• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash to the Future on hiatus for the summer!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Replace "where he should have been afraid" with "where most other top players would have been afraid" and you've got yourself a good point.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Not necessarily. There were plenty of times where PP went to do something and Javi just completely disrespected PP's threat, blindly. He didn't do it so much as to punish something on prediction but rather because he didn't know better.

Tink

Smash Hero
roflll...kages not better then most of the MW(sorry kage :p )....he got 2nd, yes, but he got there because you suck -_- and dart choked to him(choke artist's sonn)...

on top of that, kage gets top 5 at nationals anyway 0_o....not that bad to be compared to kage in the first place heh.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Not necessarily. There were plenty of times where PP went to do something and Javi just completely disrespected PP's threat, blindly. He didn't do it so much as to punish something on prediction but rather because he didn't know better.
Ugh.... See, you don't seem to understand how important it is from a match psychology perspective to not let your opponent feel comfortable. Even if what they're doing is a good option in theory, not respecting it causes confusion and doubt in the opponent's mind, and leaves you with an advantage because you've moved the opponent out of their comfort zone. I've seen it too much in fighting games with top players against up-and-comers, and it should take nothing away from the upset and how much they earned it.

roflll...kages not better then most of the MW(sorry kage :p )....he got 2nd, yes, but he got there because you suck -_- and dart choked to him(choke artist's sonn)...

on top of that, kage gets top 5 at nationals anyway 0_o....not that bad to be compared to kage in the first place heh.
I'm sorry, but straight up, the choke-artist argument is just an excuse. It doesn't matter what you can do on paper if you can't perform when it counts, plain and simple, so that does not excuse the Midwest for under-performing.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Ugh.... See, you don't seem to understand how important it is from a match psychology perspective to not let your opponent feel comfortable. Even if what they're doing is a good option in theory, not respecting it causes confusion and doubt in the opponent's mind, and leaves you with an advantage because you've moved the opponent out of their comfort zone. I've seen it too much in fighting games with top players against up-and-comers, and it should take nothing away from the upset and how much they earned it.
Not that he didn't earn it, but his inexperience actually helped him as PP expected him to understand certain (smart) things and Javi didn't. Imo if javi didn't get that sick combo game 2, it would have gone to game 3 and PP would have 2 or 3 stocked him regardless of stage.

Tink

Smash Hero
fro, id take your comments more into consideration if you actually were around the game still 0_o(call out).

ppl that are more skillfull choke to ppl that are worse then them all the time...its a fact, go look it up. weve just been talking about the example here and now and its not a mw player....its pp vs javi....pp is alot more skilled then javi 0_o// thatsa fact

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
hahaah this is getting JUICYYYYYY

i just rewatched set

looked legit for Javi mah friends. he played unconventional, but he did some **** new stuff that was all his own

however jab upsmash not legit

Tink

Smash Hero
lolll...le talking like this was 2 years ago....MW has vastly improved since you came here...wc pros fear kels a little....0_0...thats good.

id just like to say that in 6ish months we may be able to test this theory 0_o......but we will see if that works out =))).

john!

Smash Hero
the johns are strong in this thread

pp is alot more skilled then javi 0_o// thatsa fact
how can you say something like this with such certainty?

javi beat pp decisively. what evidence do you have that pp is better than javi?

Not that he didn't earn it, but his inexperience actually helped him as PP expected him to understand certain (smart) things and Javi didn't. Imo if javi didn't get that sick combo game 2, it would have gone to game 3 and PP would have 2 or 3 stocked him regardless of stage.
posts like this are why theorycrafters irritate me

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
the johns are strong in this thread

how can you say something like this with such certainty?

javi beat pp decisively. what evidence do you have that pp is better than javi?

posts like this are why theorycrafters irritate me
B/c Tink is narrow minded and is old school, so he is right.

Tink

Smash Hero
how can you not? hes got way more accomplishments across the board. lets not get ahead of ourselves here yet....if javi comes to the next few nationals and proves it again and again, ill put my hat into his favor....but pp has proven again and again hes one of the best players in the world. he may just be the next axe....amazing player that got really high one(or a couple?) time, but has had trouble making it back.

john!

Smash Hero
hmm that might be true for up-and-coming players who have been going to US tourneys for years and just recently taken out a top player (maybe by luck)

but nobody even had any idea how good javi was until apex. none of the top players had faced him.

at the very least, i think it's reasonable to say that javi MIGHT be better than pp

but saying that pp is DEFINITELY a LOT more skilled than javi (when he is 0-1 against him) just doesn't make sense

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
@John: Looking at the interactions between the players gives a lot more information than saying who won or lost.

_marth1_

Smash Lord
i think javi is very mangoish in his playstyle...but which i mean he watches the opponent and reacts accordingly

and he uses that weird claw grip which suits this style well because he can react much faster than most people can

i still think that pp is probably better by a little bit but i think javi would at least go even with pp because he knows the falco matchup too well

this is matt

Scythe

Smash Master
nah sometimes **** happens but i don't think that was the case for pp/javi

would like to see javi at another national

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Because hbox doesn't break out his ness yet and armada is too successful in the MU to change characters.

'Fro

Smash Lord
fro, id take your comments more into consideration if you actually were around the game still 0_o(call out).

ppl that are more skillfull choke to ppl that are worse then them all the time...its a fact, go look it up. weve just been talking about the example here and now and its not a mw player....its pp vs javi....pp is alot more skilled then javi 0_o// thatsa fact
I respect your opinion but my lack of travel to Melee tourneys doesn't prevent me from offering a viewpoint on this topic. I feel that people are, as usual, taking too much from one tournament victory, whether for PP or Javi.

I'll give an example from Street Fighter. Poongko beat Daigo (yes, THAT Daigo) at Evo, finishing him with a perfect. Guess what? Daigo got him back in a first to 10 set, and proceeded to post up better results that Poongko later on. All this while people are going on about how Daigo got "exposed" at Evo.

My takeaway from the Javi vs. PP set was this: Javi played really well with a very, VERY fast offense that kept PP off his toes, even though that offense included some actions that most American Foxes don't use or consider optimal. He earned his win over PP in that set, and his bravery and speed are major contributing factors. Is he better? I don't know yet. No one does. It'll take seeing him in action again and again before we can start to see that. However, johning for PP is wrong, because he would know (I hope) more than anyone that he just lost, no johns demanded.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
Because hbox doesn't break out his ness yet and armada is too successful in the MU to change characters.
hahaha what

can anyone answer me why hbox just doesn't CP? Does he really think his alts will lose to a young link? YOUNG LINK IS SO BAD

seriously i'm sure that hbox has a sheik that could do it. hbox has insane fundamentals

Tink

Smash Hero
fro said:
I'll give an example from Street Fighter. Poongko beat Daigo (yes, THAT Daigo) at Evo, finishing him with a perfect. Guess what? Daigo got him back in a first to 10 set, and proceeded to post up better results that Poongko later on. All this while people are going on about how Daigo got "exposed" at Evo.
yo, u cant just use the best SF player ever in a counter example -_-....also, im very much into SF/marvel scene and watch streams/commentary and read opionions/articles about the events....and never did anyyyy of the pros think, truthfully, that daigo was exposed(how can u be exposed by a player thats veryy close to your skill?), and on top of that...poongko did, and has proven himself in many tournaments against all kinds of pros before and after that evo 0_o.

were comparing a proven amazing player against someone whos gone to only one national 0_o.....thats a big differnce in examples.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
hahaha what

can anyone answer me why hbox just doesn't CP? Does he really think his alts will lose to a young link? YOUNG LINK IS SO BAD

seriously i'm sure that hbox has a sheik that could do it. hbox has insane fundamentals
thats not really an answer though, because armada would cp sheik with peach. Therefore, the winner of the set would be determined by the double blind at the beginning. So at best he would win half the sets, which in fact he already did at apex with puff...

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
But HBox is more likely to pull out a win as Jiggs vs Young Link than Armada is to win as Young Link vs Sheik, so it should still be in his favor.

john!

Smash Hero
But HBox is more likely to pull out a win as Jiggs vs Young Link than Armada is to win as Young Link vs Sheik, so it should still be in his favor.
armada's young link is pretty damn good, it was beating some great players from what i heard. depends on how good hbox's sheik is though.

the deadlock situation that the double blind rule was designed to address is one of the weakest aspects of our current counterpick ruleset IMO

i've been in this situation a few times (where the double blind pick basically decided the set). i can imagine it being fairly common back in the days when fox/marth/sheik was a rock-paper-scissors style top tier

Scythe

Smash Master
the deadlock situation that the double blind rule was designed to address is one of the weakest aspects of our current counterpick ruleset IMO
this is common is pretty much every fighting game ruleset

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
What I got outta reading the last few posts is that all sets should be decided by rock paper scissors beforehand and the actual sets played out only for funsies and entertainment. RPS ftw.

ORLY

Smash Master
if bigD can't make it, the entire soul of the tournament is lost

unless a long lost korean sheik player were to, somehow, make it to this..

EDIT: WAITASEC. WE HAVE ONE OF THOSE!

we shall endure!

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
if bigD can't make it, the entire soul of the tournament is lost

unless a long lost korean sheik player were to, somehow, make it to this..

EDIT: WAITASEC. WE HAVE ONE OF THOSE!

we shall endure!
lulz i'm confirmed but dang, wanted to see the big dizzle. i'll be landing in a few hours homies~

ORLY

Smash Master
Ray chun the weather is such **** right now

But we may be able to get a smashfest tomorrow. Matt said he wanted to play too

@Dante: it'd be nice to finally meet you. Keep us informed on whether you and Sanchaz can attend. I have more pokemon memorabilia that he would be interested to MM over

Top Bottom