• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
The part that matters is the fact it goes in order of 64, Melee, than Brawl...

THe other part is more of an assumption...

But Someone needs to find the RIGHT Japanese Alphabet, like you said and see if the second part matches up
oh, the first part definitely makes sense. they're in order by game. but i think the alphabetical order by japanese name is just a coincidence. they'd either be in english, sorted by the english alphabet, or in japanese, sorted by the japanese alphabet. not a mix of the two.

Fawriel

Smash Master
The question is, is there even a Japanese alphabet that the characters could be sorted by?

I think that discussion came up once already and someone who actually knows stuff about Japanese explained that there's not much of an order there...

Besides, almost all those names are not based on Japanese names or words, but English or Italian or whatnot. So it makes sense to sort them by the rules of the alphabet their names are inherently spelled in, as the Japanese forms are only transliterations.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since we don't know what the pattern exactly is...other than it goes 64, Melee, then Brawl...

...We can't predict how many or what characters/ franchises are going to be in Brawl other than Game & Watch...

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
The question is, is there even a Japanese alphabet that the characters could be sorted by?

I think that discussion came up once already and someone who actually knows stuff about Japanese explained that there's not much of an order there...

Besides, almost all those names are not based on Japanese names or words, but English or Italian or whatnot. So it makes sense to sort them by the rules of the alphabet their names are inherently spelled in, as the Japanese forms are only transliterations.
well, i admit i'm no expert whatsoever at japanese, but it just seems a little fishy the way that some of those names are spelled to make the pattern work. take Ice Climbers, for instance. now it's sorted under "Popo" instead of the series name. o_O

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
All evidence is pointing to his return
Oh well, maybe they'll make flatzone not suck this time around...

G&W himself is...ok...to play with, he's unique, thats a cool thin, but I jus gennerally suck with him:p

Ah well, must be col for the G&W fans.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
ylink_underestimted
hold up: r u referring to me because i said that the 3RD PARTY ICON SECTION was deconfirmed?
No, aran fusion said that this proves that the icons aren't in any specific order because Snake's is before Pit's, which makes no sense because Snake's should be before Pit's. But I wasn't referring to him specifically either, someone says something stupid like that everytime we get a new icon.

Fawriel

Then how would you explain the fact that all of the icons end up going exactly where they're predicted to go? They're clearly in order. The only thing that makes it confusing is that some of them are listed by their game's name, and some of them are listed by their main character's name for some reason.

F@lc0-san
But, couldnt there be a 19th and a 20th icon?
Yes.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
No, aran fusion said that this proves that the icons aren't in any specific order because Snake's is before Pit's, which makes no sense because Snake's should be before Pit's. But I wasn't referring to him specifically either, someone says something stupid like that everytime we get a new icon.
I said what I said not meaning it disproved anything, tard.

I said it means there can be more icons after Pits simply because Sakurai didnt split 3rd party icons from the normal icons.

Learn
To
READ.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Then how would you explain the fact that all of the icons end up going exactly where they're predicted to go? They're clearly in order. The only thing that makes it confusing is that some of them are listed by their game's name, and some of them are listed by their main character's name for some reason.
Learn to read indeed. I was defending the theory.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Ah-ha! It seems Snake is number 17. So Sakurai didnt put third parties in a different section.

Kirb94

Smash Cadet
This was found on NSider. The 13th will be Game & Watch. I can bet good money on it.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
The theory proves to be right again :D

Only thing now that can even break this theory is the absents of Mr. Game&Watch

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Yeah, that was me. And you're correct, I said there is no mystical alphabetical order that the Japanese use that you people can apply to this theory.

And guess what, this little alphabetical order theory doesn't hold any water. Its right there in the first post, just to make the Zelda icon fit the order people wanted it to, instead of writing "Zelda" the OP decided to use "Link" as the name which is clearly WRONG.

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
only 1 space left guys.

It's gotta be Game & Watch.
Theres no other possibility.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmmm. I guess one assumption about the theory is broken, and that is that third party characters need to be at the end of the list. Technically now, there could be any number of icons that go after Pit's, but I guess we'll see in time if that happens or not.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
well, i admit i'm no expert whatsoever at japanese, but it just seems a little fishy the way that some of those names are spelled to make the pattern work. take Ice Climbers, for instance. now it's sorted under "Popo" instead of the series name. o_O
I'm pretty sure that, if you hack into the Melee debug menus, Ice Climbers are referred to as "Poponana". So it's not unprecedented.

only 1 space left guys.

It's gotta be Game & Watch.
Theres no other possibility.
I've said it earlier in the thread, and I'll it again, even though I'll just get flamed for it. There is technically one other possibility. Many rumors claim that there were characters present in the Melee beta that got removed in the final build due to time restraints preventing the developers from finishing the characters (Balloon Fighter used to get this a lot). If these rumors are true, and one of those characters appears in Brawl, it's possible that the creator of the list might have considered them to be a Melee character, thus qualifying them for the 13th slot.

Is this more likely than Game & Watch returning? No, his chances are still high. But "definitely" and "almost definitely" can yield drastically different results when all is said and done.

And of course there isn't "one space left". There are an infinite number of potential slots that could come after 17. As long as either the character or series name comes after "Parutena", that is.

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
Yeah, that was me. And you're correct, I said there is no mystical alphabetical order that the Japanese use that you people can apply to this theory.

And guess what, this little alphabetical order theory doesn't hold any water. Its right there in the first post, just to make the Zelda icon fit the order people wanted it to, instead of writing "Zelda" the OP decided to use "Link" as the name which is clearly WRONG.
I can't tell you how glad I am to see this already debunked before I got here.

Youse mugs is alright.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, that'll probarly mean that we won't get Sonic in Brawl after all! =)

the grim lizard

Smash Master
You guys are silly. They aren't in alphabetical order. Why? Because they arbitrarily change between the name of the Japanese game and the name of the main character. If it were in any sort of order beyond just game appearances, they would be consistent. But, they aren't consistent.

Someone please answer me that.

Fawriel

Smash Master
The switch between character and franchise names might not be that arbitrary. Someone suggested that it goes back and forth per "category", which, I think, goes well for a while until some point.
Also, Wyvern pointed out that the Ice Climbers were "Poponana" in the debug menu, something that could be looked into.

But in the end, it doesn't matter how much it seems like TEH CONSPIARCY.
This whole thing is much like science. We have a few pieces of evidence and worked out a way to be able to calculate and predict stuff with it, and so far, it has worked.
And since it has worked, there is no reason to change it until we are presented with an instance where the system fails, which would be absolute proof that it's faulty.
Until then, question it all you want, it won't change a thing.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
The only things we "predicted" were obvious. The Snake symbol thing was just a guess. There were just as many people saying it wouldn't go there as there were saying it would.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
This whole thing is much like science. We have a few pieces of evidence and worked out a way to be able to calculate and predict stuff with it, and so far, it has worked.
And since it has worked, there is no reason to change it until we are presented with an instance where the system fails, which would be absolute proof that it's faulty.
QFT

The alphabet thing is a little questionable, as it has been pointed out that A.) Japanese alphabet is a grid, that contains characters from... you know what? **** it, here's the standard format of hiragana, the standard Japanese alphabet. Ergo there's no pattern in Japanese (the other phoenic alphabet follows this same pattern.)

The English alphabetical response makes sense, as many Japanese do fully intend to or actually do speak some English, and probably understand that alphabet. However, the whole alternating-between-series-names-and-character-names thing does seem a little fishy.

What we do know is that the Melee-exclusive series' icons come after the SSB64 series' icons. And that Brawl-exclusive series' icons come after Melee-exclusive series' icons. That is irrefutable.

Algus Underdunk

Smash Journeyman
The switch between character and franchise names might not be that arbitrary. Someone suggested that it goes back and forth per "category", which, I think, goes well for a while until some point.
Also, Wyvern pointed out that the Ice Climbers were "Poponana" in the debug menu, something that could be looked into.

But in the end, it doesn't matter how much it seems like TEH CONSPIARCY.
From my own analysis, all I see is that they're grouped out to "Smash Brothers", "Smash Brothers 64", "Smash Brothers Melee" and "Smash Brothers Brawl" thus far, and that's a pattern that definitely hasn't been broken yet.

Fawriel

Smash Master
The only things we "predicted" were obvious. The Snake symbol thing was just a guess. There were just as many people saying it wouldn't go there as there were saying it would.
Well. I honestly neither know, nor care. I don't follow this closely, it just seems plausible enough to me. The one thing we seem to agree on for sure is that G&W will return, and if that happens, and he's in the same spot that was predicted for him, that makes this thread worthwhile enough.
And if we get any more characters in spots like 23 or something and we get to speculate about what could still fit inside the gap, well, awesome!

My philosophy in this respect is "just wait and see what happens", it's really no use getting one's underwear in a knot over it. Not implying that you are, just saying. :p

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
You guys are silly. They aren't in alphabetical order. Why? Because they arbitrarily change between the name of the Japanese game and the name of the main character. If it were in any sort of order beyond just game appearances, they would be consistent. But, they aren't consistent.

Someone please answer me that.
You're talking like we could have twisted any random list into an alphabetical one if we tried hard enough. That's not true. Any given character on the list has, at most, two different potential names (some, like Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi only have one choice). Do you know how low the odds were against those names winding up in a viable alphabetical order by mere chance? If Donkey Kong had been ANYWHERE but number 2, alphabetizing the list would have been impossible. If Yoshi had been ANYWHERE but number 11 or 10 (accounting for the possibility of Zeruda no Densetsu), alphabetizing the list would have been impossible. If Animal Crossing had been ANYWHERE but 15, it would have been impossible. And so on and so forth.

The odds of series name vs. character name being arbitrary seem a lot higher than the odds of the whole order being arbitrary, if you ask me. It's not like they slaved for hours to make the list tidy and presentable. Nobody was supposed to see it. They just had to have slapped a file name on each symbol and put them in alphabetical order for organization's sake (heck, they were probably alphabetized automatically by the computer before they were uploaded). It seems entirely reasonable to me.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well, yeah, and that. ^^

Not to mention that I find it entirely possible that some crazy dude like Sakurai was like, "hey, let's give those nerd kids something to figure out and put some crazy pattern into the icon numbers, they love that crap!", "sure thang, boss!"

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
K...

So I plotted the order of how it would be if it were to strictly follow Japanese phoenic alphabet by series name, and making considerations for Smash Universe being 1 (paramount), and the series being divided by which Smash they premired in. (It's been confirmed.) Here's how it would go:

01: Dairantō Smash Brothers (Super Smash Bros.)
02: Efu Zero (F-Zero) (E)
03: Suupaa Mario (Super Mario) (SU)
04: Sutaa Fokkusu (Star Fox) (SU)
05: Zeruda no Densetsu (Zelda) (SE/ZE)
06: Donkī Kongu (Donkey Kong) (TO/DO)
07: Hoshi no Kābii (Kirby) (HO)
08: Poketto Monsutaa (Pokemon) (PO)
09: Mazaa (Mother) (MA)
10: Metoroido (Metroid) (ME)
11: Yosshī (Yoshi) (YO)
12: Aisu Kuraima (Ice Climbers) (A)
13: Gemu ando Uotchi (Game & Watch) (GE)
14: Faia Emuburemu (Fire Emblem) (FU/FA)
15: Dōbutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing) (TO/DO)
16: Parutena no Kagami (Kid Icarus) (HA/PA)
17: Made in Wario (Wario Ware) (MA)
18: Metaru Gia (Metal Gear Solid) (ME)

A few things can be rearranged, but the initial 11 are way off beyond repair.

Simply put, it's not derived from the Japanese alphabet. Period.

EDIT: I've been trying to post this for so long that I put 16 twice. My bad.

Yartch

Smash Cadet
Why can't people accept this? It works out perfect, TOO perfect to be wrong. Instead of arguing, try looking for potential series after 18, Parutena no Kagami.
I got...

Pikumin (Pikmin)
Sonikku za Hejjihoggu (Sonic)

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
SamuraiPanda

So are you saying that the series aren't in any specific order and it's all just a coincidence. Earthbound, Ice Climbers, and Snake's spot were all correctly predicted, and sooner or later Game & Watch's will be too. How do you explain that? They're clearly in alphabetical order. Some of them are listed by their game's name, and some of them are listed by their main character's name. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

Wyvern
I'm pretty sure that, if you hack into the Melee debug menus, Ice Climbers are referred to as "Poponana". So it's not unprecedented.
Exactly! That's most likely what they're listed as on this list too.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
So are you saying that the series aren't in any specific order and it's all just a coincidence.
No. There IS a specific order. SSB64, then Melee, then Brawl. That's an order.

How do you explain that?
Because of the Inclusion Order Theory. (Here on referred to as IOC. Dibs on the trademark.) We had the first eleven spaces occupied by the Smash icon and nine of the original ten universes in SSB64, minus Mother. Number Seven HAD to be Mother because it was the only one of the original ten left. Go back to posts around July 2, when Goroh was revealed. Everyone knew that the seven spot had to be Mother.

One space between Brawl-exclusive universes at seventeen did NOT confirm Snake, but it was very likely, as he was the only universe we didn't have.

On that same token, we had Fire Emblem nestled nicely between the original ten universes and the brand-new universes of Animal Crossing, WarioWare, and Kid Icarus. The spaces between original universes and new ones? Three. The number of new universes added in Melee? Three. Ice Climbers, Fire Emblem and Game & Watch.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think that it might be in alphabetical order by what the characters are called in Brawl's debug menu. Like somebody said, in Melee's debug menu Ice Climbers were called POPONANA. Also, Roy was called EMBLEM. So there's really no way to tell what any character will be called in Brawl's debug menu. But that would explain why some icons are listed by the character's name and others are listed by the game's name, since the debug menu in Melee referred to some characters as the name of their game. So all of the icons would be listed by the name of the main character from that series. So Samus's icon, for example, would be listed as her name. But the debug menu may refer to Samus as METROID instead of SAMUS.

Top Bottom