• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Brawl had the easiest means of unlocking everyone I've ever seen though?

''Here. Just play through story mode. You'll get mostly everyone easily."

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Didn't stop :4ness::4jigglypuff::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4gaw::4wario::4rob::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4darkpit: from not being officially revealed as playable characters before the Japanese release of Smash 4 3DS.
I was more talking about newcomers. But they still hinted at Dark Pit and Game&Watch. And apart from Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt (which they still made sure to make trailers for to hype up for the Wii U version), everyone else save Dr. Mario was a given.

I want to be surprised is all. Even if the roster gets leaked when the game comes out, I still personally want that fun of seeing the full roster for my own.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Brawl and Wii U/3DS both had easy unlockables.

This too will have easy unlockables.

It's 2018. Key things like characters don't get locked like that anymore.
I really don't want to start this argument again, but all I will say is that Sakurai could go either way with unlockables after he considered but decided against leaving everyone on the base roster for Wii U unlocked from the start. Unlockables have been a staple of Smash, but it's understandable if some people don't want to have to put up with it and just have everyone available asap.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If anything, it's probably better off saving some ballot choices as unrevealed unlockable characters in order to somewhat mitigate the inevitable disappointment people will have when the final roster is leaked.

The biggest issue I have with unlockable characters is that not enough newcomer characters are unlockable. I don't see the harm in keeping like 40% of them as secret.

Last edited:
Exactly! Smash Bros is already a children friendly franchise.
I think what the original poster meant by that was that a lot of the kids in the Minecraft community are known for being....... welll...... you know........ kinda........ okay, fine. Toxic. (But that's still not really a good reason to not include Steve)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly the current way of unlocking stuff is lame anyway, play a number of matches or beat classic mode with a certain character or on a certain difficulty. They could easily have more interesting ways of unlocking things that are still easy to do but maybe harder to figure out and find without a guide

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I really don't want to start this argument again, but all I will say is that Sakurai could go either way with unlockables after he considered but decided against leaving everyone on the base roster for Wii U unlocked from the start. Unlockables have been a staple of Smash, but it's understandable if some people don't want to have to put up with it and just have everyone available asap.
I mean to a point the minute the ''Challenger Approaching!" siren and the shadow-y silhouette went mostly away in Brawl and Wii U/3DS that tradition was ruined already. In Brawl if you went through Subspace you knew everyone already.

And in Wii U/3DS they didn't even try to mask the silhouettes, you could pretty much easily guess what character you were about to face. (Granted leaks didn't help there.)

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I like when you have to figth and defeat a fighter to make him join your roster, specially if they give you a thought close fight, it feels so good!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I personally doubt unlockable characters are going away anytime soon not just because of their popularity but also because this isn't a competitive-oriented franchise, which is the only reason why other fighting games have done away with the concept of unlockable characters.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I personally doubt unlockable characters are going away anytime soon not just because of their popularity but also because this isn't a competitive-oriented franchise, which is the only reason why other fighting games have done away with the concept of unlockable characters.
There's a tradition however of Sakurai easing off the concept of the unlockable to the point it's so easy to get everyone? He might as well just shove them all on the select screen from the start.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

True, but it was still a time commitment though. Apart from Marth, it was at least a few hours long to get some of the major unlockable characters like Falco, Snake, ROB, etc. Then the total hell that was the great maze and Tabuu to get Sonic, Jiggz, Toon Link, and Wolf.

Meanwhile the Wii U/3DS games were ridiculous. I remember getting the 3DS game at like 9:30pm and by midnight I got all characters except Duck Hunt (which I got the next morning when I woke up).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That and smash bros invented you have to also defeat the characater to unlock them after the condition

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
My main reason for being against Steve is that I just don't really think he'd fit well in Smash Bros. Plus, there's plenty of other notable and popular 3rd party characters that I feel are better fits for Smash and more deserving. Not to mention, Minecraft isn't a franchise that is synonymous with Nintendo anyways. And either way, regardless of my own feelings on him, there'd be plenty of backlash to his inclusion from most Smash fans.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There's a tradition however of Sakurai easing off the concept of the unlockable to the point it's so easy to get everyone? He might as well just shove them all on the select screen from the start.
That's also an issue I had. I'm not saying characters should be mega hard to unlock, but they should have been a lot more difficult to unlock than they were in Smash 4.

That and smash bros invented you have to also defeat the characater to unlock them after the condition
Good point.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
No offence to steve fans but I just think he's ugly and would look out of place, that blocky pixelated style would just clash with the rest of the cast imo.

That's actually the best way to go about it imo, it's not like SSE was something that was quick to get to, it's certainly better than "play *insert number* of matches"

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't see unlockable characters going away. Not necessarily because it's a tradition, but more because Sakurai likes to keep a few surprises hidden, even if he never actually gets to keep his secrets thanks to the internet these days.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly speaking some characters just naturally are perfect as unlockable characters. For example, a character like King K. Rool would definitely be a good choice for that.

D

Deleted member

True, but it was still a time commitment though. Apart from Marth, it was at least a few hours long to get some of the major unlockable characters like Falco, Snake, ROB, etc. Then the total hell that was the great maze and Tabuu to get Sonic, Jiggz, Toon Link, and Wolf.

Meanwhile the Wii U/3DS games were ridiculous. I remember getting the 3DS game at like 9:30pm and by midnight I got all characters except Duck Hunt (which I got the next morning when I woke up).
Back in my day, unlockable characters took time and effort to unlock.
Even if we wanted to cheese our way with playing a bunch of VS. Matches over and over, we only got them secret fighters every 100 matches! And by gum, we liked it!

Kids these days get their secret fighters practically spoonfed to them, and now some want everyone unlocked from the start now just for turning the game on?
-angery old man grumbling-

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
They avoided having the whole roster leak with the 3DS demo for Smash 4, so I imagine they'll actually do a decent job of removing any unwanted traces, unlike the Aces team.
Did people even datamine the demo? I'm pretty sure by the time the demo came around we already knew everything there was to know from Smash 3DS given the ERSB leak and the early Japanese release.

Because I'm betting we'd find traces of the other characters in it. It's not as simple as just removing the characters data a lot of the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh. It didn't really invent that though. Mortal Kombat kinda has the claim of ''Secret characters that are hidden that you can unlock."
Unless you're talking of later games (which I wouldn't know about for sure), the only secret fighters in the early MKs are the ones you can fight against by doing the steps to encounter them, not any you can unlock and play as.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Unless you're talking of later games (which I wouldn't know about for sure), the only secret fighters in the early MKs are the ones you can fight against by doing the steps to encounter them, not any you can unlock and play as.
I was referring to MK3 and onwards, but even the early secret hidden character is a paving stone for Smash's unlockables.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I understand the importance and appeal of unlockable characters, but I'd rather just boot up the game and start playing with whoever I want tbh. Locking characters away feels like locking gameplay away, I'd rather have more collectibles and cosmetics be the unlockables.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Last night., I put $20 dollars on the line in a bet against my brother on Ridley being revealed at E3.

It’s not even because of the leak or anything, I just have the gut feeling that it’s gonna happen.

And it’s gonna be
BIG.

Also, yeah, about the unlockable characters thing:

I love unlocking characters, I think it’s something that is important to the core of Smash Bros, and I would be disappointed if they took it out. I also hope it’s slightly more challenging than Smash 4, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Last night., I put $20 dollars on the line in a bet my brother on Ridley being revealed at E3.

It’s not even because of the leak or anything, I just have the gut feeling that it’s gonna happen.

And it’s gonna BIG.
What do you think your brother will do with those $20?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As long as unlocking characters is not RNG based like customs and custom items I will probably be fine with it. I just hope they don't make the challenges especially hard...I have yet to beat 9.0 in Smash 4 and that last event for two player.
While I was able to complete Classic on intensity 9.0 in Smash 3DS, being required to do that without losing a single life in Smash Wii U is too much, especially whenever 8-player bouts are inevitable.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I would much rather have unlockable characters, assist trophies/Pokémon, items and stages be as easy as they have been, while anything more minor or not as important (music, normal trophies, customs, money) be earned a somewhat harder way.

And Steve joining Smash before more marektable, iconic, recognizable, and hype 3rd party characters would be a massive oof
Every character besides the original 12 should be unlockable.
If I have to unlock Pit of all people, then I’d have to start a rampage only to start crying in a sad man’s corner

While I was able to complete Classic on intensity 9.0 in Smash 3DS, being required to do that without losing a single life in Smash Wii U is too much, especially whenever 8-player bouts are inevitable.
Did you do it without customs?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I would love that lol.

And the battles to unlock the characters should be against a level 9 CPU, they are way too easy.
Plausible, but there would have to be a "alternatively, unlock by playing this # of vs matches" cause some kiddies might not be able to beat a level 9. And a sad casual crowd makes a sad sakurai.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question about Steve Minecraft, would you want him to look as game accurate as possible or to look like the more mobile characters from Minecraft Story Mode?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Did you do it without customs?
In Smash 3DS, I only completed intensity 9.0 by sticking with the easy routes, along with a defensive customization. Even then, I had to retry multiple times, but at least most of my troubles primarily occurred against Master Core.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Question about Steve Minecraft, would you want him to look as game accurate as possible or to look like the more mobile characters from Minecraft Story Mode?
Game accurate.

I don't want them to sacrufics his visual identity to make him look more "normal" and in line with the other characters.

I think people really overexaggerate how bad it is. There's a ton of animations in Minecraft (even more in mods) showing a lot you can do without having to bend the limbs. Just look at the LEGO movie, lol.

He's going to look weird and different from all the other characters no matter what. I think that's not a downside.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Back in my day, unlockable characters took time and effort to unlock.
Even if we wanted to cheese our way with playing a bunch of VS. Matches over and over, we only got them secret fighters every 100 matches! And by gum, we liked it!

Kids these days get their secret fighters practically spoonfed to them, and now some want everyone unlocked from the start now just for turning the game on?
-angery old man grumbling-
Add that to the list of Cranky Kong assist trophy quotes

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
In Smash 3DS, I only completed intensity 9.0 by sticking with the easy routes, along with a defensive customization. Even then, I had to retry multiple times, but at least most of my troubles primarily occurred against Master Core.
I foolishly went through the harder path with and without customs as Bowser just because I wanted to complete a challenge and gain Bowser Jr at the same time...also because they had trophies I wanted (and Master Core almost made me lose on my first try, which I was not gonna allow for Pimp Daddy :4bowser:)

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
And Steve joining Smash before more marektable, iconic, recognizable, and hype 3rd party characters would be a massive oof
The thing is, there really aren't many other 3rd party characters that are more marketable, iconic, AND recognizable than Steve, whether people know the avatar from Minecraft has a name or not. I would hazard to guess Lara Croft is the only one, only thanks to her movies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Game accurate.

I don't want them to sacrufics his visual identity to make him look more "normal" and in line with the other characters.

I think people really overexaggerate how bad it is. There's a ton of animations in Minecraft (even more in mods) showing a lot you can do without having to bend the limbs. Just look at the LEGO movie, lol.

He's going to look weird and different from all the other characters no matter what. I think that's not a downside.
Personally I'd compromise.

Have his body be more mobile but keep his face as a texture. Steve just doesn't look right when he's given a mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom