• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Alphabetical order in japanese looks NOTHING like our alphabetical order with the names written in romaji. It would make very little sense to me if they bothered to translate the names in romaji just to use our alphabetical ordering with them.

I bet you would have to look at how everything's written in katakanas and order them with the katakana ordering.
I mentioned that some time ago and it came up...

...but for some reason was soon forgotten
I love you guys! i wanna see how they can refute this now guys! i always wondered why they would write in that japanese-english mix, it doesnt make any sense...

bluebomber22

Smash Champion

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Alphabetical order in japanese looks NOTHING like our alphabetical order with the names written in romaji. It would make very little sense to me if they bothered to translate the names in romaji just to use our alphabetical ordering with them.

I bet you would have to look at how everything's written in katakanas and order them with the katakana ordering.
People keep bringing up this fact. Yes we know, but it works and hasn't failed once yet.

You either take the Japanese of the the series or main character and it works out perfectly. Continue to deny it works. Though until something proves it wrong, its a viable theory. Only two chances for that now. 13 and 19. (Also a possibility for a 21 or above)

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Think about the debug menu from Melee. Most of the characters are listed by their name, but Roy is called 'EMBLEM' for some reason. I think that these icons are listed by names similar to the names used in the debug menu. Link's icon could be listed as 'TRIFORCE' for all we know. Also, some of the characters in the debug menu are listed by their English name, and others are listed by their Japanese name.

It could look like this.

01.SMASHBROS
02.DKONG
03.FOX
04.KIRBY
05.KYAPUTEN
06.METROID
07.MOTHER
08.POKEMON
09.TRIFORCE
10.SUPERMARIO
11.YOSHI
12.EMBLEM
13.GAMEWATCH
14.POPONANA
15.ANIMAL
16.MADEWARIO
17.METALGEAR
18.PARUTENA
19.PIKMIN
20.SONIC

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
I agree, it hasn't been proven wrong yet after all,, and just because it's unorthodox for the arrangement to be in English alphabetical order doesn't mean it's impossible.

We will have to see for the next few icons before it can honestly be disproven.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Megaman is looking more likely...

...could Pikmin not be represented?
Just because you want him more doesn't make him more likely. A first party Miyamoto character is way more likely than Megaman.

I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that Megaman is going to be in. He's no more likely than half a dozen other 3rd party characters I could name. And we're not even 100% certain that there will be another 3rd party character. If there is one, the most likely one is Tails.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
If there is one, the most likely one is Tails.
Back up that statement.

Anyways... I'm still crossing my fingers this is wrong, because it would be a real disappointment if my most wanted character didn't make it...

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Just because you want him more doesn't make him more likely. A first party Miyamoto character is way more likely than Megaman.

I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that Megaman is going to be in. He's no more likely than half a dozen other 3rd party characters I could name. And we're not even 100% certain that there will be another 3rd party character. If there is one, the most likely one is Tails.
....... are u serious??? u tell the other guy that the fact the he wants a character doesnt make him more likely, and then u say that the more likely one is tails?????

if it was a joke ok, but it didnt really seemed to be a joke, so, if u really think that u should either read what u wrote "not because u want a character he is more likely" or stop writing stuff like that at all

for all the characters there are, u picked one that has no chance at all!!

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I think sonics symble is going to be the last...
And thats becuase he is a 3d party charascter... And the onlyone that hasnt been realeasedin the beginning.. and snake is #17 so i think 19 is going to be 3d party or someone with an unlikly chance...
Dont forget Sakurai said there will only be 1-2 3d part SERIES other than snakes...

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I think sonics symble is going to be the last...
And thats becuase he is a 3d party charascter... And the onlyone that hasnt been realeasedin the beginning.. and snake is #17 so i think 19 is going to be 3d party or someone with an unlikly chance...
Dont forget Sakurai said there will only be 1-2 3d part SERIES other than snakes...
Did he? I'm positive he said characters.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
::Sigh:: Yet again...

1 = Smash Universe
2 - 11 = Universes introduced SSB64
12 - 14 = Universes introduced in SSBM (Fire Emblem, G&W, Ice Climber)
14 + = New Universes started in Brawl.
Everyone agrees with that. They just don't agree that the alphabetical order is right.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
CronoMaster
....... are u serious??? u tell the other guy that the fact the he wants a character doesnt make him more likely, and then u say that the more likely one is tails?????

if it was a joke ok, but it didnt really seemed to be a joke, so, if u really think that u should either read what u wrote "not because u want a character he is more likely" or stop writing stuff like that at all

for all the characters there are, u picked one that has no chance at all!!
Tails is the most likely because he is the most likely, not because I want him to be in.

We have no idea if Capcom, Namco, Hudsoft, Square Enix, or anybody else has even been asked about using there characters. So at this point, the most likely 3rd party character besides Sonic and Snake would be someone else from Sega or Konami. Out of all the possible characters from both Sega and Konami, Tails seems the most likely to me.

Not to mention that Megaman is practically disconfirmed by the fact that Captain Olimar is pretty much a shoo-in, and only one of them can have the #19 spot.

Now I'm going to be yelled at by all the Megaman fans, but I don't care.

hectichobo
No, he said characters. Maybe you wanted to hear series, but that doesn't make it true.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Except it's not true and makes absolutely no sense. The only true "order" of the world icons is the fact that it goes SSB franchises -> Melee Franchises -> New Franchises.

The fact that you have to randomly switch between the franchise title and the name of the main character to fit this puzzle together should make it obvious that it's not true and has no logic behind it. It's just desperate fans trying WAY too hard to get clued in on who'll be in the game.
Debug mode says hi.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Because obviously Link is just a random Legend of Zelda character.
What, he's the main character? Why would you omit that little tidbit of information?

If the character in place of "Zeruda no Densetsu" would be Ganondorf or even Malon or something, then yes, this would be completely baseless.
But the way it is, the probability that this theory could work so well is just twice as large as the probability that a list without such deviations would have formed completely through coincidence.
I'm no expert on calculating probability, but this only means you can choose from either the franchise name or the name of the main character. Which is either 2 or even 1 letter out of about 25. (Not counting c.)

This is what I'm talking about, it just doesn't alter between random character names.

Either the series name or the main characters name will be used.

Zek

Smash Ace
The inconsistency between game name and character name on that Japanese list is absurd, there's no way that's how it's done. Why would they alphabetize half of them by game name and half of them by character name? That makes no sense. Is there a different way of alphabetizing the characters in Japanese or something?

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
This is why I hate the theory now.

Because Icon 19 is either going to go to Olimar (Pikmin) or Megaman (Rockman)

I want Mega Man in so badly but seeing how Olimar is a Nintendo character he'll most likely get in over Megaman.

Zek

Smash Ace
This is why I hate the theory now.

Because Icon 19 is either going to go to Olimar (Pikmin) or Megaman (Rockman)

I want Mega Man in so badly but seeing how Olimar is a Nintendo character he'll most likely get in over Megaman.
I don't know why people think Captain Olimar is such a likely addition. It's completely possible that they decided against him, his franchise has only existed since the Gamecube.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The inconsistency between game name and character name on that Japanese list is absurd, there's no way that's how it's done. Why would they alphabetize half of them by game name and half of them by character name? That makes no sense. Is there a different way of alphabetizing the characters in Japanese or something?
People have explained why it makes sense countless times. I explained it on the last page. Stop asking that if you're just going to ignore people when they explain it to you.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I don't know why people think Captain Olimar is such a likely addition. It's completely possible that they decided against him, his franchise has only existed since the Gamecube.
Which makes him a newer series and Smash is trying to represent as many series as possible. Also he was a series created by Miyamoto himself, I can remember a few others created by Miyamoto Zelda, Mario.. so if Miyamoto wanted him in, he'd be in. Plus with the likelyhood of an upcomign Wii Pikmin game it'd be a good way to grab a bigger crowd to it. He's a unique character and would be a great representation, to think he wouldn't be in is silly.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
There's no doubt in my mind he'll be in.

But will he be playable? Maybe. Maybe not.

Honestly I see him as an AT.

Zek

Smash Ace
People have explained why it makes sense countless times. I explained it on the last page. Stop asking that if you're just going to ignore people when they explain it to you.
No they haven't. I've yet to see a plausible explanation for why a small handful of series(Star Fox, F-Zero, Zelda, Ice Climber) are listed by main character and the rest are listed by game title. It's not impossible but it's not a logical system at all, I find it hard to believe that they would go out of their way to maintain the list in that order when they could easily just have arranged them all by series. These icons don't refer to the characters, they refer to the franchise that characters/items/stages/etc come from.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's Mindgames people.

It's the clear answer.

All this that he does is to mess with our heads and create tension. All for his amusement.

METROID MAN

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's Mindgames people.

It's the clear answer.

All this that he does is to mess with our heads and create tension. All for his amusement.

yes, im sure sakuri sits at him in front of his monitor laughing maniacally!

"YES! THATS RIGHT! YOU'VE FALLEN RIGHT INTO MY TRAP! GO AHEAD, LOOK AT THE URL OF EACH CHARACTER ICON IN DETAIL, THESE NUMBERS ARE JUST THERE TO DISTRACT YOU WHILE I SET OF A MISSILE TO NORTH AMERICA! MUWAHAHAHAHA"

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
Dude. I'm dead serious.

Why else would Sakurai include Assist Trophies and Bosses.

He is PLAYING with our emotions.

Every update causes a huge reaction that sends waves of confusion, dispair, anger, joy, excitement, and passion on massive levels. He thrives on it. HE LIVES FOR IT.

Every action creates a reaction, and he's just sitting back working on his game all the while looking at our reactions.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Mindgames build publicity.
Logically, the 19th would be Pikmin, if the theory is valid.
But it isn't.
Olimar will be playable, though, because of the Almighty Miyamoto.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Is there any other Japanese spelling, character name, or any other alias for either Megaman or Pikmin which could mean that both series, by this theory, could be in?

Because as cool as it would be having Megaman in, i want Olimar more than anything.

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
Is there any other Japanese spelling, character name, or any other alias for either Megaman or Pikmin which could mean that both series, by this theory, could be in?

Because as cool as it would be having Megaman in, i want Olimar more than anything.
Megaman is called Rockman in Japan, so if I'm following this theory right, Pikmin could be 19, then Rockman would be 20.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
OK. Let's go.

Right now, the icon theory is sketchy. The only thing it ensures is the return of Mr. Game and Watch.

Icon number 19? I think it could be anything.

Will the icons go over 20? I bet you my shoes, they will. Remember when some people thought they wouldn't go over 18?

Will there be another third party franchise? Sakurai said, 1 or 2, BESIDES Snake. We already have the 1, can we get the "or 2"? With so many candidates, it IS possible, but it's also possible there is not another one. 50/50 on this one, but I'm hoping for another one.

Now, why thinking there is only one more unrevealed franchise is silly:

Hidden characters. More likely than not, some franchises will be totally hidden. Fire Emblem was, GAW was, and it even had a stage. Etc.

And the third third party is more likely NOT Tails. Dude, the fact that it would be easy to get him doesn't make him likely at all. *IF* Nintendo wants another third party, they can and WILL get it. And guess what? I wouldn't bet it's unlikely that there are more developers like Kojima, who would like their creations in Smash. There will either be no more third parties or a third party that is NOT Tails.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
Dude. I'm dead serious.

Why else would Sakurai include Assist Trophies and Bosses.

He is PLAYING with our emotions.

Every update causes a huge reaction that sends waves of confusion, dispair, anger, joy, excitement, and passion on massive levels. He thrives on it. HE LIVES FOR IT.

Every action creates a reaction, and he's just sitting back working on his game all the while looking at our reactions.
is he like that thing is ghostbusters 2 that grew on bad emotions?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ha! Someone else is taking credit for the icon theory and all the new people are posting links to it using it as evidence of crap

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Ha! Someone else is taking credit for the icon theory and all the new people are posting links to it using it as evidence of crap
It's not like it's copyrighted or anything...Jeez, now more people know of it, and who knows...they might have figured it out without coming here.

Top Bottom