• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
People are putting waaaay too much stock into the Imgur leak. It's just a bunch of pictures that are meant to be crowd-pleasers. Just because it might be your dream roster doesn't mean its real, with this community, it's usually the opposite.
You probably alwready know about it, but 2 new leaks appeared on gamefaqs:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76646398

(the guy leak the whole Nintendo show lol)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76647008

That's surprising to see so many leakers so soon, Nintendo does not know how to keep things secret...

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Yoshi should keep his back fixed in Smash
Personally I liked the more animalistic versions of Yoshi and Bowser. Making them more like people felt bad because most of the rest of the roster is already humanoid.

God, leak talk is getting so boring. Wake me up when someone talks about Yoshi...

:tired:
You mentioned a while ago about Yarn Yoshi. Aside from being light and floaty, what would you change to make him distinct from normal Yoshi? Also, are his proportions really that different?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Personally I liked the more animalistic versions of Yoshi and Bowser. Making them more like people felt bad because most of the rest of the roster is already humanoid.

You mentioned a while ago about Yarn Yoshi. Aside from being light and floaty, what would you change to make him distinct from normal Yoshi? Also, are his proportions really that different?
Maybe, but getting into that Wii Fit treatment got them to their fullest potential in Smash

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76646398

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76647008

That's surprising to see so many leakers so soon, Nintendo does not know how to keep things secret...
Arent these reposts of older "leaks" ? the crash and spyro is ancient at this point...

Smartz

Smash Cadet
Look at this point there is so much fuss over who will get in, I’m just trying happy I got to see a dog (who looks a lot like my actual dog who is sitting next to me as I write this lol) and duck get into the game. I flipped my **** in pixels when I saw the duck hunt dog as a trophy, you can only imagine what I was like when I saw the puppy on screen lol.

kylexv

Smash Master
So with all of these probably fake leaks floating around, what would be your ideal way to showcase the new Smash Bros. in about two weeks?

It would be pretty cool if they slowly going through all of the character silhouettes and then showing gameplay of each of them (Mario, Link, etc.) and then the Inklings. Then, a second newcomer could come up behind the Inklings, with some gameplay being shown off for them. Each of these characters that are shown off will then be playable in the demo.

Then, at the Invitational, they drop one last bombshell: a new character to get the crowd super hyped during the event.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Actually I wasn't the one who suggested Yarn Yoshi as a character/alt. I think it was Yoshi-Thomas. But regardless, I can speculate. YY also has miniature transformations when he does actions like turning into a hammer when he ground pounds or propeller for legs when he flutters. I believe that would alter his hitboxes significantly. As for his body proportions, Yarn Yoshi is fatter, has a proportionally bigger head, has a shorter tail and his limbs are stubby. I have his amiibos on my desk right now. Compare Yarn Yoshi to the new "felt or whatever" Yoshi from the upcoming game

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Honestly, if this leak were true, and we ended up with this, then I would not be upset at all. I think I could digg it.

https://imgur.com/a/2TgR5bw
This leak is true because it gives Zelda the middle finger again. /s

The roster, imo, looks sufficiently weird to be true. Goroh is questionable at first, but if the thing about Heroes vs. Villains is true then he makes sense. Isn't he the most iconic F-Zero villain/rival? I know there's Black Shadow, but I've only ever seen him in the anime Falcon Punch meme.
Porky could be super interesting, and he brings Ness and Lucas together, in a way. Snake getting back with Simon also makes a lot of sense.
ICs and Wolf being back plus all the Smash 4 roster alone would make the game for me.

And K.rool... is there a chance he won't have that disgusting disfigured eye?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm with you on the first two, but BWD has only cemented his role in Kirby as time went on. It's not like it was now-or-never when he was just a background character in KSSU.
The point was that nothing has changed to make him more likely this time. Last time his most recent role was a playable character in Kirby and so is it this time. Well, actually, by the time Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch started development, his last role was as a background character who threw food at you. So if anything, he's less likely than last time.

So he's in the same position as Waluigi, in that his position hasn't changed or improved since the last Smash game. Not saying that means he's not gonna happen, but it's so ridiculous that people are so flabbergasted by the idea of Waddle Dee not being a playable character in the next Smash game.

Waddle Dee's one of my favorites, and when I grew up he was a main character in Kirby 64, but I really don't think there's going to be any characters that are variations of an enemy, no matter how significant their role may be. Which is why, unfortunately, I'm not expecting Kamek either.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The point was that nothing has changed to make him more likely this time. Last time his most recent role was a playable character in Kirby and so is it this time. Well, actually, by the time Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch started development, his last role was as a background character who threw food at you. So if anything, he's less likely than last time.

So he's in the same position as Waluigi, in that his position hasn't changed or improved since the last Smash game. Not saying that means he's not gonna happen, but it's so ridiculous that people are so flabbergasted by the idea of Waddle Dee not being a playable character in the next Smash game.

Waddle Dee's one of my favorites, and when I grew up he was a main character in Kirby 64, but I really don't think there's going to be any characters that are variations of an enemy, no matter how significant their role may be. Which is why, unfortunately, I'm not expecting Kamek either.
Except as time has gone on he's been in MORE roles, when smash 4 was in development, he had only been a minor character before being playable in RTDL. By Smash 4 he's got those roles under his belt, as well as being a playable character in Rainbow Paintbrush and a side character in TD and Robobot, plus he's been in a **** ton of merchandise and promotional material.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834

Nintendo does know how to keep a secret, though. These are just fake.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, if this leak were true, and we ended up with this, then I would not be upset at all. I think I could digg it.

https://imgur.com/a/2TgR5bw
This reads too much like a wish list for SSB4. A lot of wishful thinking here.

-Kid Icarus getting a 4th rep when the series has been put on hold until further notice.

-F-Zero has been dead for almost 15 years.

-Mother getting a third rep despite definitively ending 12 years ago.

-Geno AND Mallow as a tag team is improbable for numerous reasons.

-Konami getting two reps with their widespread unpopularity and treatment of Kojima, one of Sakurai's close friends, is a huge stretch.

These are the most glaring things to me.

Last edited:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo does know how to keep a secret, though. These are just fake.
Yea that was sacarstic.
I expect more and more fake leakers the closer we get to E3, to the point you could wonder if those supposed nintendo workers or testers can even keep their mouths shut :laugh:

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If Mii Fighters return, they have to have a greater variety in sizes. It's hard to really get into customizing characters when the tallest you can make them is barely above Mario in height.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This reads too much like a wish list for SSB4. A lot of wishful thinking here.

-Kid Icarus getting a 4th rep when the series has been put on hold until further notice.

-F-Zero has been dead for almost 15 years.

-Mother getting a third rep despite definitively ending 12 years ago.

-Geno AND Mallow as a tag team is improbable for numerous reasons.

-Konami getting two reps with their widespread unpopularity and treatment of Kojima, one of Sakurai's close friends, is a huge stretch.

These are the most glaring things to me.
Though again, that matches pretty well with Emily Rogers' statement of "people will love the roster".

But yeah, I can see Snake not being in for the reason you said. Though if the whole point of this is mostly ballot-based, a lot of it makes sense. Geno and Mallow as a tag team honestly sounds like something nobody actually wants, as people wanted Geno, with a minority in comparison wanting Mallow. Also, the issue isn't Mother getting a 3rd rep so much as Pokey being a spider mech, which sounds fairly unwieldly for Smash.

The other stuff is not nearly as much as a stretch as the key points I said. Especially, again, if the ballot is heavily used for many of these. Though I do think it's fake.

Pakky

Smash Hero

I'm in a weird mental state right now where Sora is more likely than Crash. Its one of those "That's dumb, but it just might be true" sort of deals.

I'm believing the pictionary leak over the Spyro and Crash one.

Though if they do intend to support this game well beyond release then DLC options are super plentiful.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sigh much as I want Crash and Spyro in especially Spyro. Even I know these leaks are probably fake. Got to admit though Jeff Mercer sounds convincing, but definetly fake, the leak. All the best to the guy though. Going to be interesting too see how they show of Smash at E3 looking forward to it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Finally got around to watching Delzethin's prediction videos and I feel like an idiot now for never considering Lycanroc as a new Pokemon rep. I could definitely see it as a curve ball even though I would be more interested in Decidueye, even though I don't see it as much of a shoe-in as people insist. It, Takamaru, and the Ice Climbers have pretty much become the MegaMan, Palutena, and Little Mac of SSB4 in that it seems just about everyone is betting on them at this point.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Finally got around to watching Delzethin's prediction videos and I feel like an idiot now for never considering Lycanroc as a new Pokemon rep. I could definitely see it as a curve ball even though I would be more interested in Decidueye, even though I don't see it as much of a shoe-in as people insist. It, Takamaru, and the Ice Climbers have pretty much become the MegaMan, Palutena, and Little Mac of SSB4 in that it seems just about everyone is betting on them at this point.
Where do I see why Lycanroc is likely if I'm being objectively minded about how is it topping Incenroar or Mimikyu which of whom sits at the top of 7th gen for multiple reasons?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would look into some of the big analyses here to see why Lycanroc has been as more likely than Decidueye:

https://smashboards.com/threads/rat...samus-and-sylux.453357/page-159#post-22059318

ZAHÍRITΣiΚΛ

Unguided Rainbow
Switch FC
SW-7955-8996-6175
I hope that leak is true mainly because I want Captain Toad.

I also want that Simon Belmont leak to be true. Why can't I have both?
I too, hope it's both. Mainly because the Belmont one means no cuts.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I still want me some Crash in Smash...the true Nintendo vs Sony (vs Sega)

Look at this point there is so much fuss over who will get in, I’m just trying happy I got to see a dog (who looks a lot like my actual dog who is sitting next to me as I write this lol) and duck get into the game. I flipped my **** in pixels when I saw the duck hunt dog as a trophy, you can only imagine what I was like when I saw the puppy on screen lol.
Speaking of dogs...they better not take out the Nintendogs music and Living Room (they’ll probably change the dog that appears as an assist trophy). Only way I’d 10% accept the stage being gone is if they put the music with the Duck Hunt stage or leave it with Wii Fit Trainer’s stage)

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I love how people are riding the Ridley/Belmont train in these rumors just like what happened with the Chorus Kids back in SSB4 because of Gematsu

It's either that, or the Crash/Spyro one because of that leak that already was proven fake anyway

(actually I hate it since it gives me false hope about Ridley getting in ;-; )

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I refuse to believe that Sora is more likely that Crash or Spyro tbh. I feel like Sakurai would probably die trying to negotiate with Disney to license him out to Sora.

I know its fake, but I'm willing to give the second leak the benefit of the doubt because he basically said Snake won't be in.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Where do I see why Lycanroc is likely if I'm being objectively minded about how is it topping Incenroar or Mimikyu which of whom sits at the top of 7th seven for multiple reasons?
Some of the bigger arguments I've seen for Lycanroc:

-One of Ash's current key Pokemon in the anime.

-Was given a special form, just like Greninja. Notably one of the only non legendaries in 7th gen with a special form.

-A signature rock type is definitely a lot rarer than signature grass/fire/water types and this probably won't happen again in the series for awhile.

-Like Lucario and Jigglypuff, kind of set aside and made special probably because of popularity.

Again, I'm not really rooting for them but I'll no longer be totally surprised if it does happen.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Not sure how to feel about these leaks myself. Usually, the leaks say we are getting certain characters, sometimes to make it so it would please many, and in the end, the final roster is someone unexpected, like Robin, Lucina, the Duck Hunt Duo or Bowser Jr. in the base roster of Smash 4 or Corrin, Bayonetta, Ryu and Cloud as DLC in the same game. There must be at least one surprise character that will be announced that the leaks don't predict, don't you think?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I love how people are riding the Ridley/Belmont train in these rumors just like what happened with the Chorus Kids back in SSB4 because of Gematsu

It's either that, or the Crash/Spyro one because of that leak that already was proven fake anyway

(actually I hate it since it gives me false hope about Ridley getting in ;-; )
Dont worry im personally keeping my skepticism and taking advantage of the hype wave while it lasts to promote my 2 dream characters since friggin brawl.

Still, who knows, maybe one of this guys ends being the "Shulk" of the Gematsu leak :p

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hey I had a thought these days that like it's obviously not happening but I'm bringing it as a "what if"/"how cool would it be"
Do y'all remember in E3 2015, Nintendo linked some game announcements in their presentation with Mario Maker gameplay snippets? Like when they were about to show Zelda games, a little sequence of Mario getting a Mystery Mushroom to transform into Link was shown. The same thing happened when they were going to show Fire Emblem (Marth) and Animal Crossing (Isabelle)

Seeing how Mario Maker was the main game of that E3, and Smash is this game this time around, how cool would it be that, sparsed along their presentation, some little 15-second videos were shown announcing Smash characters related to the game that's being shown next? (like Ridley for Metroid Prime 4, Celica/Lyn/FE18 for Fire Emblem, MImikyu/Decidueye/Lycanroc/Eevee for Pokémon, etc), maybe some veterans could be shown instead

idk that's most likely never happening but the thought of it is a really cool idea to me

Dont worry im personally keeping my skepticism and taking advantage of the hype wave while it lasts to promote my 2 dream characters since friggin brawl.

Still, who knows, maybe one of this guys ends being the "Shulk" of the Gematsu leak :p
oh I was more talking about the rumor makers themselves, not the people hyped for them hehe

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Please do not change the words to avoid the censors. Just let it happen normally.
I refuse to believe that Sora is more likely that Crash or Spyro tbh. I feel like Sakurai would probably die trying to negotiate with Disney to license him out to Sora.
I shall refuse with you (for both Crash/Spyro joining before Sora, and for that Caulifla pic)

Seeing how Mario Maker was the main game of that E3, and Smash is this game this time around, how cool would it be that, sparsed along their presentation, some little 15-second videos were shown announcing Smash characters related to the game that's being shown next? (like Ridley for Metroid Prime 4, Celica/Lyn/FE18 for Fire Emblem, MImikyu/Decidueye/Lycanroc/Eevee for Pokémon, etc), maybe some veterans could be shown instead
You’re a ****ing genius

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Ganondorf has taught us anything, villains don't get in just because they are villains.
Ganondorf is not just a villain, but he's also one of the best video game villains in existence. In fact, one could argue that Ganondorf is THE best Nintendo villain, since he's actually accomplished an ambition that Bowser could never pull off, and not once has he ever been portrayed as an anti-hero.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ganondorf is not just a villain, but he's also one of the best video game villains in existence. In fact, one could argue that Ganondorf is THE best Nintendo villain, since he's actually accomplished an ambition that Bowser could never pull off, and not once has he ever been portrayed as an anti-hero.
Even though all of this is true...Ganondorf doesn’t Pimp out and flex on his enemies like Bowser does

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do y'all remember in E3 2015, Nintendo linked some game announcements in their presentation with Mario Maker gameplay snippets? Like when they were about to show Zelda games, a little sequence of Mario getting a Mystery Mushroom to transform into Link was shown. The same thing happened when they were going to show Fire Emblem (Marth) and Animal Crossing (Isabelle)

idk that's most likely never happening but the thought of it is a really cool idea to me
This actually would be cool as hell, to be honest.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I've always grown to take any and all leaks, no matter how believable they may seem, with a grain of salt. They could happen, they also could not happen. Which is why I usually don't tend to read too much into them, or place bets based on them.

Felt this way when Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was leaked, feeling this way again.
Pretty sure he was talking about Ganondorf being added to Melee as a last-second clone of Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Though the point is him being a villain wasn't why he got in. He got in because he was an easy clone to make while not removing the essence of his character(being powerful and evil). Ganondorf wasn't even really considered outside of that.

Though him having a villain role and having a more evil design in Brawl and 4(though not so much a villain role, but still kept his evil design).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom