• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

VA

Smash Hero
I'm actually really glad you wrote this because even though you are a Brawler or whatever it reflects the exact attitude problem that I see wrong with London smash. The 2 pound argument is a prime example of why people are deterred from even coming on boards. I'm the first to admit that I am a huge boards *****, I can't stop myself from looking at it even when I don't want to. Since the London scene has begun to flourish I dread coming onto the forums and reading these ridiculous arguments about brawl, who is better (based on no actual evidence, potentially having not played the person for a year or one recent performance of theirs) and inane things about crews (which have no relevance in the UK anyway).

The London environment is indeed hostile to people outside and whether or not you can see it, this is how a majority of players on the outside feel. I feel that a lot of our oldest community members are gone now and the skill is dwindling, London is basically a large group of people and all their friends. The UK used to be a group of people who shared a common interest and maybe a few of their friends.

I don't know what the answer is, it would be good if Kone were to show up right now because he'd have some kind of solution. I've said it before but I'm not interested in hosting or helping the community, I'm entirely self interested (besides Swizzy and Beast) and we need someone outside of London to start up the UK scene again.

Brawlers need to collaborate with Melee(ers), we need to see solidarity within our community and far far far less petty ****ing squabbles on who is the best. For me I don't even want to be the best in the UK, that title means nothing to me as I already consider myself capable of it, just unable to play well in tournament. I barely talk about my skill because clearly I'm so arrogant already that I don't need to.

I want baords to be fun again :(

Gantz ak-47

Smash Journeyman
Well lets see if I can straighten this up.

Due to everyone outside of london not having many people to play/ being of a generally lower skill level, we naturally want to try the london challenge to see how we do.

Everythings fine thus far. See now in recent times, when anyone has posted in this thread who HASN'T been from london, they have either been flat out ignored, told that they will get ***** because their region sucks, or told that they have "no opinion" or aren't welcome because they play brawl. Prof saying otherwise is either delusional, blind, or lying.

The north has a more laid back attitude to smash, it's just a game to us. Sure we trash talk and such, but not to the extent of saying "you're not a man unless you bet a whole ****ing tenner" or "You and your crew have no faith in each other as people" (to name but a few). The few of us up here who genuinely want to improve to the extent of traveling to your scene will do so, but I can count those people on both my hands, if not one.

See this alone is bad enough, but we have the feeling that if any of us were to go to london to play EITHER smash game for improvement (because we certainly won't come for the community), we obviously wouldn't be placing top 3 for bragging rights... which is pretty much all we want to play for. The only reason most of us particularly want to travel down there is because a select few londerners talking down to every other region, saying you're on another level and that we would be ***** if we visited you. Whilst this may be true, it's also blatantly obvious that if we DID try coming to your tournaments and placed poorly, we would never hear the end of it (once again from a select few individuals dragging down the tone).

On another note, will you children stop discriminating people for a reason as petty as what game they chose to play? Thats worse than ****ing racism, showing yourself to be smallminded and in no small way ignorant. How would you react if everyone constantly responded to every post you typed saying "You have no opinion, you're black". If you can't see the comparison, I have absolutely no time for you. Actually on that note, I can see this entire post being disregarded as a "lol brawler" thing, I can see why you get frustrated VA.

I'd like to point out though, what I saw here in no way reflects on the entire london community. It's the handful of people who take their game so seriously as to personally attack people who play a different version of the same franchise, or take their own superiority complex to such an extent as to have a 5 page argument about the difference of TWO ****ING POUNDS.

I'm not expecting anything from this post. This is more just explaining our thoughts. I'm certain this will be flamed to ****, but we're past caring right now, because borderline every post in this thread for the past 30 pages has been flamed. Oh and I had a word with Fuzzy about this the other night, and he brought up the point that northerners seem lazy about smash. On the whole I agree whoelheartedly, but bear in mind we (on the whole) don't take the games as seriously as seems to happen here.

Feel free to divulge your thoughts. I'd appreciate it if your arguments were constructive and polite, but that's probably asking too much =]
i agree with the post. but its not just prof that trash talks. he only does it based on reation. we all know the problems of the smash comunity. maybe its time to make a change.

VA

Smash Hero
It shouldn't be aimed just at prof or even anyone, it doesn't need to be people named and shamed. All we need is some awareness of behaviour on the forums.

The Filth

Smash Lord
I realise it's not just prof, but he's by far the most prolific. There are quite a few others of course.

Also just for the record, I play all 3 smash games, not just brawl :/

VA

Smash Hero
It doesn't even matter what you play is what I was trying to say.

And yeah it's not like I've never argued with prof.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I realise it's not just prof, but he's by far the most prolific. There are quite a few others of course.

Also just for the record, I play all 3 smash games, not just brawl :/
Can I just say- DO NOT GENERALISE. Don't imply that because you think London has been abusive that all people in the South are like that. I for one welcome anybody starting new scenes and playing smash. I don't know who's been insulting you so much but whoever it is, they are just being a prick and need to grow up.

I'm just gonna say here that I'm proud to be a melee player that doesn't ***** about brawl every time it's mentioned and I also like playing brawl a lot.

The Filth

Smash Lord
Can I just say- DO NOT GENERALISE. Don't imply that because you think London has been abusive that all people in the South are like that. I for one welcome anybody starting new scenes and playing smash. I don't know who's been insulting you so much but whoever it is, they are just being a prick and need to grow up.

I'm just gonna say here that I'm proud to be a melee player that doesn't ***** about brawl every time it's mentioned and I also like playing brawl a lot.
I did note in my original large post that I don't believe these individuals represent the entire of the london community, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough.

Nothing annoys me more than generalisation, If it came across that way, nothing was further from my intentions.

Thanks for saying that by the way. It'd be odd if everyone suddenly started saying the same out of the blue, but Iget the impression many people would be more than happy if the ones who didn't think as you did just kept their opinion to themselves =]

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
While I can't speak for the NW brawl community, the NW melee community is actually pretty serious about improving, they just don't look like it.
There are two main reasons NW players don't attent London events so frequently:
1) Money - alot of smash players here are students, and student life for a smash player isn't all about smash.
2) Housing - Excluding Charles and TC, London players seem reluctant to house out of London players, and it isn't fair for those two to be solely responsible for housing.
I think the cause of most of these arguements is simply a matter of pride/ego.

Gantz ak-47

Smash Journeyman

well said bill:) but im still gonna destroy you.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Seems j3ly can house as well andy, so that's a third to add to the list. Still pretty ridiculous for our huge community though.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
yer, I havnt played against gantz since like june lol. so il be looking forward playing against him at J3lys, btw, If I do go to work, il come at about 12am ish , if nt then il be at J3lys at 5.

VA

Smash Hero
Can me and a friend come to J3lys' on friday night?

It's different for everyone, offense etc. No one I've spoken to is likely to post about what they think tbh.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
well said bill:) but im still gonna destroy you.
and I'll destroy you more :)

Edit-- After reading more of what Dooan said I find myself agreeing with more of it (although just note that this is barely North/south as London/not London). The brawl and melee thing is by now incredibly pathetic and I do not understand why people do it. My guess is melee players trying to feel superior to brawl players which actually makes them look pretty pathetic for many many reasons. Brawl has a good competitive scene now and it's time (some) melee players at least respected this. One example is Joe. He hates brawl (like a fair few melee players) and doesn't play it, but in the NW monthlies he makes an effort to get a good brawl turnout just like melee cos the scene deserves it.

MORE NICENESS IMO!!!!!!!!!!!! One example is Mr Pro at a previous London ranbat. After I played to him at London and lost, he helped point out what I wasn't doing or what bad habbits I was falling into. Whatever happened to that? This is the way forward imo that way we can ALL improve and maybe the UK will even come up to European standards.

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
Prof - All this bull**** being said by ****ty players.

I just swooped past all of it cos it was WAYYYYY to boring to read.

As Frozenwave said if a community is said enough to get be messed up by a community that isn't theres that is some very weak community.

Dooan you're a ***** from what I heard so I just lol at you.

VA you can keep crying about London blah blah blah.

Anyway funny how London is the strongest scene yet it is the center of trashtalk, wonder why our scene isn't being destroyed :confused:

VA how are you the 3rd best when you admitted that Zeppo was better then you and I know I am better then you and same with Fuzzyness lol.
And Jo3 pretty much confirmed that when I played him 2day.
Get ***** everyone.

Edit - Get ***** even harder on saturday everyone.

VA

Smash Hero
yeah cool go ahead prove my point prof. whatevsss just wait until the community dies and it's just prof and noobs. COOL!

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
Prof - Due to my name and many implications about me being brought up in this thread I have been singled out which has further motivated to cause trouble and spoil the scene as that's what London does....they spoil the UK community and scene.

VA - lol Yeah I can't wait till that day, I am going to be greatly upset and realize that there is going to be no-one in the community to play as people are being severly affected by trashtalks and ranking list are making people quit when they are not present on them lol.

I thought you said Zeppo is better then you so how are you 3rd btw?

Gantz ak-47

Smash Journeyman
maybe you should contribute to the community VA. playin your crew and helping them get better is all well and good, but it doesn't make much sense in the long run.

sorry for spelling mistakes.

ps: marth is gay and fighting jiggs is boring.

VA

Smash Hero
Zeppo doesn't play anymore for some reason...so who cares!

What could I possibly do from Brighton that isn't done in Southampton/London already. The north is discouraged as **** from coming down here at the moment...for some reason....

Gantz ak-47

Smash Journeyman
maybe in courage more smash players where you are. i dont mean to be rude but it is very easy to convert brawl players. me and last dragon converted a brawl player from hear and now he has alot of potentail to become a good captain falcon. plus most of the are crew where in havent even played for even a year yet. just some advice dont take it the wrong way.

ps: IM BETTER THAN BULLET BILL . AND HE KNOWS IT.......*****. i might change my name again to madman

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
Dat real talk ^^^^

Don't forget you Chrisboi, you are also better.

If You, Edwin, Frostbyte come I guarantee VA getting joint 5th.

Prof said this to me over the phone and we all know how is predictions are correct so I am stating it now......JOINT 5TH FOR VA!!!

Tamoo

Smash Master
Prove 'em wrong VA, Im atleast confident in you getting top 3 man.

And im loving Gantz's little afterthought on every post lool

And who's told you Dooan's a *****? I think everyone's whos ever met him can account for what a hilarious guy he is.

king_NDj247

Smash Ace
so who is going 2 this 1 n i wld like a large nicely posted list n the main reason i dnt post often is coz im busy n i do this just b4 i go 2 sleep or when im not readin up on uni work thats right i wanna pass uni n get a nice BSc =] 2.1 or 1st

Gantz ak-47

Smash Journeyman
i've got good news and bad news guys.
the good news is im gonna be a uncle.
the bad news is im gonna be a uncle on the day of the rambat so i cant make it sorry.

Tamoo

Smash Master
aaah thats nice gantz, shame bout the ranbat tho...

can we still count on seeing you tomorrow? Im gonna be quite late tho so dunno if your planning on staying long if you do come

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
NOOOO HE CAN'T LOL.
IT'S MEANT TO BE A SOUTH LONDON THING AND ALL OF THEM PEOPLE FROM THE 'ROUND THE JAV'S AND YOUR HOUSE' DAYS loool.
I was joking

OOC already has many good smashers and it wont be a challenge to beat other crews if you have more people lol. so id rather be in a smaller crew so its more of a challenge. Is anyone up for a crew battle? just want to see how good Tescos crew are lol
I was joking

J03

Smash Master
hey just got back in, at 2 am. firstly id like to thank the truck that jacknived right in front of us for the 3 hour delay!

In the last month ive played VA, Pro and Charles so im going to post my thoughts (DDDEEEEEEEPPPP thoughts) and basically forecast the results ahead of the monthly for hype and flame war.

Ill do it tomoz coz im trashed atm. I WILL say this, VA IS top 3 easily, anyone who says otherwise is actually just wrong.

Top Bottom