• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

MDupont

Smash Cadet
how do you know that sonic is number 20th and not 19th
Because if you right click on his icon, and go to Properties, you can see that the image ends with 20. All icons end with a number. They are in order of which SSB game they were introduced in. Number 19 is a mystery, but many are hoping for Pikmin.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Once again, there's nothing to say there won't be icons past 20, but for some reason, i always get the feeling that there's a chance there won't.

All i'm hoping is that Olimar gets in there somewhere.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Me too, but that's because of my dumb little theory I had.

This theory goes like this:

15: Animal Crossing
16: Wario Ware
17: Metal Gear
18: Kid Icarus
19: ???
20: Sonic the Hedgehog
21: ???
22: ???
23: ???

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well if the third 3rd party character is in a different franchise...I really don't think they are in competition with Geno...who is in the Mario franchise

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Me too, but that's because of my dumb little theory I had.

This theory goes like this:

15: Animal Crossing
16: Wario Ware
17: Metal Gear
18: Kid Icarus
19: ???
20: Sonic the Hedgehog
21: ???
22: ???
23: ???
Actually to make this theory wore you have to change Kid Icarus to Pit

19 has to be between the letters P to S

So a series that starts with P, Q, R, or S would fit in this spot, or main character that fits the spot.

I'm not sure of Pit's Japanese name though.

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
Actually to make this theory wore you have to change Kid Icarus to Pit

19 has to be between the letters P to S

So a series that starts with P, Q, R, or S would fit in this spot, or main character that fits the spot.

I'm not sure of Pit's Japanese name though.
Pik..min?...

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
symbol 19 will be Mega Man
before seeing sonic, i might have disagreed with you, even if i wanted it beyond all words.

But now, I'll believe anything's possible.

We might as well start hoping for Cloud and Sephiroth, or even bloody roar characters. Street fighter?

The possibilities... endless

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
before seeing sonic, i might have disagreed with you, even if i wanted it beyond all words.

But now, I'll believe anything's possible.

We might as well start hoping for Cloud and Sephiroth, or even bloody roar characters. Street fighter?

The possibilities... endless
Nah, Sonic was fairly predictable, and he is a good fit, with his ties to Nintendo.

My money's on Megaman (AKA Rockman, which would fit into the icon slot alphabetically) as number 19.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
If this whole "alphabetizing" is true (which I'm pretty sure it isn't), then you can kiss Megaman goodbye because Pikmin will definitely get the #19 spot.

(And why you ask do I not think it's true? Well, for example, this theory was used to "prove" the Ice Climbers would not be returning because they didn't fit in with "Aisu Kuraima." But, of course, they did get in...and now they changed it to "Popo." I'm just saying there are way too many inconsistencies to this thing...)

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
From page one:

1.Smash Bros.
2.DK series
3.Fox series
4.Kirby Series
5.F-Zero series
6.Metroid Series
7.Earthbound/Mother series
8.Pokemon Series
9. Zelda Series
10. Mario series
11.Yoshi series
12.Fire Emblem icon
13.???
14.Ice Climbers series
15.Animal Crossing icon
16.Wario symbol
17.Snakes FOXHOUND symbol
18.Pit's Symbol
19.???
20.Sonic

So we're missing 2 now? I just hope they get filled out soon. (Golden Sun and Custom Robo plz!)

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
From page one:

1.Smash Bros.
2.DK series
3.Fox series
4.Kirby Series
5.F-Zero series
6.Metroid Series
7.Earthbound/Mother series
8.Pokemon Series
9. Zelda Series
10. Mario series
11.Yoshi series
12.Fire Emblem icon
13.???
14.Ice Climbers series
15.Animal Crossing icon
16.Wario symbol
17.Snakes FOXHOUND symbol
18.Pit's Symbol
19.???
20.Sonic

So we're missing 2 now? I just hope they get filled out soon. (Golden Sun and Custom Robo plz!)
13 is game and watch

does nobody read the first post?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
13 is Mr. Game & Watch. 13 has to be a Melee icon, so G&W is the only one it could possibly be.

If Nya is telling the truth, then 19 will be Olimar. That's where the Pikmin icon would fit if Olimar is in the game.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i halfway agree with grim. i think it is alphabetized, but we don't know what half of the japanese names are, so we can't draw anything from it.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Yes, we do know the Japanese names. The thing that makes it confusing is that they use character names for some of them, and game names for others.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
(And why you ask do I not think it's true? Well, for example, this theory was used to "prove" the Ice Climbers would not be returning because they didn't fit in with "Aisu Kuraima." But, of course, they did get in...and now they changed it to "Popo." I'm just saying there are way too many inconsistencies to this thing...)
No one said anything about this list proving that Ice Climbers would not come back. People just said that they might not if they use Aisu Kuraima. However, even before they were confirmed, it was suggested that they could possibly go under the name Popo (due to the fact that some of the symbols use the character name and some use the name of the series). I'm still not saying this theory is 100% true, but to say that we were claiming that IC was deconfirmed is a lie.

Arteen

Smash Lord
01 (Super Smash Bros): Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu
02 (Donkey Kong): Donkī Kongu
03 (Star Fox): Sutā Fokkusu
04 (Kirby's Dream Land): Hoshi no Kābī
(Kirby): Kābī
05 (F-Zero): Efu Zero
06 (Metroid): Metoroido
07 (Mother): Mazā
(Mother): Mother
08 (Pokemon | Poket Monsters): Poketto Monsutā
09 (The Legend of Zelda): Zeruda no Densetsu
(Zelda): Zeruda
10 (Super Mario Brothers): Sūpā Mario Burazāzu
(Mario): Mario
11 (Yoshi): Yosshī
12 (Fire Emblem): Faiā Emuburemu
13: ??
(Game and Watch): Gēmu ando Wotchi
(Mr. Game and Watch): Misutā Gēmu ando Wotchi
14 (Ice Climber): Aisu Kuraimā
15 (Animal Crossing | Animal Forest): Dōbutsu no Mori
16 (Wario): Wario
(WarioWare | Made in Wario): Meido in Wario
17 (Metal Gear): Metaru Gia
18 (Kid Icarus | Mirror of Palutena): Parutena no Kagami
(Kid Icarus | Myth of Light): Hikari Shinwa
19: ??
(Pikmin): Pikumin
20 (Sonic the Hedgehog): Sonikku za Hejjihoggu

Other notable series:
(Castlevania | Demon Castle Dracula): Akumajō Dorakyura
(Balloon Fight): Barūn Faito
(Legend of Stafy): Densetsu no Stafy
(Advance Wars | Famicom Wars): Famikon Wōzu
(Joy Mech Fight): Joi Meka Faito
(Custom Robo): Kasutamu Robo
(Castlevania): Kyassuruvania
(Takamaru's game | Mysterious Murasame Castle): Nazo no Murasame-jō
(Golden Sun): Ōgon no Taiyō
(Punch Out)L Panchi-Auto
(Tetris Attack | Panel de Pon): Panel de Pon
(Megaman | Rockman): Rokkuman
(Drill Dozer | Screw Breaker): Sukuryūbureikā Gōshin Dorirurero

The list is mostly alphabetic by game title, except for a few exceptions or questionable areas. Those are 03-05, 06-07, 09, 14, and 18. I think the list is supposed to be grouped by SSB game and mostly by series titles, but not entirely. Zelda just doesn't fit, and using Fox for Star Fox and Popo for Ice Climbers is rather arbitrary.

It seems very likely that G&W and Olimar will be in, so the only room for new series would be at 21+, and unless we get no one else or Jill from Drill Dozer gets in, the remaining new series will be out-of-order alphabetically.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
The list is mostly alphabetic by game title, except for a few exceptions or questionable areas. Those are 03-05, 06-07, 09, 14, and 18. I think the list is supposed to be grouped by SSB game and mostly by series titles, but not entirely. Zelda just doesn't fit, and using Fox for Star Fox and Popo for Ice Climbers is rather arbitrary.
Zelda fits. Use the main character's name, Link (aka Rinku)

Yes, we do know the Japanese names. The thing that makes it confusing is that they use character names for some of them, and game names for others.
I have a theory about why some use character names and some use series names. It's a little complicated so bare with me. Please read carefully, cause it's really hard to explain in writing.

Character Name - If in the character's first appearance in a smash game, it was alone (it had no other support characters from its series), then it uses the character name. For example, in the first smash bros, Link was by himself, so, on the list, they use Link's name despite the fact that Zelda, Ganondorf, and Young Link have since joined him.

Series Name - If in the character's first appearance in a smash game, it had a support character from its series, then it uses the series name. For example, in the first smash bros, Mario and Luigi were together, so they use the series name, Super Mario.

I'm pretty sure this works with everyone on the list. It applies to characters new to Melee too. For example, Roy and Marth appeared together, so they used the series name, Fire Emblem. Ice Climbers appeared alone, so they used the character name, Popo. Please understand this is just a theory and I am not saying that this is true at all, although it works so far.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
^^^ I like it.

Golden Sun, Punch Out, and Castelvania seem most likely for the #19 spot.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
No one said anything about this list proving that Ice Climbers would not come back. People just said that they might not if they use Aisu Kuraima. However, even before they were confirmed, it was suggested that they could possibly go under the name Popo (due to the fact that some of the symbols use the character name and some use the name of the series). I'm still not saying this theory is 100% true, but to say that we were claiming that IC was deconfirmed is a lie.
Actually, a lot of people did. I'm too lazy to go find the "IC deconfirmation" thread that was solely based on that, though...

And your explanation only further shows how the theory is only loosely based on anything because they arbitrarily change from series name to character name. There is no pattern other than...it fits the order provided.

Let me also add that if this is indeed true, then consider Sonic series the last icon to be had. I don't think there are any major series left that begin after "Son"...

It not only makes the theory confusing, it makes it questionable.

I have a theory about why some use character names and some use series names. It's a little complicated so bare with me. Please read carefully, cause it's really hard to explain in writing.

Character Name - If in the character's first appearance in a smash game, it was alone (it had no other support characters from its series), then it uses the character name. For example, in the first smash bros, Link was by himself, so, on the list, they use Link's name despite the fact that Zelda, Ganondorf, and Young Link have since joined him.

Series Name - If in the character's first appearance in a smash game, it had a support character from its series, then it uses the series name. For example, in the first smash bros, Mario and Luigi were together, so they use the series name, Super Mario.

I'm pretty sure this works with everyone on the list. It applies to characters new to Melee too. For example, Roy and Marth appeared together, so they used the series name, Fire Emblem. Ice Climbers appeared alone, so they used the character name, Popo. Please understand this is just a theory and I am not saying that this is true at all, although it works so far.
Your theory doesn't work either. Ignoring that Nana was with Popo in Ice Climber...Fox isn't the sole rep of SF. There is Falco as well as the rest of the SF team.

So, you say it's only those you could control that get the series name? Well how about Kirby? It's his series name and you could only control him. You could control more drivers than just Captain Falcon in F-Zero. How about Metroid? Samus is like the only character in the game. Why not "Samus" instead of "Metroid"?? How about Mother? It's "Maza," which is out of order. Oh, "Nesu" you say? I guess that means he's confirmed as in the game because "Ryuka" is before "Poketto Monsuta." How about Wario Wario and Metal Gear, too? Your pattern just doesn't work.

Show me a solid pattern, and I'll buy into it. As of right now, though, it's just too haphazard.

DragoonFenix15

Smash Apprentice
Ahh, Grim Lizard? He's just talking about Smash Bros itself. Fox originally appeared alone, in SSB64, so he would be filed under 'Fox' and not 'Star Fox'. Falcon didn't join until Melee, etc.

I think this theory is worth looking into!

gnosis

Smash Lord

I had this theory a long time ago, till a quick skim of the list revealed "Mother", "Metroid", and so on. Franchises that started as singular characters in Smash, yet named by series. Along with that, Metal Gear, Kid Icarus, and Animal Crossing are all series based and I really doubt that any of those series will get more than one character.

Yeah Ness could replace Mother, but Samus can't replace Metroid, and she's still (kind of) alone.

So there you go, it hasn't worked for a while now.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Ahh, Grim Lizard? He's just talking about Smash Bros itself. Fox originally appeared alone, in SSB64, so he would be filed under 'Fox' and not 'Star Fox'. Falcon didn't join until Melee, etc.
Captain Falcon was in SSB 64. Also, why would it matter what characters were alone or not in the first game? I seriously doubt that they're making sure to preserve an arbitrary series numbering scheme from an 8-years-old N64 game. Besides, all but Mario/Luigi and Pikachu/Jigglypuff were alone in SSB. For example, why Metroid instead of Samus?

Top Bottom