• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

gm jack

Smash Lord
I would **** people at it if I was to contribute my time to it lol.
Wouldn't this stand for most games? If I was prepared to spend some good time studying, practising ATs and getting some experience for melee, you would get better?

You're a very good smash player, so of course you will do better than the majority from your decision making skills. However, if anyone put a similar amount of effort into melee from Brawl, surely it wouldn't be too long until they start placing similarly to where they did in brawl, provided they get good practice?

Blazin!

Smash Apprentice
brawl to melee =culture shock , like putting weights on

melee to brawl= like taking weights off..

lol

gm jack

Smash Lord
I know. I was just making the point that saying a game is easy, and then saying you'd have to practise makes no sense. I think melee does require far more consistent use of AT's, but I prefer brawl as I find it more tactical and enjoy maining one of the few characters with plenty of true combos. Tis more funny to combo people when they aren't use to it.

Just my opinions.

Kone

Smash Master
Uhm, melee gives you more tools to be more tactical than brawl. Stringing comboes in melee isnt pre defined and takes a lot of skill/reading of your opponent. What you said about comboing in brawl surely translates to melee a lot more? in that, you would find the game more enjoyable once you've picked it up for a while?

I think you are right in suggesting those that do well in brawl could with practice do well in melee. I think brawl is a lazee persons game.

Willz how can you even practice brawl =s theres no need at all.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
All I'm saying is I don't see why you care so much about beating me if I'm so bad.
I am simply telling you that my student (Last Dragon) will destroy you and plus according to your post in the SHS1 you think you stand a chance against....meeee :laugh::laugh:lol:bee::laugh:!!! So all these posts just show you that you will never beat me, why do you care so much about me to reply???

Still make sure you come, London is the best so don't be too suprized by the level of ****!

Wouldn't this stand for most games? If I was prepared to spend some good time studying, practising ATs and getting some experience for melee, you would get better?
Yeah but I thought implication was clear that it would take little effort in comparison to most other players for me to get really good at brawl if I wanted to.

VA

Smash Hero
I just respond to your **** talk which I shouldn't do. also ok cool if you think last dragon can beat me, I don't care!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You don't care....loool.
Yes you do, the fear strikes your body at the thought of a newcomer coming along and destroying you, just embrace the chance that he will defeat you and learn since he can teach you a lot.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Uhm, melee gives you more tools to be more tactical than brawl. Stringing comboes in melee isnt pre defined and takes a lot of skill/reading of your opponent. What you said about comboing in brawl surely translates to melee a lot more? in that, you would find the game more enjoyable once you've picked it up for a while?

I think you are right in suggesting those that do well in brawl could with practice do well in melee. I think brawl is a lazee persons game.

Willz how can you even practice brawl =s theres no need at all.
That's why I don't practice anymore. What's the point lol.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Yeah but I thought implication was clear that it would take little effort in comparison to most other players for me to get really good at brawl if I wanted to.
In all fairness, I suspect you will get good at most fighting games much quicker than most.

Kone said:

Because melee is so combo orientated, I tend to get a bit bored watching it. Probe for an opening, and then combo to insane percent/death. I know it isn't quite that, but I guess I am not fond of going from 30% to dead in a few seconds from a single error.

As for brawl being a lazy person's game, I will agree a bit with that. I only get to play other decent players once a month at these events. All I can do at home is WiFi (not great) and practice DACUSing and SHFF aerial approaches. The rest I can learn to a degree from reading and watching. Not as well as playing people, but the one person I used to play (my brother) got put off when he would go Ganon vs Sheik and be complain when I Ftilt lock him for 50% a go. I wouldn't have anyone to play against in melee, and as the CPUs have horrible DI, I would get destroyed by people.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
brawl is more tactical imo, def a lot more thinking to do. But seriously enough brawl moaning! lol. If you don't like it don't play it- easy.
loool Ben....how is brawl more tactical and you need to think more in it.
Your melee mindset must be INCREDIBLY weak if that's the case.
Do you know how much you have to think in melee when the pressure is put on you.

what u on about ben
Only he knows.

Because melee is so combo orientated, I tend to get a bit bored watching it. Probe for an opening, and then combo to insane percent/death. I know it isn't quite that, but I guess I am not fond of going from 30% to dead in a few seconds from a single error.
Melee combos aren't to that much of an insane percent, HIGHEST on average will be about 130-140%...you survive till higher percents on brawl on average.
The 0-death on melee are amazing and how you can incorporate combos on platforms which I don't see happen in brawl.
But in the end of the day if you prefer not really much I can say about that.
Melee you are more likely to get punished for a single error like not sweetspotting the edge (lol brawl auto sweetspot) but that just forces people to become the best player they can and play with the least errors possible.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
This is my opinion for brawl.
as they have fixed most of the glitches from melee it limits you to your technical skills which can limit the playing style of each person alot.
In a way it is more based on mindgames in brawl but since alot of the moves or ATs are limited , it also limits the mindgames as you have less options to react or move around.

I think if most brawl players are as good as they play in brawl with melee, they would prefer melee. (like if they can use AT efficiently etcetcetc.)

I wouldn't have anyone to play against in melee, and as the CPUs have horrible DI, I would get destroyed by people.
I dont play against many humans in melee, but i practice so much against CPUs, you can get more technical and faster if you play against CPUs alot but i really should play against more humans for mindgames.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
This is my opinion for brawl.
as they have fixed most of the glitches from melee it limits you to your technical skills which can limit the playing style of each person alot.
In a way it is more based on mindgames in brawl but since alot of the moves or ATs are limited , it also limits the mindgames as you have less options to react or move around.

I think if most brawl players are as good as they play in brawl with melee, they would prefer melee. (like if they can use AT efficiently etcetcetc.)
I agree.
Brawl could require 90% mindgames and 10% tech skill and melee could require 20%mindgames and 80% tech skill but just because the demand for mindgames in brawl is higher doesn't mean that brawl has more mindgames in it, it just requires more mindgames since the tech skill is limited but melee tech skill allows the options for mindgames zoom way passed brawls.
(The percentage doesn't FULLY make sense but you gt the overall point of it lol)
Which technically means you have to think WAYYY more in melee then you do in brawl.

If you like playing a game which is more reliant on camping and hit here and hit there attacks, then brawl is your game lol.

If you like playing a game with fast speed, pushes your fingers to the limits, full of combos which take high skill to pull off, then melee is your game.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I dont play against many humans in melee, but i practice so much against CPUs, you can get more technical and faster if you play against CPUs alot but i really should play against more humans for mindgames.
That is true, you are really technical but your combo ability isn't too amazing due to you playing too much computers and not being used to people DI'ing falcos combos fully.
Playing against humans who have all the good basics down is essential if you want to improve in terms of combos and with alot of things in general.

Blazin!

Smash Apprentice
oh and what time should i actually get to the place?

Some people telling me 1:30, some people telling me 2:00 some people telling me 3:30.

Whats the latest i can arrive? Cause i need to pick up a friend from gants hill in teh merc (h)

oh and how far is gants hill from the place?

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
oh and what time should i actually get to the place?

Some people telling me 1:30, some people telling me 2:00 some people telling me 3:30.

Whats the latest i can arrive? Cause i need to pick up a friend from gants hill in teh merc (h)

oh and how far is gants hill from the place?
gants hill is the tube station you need to get to, people are meeting there at 1ish.
the actual place you need to go is tiptree communal hall or something like that. its around 10 minutes bus ride from gants hill station, get the 128 bus. if you get to gants hill stattion at bout 1ish, there should be quite alot of smashers waiting for others. thne you can catch the bus with them,

Blazin!

Smash Apprentice
gants hill is the tube station you need to get to, people are meeting there at 1ish.
the actual place you need to go is tiptree communal hall or something like that. its around 10 minutes bus ride from gants hill station, get the 128 bus. if you get to gants hill stattion at bout 1ish, there should be quite alot of smashers waiting for others. thne you can catch the bus with them,
Okay thanks, it's just my dads takin' me and my bro and ima pick my friend up from there..thanks for your help.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Every little thing you type, we got people watching man

and you're percent thing makes full sense, and is **** true at that

And my crew will be arriving at gants hill at 1, see you guys there i guess

Sanu

Smash Champion
Ahahaha, if this is the event Fuzzyness mentioned I'm so down to go to the next one when I come to visit. So much trash talk, I LOVE IT! The Toronto, Canada scene is nothing like this; everyone is loveydovey and super friendly.

****'s going down, can't wait to see the results so I know who I have to beat =P. PAL can take away my spike, but they can't take away my mindgames! <____<

Calzorz

Smash Lord
cant make this one sorry i will be in london on the 4th tho geting housed by kira until tsl xD , after tsl i think il pick up melee, provide the **** kira

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
Ahahaha, if this is the event Fuzzyness mentioned I'm so down to go to the next one when I come to visit. So much trash talk, I LOVE IT! The Toronto, Canada scene is nothing like this; everyone is loveydovey and super friendly
last time there was about 50 people i think more people should be coming to the 29th one.
yer quite alot of people out of london come to this event aswel

Tamoo

Smash Master
If you're talking bout falco, you're pretty misinformed, only marth's spike is now a meteor, falco's still spikes, but the latter stages of the move hits opponents sideways.

But yeah, will be great to see foreigners down here, best we get is the odd person from up north lol

maybe having a fellow canadian will give VA the incentive to stop making excuses to come to these and finally put rest this prof VA debate :p

Blazin!

Smash Apprentice
Im bringing my SD card so anyone who wants matches recorded come find me, il save it to my card then record and upload when i get home.

Sanu

Smash Champion
maybe having a fellow canadian will give VA the incentive to stop making excuses to come to these and finally put rest this prof VA debate :p
He better damn well should!! I wanna **** him :laugh:

Sanu

Smash Champion
I haven't met him personally but we've chatted before through SWF, haha ;P

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Ahahaha, if this is the event Fuzzyness mentioned I'm so down to go to the next one when I come to visit. So much trash talk, I LOVE IT! The Toronto, Canada scene is nothing like this; everyone is loveydovey and super friendly.
We play no games here, we verbally take down our opponents and then take them down in smash to make them feel lower then we already did before.

It's not a debate.
Usually in a debate the opponent as something to offer, he has nothing. It is just annihilation with style

He better damn well should!! I wanna **** him :laugh:
Have any vidoes of you on youtube, don't expect to come down here and **** everyone though lol, you can **** VA since he isn't a threat to many in the UK (prob like 20-25th place in the UK) but take on the best of us and the result is different.

make sure you guys get there for 1:30pm, no later!
Even though I am coming to this I have very little drive to do so lol.
I'm not guaranteeing my arrival for this event lol.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
lol Once again Ben is being a silly human.

Just because some of us don't like brawl doesn't mean we can't put up a valid reason to argue against the point as if you read it we CLEARLY made points which were didn't include any uneeded brawl hatred and were correct with backing up our points.
But obviously you gave up at the sight of reading it cos a part of you (the stubborn part) is not able to admit you were wrong and we are right. Even brawlers agree with our statements, you prob would have if someone said it to you earlier but now you have already made your point you want to stick by it lool.

I think your WEAKNESS in melee blinds you from the truth, maybe if you were as strong as us in MELEE you would understand but you aren't and apparently never will be.

Ben you are just a whiny baby, and sorry but you're a prick who is wrong in the majortiy of his statements, I am just happy I am the type of prick who is always right lol. Maybe you can advance to my level soon.

VA

Smash Hero
stop with these kind of comments! they are just pointless and negative. boards just becomes clogged with useless crap...I don't see the point :(

Top Bottom