• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Fun little game for y'all.
Hmmm,

I don't think I would have believed Villager, Wii Fit Trainer (although I would have loved the idea), Greninja, Cloud, or Fire Emblem 14 protag.

I'd definitely love it though, simply for Lucina. :grin:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I do think that it's interesting that about eight of the fifteen base newcomers were predicted by the boards. Maybe Sakurai likes taking about 50% of the newcomers from popular choices?

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013

Outside of Cloud and Greninja, pretty much would have.
Greninja just because didn't even know what that was back then.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

Cloud Strife in Smash?

That's freaking fake, yo. There's no way he'd ever get in, despite how happy that'd make me.

It's impossible.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If by some miracle Yuri Lowell was in, it would mean having this track in the game. :D

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Look at that tail, can you imagine how disjointed some of his moves will be if it isn't a hurtbox?
View attachment 147355
I mean, it's not like there isn't precedent for absurd disjoints in Smash but still, I think it'd be a good idea to at least have a bit of the tail have a hurtbox.
With Zard, about a third of the tail is a hurtbox, and with Mewtwo about half of his tail is a hurtbox. Additionally with Mewtwo most of his tail rests in the z-axis, so he doesn't get hit so easily outside of using it and tumbling. Logically with Ridley the same would happen, some portion of his tail is a hurtbox to limit disjoint on his tail attacks, while it rests in the z-axis when not in use so it doesn't become a big detriment.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Ryu and Bayonetta would of taken me for a loop.

D

Deleted member

I heard some kind of FE talk twenty something pages ago and I want to contribute....

Give Roy, Cloud and Marth English voices please. FE is no longer outside of Japan.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

N3ON said:
If you had come to me in 2011 after Smash 4 got announced and said the newcomers were to be:

The Animal Crosser
The trainer from Wii Fit
Rosalina
Bowser Jr. with all the Koopalings as alts
Little Mac
3 different Miis
Duck Hunt Dog
The guy from that game that's never getting localized
Palutena
A dark version of Pit
A Gen VI Pokemon
Three FE characters that didn't exist yet
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Ryu
Cloud
and Bayonetta

I would've asked if you minded sharing whatever drugs you must be on. :joyful:
Still not convinced that isn't a fake list. :p

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I doubt Ridley's tail and wings would be a hurt box. People need to stop thinking of it as a tail and more like a glorified sword. Yea, it could be a hurtbox when attacking (like Mewtwo or Charizard), but other than that, Ridley would have a big frame to begin with, so I doubt people would have issues getting a hit on him regardless.

Also, I would def have called fake on Smash 4 and def Brawl's Newcomers lmao

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Look at that tail, can you imagine how disjointed some of his moves will be if it isn't a hurtbox?
View attachment 147355
I mean, it's not like there isn't precedent for absurd disjoints in Smash but still, I think it'd be a good idea to at least have a bit of the tail have a hurtbox.
Easy fix : Make the tail a hurtbox only during attacks (possibly super armor), so if you try to impale somebody with the tail and you ram it into a fireball you gain % but do not get knocked back as long as only the tail is hit. If that is still too powerful, make something above a certain %dmg stagger Ridley and cancel the tail attack.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

i'd have bought it right up until ryu and cloud, at which point i'd have been glad to write it off. Sakurai himself said characters from other fighting games were probably not gonna happen, and cloud pretty blatantly has no relationship with nintendo. no way they'd let those two join the party! the rest of the names would've bored me so i'd be glad to see something that so easily discredits it

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'm fond of making Ridley's wings and tail make him appear larger than he really is.
This. This is the perfect size for him with Samus as reference. He doesn't have to be gigantic. As long as he is brutal and ferocious and menacing.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

Hmm.. I think I'd believe if it wasn't for the DLC third parties and Corrin. But it has Lucina and Shulk so I'd be 200% biased.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
The only way I can see Ridley actually get the representation Sakurai believes he deserves (which includes Ridley at a massive size) is to make Ridley's size his entire gimmick.

The largest characters we've had up until now are Bowser, DK, & DDD. (K. Rool/Ganon would be in this category as well).

The idea now, I believe, is to just make Ridley be a Super Large character, and the only one of his kind. That'll be his entire shtick. He's so massive, all his attacks have great reach and good power, but he's capable of being nailed from that far away due to his own hurtbox. 8-Player Smashes would go one of two ways in a very extreme fashion: he's either winning above everyone because all his attacks are hitting, or he's getting obliterated because everything is hitting him instead.

If they can somehow balance out the gimmick of his size, which I know Sakurai can do if he REALLY put his mind and team to work 120%. He'd have fast attacks with some armor, but each attack would have a slower wind-up with an obvious tell.

I'm not a Ridley advocate, but having a supermassive character might actually be an interesting concept to play with or against. It might completely break the conventions of Smash, but it might be the only way to go even further beyond.

That being said, having 8 Ridley's on screen might be impossible... or it might not. Who knows other than the dev team?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Among that newcomer list? Cloud Strife, Ryu, Bowser Jr., Little Mac, MegaMan, Pac-Man, and Mii were all pretty believable to me. Rest took me by surprise.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
No that ship has sailed thank heavens

It would probably be proteus Ridley with out the armor or whatever metroid prime 4 Ridley looks like
Maybe I'm in the minority but I would love a glorious modern rendering of Ridley from Super Metroid. That's always been my favorite iteration of Ridley.
Honestly though, if he gets in at all I'll be MORE than content.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Two Mario newcomers? Still no Toad but we get a Peach clone and a Bowser clone.
Three Fire Emblem newcomers? Maybe Ike is cut so there are four Fire Emblem characters.
Lucina? But she would be a clone of Marth!
Dark Pit? But he would be a clone of Pit!
Two Capcom characters? I doubt it.
Villager? The Animal Crossing protagonist? I wonder how he would fight.
Wii Fit Trainer? Who? What? Why?
Greninja? Uhh... still no Meowth. Well, at least it is not Brawl Pokémon plus Mewtwo. I did want a new playable Pokémon after all.
Cloud Strife? But Final Fantasy VII was never on Nintendo consoles. Why not Cecil Harvey or Terra Branford?
No Dixie Kong or King K. Rool?
No Zelda newcomer?
Still no Ridley? Not surprising. He is too big.
Duck Hunt Dog? I hope this leak is real!

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm in the minority but I would love a glorious modern rendering of Ridley from Super Metroid. That's always been my favorite iteration of Ridley.
Honestly though, if he gets in at all I'll be MORE than content.
I hope for this too, along with maybe a metal Ridley and Proteus ridley skin.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Alright. Just for curiosity.

You got to pick 3 Newcomers. One being the one you want most out of anything and anyone. The second a character just to please it's fans. The last will be the character you despise the most.

Mine;

1. King K. Rool. (Most wanted newcomer.)
2. Ridley. (They have suffered enough.)
3. Rabbids. (God ... Not Mario Rabbids or anything, just plain Rabbids.)

D

Deleted member

Anyone want to critique my roster that's specifically made up of half oddball predictions? No? Okay, have it anyways.

It has Simon Belmont and Pig Ganon so it's good on my book.

Also are the yellow ones supposed to be DLC?

osby

Smash Obsessed

You got to pick 3 Newcomers. One being the one you want most out of anything and anyone. The second a character just to please it's fans. The last will be the character you despise the most.

Mine;

1. Dixie Kong
2. Ridley, I guess
3. Shuji Ikutsuki

?????????????

Smash Master

1. Rayman (My most wanted this time.)
2. Ridley (It's time.)
3. Lycanroc (I wouldn't say I despise it the most, but it's the one I see most frequently that I just don't care for)

Originality

Smash Journeyman

Mine;

1. Chibi Robo
2. King K. Rool
3. Minecraft Steve
The most despised one is the one I had the hardest time deciding really

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Anyone want to critique my roster that's specifically made up of half oddball predictions? No? Okay, have it anyways.

Likeliness? I’m gonna say no to Kamek, DK Jr, Isabelle, and Karate Joe.

How much I would enjoy it? Pig Ganon and Ridley make me a VERY happy little boy, but K Rool being DLC doesn’t (although I’d take that over not being in the game). Swap K. Rool with DK Jr, and maybe toss Waluigi in there, and I would be MORE than satisfied.

?????????????

Smash Master
The most despised one is the one I had the hardest time deciding really
Yeah, I mean...there's really no limitations there, is there?

I could've said my most despised newcomer would be Iska Farkas, but why would he be considered in the first place?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Two Mario newcomers? Still no Toad but we get a Peach clone and a Bowser clone.
Three Fire Emblem newcomers? Maybe Ike is cut so there are four Fire Emblem characters.
Lucina? But she would be a clone of Marth!
Dark Pit? But he would be a clone of Pit!
Two Capcom characters? I doubt it.
Villager? The Animal Crossing protagonist? I wonder how he would fight.
Wii Fit Trainer? Who? What? Why?
Greninja? Uhh... still no Meowth. Well, at least it is not Brawl Pokémon plus Mewtwo. I did want a new playable Pokémon after all.
Cloud Strife? But Final Fantasy VII was never on Nintendo consoles. Why not Cecil Harvey or Terra Branford?
No Dixie Kong or King K. Rool?
No Zelda newcomer?
Still no Ridley? Not surprising. He is too big.
Duck Hunt Dog? I hope this leak is real!
That's a good point that two Mario newcomers after not having any in brawl sould be shocking...it's sort of like how we haven't any Zelda newcomers and people would be surprised about 2 or more...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Mine;

Alrighty

1. Gardevoir (no one said anything about it being plausible)
2. Crash Bandicoot (like him but it's more for the significance)
3. CN ReBoot Lion-O (No one said it had to follow the VG only rule)

osby

Smash Obsessed

I could've said my most despised newcomer would be Iska Farkas, but why would he be considered in the first place?
Same. My most despised character isn't even playable character material.

Originality

Smash Journeyman

Fair, I guess I was trying to keep it a character that did at least have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom