• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I don't get the whole debug menu thing.

Why would characters who were in the game before the website even launched (Samus, Link, etc.), have their universes' symbols alphabetized by their "debug" unofficial titles?

In other words, how does Ice Climbers being referred to as Poponana in the debug menu of a six year old game have any bearing on the numbering of a symbol on a website that's not even six months old?

MDupont

Smash Cadet
Who cares what theory we are using. We should now worry about what will be after 18, and if any more Nintendo Franchises will be represented.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of logos, I did make up a few fakes back at NSider.

Pikmin

Golden Sun (recently made and was never shown at NSider)

Sonic the Hedgehog

Rayman

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
It amazes me how every time we get a new icon, it further proves what's already been proven, that the icon discovery is 100% correct. And yet stupid people still post things "I guess this disproves the icon theory."
It amazes me how every time we get a new icon, it further proves what's already been proven: That icon "discovery" is 100% bull****. And yet stupid people still post some crackpot reason why this theory isn't disproved.

Then how would you explain the fact that all of the icons end up going exactly where they're predicted to go? They're clearly in order.
We have a few pieces of evidence and worked out a way to be able to calculate and predict stuff with it, and so far, it has worked.
Wow, I suppose that beats me...

12, 13 and 14 are (Most likely) from SSBM, and thus should be Ice Climber (Aisu Kuraimā), Fire Emblem (Faiā Emuburemu) and Game & Watch (Gēmu ando Uotchi).
Example Proving the theory works exactly:
12. Aisu Kuraima (Ice Climbers)
13. Faia Emuburemu (Fire Emblem)
14. Gemu ando Uotchi (Game&Watch)
Now if we see number 13 as Fire Emblem, using the thoery, Ice Climbers will return (Aisu Kuraima)
Oh, snap!! If this Japanese alphabetical order theory is true, it means no Ice Climbers.
Oh, wait...

You're talking like we could have twisted any random list into an alphabetical one if we tried hard enough.
No. We're saying it like you could have twisted any random list into a "logical" one if you tried hard enough. I know, I've done it. It's quite fun.
I'd try a bit of reductio ad absurdum to illustrate this point, but I'm not sure I can think of anything more absurd than "They do it based on alphabetical order using Latin alphabet and English transliterations of Japanese character names. Except when they don't."

Many rumors claim that there were characters present in the Melee beta that got removed in the final build due to time restraints preventing the developers from finishing the characters (Balloon Fighter used to get this a lot). If these rumors are true, and one of those characters appears in Brawl, it's possible that the creator of the list might have considered them to be a Melee character, thus qualifying them for the 13th slot.
WHICH EXPLAINS WHY PIT IS IN SSB64 SECTION!! NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!!
...Oh, wait...

I think that it might be in alphabetical order by what the characters are called in Brawl's debug menu.
This one, I find reasonable, especially if it's done automatically by computer. However, we can't make any (or, we CAN make ANY) predictions using it.
Also, with theory about "removed characters," couldn't that mean that Brawl could have "removed characters?" If it does, wouldn't that cause blank spaces in icon ordering where removed series were supposed to go?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They go in order of 64, Melee, then Brawl...

GET WITH THE PROGRAM PEOPLE
^ well, to some degree.

1.At E3 2006, Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, and Samus were confirmed in the first trailer. They were all starters in SSB64 AND MELEE. Then of course they added 5 newcomers [Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and Solid f***ing Snake], and in the Nintendo Space World 2006 Trailer. Then, Zelda was randomly confirmed, followed by Bowser. Then, at Nintendo's E3 2007 Press Conference, Donkey Kong ws confirmed, and Yoshi shortly after. That's the original 8 starters from Melee, along with Zelda and Bowser. Next came Peach, and the somewat shocker the Ice Climbers. [Not even gonna go there] We're only missing 3 Melee starters: Shiek, Captain Falcon, and Ness.

Now for them, it comes down to this. As we all know [hopefully], Captain Falcon and Ness were unlockable characters in SSB64, and starters in Melee. Therefore I conclude, that if Shiek is going to be playable in Brawl, there is a strong chance she won't be playable if Captain Falcon or Ness IMO. Minus any possible newcomers [as all confirmed characters are on the site as of NOW], if Shiek is in Brawl, Captain Falcon and Ness will follw. Then...it's anybody's guess. But I imagine if Sonic or Megaman are in Brawl, Sakurai will save them for "the end". And I think that could be some big gaming event, like E for All, or something. Or even Nintendo Space World 2007 [again], even, since we got the 2nd Brawl trailer then, and I think we got one or two Melee trailers there. Definitely keep a look out for E for All and Nintendo Space World 2007 folks. ;)

As for this icon theory... "Quite frankley dear, I don't give a ****." :p

^ I use evidence, popularity, and the other 6 or 7 big points of mine to judge a character's chances in Brawl. I don't care about this stupid theory. It's just a guess, that's all. Who cares IF YOU WERE RIGHT, everyone was guessing Snake, Krystal, Captain Falcon, King Dedede, or Lucario anyways. >_<

Chepe

Smash Lord
For anyone who still tries to push those "alphabetical in some way" theories, here is a post I found on a Gamefaqs thread that seems very reliable:

"The Japanese have a different way of ordering their 'letters' than in English.

In English, we go from A-Z, But in Japanese, they go through the BASE vowels ONCE, then followed by the same pattern for each seperate intonation. Pick up ANY japanese dictionary or reference book and you'll see this. This is also the order in which Katakana/Hiragana is taught.

The order of the Japanese phonetical alphabet is as such -
A I U E O KA KI KU KE KO SA SHI SU SE SO TA CHI TSU TE TO NA NI NU NE NO HA HI FU HE HO MA MI MU ME MO YA YU YO RA RI RU RE RO WA WO N.

Furthermore, all 'accentated' words, such as 'ga' or 'bi' would fall under the non accentated words. Meaning that 'ga' words would be grouped with 'ka' in the dictionaries.

Because of this, I can safely say that the theory of the order of icons being ordered in JAPANESE is wrong.

ANOTHER main factor is that the romanization of the japanese is FAR off. There IS no character for 'Fo' in 'Fox'. In the katakana, a big 'FU' and a small 'o' is used, to denote a more smooth intonation for 'FUO'. After that comes a small 'tsu' which essentially means, take the sound of the next syllable and tack it on the back. Ergo, Fox's name in proper romanji is NOT 'Fox' but rather 'Fuokkusu', OR 'Fokkusu' for those people who insist of romanizing smaller kata/hira as part of the base character.

EITHER WAY. The first letter is NOT 'FO' but 'FU'.

While it doesn't affect the order much in THIS example, the very fact that the romanization is wrong already casts the whole thing into doubt.

Alphabetically, Kirby would be the FIRST on the list. His name is spelt 'Kaabee' (Where 'bee' is actually large 'bi' + small 'i' character). The first syllable is 'KA' making his name start with the VERY FIRST consonant pair syllable in the Japanese langauge.

I guess in the end, I wrote a lot to explain,

But what I mean to say is...

Japanese ordering theory = bullhorns =D

Also, what is up with yoshi's Japanese name being spelt 'yossi'? His Japanese name is Yosshii. There's actually a goldarn H in it. LEARN, PEOPLE.
"

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
He's obviously right about that but I think he's missing one big factor. The Japanese use a lot of English in their soceity, applying simple things with some type of English in it. Looking upon the pattern when actually placing each name with the original Japanese version yet in correct English, it looks something like this:

Series that started in Super Smash Bros.:
01: Dairantō Smash Brothers
02: Donkey Kong
03: Star Fox
04: Kirby
05: F-Zero
06: Metroid
07: Mother
08: Pocket Monsters
09: Legend of Zelda
10: Super Mario
11: Yoshi

Series that started in Super Smash Bros. Melee:
12: Fire Emblem
13:
14: Ice Climbers

Series that will start in Super Smash Bros. Brawl:
15: Animal Forest
16: Made in Wario
17: Metal Gear
18: Myth of Light (Pit's game)

Those are literally the official English names in, yes, correct English. No ugly romanization, just a clean English list. Looking upon that, I'd say that there was an obvious pattern that needs to be noticed here as at least something that's legit. We may not be able to predict who else is going to be in (except for someone like Mr. Game & Watch, which is obvious), but the pattern is indeed completely obvious.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What makes you think it might be G&W?
If you read this, you would know what it was about and the only character capable of fitting in that place was Game & Watch...that was dependent on Ice Climbers being the # Icon they were

ConnorF

Smash Rookie
Huh, the OP pasted the list I posted somewhere else a few months ago (but edited it to add the series that have been revealed since then, of course) into his/her post. (S)he didn't bother to change "??? (Most likely Mother/Earthbound)" though, whoops!

With that being said, the theory has a lot of holes and probably isn't true. I didn't think anybody would take it so seriously. Whatever. We'll never know what they were thinking when they numbered the filenames of the icons.

EDIT:

I second this.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
You came up with it, huh? Funny how you hadn't even joined when that was figurured out.

Caael

Smash Lord
He's obviously right about that but I think he's missing one big factor. The Japanese use a lot of English in their soceity, applying simple things with some type of English in it. Looking upon the pattern when actually placing each name with the original Japanese version yet in correct English, it looks something like this:

Series that started in Super Smash Bros.:
01: Dairantō Smash Brothers
02: Donkey Kong
03: Star Fox
04: Kirby
05: F-Zero
06: Metroid
07: Mother
08: Pocket Monsters
09: Legend of Zelda
10: Super Mario
11: Yoshi

Series that started in Super Smash Bros. Melee:
12: Fire Emblem
13:
14: Ice Climbers

Series that will start in Super Smash Bros. Brawl:
15: Animal Forest
16: Made in Wario
17: Metal Gear
18: Myth of Light (Pit's game)

Those are literally the official English names in, yes, correct English. No ugly romanization, just a clean English list. Looking upon that, I'd say that there was an obvious pattern that needs to be noticed here as at least something that's legit. We may not be able to predict who else is going to be in (except for someone like Mr. Game & Watch, which is obvious), but the pattern is indeed completely obvious.
That's a pretty good theory actually. Well done for finding that out.

nuro

Smash Lord
I think they will give Mr. Game&Watch a slicker look by upping the stiches in his pants. Or maybe by doing what they did to Kirby...

So the characters we haven't seen returning yet are.

Luigi
C. Falcon
G&W (Even though we know)
Jigglypuff
Shiek
Ganondorf
Ness
Falco
Marth
Dr. Mario
Young Link
Mewtwo
Roy
Pichu

I think I put the list of their chances from top to bottom. Of course some might be replaced I.E Ness/Lucas or Pichu/ Min&Plus

MDupont

Smash Cadet
Please let it be Pikmin. I hope so. They need representation badly.

Sonic FTW....

Top Bottom