• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
By cutting half of the cast?
exactly. Take out any character people have a problem with, and the ones who are “defenseless” will get to rise and prosper, just the way he likes life. The snap can even be his final smash...or the only move he needs

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Nonsense. If Thanos had his way, we'd only have one Ice Climber. Can't have that, now can we?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
By cutting half of the cast?
Of course, it won’t necessarily be balanced, as it has already been shown that a roster half the size of what we can assume Smash 5’s might be won’t necessarily be balanced
So, he’d have to cut another half, and another, and another...
Eventually, there will be only one character left, which is the point at which we can say the roster is truly balanced.
(And even then, it might not be balanced due to something something port priority)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Of course, it won’t necessarily be balanced, as it has already been shown that a roster half the size of what we can assume Smash 5’s might be won’t necessarily be balanced
Eventually, there will be only one character left, which is the point at which we can say the roster is truly balanced.
(And even then, it might not be balanced due to something something port priority)
I hope the only character is Ridley.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The Miis and Clones will be bonus cuts for Thanos, so we’d still have 23 to erase from the world

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hope everyone on the roster has a favourable match-up against Ridley or this tournament will be hard for them.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The Miis and Clones will be bonus cuts for Thanos, so we’d still have 23 to erase from the world
Arguably, Miis are actually *insert ginormous number* characters, so, statistically speaking, what will remain will be one Mii. Not one Mii class, one, single, very specific Mii.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
The real question y'all should be asking about Krystal:
Will she be redesigned to match SF:Zero's artstyle or will she keep her Assault/Adventure proportions?
if she did got in, its more realistic that she'd get a what-if or conglomerate Smash Bros design of her most iconic appearance and the "updates" via Star Fox Zero
basing this on what happened with Shiek in Brawl

Attachments

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I honestly feel like, even if by some chance the big leak is false.

I'm over 1000% sure we'll get a Brawl-esque trailer that shows a bunch of people.

Also....

For this Smash Bros. Games....

Can we please have an actual intro instead of a ****ty gameplay compilation?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I remember seeing this Omega Ridley concept art
in a Nintendo Power issue and thinking how cool it looked. Sadly I didn't get too far into Metroid Prime 3, so I never saw him in action. Anyway, I think this design or a similar one could work without being too scaled down or hunched together. Not that I care about that, but it's a common argument against Ridley.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I hope everyone on the roster has a favourable match-up against Ridley or this tournament will be hard for them.
We don't even know what Ridley plays like yet I already doubt Jigglypuff will do well against a character who's likely to have both high air mobility and a massive disjoint. What is wrong with me?

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Just to clear up any confusion in regards to his sources:

Source 1 (Namco): Ridley is in.

Source 2: No Cuts, Simon, ICs, Ridley at E3, Snake.

Source 3: Ridley at E3, will have presence outside of just his reveal (he approached Vergeben himself, so might be unreliable).

Unclear which source it belongs to: Minecraft representation.

He said on Reddit that he was told about Snake by Source 2. With all of this Konami stuff coming from Source 2, it's very likely that the Castlevania leaks are also coming from him.
the guy who approached about the show floor assets is Source 4/the floor planner
the Snake+Minecraft, hearing the same from the Source 1+2, the Castlevania leak, and the new stuff (Just cause 4 in development+E3 reveal, Platinum stuff, Grand Prix, and Xenoverse 3+new CC2 Dragon Ball title) is Source 3/the Mighty Refutable source

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I remember seeing this Omega Ridley concept art
in a Nintendo Power issue and thinking how cool it looked. Sadly I didn't get too far into Metroid Prime 3, so I never saw him in action. Anyway, I think this design or a similar one could work without being too scaled down or hunched together. Not that I care about that, but it's a common argument against Ridley.
All he's missing is the arrowtip at the end of his tail

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Still having trouble coming to terms with this Ridley stuff, here I was thinking I was done with Ridley and whatever happens happens but now I've fallen back down the rabbit hole. God I hope this rumor is true, it's got so much backing it up too.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I honestly feel like, even if by some chance the big leak is false.

I'm over 1000% sure we'll get a Brawl-esque trailer that shows a bunch of people.
The two biggest smash hype moments of my life were, in order

1. That Brawl reveal trailer. I was on cloud 9 for days. Four back to back character reveals, final smashes shown for the first time, and our first ever third party reveal, that was so out of the blue. That thing's hype carried on a loooong time.

2. The Robin/Lucina/Falcon video for Sm4sh. That **** put me through the moon. Mainly because at the time I thought it proved the main leak (which I didn't like because no Ridley) false, and because Robin looked hype as hell. Also Captain Falcon is definitely canonically now a Fire Emblem character. Turned what looked to be a straightforward speculation cycle on it's head.

So I'm expecting something of that magnitude. Balls to the wall hype generation. This time, I'm even fine if the leaks are true, that'll put my most wanted character in. So let's go!

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I seriously hoped to see Smash leaks over spoilers of Infinity War. I've yet to see it, please guys. I'm looking forward to it, but have not had my chance yet, don't wish it spoiled.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Mr. Sakurai, I don't wanna go.
Finally I can post my picture and still be on topic! lol

Infinity War Spoiler*
wolf.jpg

Seriously though, I'd be interested in a Smash "relaunch" where they hugely reduce the number of fighters but give each veteran a huge rework...

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I seriously hoped to see Smash leaks over spoilers of Infinity War. I've yet to see it, please guys. I'm looking forward to it, but have not had my chance yet, don't wish it spoiled.
You can't expect people to not reference a blockbuster film more than a month old, sorry to say. It stinks that you couldn't see it yet, but frankly, that's not something the general public can control or honestly should consider for the vast minority who haven't seen it. Sadly, it's on you, not us.

That being said, based on what I've seen so far, don't worry about it too much. Besides out of context memes, there hasn't been any major spoilers in here from what I have seen so far. The movie makes it no secret from the beginning and through its promotions and trailers that Thanos wants half the universe gone. It's just what his ultimate goal is, nothing more and nothing less. Nothing really that spoiler-y about it, honestly. Just his wants.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Would you guys be upset if we got a mode with playable bosses vs players? Like say getting to play as ridley, yellow devil, master and crazy hand, etc. Kind of like bowser party, but with smash.

I could definitely see sakurai going down a route like this to try to appease fans of ridley without having to compromise how he feels ridley would work in smash.

Would you guys take that, or would you prefer ridley just being absent?

Personally I would vastly prefer this over getting a playable ridley even. I'm a firm believer that not every character needs to be represented in a playable role, and I think ridley is one of the best possible boss characters you could have in smash period. I'm also someone that plays the game competitively and can only see ridley being extremely bad due to compromises having to happen, or busted due to trying to stay true to the character, and that's just not something I'm not interested in playing with. I'm assuming thats the same dilemma sakurai has come to as well.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Heard the same thing about Rogersbase. Don’t know what he claimed in the past, so I can’t confirm.
He heard that Inklings would be a playable character back with Smash 4 DLC alongside Stealth_ and one other user, which as history's shown didn't pan out. I'm not sure if he had any other rumors that he started, but that's the most notable one I've seen from him.

As for Stealth_ himself, he has a pretty bad track record even outside Inklings, so I wouldn't rely on him.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
While everyone's on the Ridley subject for the 123,234 time, I wouldn't put too much faith in him making it. Sakurai seeing the fan demand might not change his mind on how Ridley should be represented even if he's "changed his mind" before for Villager and Pac-Man. Metroid as a series has done the "alone in space" theme constantly, and maybe Sakurai wants Samus to be the lone representative in Smash to allude in a way to that. Hype responsibly. Let's keep it 50/50 at most.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Would you guys be upset if we got a mode with playable bosses vs players? Like say getting to play as ridley, yellow devil, master and crazy hand, etc. Kind of like bowser party, but with smash.

I could definitely see sakurai going down a route like this to try to appease fans of ridley without having to compromise how he feels ridley would work in smash.

Personally I would vastly prefer this over getting a playable ridley even. I'm a firm believer that not every character needs to be represented in a playable role, and I think ridley is one of the best possible boss characters you could have in smash period. I'm also someone that plays the game competitively and can only see ridley being extremely bad due to compromises having to happen, or busted due to trying to stay true to the character, and that's just not something I'm not interested in playing with. I'm assuming thats the same dilemma sakurai has come to as well.
The only thing bad about that is that you would be restricted to one stage per boss

And you know Ridley fans will yell that doesn't count

A playable Ridley just a 1/4 taller than bowser is just a far trade

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Nobody's really given any spoilers, though. It's in the trailer. Thanos' goal is to destroy half the universe. Those pictures...well you don't know for sure what they mean ;) (Also I DID put a spoiler tag on mine)

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Listen to this man, my friends. Even if it's out of theaters now, it's still wise to remember these four words;
#ThanosDemandsYourSilence
That being said, I still plan on using that one track from Deadpool 2 in the event that Ridley is playable. To anyone who's seen the movie, you know exactly which track I'm talking about.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Ridley would be a miracle at this point, but that’s all I can say about him since I never cared about him. (Eve though the constant teasing ticks me off too.)

As for a possible E3 trailer, I wouldn’t be so ambitious about it.

I highly doubt it’s gonna be a Brawl-esque trailer where they show off atleast 5 newcomers to build hype.

I predict it’s gonna be more like Smash 4’s where they give off a brief showig of the pre-existing cast, show off the Inklings (their first newcomer) and a secret newcomer at the end. (Mega Man)

I don’t want to be right though.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
The only thing bad about that is that you would be restricted to one stage per boss

And you know Ridley fans will yell that doesn't count

A playable Ridley just a 1/4 taller than bowser is just a far trade
It doesn't have to be locked to a single stage. The stage list would just have to be smaller, just like in 8 player smash, in order to accommodate the boss moves.

And ridley's height isn't the primary issue. It's his body proportions that mess things up.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Everyone's allowed their opinions. I can see the appeal of a boss battle mode with playable bosses. But honestly, what I think would be better than that, would be asymmetric special smash. If you're not sure what that means, it means the normal rules for special smash, except instead of applying them to all players at once, you can apply each status per character.

So you could have one character giant, metal, and stamina, and the other normal. This would let us create our own boss battles, as well as a whole lot of other interesting stuff.

As for the appeal of boss battles in order to include characters that don't make sense as being playable, I can understand that appeal as well. It'd be really neat to be in the reigns of something like Rayquaza from Brawl, or Master Hand, etc.

However, personally, I think it would be a disservice to Ridley in particular to be shunted into the boss role again. Excuse my harshness, but if you think that there would need to be too many compromises to make Ridley playable, you know jack**** about game design. Playing the game competitively does not actually give any credentials there. If that's the only way you can see the character, it just means you're being small minded.

Size is not the core freaking tenet of Ridley's character. Being a vicious, underhanded, ingenious space pirate dragon is his character. If we can make a 2D character, two characters in one (IC), and if we can make Olimar from the size of a penny to smash capable, then Ridley is not outside of the realm of possibilities.

Sorry if I came off as a little mean there, I've just been arguing these things since 2006 and it gets old.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Popping in randomly to say I hope they keep Villager with his current proportions and don't use the New Leaf "taller" design.

The New Leaf design is really weird looking and ugly to me.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I been rewatching some character trailers.

Little Mac trailer is still just as good as I remember it to be.

God, I hope they nail it at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom