• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Hey I had a thought these days that like it's obviously not happening but I'm bringing it as a "what if"/"how cool would it be"
Do y'all remember in E3 2015, Nintendo linked some game announcements in their presentation with Mario Maker gameplay snippets? Like when they were about to show Zelda games, a little sequence of Mario getting a Mystery Mushroom to transform into Link was shown. The same thing happened when they were going to show Fire Emblem (Marth) and Animal Crossing (Isabelle)

Seeing how Mario Maker was the main game of that E3, and Smash is this game this time around, how cool would it be that, sparsed along their presentation, some little 15-second videos were shown announcing Smash characters related to the game that's being shown next? (like Ridley for Metroid Prime 4, Celica/Lyn/FE18 for Fire Emblem, MImikyu/Decidueye/Lycanroc/Eevee for Pokémon, etc), maybe some veterans could be shown instead
I was just thinking about that earlier this week. That would be so dope.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Really hoping for Shantae. The character practically writes herself in Smash. Shovel Knight is a great game but my patience has run really thin with it because it's become super overrated and this hasn't been helped by the overabundance of cameos it has had.
Agreed, especially on Shantae

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...tendo-switch-title-be-debut-indie-characters/

Guess some indie character have a higher chance in joining than last game...Shantae and Shovel Knight specifically
i wonder how likely would be having non playable character indie reps? I would love the first stage of celeste as a stage, stardew valley and overcoocked could aslo bring interesting stages.

Aslo, i hope that if shovel knight makes it in, we get a stage to represent plague of shadows expansion... i need some plague knight love.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
i wonder how likely would be having non playable character indie reps? I would love the first stage of celeste as a stage, stardew valley and overcoocked could aslo bring interesting stages.
Would be the closest to someone like Sans being playable and not annoy those who don’t want him to be so

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Though the point is him being a villain wasn't why he got in. He got in because he was an easy clone to make while not removing the essence of his character(being powerful and evil). Ganondorf wasn't even really considered outside of that.
Even if that's all true, Ganondorf pretty much deserved a playable spot in Smash Bros., even if time constraints in Melee forced the developers to make him into a slower, but more powerful Captain Falcon clone.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even if that's all true, Ganondorf pretty much deserved a playable spot in Smash Bros., even if time constraints in Melee forced the developers to make him into a slower, but more powerful Captain Falcon clone.
While that's great, that isn't why Sakurai went for him at all. All he acknowledged was that he also was a fairly popular choice. Deserving is completely subjective.

------------

As for Indie reps, Shovel Knight is easily my pick. Feels like tons of great potential. Steve? is another great choice, due to his iconicness as well as heavily influencing gaming as a whole. None of the rest really pique my interest that much.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
After watching Delzethin's predictions, I could see how Steve would be on the radar. Minecraft is goofy popular across pretty much every platform it has been put on and pretty much THE Indie game breakout of the past decade. Not a fan but I don't think I've met anyone who calls themselves a gamer and hasn't played Minecraft at some point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
After watching Delzethin's predictions, I could see how Steve would be on the radar. Minecraft is goofy popular across pretty much every platform it has been put on and pretty much THE Indie game breakout of the past decade. Not a fan but I don't think I've met anyone who calls themselves a gamer and hasn't played Minecraft at some point.
Or at least know of it. I never played it myself. He's a major icon and few don't know of its existence(unless they never heard of games before, in which case, they might not know of many other gaming icons... at least those that are mostly games only with little other medias).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
If we get a MS rep, I would much prefer Master Chief just for the sheer ****storm it would generate or see Banjo and Kazooie return to Nintendo. Steve?, at least to me, does not interest me. But then again I don’t particularly care for Minecraft.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If we got an indie rep and it wasn't Shovel Knight? I'd be shocked.

No one has the crossover success he does. He's practically the Mario or Sonic of Indie games at this point.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If we get a MS rep, I would much prefer Master Chief just for the sheer ****storm it would generate or see Banjo and Kazooie return to Nintendo. Steve?, at least to me, does not interest me. But then again I don’t particularly care for Minecraft.
Not gonna lie, Master Chief would be so hype. He’s a gaming icon himself, so seeing him among the likes of Mario,Sonic,Pac-Man,Ryu duking it out would be fitting.

If only they actually went through with Halo DS, I would have made the support thread for him during Smash 4 times in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ganondorf is not just a villain, but he's also one of the best video game villains in existence. In fact, one could argue that Ganondorf is THE best Nintendo villain, since he's actually accomplished an ambition that Bowser could never pull off, and not once has he ever been portrayed as an anti-hero.
Uh. Yeah. I know.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Shantae is easily my pick for an indie character, though I wouldn't really mind Sash Lilac from Freedom Planet either.

I know he's heavily requested, but Shovel Knight doesn't really catch my interest (that and I didn't particularly enjoy playing Shovel Knight). Sans (or anyone from Undertale) seems to also be commonly requested but, again, doesn't really excite me.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not gonna lie, Master Chief would be so hype. He’s a gaming icon himself, so seeing him among the likes of Mario,Sonic,Pac-Man,Ryu dunking it out would be fitting.

If only they actually went through with Halo DS, I would have made the support thread for him during Smash 4 times in a heartbeat.
And possibly kill many hardcore Xbox loyalists who would want to play Master Chief in Smash...but don’t want to case they only want an Xbox

"Scorpion Gets Over Here !"
Scorpion vs Greninja and Ryu...I think everyone will end up needing this

Pakky

Smash Hero
Honestly, if you told me that MS/Xbox was changing their business strat and renting out the licenses to their properties I'd believe you.

Next console gen I don't see the Xbox being a thing. Which kinda sucks but they did this to themselves.

"Scorpion Gets Over Here !"
Test your might

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Honestly, if you told me that MS/Xbox was changing their business strat and renting out the licenses to their properties I'd believe you.

Next console gen I don't see the Xbox being a thing. Which kinda sucks but they did this to themselves.
They still have windows, and seem to be pushing the windows 10 store quite a bit. I wouldnt get surprised if teh next xbox is literally a gaming pc where you could install steam. (think like a steam machine, could work the same way that nintendo switch made the Nvidia shield concept work)

Pakky

Smash Hero
They still have windows, and seem to be pushing the windows 10 store quite a bit. I wouldnt get surprised if teh next xbox is literally a gaming pc where you could install steam. (think like a steam machine, could work the same way that nintendo switch made the Nvidia shield concept work)
That's my thinking, with 'Xbox' brand being a tad looser than we know it right now.

Or have I missed the point?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Test your might
Nintendo X Microsoft team up to bring all the things we’ve needed sounds good to me, like Halo on a handheld and Banjo/Kazooie coming home (and Sony would love that from a competitive pov)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think people have a weird concept of movesets potential. It's not just "can you come up with a moveset for them". By that logic everyone and everything has moveset potential. For example, a literal brick. "I think brick has a lot of moveset potential. It could have a mechanic where it summons other bricks to form different structures". If a brick has moveset potential then literally everything has moveset potential. And if we think everything has moveset potential, then we're missing something. Anyone can think of a movesets where a character wacks people with references to their game and stuff like that. I think movesets potential is more like what makes sense for them to do. Like put Link next to Isabelle and tell me who has more moveset potential. The terraforming aspect people have brought up for Isabelle is more interesting than Links moveset, and yet it would be ridiculous to say Isabelle has more moveset potential. Because with Link, it's natural. With Isabelle you have to make something up. Not necessarily arguing against Isabelle, just using her as an example.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As a 90's kid, I'd love BK to return plus I think it would be one of the few characters that would top Cloud in overall surprise and fanfare.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I think people have a weird concept of movesets potential. It's not just "can you come up with a moveset for them". By that logic everyone and everything has moveset potential. For example, a literal brick. "I think brick has a lot of moveset potential. It could have a mechanic where it summons other bricks to form different structures". If a brick has moveset potential then literally everything has moveset potential. And if we think everything has moveset potential, then we're missing something. Anyone can think of a movesets where a character wacks people with references to their game and stuff like that. I think movesets potential is more like what makes sense for them to do. Like put Link next to Isabelle and tell me who has more moveset potential. The terraforming aspect people have brought up for Isabelle is more interesting than Links moveset, and yet it would be ridiculous to say Isabelle has more moveset potential. Because with Link, it's natural. With Isabelle you have to make something up. Not necessarily arguing against Isabelle, just using her as an example.
Mods, how do I like a post twice?

I don't necessarily agree on the public works thing being lesser than Link's moveset potential, but I can see how you'd feel that way. Would you like to elaborate more on how you would evaluate types of moveset designs? I'd be interested to see your reasoning.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, Master Chief would be so hype. He’s a gaming icon himself, so seeing him among the likes of Mario,Sonic,Pac-Man,Ryu duking it out would be fitting.

I never got into Halo, but I can get behind this idea. How does Cortana work again? She could be the new Codec!

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
For example, a literal brick. "I think brick has a lot of moveset potential. It could have a mechanic where it summons other bricks to form different structures". If a brick has moveset potential then literally everything has moveset potential. And if we think everything has moveset potential, then we're missing something.
Ha ha, yeah, a literal brick that summons other bricks, how absurd...

*quickly deletes Tetrominos moveset*

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Thank you.

If you have to completely make up a moveset for a character, then you should think twice about how much "potential" they really have. The characters in Smash with made up movesets are the exception, not the rule, there needs to be at least some basis.

Not a fan but I don't think I've met anyone who calls themselves a gamer and hasn't played Minecraft at some point.
Hi.

I rememebr when i was a regular of this thread. . .feels like months ago

Master Chief is a guilty pleasure of mine. Halo was a very big game from my childhood, and seeing him in smash would actually be pretty awesome. If you want gaming icons, well, there you go. I would inevitably be disappointed by no Deference to Darkness though.
:061:

D

Deleted member

I don't see a problem with Isabelle. Stuff like "she's a pacifist" and "her moveset would just be an assortment of references to her home series" read exactly like the arguments used against Villager, a character who was previously denied for being a pacifist and whose moveset is just an assortment of references to their home series. It's almost like she could pull a similar fighting style off without coming across as forced or uninteresting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
As a 90's kid, I'd love BK to return plus I think it would be one of the few characters that would top Cloud in overall surprise and fanfare.
Them returning to the big N in playable form would be a huge statement and would befitting a title like Smash. Their inclusion would be more meaningful than other 3rd party characters due to the duos and Rare’s past relationship.

Roberk

Smash Champion
If Sakurai wants Smash to be the character game, then Master Cheif is the next step. Guns don’t seem to be an issue anymore and he’d be mostly sci-fi like Samus anyway. All it takes is Microsoft, and they seem like they are much more open with their brands nowadays.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I have played maybe a collectuve two hours of the Halo franchise in my life,it if Master chief got in and didn't have the bubble shield as a custom shield a la Yoshi then it would be a travesty.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So, what's this "heroes vs villains" leak from Imgur? The link is dead on my end, all I'm getting is a bunch of random images on the site. Is there any way I could see it for myself?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The Master Chief talk reminds me of something...

has anyone considered the main character of DOOM as a possibility? The series is pretty important to gaming, especially the first-person shooter genre, and has seen games on Nintendo consoles before, not counting the recent DOOM release on Nintendo Switch.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't see a problem with Isabelle. Stuff like "she's a pacifist" and "her moveset would just be an assortment of references to her home series" read exactly like the arguments used against Villager, a character who was previously denied for being a pacifist and whose moveset is just an assortment of references to their home series. It's almost like she could pull a similar fighting style off without coming across as forced or uninteresting.
It kind of bums me out that her and Ashley (Wario Ware) have become so readily dismissed as of late. I too think there's a lot to work with when it comes to Animal Crossing. It'd be easy enough to find new uses for the net, watering can, and even shovel but they haven't even incorporated the fishing rod or creatively bottomless leaves themselves yet. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Isabelle as accident prone drunken master style fighter would be hilarious. Throw in bugs, fish, and even fruit and flowers and I think they'd have a plethora of ways to pull this off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom