, and I suspect sakurai feels the same.

Or I mean he could change his mind and get it to work, who knows man.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm also hoping we'll get a trailer similar to Brawl's, in that a decent chunk of characters are actually shown off ASAP. If this game is still supposed to come out this year, I want to get a glimpse at the vets.

With new characters, I'm guessing 2 or 3 more aside from the Inkling's getting actual gameplay footage.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
E3 is in 4 daysssssssssss I don't think I've ever been so excited before

Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon and SMASH!!!
Seriously nearly everybody keeps forgetting this

It's starts tomorrow so we could end up with direct or demo roster leaks before Tuesday

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
1. Sacrifices guaranteed for more new characters.

2. There’s plenty of characters that can easily be removed and retooled somewhere else. (Mario buffed with Doc’s properties, costume, Dark Pit alt and voice etc, and tbh, Miis feel like a waste). Everyone else can stay though.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

2. There’s plenty of characters that can easily be removed and retooled somewhere else. (Mario buffed with Doc’s properties, costume, Dark Pit alt and voice etc, and tbh, Miis feel like a waste). Everyone else can stay though.
Actually believe it or not the miis could get cut

The miis aren't used that much on the switch

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ooooooooh, I like the Halloween idea. I'm late replying to this, but that's alright.

This as inspiration.

This as inspiration
Duck Hunt:

If he looks too similar with just the glasses, then he can easily look like the 64 model.

R.O.B.:

Hard to find good images, but when he dies in Earthbound he becomes a little ghost.

Wii Fit Trainer:
Awsome list. I got to think. How for Wii Fit Trainer it became Wii Fat Trainer? That's horror right there.

Ridley would be a miracle at this point, but that’s all I can say about him since I never cared about him. (Eve though the constant teasing ticks me off too.)

As for a possible E3 trailer, I wouldn’t be so ambitious about it.

I highly doubt it’s gonna be a Brawl-esque trailer where they show off atleast 5 newcomers to build hype.

I predict it’s gonna be more like Smash 4’s where they give off a brief showig of the pre-existing cast, show off the Inklings (their first newcomer) and a secret newcomer at the end. (Mega Man)

I don’t want to be right though.
Given that this is the first news of the game we're getting in months, there's practically no way it won't be a huge data dump. I don't think my body will be ready.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

Sacrifices don’t guarantee new characters if it’s the case that, as many of us are assuming, that Smash 5 will be similar enough to 4 that most of the files of 4 characters can be reused. It’s much, much less effort to copy paste a veteran’s animations than to make a completely new set of new ones. It’s similar logic to why clones exist in the first place.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice

I totally get the Miis, they're hands-down the most forgettable characters.

But Doc and Dark Pit are tricky, since I don't think Sakurai intentionally says "this roster needs some clones." He creates them as kinda last-minute additions to flesh out the roster. I think Sakurai would much rather have 2-3 characters that play similarly but overall differently than a costume.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
The only issue I see with keeping Ridley an un-playable character is wondering what more can Sakurai do with him at this point? As said before, it's a fact that Ridley is the only non-player character in Smash who's as relevant as the player characters themselves, and this is shown with each new role he's gotten in that regard since Melee. He hasn't been an assist trophy yet, but it I think Sakurai actually likes Ridley and feels he's important enough that even becoming an AT would be a disservice to him.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You all can hope however much you want, but until Sakurai comes out and says Ridley's size and proportions are no longer an issue, he's as good as deconfirmed as far as I'm concerned.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

This as inspiration.

This as inspiration
Duck Hunt:

R.O.B.:

Wii Fit Trainer:
I fixed the broken images from this list, I think. Go ahead and let me know if any are still broken.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Seriously nearly everybody keeps forgetting this

It's starts tomorrow so we could end up with direct or demo roster leaks before Tuesday
I thought it was Sunday. But I'm assuming they mean strictly Nintendo's presentation, since that's what most people here even care about. We are on Nintendo game fan site.

I've also got Mega Man 11, Spider-Man PS4, Spyro, Soul Calibur 6, maybe DBFZ DLC and maaaaaybe DMC5 to get hyped up for. If they show up.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Arguably, Miis are actually *insert ginormous number* characters, so, statistically speaking, what will remain will be one Mii. Not one Mii class, one, single, very specific Mii.
That will be one lonely Mii

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
The only issue I see with keeping Ridley an un-playable character is wondering what more can Sakurai do with him at this point? As said before, it's a fact that Ridley is the only non-player character in Smash who's as relevant as the player characters themselves, and this is shown with each new role he's gotten in that regard since Melee. He hasn't been an assist trophy yet, but it I think Sakurai actually likes Ridley and feels he's important enough that even becoming an AT would be a disservice to him.
I consider an AT a downgrade, i feel like with each game he came closer to bea playable character, he started in the background in 64, he was in the intro in meele he was TWO bossfights in brawl, and in smash4 he was a stage hazard with half a moveset. like sakurei works on him for over more then a decade or something

Zeox

Smash Champion
What videogame places you would love to see become stages in this new smash?
I would like to have a bowser castle stage, with lava and flags with bowser's face.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Would you guys be upset if we got a mode with playable bosses vs players? Like say getting to play as ridley, yellow devil, master and crazy hand, etc. Kind of like bowser party, but with smash.

I could definitely see sakurai going down a route like this to try to appease fans of ridley without having to compromise how he feels ridley would work in smash.

Would you guys take that, or would you prefer ridley just being absent?

Personally I would vastly prefer this over getting a playable ridley even. I'm a firm believer that not every character needs to be represented in a playable role, and I think ridley is one of the best possible boss characters you could have in smash period. I'm also someone that plays the game competitively and can only see ridley being extremely bad due to compromises having to happen, or busted due to trying to stay true to the character, and that's just not something I'm not interested in playing with. I'm assuming thats the same dilemma sakurai has come to as well.
How to instantly spit in the face of your fans tbh.

Either character Ridley, or no Ridley.

But that's me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom