• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ridley should only be unlocked through the Sma5h tournament at E3.

"A New Challenger Approaches" flashes on the big screen. The winner faces Ridley.

If the tournament winner prevails Ridley is unlocked for the game.
If the champion fails than Sma5h becomes another Smash game without a playable space dragon.
Master Hero Samurai pls.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Honestly, if this leak were true, and we ended up with this, then I would not be upset at all. I think I could digg it.

https://imgur.com/a/2TgR5bw
You know.. I've been giving it a long thinking, especially the "Heroes vs villains theme" part.

The trailer, that whole dark, obscure theme, with the huge fire logo like it is some sort of cult, KIND OF felt like a war was about to start. You could even argue the good guys were recruiting Inklings, but then again, Bowser was in there so what do I know.

Phantasies aside, that roster definitely fits with Emily's "they are making the ultimate roster" statement, and also has IC, Belmont and Ridley, just like Vergebens said.
BUT, a lot of these options feel way too far fetched or "wish-like". Like.. Sora? Goroh? Porky? Geno AND Mallow? Snake returning? No Crash, Waluigi (this one's more justifible though), Rayman nor Toad? No Fire Emblem villain? I don't know..
Also, Chorus Kids just feel like they are there because they've been there in past fake leaks. Also Porky in the spider mech.. I mean, we have Bowsy in that cup kart thing, but..

I've come to terms that this is the typical leak mixing up true stuff and false stuff, in a way to protect him/herself, if he/she indeed knows part of the roster, OR maybe just made it all up but unintentionally guesses a few of them correctly.

You guys surely know about those characters more than me, so feel free to tell me why I shouldn't doubt their chances, but I think we can agree that roster is way too good to be completely true.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Let's talk about this probably fake leak for fun!

https://imgur.com/a/H8bcips

The list is probably:

1. Ice Climbers
2. Mimikyu or maybe Decidueye
3. Elma
4. Chorus Kids
5. Takamaru
6. Dixie Kong
7. Wolf
8. No idea, maybe Waddle Dee
9. No idea, maybe Tetra
10. No idea
11. No idea, maybe Porky lol
12. Samurai Goroh
13. Simon Belmont
14. No idea
15. Geno
16. Labo
My guesses...

1 Ice Climbers
2 Ghost Pokemon or A Pac-Man Ghost
3 Elma
4 Chorus Men
5 Takamaru
6 Balloon Fighter
7 Wolf
8 A robotic talking toy... hmm .. idk. sorta looks like an owl maybe rowlet... Chibi Robo?
9 Pirate pistol? Maybe KKR?
10 Medusa or a style savvy character?
11 Porky... maybe Octoling
12 Ray MK... or Samurai Goroh
13 Belmont
14 Clefkey.. sora.. possible a tamagotchi like Mametchi... since they went on key rings.
15 Geno
16 Labo

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
That's why you have to play more nintendo games, to expand your roster and get more excited about this kind of stuff, like one of the reasons why I played for the first time metroid and earthbound was just for that, and I don't regret it, now I love both franchises.
Tru, tru. I did that with Mega Man and now it’s one of my favorite series. Same with Mother 3...although I never finished the full game because my emulator crashed (thanx Apple...)

But then at the same time, I worry that I’m gonna end up buying all these games and getting bored in the first 5 minutes because of my ADHD. Like I can’t even begin to tell you how much money I’ve wasted on things I never end up finishing :drsad:.
For instance, I couldn’t get past the first level of Diddy Kong’s quest without having to turn it off and move to a different game because I just got too bored lol. Same with mega man battle network, xenoblade chronicles AND X, and so on.

As of now tho...I can only hope that at least one of my top picks gets in. Mainly Crash, Waluigi, Phoenix Wright, Wolf, or a new Kirby character.

Or Zero lol, but that ain’t happening.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Tru, tru. I did that with Mega Man and now it’s one of my favorite series. Same with Mother 3...although I never finished the full game because my emulator crashed (thanx Apple...)

But then at the same time, I worry that I’m gonna end up buying all these games and getting bored in the first 5 minutes because of my ADHD. Like I can’t even begin tell you how much money I’ve wasted on things I never end up finishing :drsad:.
For instance, I couldn’t get past the first level of Diddy Kong’s quest without having to turn it off and move to a different game because I just got too bored lol. Same with mega man battle network, xenoblade chronicles AND X, and so on.

As of now tho...I can only hope that at least one of my top picks gets in. Mainly Crash, Waluigi, Phoenix Wright, Wolf, or a new Kirby character.

Or Zero lol, but that ain’t happening.
Aw man that sucks... on the good side for you, that leaks is almost sure to be fake, first because it doesn't comes from someone believable, and second because there is never leaks for the full roster, there is always 1 or 2 characters, but the full roster? nop.

Pakky

Smash Hero
No Bandana Dee is a little weird though. That's probably me projecting though.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The thing is, there really aren't many other 3rd party characters that are more marketable, iconic, AND recognizable than Steve, whether people know the avatar from Minecraft has a name or not. I would hazard to guess Lara Croft is the only one, only thanks to her movies.
If Lara Croft is a possibility (recent movie included), than there would also be the likes of Amaterasu (maybe), and Scorpion/Sub Zero when it comes to sweets that haven’t been apart of Smash and have Nintendo history
For me, it was all up to Rosalina; :rosalina:. I forgot to mention who I used on my previous post.
with that Rosalina pfp I’m not surprised nor against that, as I love me some:rosalina:in my Nintendo games

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Heroes vs villains could hint at a Story mode come to think of it...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I feel like half the villains don't deserve to be in. A third original Kid Icarus rep? Porky Minch when Mother's been dead and buried (rest its soul) for years? ****ing... Samurai Goroh? Like, you have fan favorites Wolf, Ridley and K. Rool who each have had a huge amount of people requesting them for years. And then you look at those three and go "oh we should have a villain theme" and decide to add the ****ing bandana samurai rival from F-Zero. Mallow coasting in on Geno is also pretty weird.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
My guesses...

1 Ice Climbers
2 Ghost Pokemon or A Pac-Man Ghost
3 Elma
4 Chorus Men
5 Takamaru
6 Balloon Fighter
7 Wolf
8 A robotic talking toy... hmm .. idk. sorta looks like an owl maybe rowlet... Chibi Robo?
9 Pirate pistol? Maybe KKR?
10 Medusa or a style savvy character?
11 Porky... maybe Octoling
12 Ray MK... or Samurai Goroh
13 Belmont
14 Clefkey.. sora.. possible a tamagotchi like Mametchi... since they went on key rings.
15 Geno
16 Labo
We already know the list, it is:

1. Ice Climbers
2. Mimikyu
3. Elma
4. Chorus Kids
5. Takamaru
6. Dixie Kong
7. Wolf
8. Ridley
9. K. Rool
10. Medusa
11. Porky
12. Samurai Goroh
13. Simon Belmont
14. Sora
15. Geno & Mallow
16. Snake

No Bandana Dee is a little weird though. That's probably me projecting though.
DeeLC.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I feel like half the villains don't deserve to be in. A third original Kid Icarus rep? Porky Minch when Mother's been dead and buried (rest its soul) for years? ****ing... Samurai Goroh? Like, you have fan favorites Wolf, Ridley and K. Rool who each have had a huge amount of people requesting them for years. And then you look at those three and go "oh we should have a villain theme" and decide to add the ****ing bandana samurai rival from F-Zero. Mallow coasting in on Geno is also pretty weird.
Medusa would complete the original Kid Icarus Trinity (only problem is that Smash is canon to their series and neither her or Hades can be revived since they’re dead or mostly dead) and the rest I can’t talk about since I barely know them (as in the samurai, Mallow, and Porky)

No Captain Toad either. :facepalm:

But at least it has Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, and Simon Belmont.
Yeah...but I would want some of the Captain of Toads + Toadette

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Dude, don't be an ass ... Samurai Goroh is one of my favourite characters, and there are people who really want another F-Zero, Earthbound and Kid Icarus character. They are all fairly popular, not on the likes of Ridley and K. Rool, but still they get decent amount of support, some more than others of course, but that way of talking is just rude, and no fun for anyone.

Also, Goroh have a LOT OF REASONS to be playable. He got just as much Smash history as Wolf and Ridley, with; One being previously playable, the other a boss/hazard and one Assist Trophy. Goroh is the best pick for another F-Zero. So, shush!

KingBroly

Smash Lord
In the lead-up to Smash 3DS/U, there was a rumor that said Ridley would be playable and he'd go through his Evolutionary stages from Other M. Given the picture provided on this leak, which Source Gaming conveniently ignores when discussing Ridley, I'd have to say either that's what would happen with Ridley in Smash, or Sakurai went Full Troll and did Small, Horrific Game version of Ridley only.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This reminds me of the "East vs. West" rumor for the last Smash game regarding to Takamaru and Little Mac specifically. It's obviously fake, but it fell into the same trap of trying to coax people with popular picks like this rumor while trying to push for some sort of "theme".

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Speaking of F-Zero characters, since I have no idea of what clone they'd do otherwise, it would be great of Blood Falcon graduated from being a skin. Other than Dee and Mimikyu, that might have the best chance among newcomers I'd actually like to see.
Are there any other good clone options from the existing roster?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
ok, since a lot of people doesn't know much about castlevania (understandable considering is a dead franchise by now *profound sadness*) im posting one Castlevania song per day until e3 (where will be either bliss or dread)

And to keep it interesting, i will post only one song per game, which means that i need to get sweet tunes from 19 different games! may i be able to keep up? (you bet i will!)

Lets start with Castlevania on the NES

I can already hear you saying "oh, you are going to post vampire killer, ive already heard that song, its rock version, its techno version and its music box version"...

but guess what, castlevania OST arent one trick ponies, so here I present you "Heart of fire"

What a blood pupming tune considering is the one you hear before fighting death itself.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Goroh is the best pick for another F-Zero. So, shush!
I get that people want another F-Zero and that Goroh makes sense as an F-Zero rep... but it's also weird rolling out the red carpet for a franchise with ostensibly no future, especially taking everything Sakurai's said in the past into account. And it's weird putting the cart before the horse by putting in another F-Zero rep before a new game that makes the franchise relevant. Not trying to be a party pooper, just confused by their inclusions.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Someone needs to take that picture of Simon Belmont from that video and put a fiery Ball of Smash in front of him.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Definitely in favour of unlockables. I’m fact, I’d even be cool with only the original 12 being available from the start, but judging by the people complaining about having to take a couple hours to unlock some clones and vets in Smash 4, I doubt this would ever fly :laugh:

Maybe a free bit of DLC that would unlock all characters/stages? That way tournament organizers/impatient people can get everything at the start while others that enjoy a challenge can still have their unlockables.
What do you think this is, Battlefront II? No way they'd put unlockables behind a paywall like that.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
That heroes vs vilains leak has by far the best roster I've seen, because I love vilains.
And I love making thematics fights with heroes vs vilains.
It was very limited in Smash before.

Unfortunately that leak is obviously fake, because Sakurai and his team have never chosen characters for "side" story or rep reasons.
They just pick whatever character seems interesting gameplay wise, or if he is popular.
I think that's a mistake, but that's just me.

But we also know that story mode in fighting games are a thing now.
So that could change.
In every single story, heroes need vilains to be heroes.
And I don't want BS reasons to have Nintendo heroes fighting each other if there are no vilains out there.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unfortunately that leak is obviously fake, because Sakurai and his team have never chosen characters for "side" story or rep reasons.
*cough*
:ivysaur:
*cough*

I love playing Ivy but wouldn't be in if it weren't for representation.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I love when people criticize rosters for not having characters who have failed to make the cut multiple times or appeared in non playable roles. "No Waluigi, King K. Rool, or Bandanna Waddle Dee?!? Impossible!!"

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Would anyone mind explaining why this imgur “leak” is even being taken into consideration? It’s just a collection of photos. Did some major leaker back it? I’ve been looking through the past few pages but I can’t find any reason to even take this semi-seriously.

Also, I immediately take anything relating to K. Rool with a grain of salt, because I hate having my feelings toyed with. I love the kroc, but until I see him playable with my own eyes, I will never believe that he has a chance, as much as it kills me.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Characterization is an important part of translating a character to Smash, and Sakurai tends to keep characters as true as he can to their games.
You know with a few exceptions such as Ganondorf, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Roy, and Lucina to name a few.

Mostly non-Sm4sh characters suffer from this, as Sm4sh newcomers stand out as some of the best designed characters (sans balance).

...Ganondorf is a warlock that is skilled with a blade, not a brawler. Wario has never fought like a fidgety version of Bo Rai Cho in any of his outings. Samus is supposed to be relatively helpless outside of her suit. Roy... well, Roy just kinda sucks in his own game, but his weapon is incredibly powerful. Lucina, while being a Marth pretender, doesn't actually fight like him. She takes after Chrom's style, which is way more reckless and forceful (though it's implied that Lucina's version is more refined).

What do you think this is, Battlefront II? No way they'd put unlockables behind a paywall like that.
*Shudders*

There were leaks about Battlefront II that were confirmed recently that proclaimed its death. Another one bites the dust.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If Ridley's playable, I feel like Sakurai's going to have this Giant Monkey's Paw involved with it and it'll just be 'well, you wanted to play as Ridley, right?' while we only play as his stupid BS rabbit form from Gremlins.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Medusa would complete the original Kid Icarus Trinity (only problem is that Smash is canon to their series and neither her or Hades can be revived since they’re dead or mostly dead) and the rest I can’t talk about since I barely know them (as in the samurai, Mallow, and Porky)

Yeah...but I would want some of the Captain of Toads + Toadette
Granted it's been 6 years since I played Kid Icarus Uprising... but I don't remember that Smash is canon in Uprising.

And yes, I want Captain Toad, Toad, and Toadette as well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I love when people criticize rosters for not having characters who have failed to make the cut multiple times or appeared in non playable roles. "No Waluigi, King K. Rool, or Bandanna Waddle Dee?!? Impossible!!"
And the equivalent reactions where a particular veteran missing means it's fake (remember Mewtwo in Brawl times?) and having a character who failed before getting in meaning the roster is fake (Duck Hunt, anyone?)

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I'm with you on the first two, but BWD has only cemented his role in Kirby as time went on. It's not like it was now-or-never when he was just a background character in KSSU.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Would anyone mind explaining why this imgur “leak” is even being taken into consideration? It’s just a collection of photos. Did some major leaker back it? I’ve been looking through the past few pages but I can’t find any reason to even take this semi-seriously
It's an age old disease in this community. Everyone has been diagnosed with "Desperate As Hell For Smash Info-itis". People will take whatever they can get at this point.

It'll only get worse as E3 approaches.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
What if you could also unlock special cool alt skins and special colors for the characters?
At this point, there's several costumes I'd pay to get, let alone unlock.
Makna Shulk
Great Lord Lucina
SS, OoT, of the Wild, Fierce Deity BotW Link sets (actually, I think at least the SS costume should be in base game, 'cause they skipped SS in Smash 4)
Shiny Lucario (Why the **** is this not in the game, seriously)
Outset Toon Link
Vanguard Ike
That orange-ish Yoshi from Yoshi's Island
That default Inkling in Splatoon 2's cover (hopefully it's in base game)
Classic Marth

Roberk

Smash Champion
People are putting waaaay too much stock into the Imgur leak. It's just a bunch of pictures that are meant to be crowd-pleasers. Just because it might be your dream roster doesn't mean its real, with this community, it's usually the opposite.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
People are putting waaaay too much stock into the Imgur leak. It's just a bunch of pictures that are meant to be crowd-pleasers. Just because it might be your dream roster doesn't mean its real, with this community, it's usually the opposite.
I'm not sure how many people are 'pleased' by a 3rd Earthbound character, a second F-Zero character, a FOURTH Kid Icarus character and a team Super Mario RPG character. There's several opportunities here for Clones (Takamaru/Samurai Goroh, Medusa) and then the Giant Monkey's Paw waiting to happen that is Ridley.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not saying the leak is real, but other insiders, like Emily Rogers, did say the final roster would make a lot of people happy. Just wanted to point this something out.

I don't really believe in this leak, though, despite how good it sounds.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Granted it's been 6 years since I played Kid Icarus Uprising... but I don't remember that Smash is canon in Uprising.

And yes, I want Captain Toad, Toad, and Toadette as well.
They made it canon with both the Smash references in Uprising and the Palutena Guidance for Dark Pit, being used as an epilogue of sorts to talk about where he flew off to after Hades was defeated (and Pit obviously had some 1v1 time with Palutena...floor ice cream, chicken and veggies for dinner). And Captain Toad with Toadette as an alt is a must have, even though that means normal Toad is strapped onto the stomach of Peach and has little to no air to breath

God, leak talk is getting so boring. Wake me up when someone talks about Yoshi...

:tired:
Yoshi should keep his back fixed in Smash

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom